Supporting United in the 60s, 70s, 80s

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It wasn't good but it happened. Feels almost surrealistic in retrospect. A laissez faire approach to behaviour which contrasts with the match day experience today. Everybody sitting, control and regulation every step of the way, stewards visible in bright yellow jackets every few yards directing fans and racing at 100 mph to any spontaneous outbursts of joy such as fans running on the pitch (or surrounding area), designated family areas, CCTV, stupid mascots parading round the pitch, music from an innane DJ every time a goal is scored. The whole match day experience is sanitised and soulless. Don't be too sniffy about the past 'cos I suspect you weren't there. Now pass me that bible

Not sanitised or soulless at Upton Parl tonight. Hooliganism is still about, waiting to rear it's ugly head again. Not a pretty sight.

I spent most of the 1960.s either fighting or avoiding projectiles. It was far more violent than the 1970's, contrary to popular belief.
My dad took me to Hillsborough in the 1950.s. Wendy were the glamour team with massive 50,000+ gates, but I wasnt happy there. All their fans had pristine scarfs and they all seemed middle-class. My first game at Bramall Lane was a revelation. It was chucking it down with rain, a 3 sided ground and muddy pitch[United were always better when the pitch was muddy}. And I noticed that the fans were rougher and more Working Class. All their scarfs were stained with beer, sweat, blood and semen. Straightaway I LOVED Sheffield United.
Throughout the 60's I followed United around the Country. I often hitched-hiked . ie: to Crystal Palace I hitched down the M1 at Tinsley when it was first opened. Fortunately, a lorry driver stopped and told me walking on the M1 was illegal! I hitched to Chelsea in a big Cup Tie. We were packed like sardines in a massive crowd. The Chelsea fans seated behind us p...ed on us all the game. After the match a group of their headhunters chased me so I ran into a chip shop and ran through the door at the back, sitting with the family who were having their tea. Later, I eventually hitched to Watford Gap and the incessant rain on me created steam to rise from the urine on my soaking clothes. At 4am I arrived at Derby Railway Station where I slept with dossers in the Waiting Room. At 9.50am Sunday I caught the bus to the Manor. Was I tired! And, of course, we lost! I was 16.
I went to Middlesborough when the game was postponed. We drank all day and I spewed up over a full table of beer. At the railway station after I was hit several times in the face when I was comotose on a bench. It felt like cotton wool. I was 16.
In the 1960's we usually went on the away end. there was little segregation and the Police/stewards werent proactive like they are now.
We battled on the Kop at Villa,Burnley, Stoke and many other grounds, even on the Shed at Chelsea on the last game of the season. We always at least held our own. I remember Bolton where their fans stormed in at 3.10pm with sticks and planks of wood. I ducked and my mate got his nose broke behind me!
Nobody seems to remember the Derby at Hillsbro when we took thousands of eggs and threw them at the Pigs below, chanting "scrambled eggs". I could write a book, but would probably get arrested.
My hero, at the time, other than Joe Shaw, was "Willy". I can still hear him now starting the chants off and could he fight! He was "the Man". Would love to know what hes doing now, although he will be getting on a bit!

All their scarfs were stained with beer, sweat, blood and semen. Straightaway I LOVED Sheffield United.

I wondered where my old scarf got to! :D

Seriously, for the odd poster who thinks we may be glorifying violence in days gone by, we aren't. Any more than your grandad reminisces about the war, it's just the changing social scene and, looking back, I'm amazed there weren't a few deaths at footie matches back then.

Where a kop was shared down the middle - Burnley, Blackpool, Middlesbro etc. - the stuff that used to be thrown at opposing fans, darts, pool balls and worse, was amazing.

However, the biggest ruck I've ever seen was at Hillsborough in 1968. They were at home to the lovely Leeds and I'd got a freebie in the Meccano North Stand. The kop (East Bank) was an awesome sight in those days - a bit like the Holte End without a roof.

Anyway, something happened (can't remember what), and a fight started and just grew. Before long I swear every single person on the kop was fighting each other! It was like a surreal scene out of Blazing Saddles.

There you go, that's what it was like. Now where's my glass of milk?

It was Dinky Dawson who climbed the pylon at Huddersfield ,the only ther floodlight episode I remember was at Cambridge.
Cooperman ran on the pitch at York.

Dinky Dawson came off Boundary Road on the Wybourn. There were 3 brothers (and numerous sisters!). However, all 3 brothers carried the nickname 'Dinky', I reckon it was Tony or Alan Dawson who was the subject of all the Blades folklore.
His elder brother David was a sort of fringe fan and turned up here and there at both Blades and Owls games just to be part of the havoc.
I knew David quite well (as well as you could know anyone who spent a large part of his formative years at her majesty's pleasure!).
I once wrote an article in Flashing Blade several years ago confessing to attending the Pigs FA Cup marathon with Arsenal in 78-79 (I'll not divulge the reason behind this on here), we bumped into Dinky at the 3rd replay in neutral Leicester (one of 5 games I believe) and he was just sat lurking in the town centre looking for any action that might occur.
We offered him a lift back to Sheffield after the game in my Brother in law's works van, he accepted. We got chatting to two Leicester fans during the game who lived in Coalville north of leicester so we offered to drop the two guys off too.
So there we were, driving towards Coalville when Dinky leans over to me and whispers, 'stop the van and lets rob these two of all their stuff, I want that b*stards leather jacket' (mugging was Dinky's forte). Needless to say I blanked him and we dropped the two fellahs off safe and sound.

Dinky blanked me the rest of the journey.....

I've heard a story about Cooperman at Darlington in the 4th div promotion season. He was on top of the Blades dug out when we scored 1 of our 3 goals & he started jumping up & down when his foot/leg went through the top of the dug out, he was helped down by the Blades staff & sat in the dug out with the Blades team for rest of the game. Does anybody know if this is true, also I know Cooperman through my dad. I found him to by a decent bloke.

However, the biggest ruck I've ever seen was at Hillsborough in 1968. They were at home to the lovely Leeds and I'd got a freebie in the Meccano North Stand. The kop (East Bank) was an awesome sight in those days - a bit like the Holte End without a roof.

Anyway, something happened (can't remember what), and a fight started and just grew. Before long I swear every single person on the kop was fighting each other! It was like a surreal scene out of Blazing Saddles.

Walthamstow Snr went on Wednesdays Kop in about 1967 with a United scarf tied round his head. He has a scar under his left eye from copping a bottle in the face.

The good old days.

It was Dinky Dawson who climbed the pylon at Huddersfield ,the only ther floodlight episode I remember was at Cambridge.

It was actually Brian Rawlings who climbed up the pylon at Huddersfield - So yer all wrong ;-) :D

It was Mark Bramwell (from Dronfield and about my age) who climbed the pylon at Cambridge during half time in May 1979. on coming down he managed to dodge the police and Blades fans helped him to move to a safe place where the police couldnt see him

Not seen Mark for years

It was Mark Bramwell (from Dronfield and about my age) who climbed the pylon at Cambridge during half time in May 1979. on coming down he managed to dodge the police and Blades fans helped him to move to a safe place where the police couldnt see him

Not seen Mark for years

I'm the guy who climbed up the pylon at Huddersfield and so's my wife :)

I take the point that football is sanitised (I'm talking about the experience and not hooliganism), I'm only 25 and I've noticed a change in things. I think this is what the youngsters are trying to address with this Ultra's thing and to be honest I don't begrudge them it at all. These aren't kids who are out to cause fights, just jump around half cut, wave banners and scarves around and have a laugh.

If football is to cater for families, old timers, for young professionals like me, why shouldn't the young lads who like a beer have a place as well? As long as they don't overstep the mark, they can stand, dance, swear or whatever for all I care.

I was there too, and I'm sure he took a slash from that pylon.

I remember travelling to away games after the Limit with the likes of Cooperman, Herman, Irish, Jasper, little Mitchell and Dodger.

Saw Herm, Irish and the the others last time I was up. Be careful who you name here though........:thumbdown:

I spent most of the 1960.s either fighting or avoiding projectiles. It was far more violent than the 1970's, contrary to popular belief.
My dad took me to Hillsborough in the 1950.s. Wendy were the glamour team with massive 50,000+ gates, but I wasnt happy there. All their fans had pristine scarfs and they all seemed middle-class. My first game at Bramall Lane was a revelation. It was chucking it down with rain, a 3 sided ground and muddy pitch[United were always better when the pitch was muddy}. And I noticed that the fans were rougher and more Working Class. All their scarfs were stained with beer, sweat, blood and semen. Straightaway I LOVED Sheffield United.
Throughout the 60's I followed United around the Country. I often hitched-hiked . ie: to Crystal Palace I hitched down the M1 at Tinsley when it was first opened. Fortunately, a lorry driver stopped and told me walking on the M1 was illegal! I hitched to Chelsea in a big Cup Tie. We were packed like sardines in a massive crowd. The Chelsea fans seated behind us p...ed on us all the game. After the match a group of their headhunters chased me so I ran into a chip shop and ran through the door at the back, sitting with the family who were having their tea. Later, I eventually hitched to Watford Gap and the incessant rain on me created steam to rise from the urine on my soaking clothes. At 4am I arrived at Derby Railway Station where I slept with dossers in the Waiting Room. At 9.50am Sunday I caught the bus to the Manor. Was I tired! And, of course, we lost! I was 16.
I went to Middlesborough when the game was postponed. We drank all day and I spewed up over a full table of beer. At the railway station after I was hit several times in the face when I was comotose on a bench. It felt like cotton wool. I was 16.
In the 1960's we usually went on the away end. there was little segregation and the Police/stewards werent proactive like they are now.
We battled on the Kop at Villa,Burnley, Stoke and many other grounds, even on the Shed at Chelsea on the last game of the season. We always at least held our own. I remember Bolton where their fans stormed in at 3.10pm with sticks and planks of wood. I ducked and my mate got his nose broke behind me!
Nobody seems to remember the Derby at Hillsbro when we took thousands of eggs and threw them at the Pigs below, chanting "scrambled eggs". I could write a book, but would probably get arrested.
My hero, at the time, other than Joe Shaw, was "Willy". I can still hear him now starting the chants off and could he fight! He was "the Man". Would love to know what hes doing now, although he will be getting on a bit!
My old man always mention the legend 'Willy', starting the songs off on the Kop, rolling in just before kick off and always well dressed. Different era but great to read about

My old man always mention the legend 'Willy', starting the songs off on the Kop, rolling in just before kick off and always well dressed. Different era but great to read about
He always wore a red and black striped flat cap and stood half way up the lower tier just to the left of the goal. His gang included a character called Gowler who had a Harry Redknap style nervous tick.

It was indeed Willie Ward.
I know a chess player with the same name (Mad Mick knows him too). When I read that Willie Ward used to lead the singing in the 1960s I kept picturing the chess player leading the singing in the Kop! The Willie Ward I know was too young in the 1960s and it was definitely not him!

Nicking scarves off away fans on Shoreham Street, scrapping all over the country the 70s were mad
some characters named on this thread I can thee

Remember that man City match well. All the blades used to stand directly behind the goal for years. Man City fans started throwing coins and stuff down from the back of the kop so blades fans charged them from the bottom, gave them a hammering and took there place at the back of the kop and stayed there from then on. Can remember blood all over place and City fans getting carried over fence at bottom of kop having got battered. Next day it was all over front page of news of the world. Those were the days you could take walking sticks and banners with wooden poles in, handy weapons. Was a big thing in those days to pinch other fans scarves and have them tied round wrist

Last edited:
Don't remember that, but the 'incident' at Huddersfield involved Cooperman climbing right to the top of the pylon (a good hundred feet). A load of coppers were waiting for him to come down but, after pausing on the 'tray' that held the cables (about 20 feet up) and kicking a load of rainwater that had gathered there over the coppers, he was 'spirited away' by the Blades fans.

Not up there with guns etc. but typical of the general mayhem that was part of supporting United in them days...
Most people following the team dont do idiotic things like that. Fucking cretin could have hurt some innocent person.

Most people following the team dont do idiotic things like that. Fucking cretin could have hurt some innocent person.
I'm also so outraged about all those mods and rockers fighting on Brighton Beach that I might change my Facebook banner. Children could have been hurt.

I remember going on the old S.U.T coaches to the away games and one that sticks in my mind was the Ipswich game when after the match Eskimo, Mouse and few others got talking to a girl who supported Ipswich.She ask are you going to Yarmouth and they all said yes. After about an hour later enjoying herself on the back seat she shot up and shouted you fucking twats you aren’t going to Yarmouth, no love we’re not and dropped her off in middle of no where. Dose anyone else remember this.

Since joining this board, it's become apparent that I'm not the only old fart on here!

So let's have a thread reminiscing (sp?) about those lazy, crazy days when - literally - anything went!

Shred, Eskimo, Cooperman, Ronnie Sharp et al.

I certainly remember there being mass punch-ups on the kop most home game and coppers entered at their peril.

Not trying to glamourise it all, but some of the younger fans may be shocked/amazed at what used to go on, especially at away matches.

So, to kick it off, anyone remember Cooperman climbing up the floodlight pylon at Huddersfield?
Took my girlfriend (now wife) to her first match in the mid 70s, telling her it was safe in the Kop. As the players came out we found 50 or so Spurs supporters in front of us and a massive fight took place around us.
Fast forward 15 years when she came to her second match with one of our daughters only to find themselves in a fight on the the segregated Kop !!
Despite all that we have been STs for over 35 years, but surprise, surprise we now sit in the South Stand !

Got a good going over at several places in the early/mid 70s. Man City, Spurs, Forest, Birmingham and Stoke spring to mind. Don't think we ever left Stoke without a few coach windows busted. Ran like the wind to escape at Leeds, Newcastle, Burnley, and when I saw what was heading my way, Usain Bolt wouldn't have caught me at Everton....

Don't remember that, but the 'incident' at Huddersfield involved Cooperman climbing right to the top of the pylon (a good hundred feet). A load of coppers were waiting for him to come down but, after pausing on the 'tray' that held the cables (about 20 feet up) and kicking a load of rainwater that had gathered there over the coppers, he was 'spirited away' by the Blades fans.

Not up there with guns etc. but typical of the general mayhem that was part of supporting United in them days...
Remember that like yesterday

Back
Top Bottom