The Arse

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Especially if we turn off the floodlights and issue our players with night vision goggles
Was it not Arsenal that we played in the first floodlit match or was that the first on radio (wireless) ?

Yeh right pain in the arse for Utd fans that live in London too
No chance unless i leave the game 15 minutes early to get a train back
I'm the opposite. And it's still a pain in the arse. Total jokes

Yet another home game it's very difficult to get to now and which I'll probably miss.

That's what Sky pay the club £110,000,000 a season for though.

Was it not Arsenal that we played in the first floodlit match or was that the first on radio (wireless) ?

You might be thinking about a floodlit match played at Bramall Lane (which was a first) but it didn't involve United or Arsenal. The world's first football match under floodlights took place in 1878 at Bramall Lane in Sheffield, as the “Blues” played the “Reds” in an exhibition match. Bet the reds won.

Incidentally, according to Wiki, the first international game under floodlights of an England game at Wembley was 30 November 1955 against Spain, England winning 4–1. The first floodlit Football League match took place at Fratton Park, Portsmouth on 22 February 1956 between Portsmouth and Newcastle United.

We did have a 'first' with Arsenal but that was the first football match broadcast on radio (match at Highbury v United in January 1927 which ended 1-1).

That gooners game under the lamps at the lane in 06/07 season . Bonkers game absolute bedlam on south stand . Christian Nade goal , jags in net and Julio Baptiste ( the beast ) up front for the arse Cesc Fiberglass bitching all night 😍😍😍 this is why I love the blades . Only we can invent this kind of drama ! Love it

It's a real pain in the arse for me as the match has now moved to my 66th birthday. My original plan was to go down to Sheffield for the weekend so I could see the match, have a few beers and a meal out afterwards, with more beers to follow back home on the Monday. Now I'll have to scratch the weekend and miss out on a alcohol fuelled birthday.

So I'll probably be the one trying to get the Sky TV is fucking shit chant started.

That gooners game under the lamps at the lane in 06/07 season . Bonkers game absolute bedlam on south stand . Christian Nade goal , jags in net and Julio Baptiste ( the beast ) up front for the arse Cesc Fiberglass bitching all night 😍😍😍 this is why I love the blades . Only we can invent this kind of drama ! Love it
We played them on a Monday night in 2019 and had a decent result if I remember rightly.

The beast, what a joke he was after all the fuss 🙄🤣

Was it the first commentary game?

Very true. I didn't say it was us Silent. But it was our ground. Arsenal of course have been in the top flight since the end of WW1 on the basis of finishing 6th (amended to 5th in 1975 due to a "miscalculation of goal difference") in the division below in the last season before the war (Barnsley finished higher and were not promoted). Tottenham and Wolves, who both had better cases, also missed out. There has never been any satisfactory explanation of why Arsenal were promoted or how they accrued so many votes. In "The Beautiful Game" Simon Inglis wrote, "never has the football league been so manipulated as it was in 1919". The guy who orchestrated it, Henry Norris, was banned from football for life in 1927 for corruption. Maybe part of the reason Arsenal have inverted comma's around the "Lucky" tag they carry.

Back
Top Bottom