Tactics vs Boro's man marking

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I was talking with a ‘Boro’ season ticket holder this morning, he said that this was the best they had played all season, in particular ‘Bamba’. He fully expects them to revert back to business as usual until we play them again (that’s if NW doesn’t get the sack before then). He was really impressed with our football until we got near their 18 yard box. When in his words “you just fizzled-out, and looked clueless“. I could do no more than agree with him.
He did say that they ‘Boro’ couldn’t get any better than that, and that if we could sort out the final ball to our strikers, we should sail up the league..

I've always felt Warnock's tactics rely heavily on a great team spirit and superior motivation. He's been good at achieving that. Their good results this season have been a draw at Fulham, then wins against Bristol City, Nottingham Forest and us. They've disappointed in a number of games they may have been favourites for. So maybe they struggle when the onus is on them to dominate games and create.

I must have seen it differently as I never thought we looked like coming back at any point. The keeper made one save all night. We had the one Osborn half chance and the late chance from Didzy - but it was all too little, too late. I felt it was an easy 2nd half and we never built up any head of steam against a very ordinary side. If we are serious about competing for the top 6 we have to have better desire and as you say win our individual battles. We lost too many 50-50's and all the loose stuff/headers they won. Thus we never could have any sustained spell of possession or pressure. Our thought our midfield was completely ineffectual on and off the ball tonight and this put pressure on the defence and meant the attacker fed off scraps and I include Gibbs White who was more withdrawn but he has to affect games more. We cannot have 6 or 7 passengers and we did tonight sadly and many of them senior players - Fleck, Norwood, Sharp etc
Why dont you think Ndiaye's shot that hit the post was a real chance? He showed lokely skill and was unlucky with the shot

Nowadays I can watch every game live. And while I love that, making detailed analysis isn't as easy as it was when I was watching games the day after, always sober and in a more calm and objective state of mind. And having two young kids, a house built in the 80s and big garden means time is also a big issue. I appreciate the kind words though and I'll do some tactical stuff when time allows me.
The endless nights of us playing an Interactive Football Manager (2004?) season with each other on the slowest dial up broadband possible only seem like yesterday! (I’m sure that’s where all this fantastic analysis of yours started! 😉)

The family life with the big garden sounds brilliant mate, I’ve got a young one myself now but could do with a bigger garden!

Glad to see you’re doing well pal and keep up these fascinating breakdowns whenever you do get the time to do so as they definitely help me to look more objectively after a defeat! (I’d declared half of the players as soft, pathetic and worthless on Tuesday night!)

Take care mate.
UTB ⚔️

Back
Top Bottom