Supporter injured at Bournemouth

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Birdwell Blade

Reaction score
I couldn't get to Bournemouth, but I've been told a Blade got seriously injured in the crush when we scored. Apparently he is in hospital down there in quite a bad way with broken ribs, broken pelvis, broken vertebrae amongst other things.

I've contacted the club to inform them of this and ask if there's anything they could do to support him, but with not being on social media I've not heard anything about a JustGiving page or anything to maybe help him out?

Just wondered if anyone else has heard anything and if there's a way we can help?

Not heard anything about that mate and I'm on social media a bit

I couldn't get to Bournemouth, but I've been told a Blade got seriously injured in the crush when we scored. Apparently he is in hospital down there in quite a bad way with broken ribs, broken pelvis, broken vertebrae amongst other things.

I've contacted the club to inform them of this and ask if there's anything they could do to support him, but with not being on social media I've not heard anything about a JustGiving page or anything to maybe help him out?

Just wondered if anyone else has heard anything and if there's a way we can help?

Was it the guy that decided to crowd surf?

There was somebody on the floor a bit in front of me who I think got carried away by the medical people/stewards over the boards and onto the side of the pitch. Don't know if it's the same person.

These 'surges' are an irritation of mine. It's more contrived than spontaneous. It is not necessary. It is avoidable.

Jesus....surely that just be an older fella for that to happen?
How the hell do you get those injuries celebrating a goal? Was he on the roof??
Worst I’ve had is the old shin from jumping forwards and scraping the shin down the back of the seat in front....that’s bastard pain!

Let’s hope that they’re ok if this is the case

Forgive me, but it seems a strange post. You weren’t there so didn’t see it, know all the injured sustained, but don’t know how it happened, yet you’ve contacted the club to let them know...even though the injured party may not want that...

I just got a text about it this morning and I’m the type of person that likes to help if someone needs it. I’m not asking anyone for money, just wondered if anyone knows anything or if anything is being done. Sorry for asking.

Jesus....surely that just be an older fella for that to happen?
How the hell do you get those injuries celebrating a goal? Was he on the roof??
Worst I’ve had is the old shin from jumping forwards and scraping the shin down the back of the seat in front....that’s bastard pain!

Aye, it was an older guy who sustained the injuries...How do you get those injuries...in all honesty some of the celebrations were a lot more excessive than normal, and if you get broadsided or hit from behind it was easy to find yourself upside down 4 rows in front of where you started.

I just got a text about it this morning and I’m the type of person that likes to help if someone needs it. I’m not asking anyone for money, just wondered if anyone knows anything or if anything is being done. Sorry for asking.
Not an issue that you’re asking what happened, just seems odd that you’d contact the club without the full details

Social media is to blame for the over the top celebrations, they like to get it on camera so they can post it on all the sites. The Leeds fan last season with the broken leg being a major one, you can go batshit crazy without injuring some other poor fucker. Some people crave that limelight.

Just after we scored, the crowd surged forward and I noticed a lot of police activity, which I assumed was because of the crowd surge. I then saw two first aiders trying to get into the crowd (with difficulty) and then a few minutes later, two stewards carried someone along the touchline towards the corner flag. Couldn't see what happened after that. Some of the celebrations do seem to be getting a bit out of hand - crowd surfing is one that should be a no no.

Rail seats would certainly help - along with a little common sense!

The funny thing is, rail seating has been pushed to the side for years due to them not being ‘safe’. Tracey Crouch was not interested until she was proven wrong last year after she claimed only a minority wanted safe standing. It’s called safe standing for a reason, it prevents stuff like this from ever happening

I'm all for "limbs" celebrations, especially away from home but there are always some that just go too far, especially when there are kids about.

Case in point was Norwich away, season before last, (won 2-1) I had got my 2 boys with me, (11 and 14 at the time) Clayton scores the second and some pillock launches himself from 4 rows back and ends up on my 11 year olds head...….as pissed as he was he immediately realized what he had done and spent the next 5 minutes apologizing and making sure my lad was OK...…..maybe he saw my face though and realised I was about to rip his head off....

Villa away last year was just as bad.....we were on row A, right at the front and because of a few idiots going over the top, (literally) after Billy's third we spent the last 30 minutes looking at a line of coppers, barely saw any of the game...….(which in hindsight wasn't a bad thing).

celebrate, get carried away by all means but people can get seriously hurt so think!

The funny thing is, rail seating has been pushed to the side for years due to them not being ‘safe’. Tracey Crouch was not interested until she was proven wrong last year after she claimed only a minority wanted safe standing. It’s called safe standing for a reason, it prevents stuff like this from ever happening

Rail seating and safe standing seating are 2 different things.

“Safe standing” is a specially designed seat that is locked away with a key for all league matches.
It’s unlocked and changed to seats in the down position and re-locked again, for UEFA and international matches.
Basically safe standing seats turn that area into a compulsory standing area and as we know this is currently illegal according to UK law.

‘Rail seating” is a bit of a loop hole found in the current legislation.
The seats remain as they are now but they put a rail or bar in front of each seat to stop fans from falling forward when they’re stood.
So rail seating gives fans the option to sit or stand at any point during a match, like we have now,.
Hence why the government seem to have softened their stance and are accepting rails being put in front of the current seats.

Another issue is that in Germany safe standing seats are quite expensive but take up less room than a normal seat so in general there’s a 1 to 1.8 ratio, so the use of safe standing seats almost doubles stadium capacity. Where as rail seats are much cheaper but only offer a 1 to 1 ratio so can’t increase capacity.

Last edited:
Broken pelvis, broken vertebrae, fractured hip and broken ribs. Stuck in Southampton hospital.

And yes, if there was a rail in front of every seat, this could be avoided. But no, certain people (Ms Aspinall being one) claim it to be unsafe. Now a fella can't work and pay his mortgage for a few months. Good work.

Broken pelvis, broken vertebrae, fractured hip and broken ribs. Stuck in Southampton hospital.

And yes, if there was a rail in front of every seat, this could be avoided. But no, certain people (Ms Aspinall being one) claim it to be unsafe. Now a fella can't work and pay his mortgage for a few months. Good work.
So he believed PPI wasn't for him then?

In my view, it is best not to speculate when most/all of us do not know the details. But as a general rule, grounds need to be safe to hold thousands of people, and all people who attend need to take into account that in a confined space in a large crowd, behaving in certain ways can seriously affect totally innocent people. We all have to be responsible for our own actions.

Back
Top Bottom