2022/2023 Match Thread Sunderland v. Sheffield United - 15th March 2023

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUND
SUND
SUND

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
sunderland.gif
vs.
sufc.gif

Championship Week 37 - Wednesday 15th March 2023 - 20:00 - Stadium of Light

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/sunderland-vs-sheffield-united.641/

Officials:

Referee: Matthew Donohue
Assistant Referee: Richard Wild
Assistant Referee: Paul Hodskinson
Fourth Official: Ben Toner

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

1671401521883.png

📺
Live TV Coverage:

SUTV Live - https://live.sufc.co.uk/

Screenshot 2023-03-13 at 22.03.29.png

We have played away at Sunderland 32 times since the War in all competitions.

We have won 3 of those games: 2-1 in 1986-7 (our first win at Roker Park since 1927-8), 1-0 in 1990-1, and 2-1 in 2017-18. In all 3 of those seasons, Sunderland were relegated.

Sunderland are the only club to have beaten us at home in the league, FA Cup, League Cup and Playoffs.

On the other hand, we did win our last game there thanks to Clayton Donaldson's double.

3-0 to Sunderland... sorry to any travelling fans.

We have played away at Sunderland 32 times since the War in all competitions.

We have won 3 of those games: 2-1 in 1986-7 (our first win at Roker Park since 1927-8), 1-0 in 1990-1, and 2-1 in 2017-18. In all 3 of those seasons, Sunderland were relegated.

Sunderland are the only club to have beaten us at home in the league, FA Cup, League Cup and Playoffs.

On the other hand, we did win our last game there thanks to Clayton Donaldson's double.
Never saw us lose at Sunderland. Two wins (1991 and 2017) and 1 draw (1989). Unfortunately I wont be going tomorrow

Another difficult game, but they all are on our current form!! Would be happy for a draw but can't see anything else but another loss . .......... 1-0 Sunderland

Tough away game. Shame they've just got a win after a poor run. Probably be one goal in this.

And in the desparate need of a return of humble pie servings from Hecky & Co I pray Stoke win tonight and we batter or fluke a win against Sunderland tomorrow.

UTB

Did l read that if mcburnie gets booked it's a 2 match ban,however if he doesn't then he's clear for the rest of the season

Appears that since the Championship became a 24 club competition, 87 points have been adequate to obtain automatic promotion in two out of every three seasons.

Which means we still need 20 of the 30 remaining points!?! Or basically winning 7 of our remaining 10 games.

Thoughts?

1678812068667.png

I think tomorrow needs to be a different approach altogether. We‘ve become very stagnant and need to break the cycle of poor performances since Christmas.

Our wing backs have rarely contributed to our attacking threat in this period. That’s long been the reason for persisting with the five at the back, so I’d switch to four with a focus on defensive ability. I‘ve also been very disappointed with the defensive leadership from Egan, as well as his individual performances, I’d drop him for this one.

Norwood has now had three poor games in a row, most unlike him, we need more energy in midfield to screen the defence and link the play. Berge has strolled through games in the deeper central role in the last few games, we need to deploy him where he can make a difference - move up the role he occupied earlier in the season when at his most effective. They also have pace and like to play on the counter, more pace and aggression needed in the back four.

Jebbo must be on the bench, Sharp can’t be the only attacking option if we need to change and chase the game. I also pray that if we do need to chase the game we don’t make substitutions (like against Luton) that destroy any structure in the team and effectively leave us with a line of bodies up front and no way of getting the ball forward - it’s quite staggering how often this happens.

I’d go……..

Wes
Baldock Ahmedhodzic Clark Robinson
Doyle Coulibaly
Berge Ndiaye
McBurnie

Davies, Bogle, Norwood, McAtee, Jebbo, Sharp, Egan

Thanks. Any advance traffic updates?

I think tomorrow needs to be a different approach altogether. We‘ve become very stagnant and need to break the cycle of poor performances since Christmas.

Our wing backs have rarely contributed to our attacking threat in this period. That’s long been the reason for persisting with the five at the back, so I’d switch to four with a focus on defensive ability. I‘ve also been very disappointed with the defensive leadership from Egan, as well as his individual performances, I’d drop him for this one.

Norwood has now had three poor games in a row, most unlike him, we need more energy in midfield to screen the defence and link the play. Berge has strolled through games in the deeper central role in the last few games, we need to deploy him where he can make a difference - move up the role he occupied earlier in the season when at his most effective. They also have pace and like to play on the counter, more pace and aggression needed in the back four.

Jebbo must be on the bench, Sharp can’t be the only attacking option if we need to change and chase the game. I also pray that if we do need to chase the game we don’t make substitutions (like against Luton) that destroy any structure in the team and effectively leave us with a line of bodies up front and no way of getting the ball forward - it’s quite staggering how often this happens.

I’d go……..

Wes
Baldock Ahmedhodzic Clark Robinson
Doyle Coulibaly
Berge Ndiaye
McBurnie

Davies, Bogle, Norwood, McAtee, Jebbo, Sharp, Egan

If chewing gum was a leadership skill than Egan would be the best captain in the universe.

Sadly I don't think he is captain material.

I would start Baldock and make him captain.

Wes
Baldock Anel Egan Robbo
Berge Norwood Doyle
Ndiaye McAtee
McB

Season defining game? Not quite, but a win will go a long way to shutting the doubters up!
Come on the Blades! It’s cup final time! ⚔️

It's the Ides Of March - do they have any of our former players waiting to stab us in the back?! 🥺

Back
Top Bottom