Supporters' Club

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Linz

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just gathering reaction out of interest...

Is anyone a member of one of the branches of the supporters' club? And if so, why?

If you aren't a member of the supporters' club, why not?

And what incentives would entice you to join the supporters' club? What do you think they should offer?

Something I've thought about in the past would be to have some form of collective (a supporters group for all intents and purposes) that is focused purely on arranging away tickets and travel en masse and where it's members are housed in a specific section of BDTBL.

If SUFC gave back a quid for every ticket sold via said club it could build up a kitty to buy banners, flags, balloons, subsidise away tickets and travel, a free pint at a specific pub on away days etc.

It wouldn't necessarily be a collective to have a say on club goings on or a mouthpiece for the fans but Intended to group all the 'shoreham boys' together in the interests of atmosphere and increasing attendance, home and away. If people who want a pint and sing song are interspersed around the ground, it leads to a drab atmosphere but with organisation and a few quid, as a collective we could create something a bit different and special. A 'firm' without the violence. A Red and White army!

I'm not a member.

I'm not really sure what function they serve as there's little information about it. Also, I don't see what advantages being a member would give me living so far south.

My dad and I were members of the SUSC Dronfield branch (HQ was Midland pub that became Old Sidings (Len Badger changed the name when he became landlord in 1982) and now it is Dronfield Arms) in the early 1970s (I have a 1972-73 member card somewhere in the house) and the branch ran coaches (Branson coaches-driver was called Colin) for away matches and the last time we travelled in these coaches was in 1974. Not sure when the branch was disbanded (probably in mid 1970s). Not been a member of any supporters club since

I thought supporters clubs had died in the 1960's ???

No it was the 70s :)
I have a few metal badges from different supporters clubs but apart from running coaches they dont really offer anything
I know the Handsworth branch run coaches these days but its like a group of mates running a coach from a pub or Shred taking coaches to a game you dont need to be affilated to the club and if it all goes Pete Tong and theres some bother which occasionally happens (sometimes no fault on Blades behalf) the club gets tarnished with an official supporters club were involved
Just have mates or supporters meeting in a pub a 'Blades night'

Used to be a member when the club shop was on the corner on John St in the 70's and used to travel on away coaches.

Remember having a metal badge SUSC

Yes.

Communication between club & fans. Opportunity to share communication that wouldn't normally have happened. This can, of course, happen in different ways since technology has changed. However, there is no communication greater than a face to face conversation.

Organised travel to away games, insured and often cheaper than official travel.

Discount in club shop (although season ticket does same...)

Priority for certain tickets (away/cup) - usually last before general sale, but it's still a priority.

I used to be in the Woodseats branch before it died a death. At club functions like the POTY awards people used to turn up that nobody ever saw at any meetings, and the same went for any cheap members-only coach travel. People appeared out of the woodwork for a discounted or free trip and contributed bugger all towards the supporters club. When we had fundraising auctions the same bloke turned up, bought all the signed stuff the club or members had donated and then fucked off, never to be seen again until the next auction where he could buy more stuff to sell on Ebay for a profit.

We occasionally had someone from the club come to see us, but mostly it was fairly crap. They offered a 10% discount in the club shop which as Samantha says you got with your season ticket anyway.

When I went to the meeting at Handsworth towards the end of last season it was great to see such numbers and such enthusiasm, both of which were lacking towards the end of the Woodseats branch's time. This forum has offered far more than I ever got out of being a member of the supporter's club, and I can't see a time coming when I would consider joining any other branch.

In terms of interacting with fellow Blades (aside from those I see on match days anyway) and keeping up to date with what's happening at the club, this forum provides - for me - everything a supporters club could. What is more, the fantastic thing about it is that it is available wherever you live in the world.

Thanks Foxy and Linz!

They offered a 10% discount in the club shop which as Samantha says you got with your season ticket anyway.

Really? I made a very rare visit to the club shop before Wembley and when I produced my ST they said it makes no difference guv, now give us the price on the label.

Really? I made a very rare visit to the club shop before Wembley and when I produced my ST they said it makes no difference guv, now give us the price on the label.

Depends on the item. Sale stuff and certain other things have always been exempt from the discount.

Depends on the item. Sale stuff and certain other things have always been exempt from the discount.

Aha, cheers. I bought a 125 year anniversary scarf and asked if my ST made a difference. The bloke said no but we're looking into it….

No it was the 70s :)
I have a few metal badges from different supporters clubs but apart from running coaches they dont really offer anything
I know the Handsworth branch run coaches these days but its like a group of mates running a coach from a pub or Shred taking coaches to a game you dont need to be affilated to the club and if it all goes Pete Tong and theres some bother which occasionally happens (sometimes no fault on Blades behalf) the club gets tarnished with an official supporters club were involved
Just have mates or supporters meeting in a pub a 'Blades night'

Correct,it's better that Blades meet up at a pre-arranged boozer...then at least you can get all the like minded folk together,some of whom may even welcome a bit of barney.:p

When living in Sunny S2 , used to be a member of the Sportsman branch just for cheaper coach travel ,
we then had our own supporters club until mini van got smashed up at Stockport , and hassle at Walsall,
then when got a bit older and introduced to certain supporters of our club used to get coaches from , midland station or sheaf valley baths ,
Like Workington said , this forum and it's members are my supporters club , would love to be at BDTBL every other satdi , but like many on this site , where I live it's hard to do with family and kids , so it's a pleasure to read post on this site ,
DB' s reports ,ITIYB knowledgable posts , even some Blades that I think are talking shite , and don't we all at times ,
Thanks Foxy and Linz it's a pleasure to be a member of this supporters club , and when I come over the first gargles are on me .
UTB .
Darren, Dublin 10 Blade .

Back
Top Bottom