Tactics vs Boro's man marking

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bergen Blade

Reaction score
With Warnock's emphasis on man marking, games can often turn into a battle. Or 11 individual battles. He clearly had them fired up. The early goal helped them and enabled them to focus more on their defending - pressing us and getting challenges in. Obviously the second goal made the second half extra hard.

We were too static and slow in our approach first half. What's needed against man marking tactics is players who can advance past his marker, draw the pressure of the next opponent (who'd prefer to mark his man) and with good movement exploit the gaps. Before the break the back four + Norwood failed to do this. Fleck tried a couple of times, but failed to beat his man. Our passing at the back didn't give us the openings we wanted.

As we passed it forward we often had to go for a player with his back to goal. Often the marker would be all over our advanced target. Safe/patient passing with little penetration is what Warnock was hoping for. Our players struggled to get away from their markers. Bamba had Sharp in his pocket. Sharp's role has been to stay central and try to get on the end of things. I think he should have been advised to drift wide more tonight. There's a good chance a centre half would have gone with him, opening up space in front of goal. Ndiaye showed his touch a few times, but he was tightly marked and well closed down. MGW struggled to find space and looked frustrated. Osborn went backwards a bit too often.

Second half McGoldrick replaced Norwood. Fleck dropped deeper with Ndiaye and McGoldrick roaming from midfield roles.

We tried to up the tempo, roamed around more, swapping positions and generally moved in a less rigid manner. Sharp was a bit more mobile and the full backs pushed on. GW appeared on the other side and also centrally and Boro struggled to pick everybody up. What we did tactically was exactly what I felt was needed, but their 2-0 lead made it difficult to catch them out. Warnock also switched to a back five, which made it even harder, and they also had some breaks as we pushed people forward.

Ten minutes before the end Davies did what I felt was missing completely first half. He realised he was away from his marker, just ran through in midfield, slipped it through to MGW who sent Sharp clear. It looked so simple and it was frustrating that we couldn't do it earlier.

In general I thought the 2nd half was decent, but we failed to take our chances. Their goalkeeper looked good and Bamba was outstanding.

With Warnock's emphasis on man marking, games can often turn into a battle. Or 11 individual battles. He clearly had them fired up. The early goal helped them and enabled them to focus more on their defending - pressing us and getting challenges in. Obviously the second goal made the second half extra hard.

We were too static and slow in our approach first half. What's needed against man marking tactics is players who can advance past his marker, draw the pressure of the next opponent (who'd prefer to mark his man) and with good movement exploit the gaps. Before the break the back four + Norwood failed to do this. Fleck tried a couple of times, but failed to beat his man. Our passing at the back didn't give us the openings we wanted.

As we passed it forward we often had to go for a player with his back to goal. Often the marker would be all over our advanced target. Safe/patient passing with little penetration is what Warnock was hoping for. Our players struggled to get away from their markers. Bamba had Sharp in his pocket. Sharp's role has been to stay central and try to get on the end of things. I think he should have been advised to drift wide more tonight. There's a good chance a centre half would have gone with him, opening up space in front of goal. Ndiaye showed his touch a few times, but he was tightly marked and well closed down. MGW struggled to find space and looked frustrated. Osborn went backwards a bit too often.

Second half McGoldrick replaced Norwood. Fleck dropped deeper with Ndiaye and McGoldrick roaming from midfield roles.

We tried to up the tempo, roamed around more, swapping positions and generally moved in a less rigid manner. Sharp was a bit more mobile and the full backs pushed on. GW appeared on the other side and also centrally and Boro struggled to pick everybody up. What we did tactically was exactly what I felt was needed, but their 2-0 lead made it difficult to catch them out. Warnock also switched to a back five, which made it even harder, and they also had some breaks as we pushed people forward.

Ten minutes before the end Davies did what I felt was missing completely first half. He realised he was away from his marker, just ran through in midfield, slipped it through to MGW who sent Sharp clear. It looked so simple and it was frustrating that we couldn't do it earlier.

In general I thought the 2nd half was decent, but we failed to take our chances. Their goalkeeper looked good and Bamba was outstanding.

I must have seen it differently as I never thought we looked like coming back at any point. The keeper made one save all night. We had the one Osborn half chance and the late chance from Didzy - but it was all too little, too late. I felt it was an easy 2nd half and we never built up any head of steam against a very ordinary side. If we are serious about competing for the top 6 we have to have better desire and as you say win our individual battles. We lost too many 50-50's and all the loose stuff/headers they won. Thus we never could have any sustained spell of possession or pressure. Our thought our midfield was completely ineffectual on and off the ball tonight and this put pressure on the defence and meant the attacker fed off scraps and I include Gibbs White who was more withdrawn but he has to affect games more. We cannot have 6 or 7 passengers and we did tonight sadly and many of them senior players - Fleck, Norwood, Sharp etc

Never felt more confused by what I was watching than tonight, I thought we played alright and couldn't put my finger on why it wasn't working.

We seemed to break lines quite often in the first half and the game seemed open, but we didn't manage to turn the space and possession into good chances.

We seemed to break lines quite often in the first half and the game seemed open, but we didn't manage to turn the space and possession into good chances.
I agree, we created some good space, particularly down the left, but the attacks fizzled out because there was nobody to aim for in the box (Billy was both crowded out and ineffective). We became one dimensional and made poor choices - Baldock frustrates the hell out of me because he works hard and gets into some great positions but never seems to make the right decision.

Never felt more confused by what I was watching than tonight, I thought we played alright and couldn't put my finger on why it wasn't working.

Our players either lack composure, or technical ability in the final third. Numerous times we just overhit passes which, if they were weighted correctly, should give the oncoming player a shot on goal.
The one that stands out was the big "chance" we had 2nd half.. Osborn overlapping down the left and the player pushes him wide. Huge opportunity missed, but wont 't register in any statistics as we didn't even manage a shot on goal from it. Later on in the game McGoldrick threads one through, perfect line, but it goes way beyond the player.

I felt exactly the same, I wasn’t particularly disappointed with a lot of our play aside from the goals. First half I thought we were the only team playing any football but aside from Ndiaye’s shot against the post we never really created that one good chance. Second half was similar but never really felt like we’d get two goals back, despite playing ok.

Possibly one or two many passengers on the night. Sharp, Norwood and Fleck all had really poor spells throughout. Maybe it’s time to freshen things up on Saturday by bringing Guedioura and Hourihane into the fold and Didz or McB through the middle.

I must have seen it differently as I never thought we looked like coming back at any point. The keeper made one save all night. We had the one Osborn half chance and the late chance from Didzy - but it was all too little, too late. I felt it was an easy 2nd half and we never built up any head of steam against a very ordinary side. If we are serious about competing for the top 6 we have to have better desire and as you say win our individual battles. We lost too many 50-50's and all the loose stuff/headers they won. Thus we never could have any sustained spell of possession or pressure. Our thought our midfield was completely ineffectual on and off the ball tonight and this put pressure on the defence and meant the attacker fed off scraps and I include Gibbs White who was more withdrawn but he has to affect games more. We cannot have 6 or 7 passengers and we did tonight sadly and many of them senior players - Fleck, Norwood, Sharp etc

The highlights showed a few of the situations where we managed to create some space 2nd half.

It was always going to be difficult cutting through them as they had little interest in going forward, apart from set pieces and breaks. In a more stretched game you expect more slip ups, but it suited them to let us have the ball and just focus on winning tackles and blocks and preventing us finding space.

I think the subtitution, formation change and tweaks at half time had a positive effect and we did manage to find players, notably McGoldrick, in a bit more space, as it was unclear who should be assigned to pick him up. Warnock changed formation because of this. When the flair players are well marked, other players are required to take more responsibility. The centre halves can make valuable contributions in such scenarios, as happened when Davies drove forward late on. This didn't happen at all first half.

Norwood was less effective both because he was closed down well, but also because his decent switching of play, which normally sees a player on the far side have some space, was harder because the player on the far side was still being watched by his marker. Man marking teams don't get as compact when they press. Maybe this is what you and Swiss allude to when you thought we "broke the lines" well in the first half? They may have been more stretched, more space between their departments, and we did play passes to our advanced players, but the were always tracked by their marker and very often facing our goal.

Jokanovic said movement and finding space was the issue with "them following us", ie man marking us all the time. He said we were prepared for it, but he probably didn't expect the individual battles becoming such a dominant factor in the game.

Warnock had them well set up and well fired up for that, but it's a tactic that they may struggle to be successful with in the long run.

Sharp's role has been to stay central and try to get on the end of things. I think he should have been advised to drift wide more tonight. There's a good chance a centre half would have gone with him, opening up space in front of goal. Ndiaye showed his touch a few times, but he was tightly marked and well closed down. MGW struggled to find space and looked frustrated. Osborn went backwards a bit too often.

This is interesting. In the first half, I thought Sharp drifted wide left (and sometimes deep) a lot. It was really noticeable at the game although I'm not sure if it would've been picked up on TV?

The problem, in my opinion, was that we didn't manage to get any runners into the space that this movement created so when Osborn or Sharp got into good positions wide, there was no-one to hit in the box.

Another issue was that nothing came off for Gibbs-White at all. His game is heavily based on little flicks and tricks and when they don't work, you're just left with a player who gives possession away a lot. I thought we looked most threatening when Ndiaye was running at people but generally we didn't have enough 'ball-carriers' in the team. Perhaps it would've been a good night for Burke, he's one who (for all his shortcomings) can take the ball 40 or 50 yards up the pitch and force defenders into making decisions.

Overall it was a really frustrating performance but it might have been different if we hadn't fallen behind to a fantastic finish.

I thought Fleck and Norwood didn't give the defence enough support. There was clear gaps between our defence and midfield. This was highlighted with the goal when it was knocked back to fheir player who had space to take his time and rifle it home.

I was thinking should we be more defensive. Certainly when playing away. Two mobile defensive midfielders who can support the back four and pass the ball on to midfield Not sure who that would be. Whether it's Bash, Berge or Guadiola. That would leave four attacking midfielders / strikers to select. I suppose the defensive midfielders are more the style of Gareth Southgate though! But at least we might have got a draw.

Unfortunately for us football is a game where you have to have a plan and players to implement it - both in and out of possession. Last night was an acid test for our credentials: a team that would battle and scrap for everything; a miserable Tuesday night, cold and wet, second game this week etc etc. A team who, - despite their limitations - will win headers, second balls and races and do the basics right. We had to match their work rate and "earn the right to play". In the first ten minutes they won everything and had a few runs down our right where Baldock was constantly getting doubled up on. This resulted in the first goal. We let the kid get his confidence up and settle in the game and were duly punished. For the rest of the match we were outworked and outbattled. In possession we looked useful at times, and there were large spaces which we should've exploited. Despite this, there is a clear blueprint to limit us: overload the central areas and force us to cross from wide areas. Rooney/Derby implemented it and Boro copied it. The feeling is that our danger comes from the ten position and neat, central interchanges and that by forcing us wide you'll expose both the lack of numbers and height in the box. You don't have to worry about runs in behind which makes this even easier to implement. We desperately need a forward to stretch the game or MGW or Osborn to make more runs in between the full back/Wing back and the centre backs. Or even wider to the byeline.
We look like a team of luxury players. I'll give a pass to Stevens (obviously not fit), Sharp (thankless task), Olsen and the two centre backs (thankless task). Being a centre back in a four in our team is impossible: you get no protection and thus have to play most of the game in reactive mode, because you're doing the midfielders work rather than focusing on your own. I think with the current set up and personnel we'll do well at home and struggle a lot on the road. The players will increase their effort levels at home and down tools and cower away from home (where they can get away with it!).

For those that haven't noticed, Ndiaye is still by far our best player out of possession. For a Championship team it's really embarrassing that a young kid sets the standards in this respect. If football became non contact or a walking sport we'd win the title by February.

This is interesting. In the first half, I thought Sharp drifted wide left (and sometimes deep) a lot. It was really noticeable at the game although I'm not sure if it would've been picked up on TV?

The problem, in my opinion, was that we didn't manage to get any runners into the space that this movement created so when Osborn or Sharp got into good positions wide, there was no-one to hit in the box.

Another issue was that nothing came off for Gibbs-White at all. His game is heavily based on little flicks and tricks and when they don't work, you're just left with a player who gives possession away a lot. I thought we looked most threatening when Ndiaye was running at people but generally we didn't have enough 'ball-carriers' in the team. Perhaps it would've been a good night for Burke, he's one who (for all his shortcomings) can take the ball 40 or 50 yards up the pitch and force defenders into making decisions.

Overall it was a really frustrating performance but it might have been different if we hadn't fallen behind to a fantastic finish.
Agree - we got down the left with Osborn, Sharp and Enda so many times with no one for them to pass to.

We’ve got it down to an art form… looking threatening without actually being threatening

I watched the first half again and I agree Sharp drifted wide more than I noticed the first time. This was one example, and we'd managed to move their defenders about. Both Osborn and MGW had moved in centrally and brought their full backs with them, and Sharp suddenly had a lot of space on the left. It turned out to be their left back Bola who came across to press Sharp. Sharp seemed to be looking for a pass at first, and unfortunately his shot was weak.

1632943953348.png
What's the xG for this compared to Middlesbrough's first?

100% correct
We fell right into Warnocks man to man game plan with little or no energy in the middle and with Stevens return we were easy to read.
With nothing coming from the right causing problems ( Boldocks needs resting) and nothing coming from MGW no problem for Boro

Last edited:
I watched the first half again and I agree Sharp drifted wide more than I noticed the first time. This was one example, and we'd managed to move their defenders about. Both Osborn and MGW had moved in centrally and brought their full backs with them, and Sharp suddenly had a lot of space on the left. It turned out to be their left back Bola who came across to press Sharp. Sharp seemed to be looking for a pass at first, and unfortunately his shot was weak.

View attachment 121969
Some very interesting post match posts breaking the game down.
We have a soft belly ! No protection for the back 4 whatsoever,until we sort this out we will continue to concede goals which means we have to score 2 at least to win a game.
S J says we have the best squad he has managed in the championship,which I find surprising both Fulham and Watford had squads with pace and scored loads of goals, Although we scored a hat full against posh! No way will we be prolific .
We just don't have the nous to take teams apart.
The two young lads are exciting players and have great futures we are expecting too much from them to do the business match after match.
We need more players with Boldocks (angry george) attitude,unfortunately Boldock lacks the final pass a big weakness in his game .

If the players seem confused, think how bad it feels for the manger?

A lack of choices from the bench to introduce a harder midfield edge was lacking though.

(Guedioura?)​

View attachment 121969
Infogol has that one at 0.06 (assuming I'm correct that it's the 22nd minute) compared to Watmore's 0.03 and McNair's 0.05. Boro's overall was 0.41 vs our 0.74.

1632992354226.png

View attachment 121969
I think that this picture says it all...every time we managed to get through them or around them into dangerous positions, they had at least 6 or 7 back in the box and inevitably there was no real opportunity to find our own man.

Infogol has that one at 0.06 (assuming I'm correct that it's the 22nd minute) compared to Watmore's 0.03 and McNair's 0.05. Boro's overall was 0.41 vs our 0.74.

View attachment 121990
Worth also pointing out that the best chance in the entire game, according to Infogol, was Andraž Šporar's in the second half (0.10). It was not a game of clear chances.

1632995649624.png

View attachment 121969

Sharp was drifting wide left a lot in the first half (right in front of us) because this is where the space was. Osborn was infuriatingly getting drawn inside into traffic again and again. To stop United all teams have to do is pack the central area in front of the back line. So many times you see MGW, Ndiaye, Osborn, Baldock etc trying to play through the eye of a needle rather than going wide to open up the central spaces or electing to cross from the byeline (which they were basically giving us). We don't have a forward running the channel or making medial runs so this is even easier to stop. All the opposition needs is two disciplined head it and kick it centre backs and a disciplined midfielder or two. They aren't worried about being turned, everything is in front of them. Bamba is the archetypal player that you can only expose by getting right to the byline and cutting it back; or playing medial balls on the floor to a player on the half turn, (or balls down the sides or in the channels for a striker to run on too). Any cross from deep or central interchange in front of them is exactly what they would prefer to defend. We saw this with Davies and Jags, yet persisted with this failing strategy in the next game.

Great analysis Bergs. It's clear from your tactical posts that you understand the game extremely well. Did you play/manage at a decent level?

You should do a report after each game. Good to see some explanation where it's gone right or wrong rather than just bashing the players, the manager, or the system... i get enough of that in my WhatsApp groups

You should do a report after each game. Good to see some explanation where it's gone right or wrong rather than just bashing the players, the manager, or the system... i get enough of that in my WhatsApp groups
+1 for this. I know it's a significant investment of your time Bergen Blade but you used to do a Goalwatch thread which I found interesting. I have had a go in the past but I'm an amateur by comparison :)

It was a game we shouldn't have lost.

We need to learn from it as it will happen again - every club has analysts and they all learn as the go along about who is coming up.

We're good when teams let us play football, but not when they close us down and deny us space.

We need to learn these lessons and as it has been said a million times - move it quicker when you have this type of problem. We have the players to do it, but it must go quicker. A few players HAVE to take a hit from behind at times but refs are generally much better and quicker in stamping this out and dishing yellow cards.

Come on Slav - plenty of time, get it sorted.

UTB

It was a game we shouldn't have lost.

We need to learn from it as it will happen again - every club has analysts and they all learn as the go along about who is coming up.

We're good when teams let us play football, but not when they close us down and deny us space.

We need to learn these lessons and as it has been said a million times - move it quicker when you have this type of problem. We have the players to do it, but it must go quicker. A few players HAVE to take a hit from behind at times but refs are generally much better and quicker in stamping this out and dishing yellow cards.

Come on Slav - plenty of time, get it sorted.

UTB
I disagree, we learned from west brom that teams with big tall players will just bully and dominate us and we don't have the personnel to battle with them so tbf im expecting us to lose against the likes of cardiff, millwall and possibly barnsley (hope not)

I was talking with a ‘Boro’ season ticket holder this morning, he said that this was the best they had played all season, in particular ‘Bamba’. He fully expects them to revert back to business as usual until we play them again (that’s if NW doesn’t get the sack before then). He was really impressed with our football until we got near their 18 yard box. When in his words “you just fizzled-out, and looked clueless“. I could do no more than agree with him.
He did say that they ‘Boro’ couldn’t get any better than that, and that if we could sort out the final ball to our strikers, we should sail up the league..

I disagree, we learned from west brom that teams with big tall players will just bully and dominate us and we don't have the personnel to battle with them so tbf im expecting us to lose against the likes of cardiff, millwall and possibly barnsley (hope not)

No team should expect to lose or go into a game without a plan to beat the opposition, it's up to the manager to find a way. Move the ball quicker and draw fouls if you need to which then puts players under pressure not to do it again. We have the players with only one playing up top and when we push both full backs on we have in effect 7 players in and around midfield. it shouldn't be difficult, it just takes practice and a bit of bottle to take a few hits. We made this work after Slav had brought in the players against poor opposition - it just needs working at in training. Fulham fans have told us about Slav - he's relentless until it comes right - lets hope they are correct.

UTB

Great analysis Bergs. It's clear from your tactical posts that you understand the game extremely well. Did you play/manage at a decent level?

No, I was an average talent. I became a Blade when I joined a play by mail manager game in 1991 and was by random assigned to manage Sheffield United. I've always been very interested in tactics and that just added to it. Teenage years apart, I've never had the ambition to work in football, although I did help United out with some scouting a few years ago.

The analysis bits that I used to do started on BU at a time when there were few live games. So, unable to comment too much on the games post match, I had a closer look at what I could watch, i.e. the highlights, and especially the goals we conceded. I used to be a centre half and thought there were occasions where players were singled out for blame, sometimes just for being closest to the goal scorer, when there were flaws in our defensive organisation.

I continued that a bit later when matches were made available online the day after. Watching games when you know the scores, already listened to them on Radio Sheffield, read about them, etc isn't quite the same, but it's actually easier to make analyses that way. The live excitement is gone, you're more prepared, there's been talking points that you'd like to study and you can stop, rewind and re-watch certain stuff. A United scout once told me he always watched a match twice when he did reports. That's really the ideal way of analysing players and performances, you do pick up more stuff the second time.

The Scandinavian Blades used to have a website where I had to produce some material every week. That was a struggle. I put the analysis bits up there, but hardly anyone read it, while it generated some decent debate on here.

Nowadays I can watch every game live. And while I love that, making detailed analysis isn't as easy as it was when I was watching games the day after, always sober and in a more calm and objective state of mind. And having two young kids, a house built in the 80s and big garden means time is also a big issue. I appreciate the kind words though and I'll do some tactical stuff when time allows me.

Back
Top Bottom