Supporter injured at Bournemouth

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

There was somebody on the floor a bit in front of me who I think got carried away by the medical people/stewards over the boards and onto the side of the pitch. Don't know if it's the same person.

These 'surges' are an irritation of mine. It's more contrived than spontaneous. It is not necessary. It is avoidable.

You didn’t stand on Joh Street west terrace as a lad then. Saying that, worst thing happened to me was losing a shoe.. but it was mental

I hope this is wrong and just a rumour I remember many years ago at Saltergate, we scored fans went bonkers I was knocked to floor and had more people on top of me, it was terrifying luckily I was more shaken than hurt.

Social media is to blame for the over the top celebrations, they like to get it on camera so they can post it on all the sites. The Leeds fan last season with the broken leg being a major one, you can go batshit crazy without injuring some other poor fucker. Some people crave that limelight.

Don't agree, I've had some right injuries over celebrating goals before the social media scurge. You just hear about every thing these days because of social media so it seems like it's worse

Don't agree, I've had some right injuries over celebrating goals before the social media scurge. You just hear about every thing these days because of social media so it seems like it's worse
You could be right TD, it just seems to me that people want to get in the limelight more these days and they’ll go to stupid lengths to achieve it.

Rail seating and safe standing seating are 2 different things.

“Safe standing” is a specially designed seat that is locked away with a key for all league matches.
It’s unlocked and changed to seats in the down position and re-locked again, for UEFA and international matches.
Basically safe standing seats turn that area into a compulsory standing area and as we know this is currently illegal according to UK law.

‘Rail seating” is a bit of a loop hole found in the current legislation.
The seats remain as they are now but they put a rail or bar in front of each seat to stop fans from falling forward when they’re stood.
So rail seating gives fans the option to sit or stand at any point during a match, like we have now,.
Hence why the government seem to have softened their stance and are accepting rails being put in front of the current seats.
Fair enough. Either way, it shows that there are options there that are successful in other countries. Why this isn’t actively getting pushed forward I’m not sure.

Assume this is the lad I got told about yesterday by someone who was with him.

I love a mental goal celebration but the way some go off it's actually more dangerous than when we had terraces.

As for these who have to stand in the gangways constantly or cram on to the back row so people meant to be there are squashed or can't see, irritates the fuck out of me.

Most can enjoy the game, sing, get animated and go a bit mental at a goal without not giving a fuck about their fellow fans.

In my view, it is best not to speculate when most/all of us do not know the details. But as a general rule, grounds need to be safe to hold thousands of people, and all people who attend need to take into account that in a confined space in a large crowd, behaving in certain ways can seriously affect totally innocent people. We all have to be responsible for our own actions.

I'm not speculating. I know one of the blokes mates.

Of course we need to be responsible but that can only go so far. I could stand perfectly still, but be pushed over and then trampled on.

So despite the government telling us that all seater stadiums are safe, some bloke is now laid up in hospital when rail seating would more than likely have prevented any surging from behind.

Hope the guys ok, was he in the gangway ?

Looks like he’s been trampled by the state of the injuries..

You could be right TD, it just seems to me that people want to get in the limelight more these days and they’ll go to stupid lengths to achieve it.

I do kind of agree with that, society has become fame hungry but as with a lot of things these days I think it seems worse than it is because of social media. When I was a kid my dad always said things were much worse than when he was a kid and I always had to explain it wasn't but the news reported more things and sensationalised it more too so it just seemed worse. The social media society is defo fucked though and needs sorting

What happened to the guy who fell through the bus stop? I heard he was in a bad way.

Of course we need to be responsible but that can only go so far. I could stand perfectly still, but be pushed over and then trampled on.

So despite the government telling us that all seater stadiums are safe, some bloke is now laid up in hospital when rail seating would more than likely have prevented any surging from behind.
So would enforcing sitting. It’s the complete lack of pragmatism that pisses me off. Either make every club enforce seating (with the actual police, not some bloke in a hi viz) or accept that people won’t remain seated and deal with it, by allowing rail seating or whatever. Letting this ‘it’s kind of illegal but we won’t do owt about it’ is a shit halfway house that benefits no one.

I do kind of agree with that, society has become fame hungry but as with a lot of things these days I think it seems worse than it is because of social media. When I was a kid my dad always said things were much worse than when he was a kid and I always had to explain it wasn't but the news reported more things and sensationalised it more too so it just seemed worse. The social media society is defo fucked though and needs sorting

It actually was worse when my dad was a kid. People kept dropping bombs near him and shooting at his dad and his mates.

You didn’t stand on Joh Street west terrace as a lad then. Saying that, worst thing happened to me was losing a shoe.. but it was mental

I stood there through most of the 70’s. Flattened once, and after that I stood in front of a metal rail - the surge went by me after that, although occasionally over the top of me as well!

The funny thing is, rail seating has been pushed to the side for years due to them not being ‘safe’. Tracey Crouch was not interested until she was proven wrong last year after she claimed only a minority wanted safe standing. It’s called safe standing for a reason, it prevents stuff like this from ever happening

Whilst I can the see the merit in rail seats, what prevents stuff like this from ever happening is fans not being twats and having some respect for other people.

I wasn't in any way accusing you of speculating, and I largely agree with you. I was just adding that it is a 2-way thing. Grounds should be as safe as possible (but can never be 100%), and crowd behaviour needs to take into account the safety of fellow fans. We don't want to exclude kids, oldies (me included!), etc.,just so people can behave like idiots. And that is a general observation, not about this particular case, about which I know nothing.

Think bus shelter roofs.

#lookatmemaI'montopofthe----doh.

T46oZr6VQcH9-o-w

Fuck safe standing, bring back proper standing. It’s actually the safest way, with fewer obstacles in the way. It’s the cages that were the issue

Fuck safe standing, bring back proper standing. It’s actually the safest way, with fewer obstacles in the way. It’s the cages that were the issue
And why we’re the cages there? To stop idiots running onto the pitch, which they frequently did. We go round in circles with this. (And I’m turning into my dad, next thing is I’ll start saying they should put them all in the army).

Quick update, club just rang me about it but I couldn’t really tell them much more than I have already. If anyone knows more and wants to help the guy/if you know the guy and he needs help then please contact the club on [email protected]. If you know the guy and he doesn’t want/need anything from the club then just leave it I suppose.

So would enforcing sitting. It’s the complete lack of pragmatism that pisses me off. Either make every club enforce seating (with the actual police, not some bloke in a hi viz) or accept that people won’t remain seated and deal with it, by allowing rail seating or whatever. Letting this ‘it’s kind of illegal but we won’t do owt about it’ is a shit halfway house that benefits no one.

Yeah, it actually causes problems by not enforcing it properly, as this bloke has found out to his cost. But who is to blame? Blades fans? The stewards or police? The actual governing body? Like I said, I could be stood stationary but be knocked over and hurt. Rail seating is an answer.

Didn't go on JS terrace often but know what you mean, I went on the kop and that at times was "bat shit" crazy, we would score and you would end up far away from where you started.

Yeah, it actually causes problems by not enforcing it properly, as this bloke has found out to his cost. But who is to blame? Blades fans? The stewards or police? The actual governing body? Like I said, I could be stood stationary but be knocked over and hurt. Rail seating is an answer.
Ultimately, the government is responsible. They outlawed standing. It’s clear that very few people in the game want standing to remain illegal but governments just listen to the loudest voices and are shit scared of passing any legislation that might cause criticism (apart from the things that benefit big businesses). Fifty years ago governments passed unpopular laws like abolishing the death penalty, legalising homosexuality, abortion, because they genuinely thought it would make the country a better place, even if the majority thought otherwise.
Sorry to get a bit general chat, it’s been one of those days.

But then you’d get people smashing their head in or breaking bones on the rails etc. The fewer things in the way the better, bringing back open terraces is the best and the safest way forward.

You could also be sat down quite happily and have some 16 stone bloke land on your head from a couple of rows behind. I'd be behind rail seating.

I go to games with my Dad, and he's 70 and has bad knees, so probably couldn't stand without the option of a seat if needed, but equally isn't that bothered about sitting, the best solution for my money is rails and bus shelter seats, the bench ones that done take up much space. We don't need full depth chairs, just something to loll on for a bit.

Would be safer, it'd make the stairs safer too, as there'd be something to grab on every row at waist height.

Back
Top Bottom