Tactically outdone

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Hardly surprising we are 20th with shots from outside the box we insist on trying to walk the ball in the net at every occasion it is incredibly frustrating.
And in so doing we keep posession for longer and create better, if slightly fewer chances. Last time I checked a 30 yard howitzer is worth exactly the same as a 5 yard tap in.

Most efforts from outside the box result in no more or less than lost posession. It's one of the reasons we have done so well this season.

Hardly surprising we are 20th with shots from outside the box we insist on trying to walk the ball in the net at every occasion it is incredibly frustrating.

It’s been central to our way of playing the last four years. Sorry if that’s frustrating to you – I love how we play, and these last few years patiently working decent openings have been a joy to watch from my point of view.

We rarely find ourselves in shooting positions outside the box as we attack down the flanks.
If we played with 2 central midfield players and allowed one to move up the pitch whilst another one sat, then I could see the potential.
As it is, it's very rare you see Fleck, or Lundstram with the type of time and space to take fire at goal.
I don't mind us not having a lot of long range efforts, but I do think we need to be able to attack through the middle and vary our offensive play a lot more. At the moment we're too predictable.

It’s been central to our way of playing the last four years. Sorry if that’s frustrating to you – I love how we play, and these last few years patiently working decent openings have been a joy to watch from my point of view.

No excuse for not taking a shot when that is the best option available the amount of games when we have only had 1 or 2 shots is criminal.

We have even had a game where we had no shots at all there is no excuse for that at all.

They need to learn to mix it up a bit more rather than trying to walk the ball into the net.

And in so doing we keep posession for longer and create better, if slightly fewer chances. Last time I checked a 30 yard howitzer is worth exactly the same as a 5 yard tap in.

Most efforts from outside the box result in no more or less than lost posession. It's one of the reasons we have done so well this season.

I agree and disagree.

I just think there are moments towards the end of a match where you are chasing the game that the kitchen sink, shoot on sight might be more effective in some games. Especially if we come up against a team that have stopped us attacking down the flanks and we are struggling to create our overloads.

'When the opposition is back in numbers and we can't get an overload or a decent cross in, we either are forced to play it backwards and lose momentum (if not the ball) or put a poor cross in our strikers have no chance of scoring from which risks the counter attack.'

:(

'When the opposition is back in numbers and we can't get an overload or a decent cross in, we either are forced to play it backwards and lose momentum (if not the ball) or put a poor cross in our strikers have no chance of scoring from which risks the counter attack.'

:(

This happened again throughout yesterday, apart from two half chances one of those being in the last minute.

It's boring repeating ourselves but it'll happen until/unless things change.

And again.

4-3-3 just destroys us

Mourinho first half completely ruined us tactically. Bogle, Stevens & Basham couldn’t join the attack, not much space for Burke to run into. It was quite depressing to watch how inept we looked

There's no shame in being tactically outdone by Mourinho, except when it was so obvious that this was going to happen.

We've been found out.

There's no shame in being tactically outdone by Mourinho, except when it was so obvious that this was going to happen.

We've been found out.
It’s not the first time unfortunately. When you play exactly the same over two seasons it becomes easy to work out for any opposing manager.

We've been found out.
Its no shame being tactically outdone by Mourinho who is managing c £1Bn worth of Football talent (maybe a little bit OTT) but he has loads of world class players in Lloris, Son, Bale and Kane. Hojberg and Aurier are also superb.
Swap the managers round and Spurs still win.

And I know Wilder will talk about the system. If you have better players than Bogle and Norwood playing for us in 2 positions today that game would have been 1 all

Its no shame being tactically outdone by Mourinho who is managing c £1Bn worth of Football talent (maybe a little bit OTT) but he has loads of world class players in Lloris, Son, Bale and Kane. Hojberg and Aurier are also superb.

Agreed. Dele Alli and Harry Winks (47 England caps between them) couldn’t get on their bench. We couldn’t even fill ours.

He admits in the RS interview "Maybe I am being a bit nieve to all of this" with regards to freshening things up during the match.

What ever system we play it is very difficult to compete with these teams. I looked at this afternoon's starting line ups of Spurs, liverpool and Man u. We had 0 players from outside the British Isles. Spurs had 7. Liverpool 8. Man U 6. Its virtually imossible for us to compete with these world class players.

It's a sad state of affairs when we hook Norwood for being so shite and the only option we have to replace him with is a bloke more famous for shagging Sophie Webster than he is for his footballing ability.

It's a sad state of affairs when we hook Norwood for being so shite and the only option we have to replace him with is a bloke more famous for shagging Sophie Webster than he is for his footballing ability.
Always remember Sophie when she wore the stockings, suspenders and high heels in Coronation Street. Plus she’s got tits like Gunga Dins water bags. I bet Kean’s the first off after training.

Ok tactics may make sense. First half crap + Wilder rocket at half time = turn game around :D

Last night was nothing to do with being outdone tactically, it was yet another game in the EPL where we were completely outplayed by a far superior team, with players who are far more skillful and better equipped for this league than we are.
The current Blades team are an average mid-table Championship team at best!

You can take examples but I don't think yesterday was a casing point.

1st goal, bad pass. 2nd goal poor marking. 3rd goal lack of closing down.

I don't see how any of those is down to overall tactics.

We managed to have more possession. We did create openings, mainly for McGoldrick and one Lundstram shot. For all that we'd like to have not seen such an eventual poor result I'm pretty sure Chris didn't say "lads, play the ball really slowly, whatever you do, don't get the ball in the box when you can and most of all turnover possession in key areas and under no circumstances put your headers either side of the keeper!"

We were just incredibly disappointing in our ability to execute the basics of football against a team, had we been on it was there for the taking.

You can take examples but I don't think yesterday was a casing point.

1st goal, bad pass. 2nd goal poor marking. 3rd goal lack of closing down.

I don't see how any of those is down to overall tactics.

We managed to have more possession. We did create openings, mainly for McGoldrick and one Lundstram shot. For all that we'd like to have not seen such an eventual poor result I'm pretty sure Chris didn't say "lads, play the ball really slowly, whatever you do, don't get the ball in the box when you can and most of all turnover possession in key areas and under no circumstances put your headers either side of the keeper!"

We were just incredibly disappointing in our ability to execute the basics of football against a team, had we been on it was there for the taking.
I know what you’re getting at, but... If the slow build up play and 50 passes out wide isn’t something specifically being deployed by management then why;
a) have we seen it in 95% of games in the last 2 years; and why;
b) aren’t those doing it dropped; and why;
c) haven’t we seen more post Leicester comments about players not listening to instructions?

It’s baffling to me the amount of mental gymnastics being undertaken (not saying you’re doing this) to try and shift blame from Wilder this year. He took all the praise when we rocketed through the leagues. This is year is 100% his fault. Flat 3, 5-3-2 or die, unbalanced squad, picking favourites regardless of form, continued Lundstram situation, record breaking poor form, wasting money, not addressing injuries to key players etc etc. I understand the logic of the Prince backing him, but given the nature of professional football, he’s very lucky to still be in a job IMO.

The thing that worries/annoys me most this year is a lack of responsibility taken by management. Take yesterday, Stevens automatically walking back into the team was a clear error, and pretty much cost us the game, and we have to keep playing a midfield with players that are making jaw-dropping errors or don’t want to be here (or both), because they got our recruitment so catastrophically wrong. Where’s the admission of such things?

Back
Top Bottom