The Blades potentially in europe?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Rossb123

Reaction score
I have been reading a lot of tweets etc since yesterday if we get to the Semi Final and it ends up being Arsenal, City, Sunderland and Us then we would qualify for Europe. I'm sure the rule is that only the runners up qualify for Europe?

Wiki Says '
The FA Cup winners qualify for the following season's UEFA Europa League (formerly named the UEFA Cup; until 1998 they entered the Cup Winners' Cup instead). This European place applies even if the team is relegated or is not in the English top flight. However, if the FA Cup winning team has also qualified for the following season's Champions League, then the losing FA Cup finalist is given the Europa League place instead. FA Cup winners enter the Europa League at the Group Stage. Losing finalists, if they enter the Europa League, must begin earlier, at the play-off or Q3 stage.[11] From the 2015/16 season, UEFA will not allow the runner-ups to qualify for the Europa League through the competition.[12]
The FA Cup winners also qualify for the single-match FA Community Shield against the Premier League Champions.'

On the flip side if we did get to the semi's and qualified for Europe can you imagine the players we would attract to play for us next season?

Last edited:

Not sure how you expect both Arsenal & Everton to get there... ??

The best we can hope for is drawing a winnable game against Brighton, Hull or Sunderland. That would give us a final date against City, Arsenal or Everton and definate European qualification.

Gotta get past Charlton first

The best we can hope for is drawing a winnable game against Brighton, Hull or Sunderland. That would give us a final date against City, Arsenal or Everton and definate European qualification.

My error, I have changed it.

Except Everton won't get in the CL and if they get to the final and win it, they will qualify for the EL that way and if they also qualify for the EL via league place, the next placed team get that place.

In other words only if we meet Man City or Arsenal if the final will we gaurantee a place in the EL.

I asked this last night about Sunderland, Man city and Arsenal with us in the semi's. DP says that the Europa qualifying place reverts back to the next highest team in the prem.

Except Everton won't get in the CL and if they get to the final and win it, they will qualify for the EL that way and if they also qualify for the EL via league place, the next placed team get that place.

In other words only if we meet Man City or Arsenal if the final will we gaurantee a place in the EL.

What if Sunderland win League cup?

What if Sunderland win League cup?

The 3 EL places go to the League Cup winners, FA Cup winners and 5th place in the PL. If the League Cup winners finish 5th (or if they qualify for the CL), the 6th place gets in.

If the FA Cup winners qualify via 5th place (or get in the CL) the FA Cup runner up gets in. If the runner up is 5th (or in the CL), 6th place gets in (or 7th if 6th place is already in).

Clear as mud....

The 3 EL places go to the League Cup winners, FA Cup winners and 5th place in the PL. If the League Cup winners finish 5th (or if they qualify for the CL), the 6th place gets in.

If the FA Cup winners qualify via 5th place (or get in the CL) the FA Cup runner up gets in. If the runner up is 5th (or in the CL), 6th place gets in (or 7th if 6th place is already in).

Clear as mud....

So what if Sunderland win League cup?

So what if Sunderland win League cup?

They get one of the EL places and the others go to

1. 5th place
2. FA winners or (if they are in the CL or finish 5th)
a. FA Cup runners up or (if they are in the CL or finish 5th)
b. 6th place

Oh and if an English team wins the CL and doesn't otherwise qualify for the CL, the 4th place gets in the EL and the 5th place is knocked out.

They get one of the EL places and the others go to

1. 5th place
2. FA winners or (if they are in the CL or finish 5th)
a. FA Cup runners up or (if they are in the CL or finish 5th)
b. 6th place

We basically need to get to the final then?

Semi would mean a premiership club would get our place?

If we happen to get to the final, we will have qualified for europe. If Sunderland win the League Cup and Man city and Arsenal are the other semi finalists it wouldn't mean we qualify as the non-qualifier for a European place. A Cup final involving any of those three would mean the 5th placed PL team would take the Europa League place.

If Arsenal beat Man City , or vice versa in the cup final which of the losing semi finalists gets the place as both will be in cl.
Will we need a play off > Say with Hull

If we happen to get to the final, we will have qualified for europe. If Sunderland win the League Cup and Man city and Arsenal are the other semi finalists it wouldn't mean we qualify as the non-qualifier for a European place. A Cup final involving any of those three would mean the 5th placed PL team would take the Europa League place.

No wonder the cup isn't taken seriously by prem teams

No we won't. We could meet any of Wigan, Everton Brighton, Sunderland or Hull in the final. We would have to beat any of them to get in the EL. It's only if we meet Man City or Arsenal in the final that we don't need to win it to qualiy.

No we won't. We could meet any of Wigan, Everton Brighton, Sunderland or Hull in the final. We would have to beat any of them to get in the EL. It's only if we meet Man City or Arsenal in the final that we don't need to win it to qualiy.

Ok,I was going on the more than likely premise that Arsenal or City would get to the final. Of course City might get the short straw and get us in the semi, wrecking the quadruple dream :D

Also a final against League Cup winners Sunderland would also mean we'd qualified!

Ok,I was going on the more than likely premise that Arsenal or City would get to the final. Of course City might get the short straw and get us in the semi, wrecking the quadruple dream :D

Also a final against League Cup winners Sunderland would also mean we'd qualified!

True, but Sunderland have to win the LC first :)

You know what I can see? Arsenal start falling down the league table and finish 5th. They meet us in the cup final and win. Arsenal qualify for the EL by the league route and we are in as cup runners up.

We are in the EL...until Man Utd (who finished 6th) win the CL, thus pushing 4th place Spurs into the EL and thus 5th place Arsenal needing the FA Cup route into the EL.

That would be so SUFC....

You know what I can see? Arsenal start falling down the league table and finish 5th. They meet us in the cup final and win. Arsenal qualify for the EL by the league route and we are in as cup runners up.

We are in the EL...until Man Utd (who finished 6th) win the CL, thus pushing 4th place Spurs into the EL and thus 5th place Arsenal needing the FA Cup route into the EL.

I thought you were on glue talking about us in the FA Cup Final, and then you mentioned Man Utd winning the CL and realised you were burning the rocks, man!

I've got in with a semi a few times when drunk.

Aaaanyway. Pretty sure we wouldn't be guaranteed to be in europe if we played Brighton in the final. Though that's probably being pedantic as that would be about 50 million to 1 to happen. Listen to us, talking about europe. How the hell did that happen???

Win the cup and all this is bollocks

Back
Top Bottom