Sunderland confirmed as 2nd lowest points in Premier League history

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Has anyone got examples of all the praise that Kompany is getting this season? I saw a little bit at the start of the season, but nothing since then.

It's more the fact that Burnley often get away with being simply "naive," whereas we were/are diabolically rancid and offensive to the history of football.

(For what it's worth I do think Burnley are better than us)

Notice how many of the "historic low points totals" have come since the PL TV deals skyrocketed after 2015?

The knock-on effect of boosted commercial revenues that results from wider-reach (Far-East, India, USA) was predictably massively hoovered up by the big teams who can exploit these markets with their brand and marketing budgets. This created huge inequality and an uncompetitive league. Even the gap between 10th place and the bottom three is huge compared to what it used to be.

Of course we'll probably be adding 2023/24 Blades and Burnley to this list

1712581840121.png

1712581859707.png

UTB

Weird isn't it? We've now got more points than 2 teams in the past managed, yet all the pundits/media/online wankers are still obsessed with describing us as "the worst ever." Just goes to show how much online football "punditry" is done by youtube-obsessed, FIFA-wanking kids who in reality know less than fuck all about the game.
I think you're right here and touching on another issue of something/someone having to either be dubbed the worst or best ever/of a particular thing.

Someone is either the GOAT (even though they've had half a good season), or the worst player to ever play in the Premier League, despite having many good years playing there, but going a bit out of form.

Has anyone got examples of all the praise that Kompany is getting this season? I saw a little bit at the start of the season, but nothing since then.
I heard most of the commentary from their match on Saturday and it was relentlessly sympathetic towards Burnley in a tone that you never hear regarding us.

Also, from "Sutton's Predictions" from the BBC website relating to the past weekend's fixtures:
"Fair play to the Clarets, whose run of four games unbeaten has given them a chance of avoiding relegation".
Sutton on us:
"I don't feel it's the case that the Blades are running out of time to save themselves from relegation, because I think that's inevitable. It's really just a matter of when they go down, not if."
They were 4 points ahead of us at the time (now 3) and we had, and still have, a game in hand.

Both sides are obviously going down but this difference in tone is consistent across the media.

We didn’t do ourselves any favours when we allowed Burnley to put 5 past us. Ideally we’ll win the reverse fixture and shut a few people up.

I heard most of the commentary from their match on Saturday and it was relentlessly sympathetic towards Burnley in a tone that you never hear regarding us.

Also, from "Sutton's Predictions" from the BBC website relating to the past weekend's fixtures:
"Fair play to the Clarets, whose run of four games unbeaten has given them a chance of avoiding relegation".
Sutton on us:
"I don't feel it's the case that the Blades are running out of time to save themselves from relegation, because I think that's inevitable. It's really just a matter of when they go down, not if."
They were 4 points ahead of us at the time (now 3) and we had, and still have, a game in hand.

Both sides are obviously going down but this difference in tone is consistent across the media.

Hardly “lauding” though, is it? They have 19% more points than us; I’d say the difference is tone is about right.

Burnley have scored a few more, conceded a few less, have a few more points and beat United 5-0.

Switch that around and everyone in here woukd be laughing at people saying Burnley were just as good/equally as bad

Funny how we're the worst ever though isn't it. We're better than three of them already and still got seven games left.
Aston Villa fans in particular, slagging us off as the worst ever after they felt we shithoused a point, and almost a win at their place. And who's betting on us finishing with a lower points tally than when they were presumably the worst ever Premier League team in history in 2016.
It just shows how morons that report about football and follow football think, if it isn't happening now, right this minute, nobody cares or remembers anything.
People's attention span to detail or facts is a fucking joke

Last edited:
So long as we beat forest beat Burnley and get a revenge result at Newcastle I don't care.

Weird isn't it? We've now got more points than 2 teams in the past managed, yet all the pundits/media/online wankers are still obsessed with describing us as "the worst ever." Just goes to show how much online football "punditry" is done by youtube-obsessed, FIFA-wanking kids who in reality know less than fuck all about the game.
When I was 11 in 1972 I aspired to be a YouTube - obsessed , FIFA - wanking kid 🫤

Unfortunately I only got as far as obsessive wanking

Neither are allowed to pass their balls over to the Popes though, the Pope's have to go get em themselves. It's a new rule apparently.
Improving child abuse worse imo

Burnley have scored a few more, conceded a few less, have a few more points and beat United 5-0.

Switch that around and everyone in here woukd be laughing at people saying Burnley were just as good/equally as bad
The point is that they have bumped along the bottom two all season with nothing like the mockery we have endured.

The point is that they have bumped along the bottom two all season with nothing like the mockery we have endured.
I don't understand the issue. We've lost by 3+ 7 times, including to Burnley and including 2 x 0-5, 0-6 and 0-8. Of course mockery was coming

Just ignore it

We have set one PL record this season already. Most home goals conceded. We've let in 47 with 3 games left. The old record was 46, set by Watford in 2021-22.

The worst ever home goal difference is -31 (Norwich, 2021-22). We might break that.

The total goals conceded record for a 38 game season is 89 by Derby. I will be stunned if we do not break that. Swindon let in 100, but in 42 games. That's a tall order though if anyone can do it it's a team that plays Grbic in goal.

The goals conceded away record is 55 by Wigan. We've let in 35 and with 4 games to go I would be surprised if we surpass that.

We have only kept one clean sheet so far this season and I would be surprised if we keep another. I do not know what the lowest clean sheet record is: could not find it from cursory research.

We have avoided all of the other "worst" records, it seems.

One positive thing we have an outside chance of doing with 7 games left is outscoring the 9th place class of 2019-20. They managed 39 goals and we currently have 30.

Last edited:
We have set one PL record this season already. Most home goals conceded. We've let in 47 with 3 games left. The old record was 46, set by Watford in 2021-22.

The total goals conceded record for a 38 game season is 89 by Derby. I will be stunned if we do not break that. Swindon let in 100, but in 42 games. That's a tall order though if anyone can do it it's a team that plays Grbic in goal.

The goals conceded away record is 55 by Wigan. We've let in 35 and with 4 games to go I would be surprised if we surpass that.

One thing we have an outside chance of doing with 7 games left is outscoring the 9th place class of 2019-20. They managed 39 goals and we currently have 30.

I think it's pretty likely that we break the 100 goals conceded mark from here regardless of who's in goal. I can't find the up-to-date odds but Bet365 had us at 11/10 to concede 101+ when we were on 72 goals conceded from 27 games. We're still on basically the same pace as that after 31 games (2.64 per game vs 2.66), albeit with possible hammerings by Chelsea and Liverpool in the rearview window.

I think it's pretty likely that we break the 100 goals conceded mark from here regardless of who's in goal. I can't find the up-to-date odds but Bet365 had us at 11/10 to concede 101+ when we were on 72 goals conceded from 27 games. We're still on basically the same pace as that after 31 games (2.64 per game vs 2.66), albeit with possible hammerings by Chelsea and Liverpool in the rearview window.

I can see a scenario where we keep the score down in a few of the last 7 games, e.g Forest, Burnley, possibly Everton and even Man U if they have an off day. But one hammering will certainly make it more likely.

So long as we beat forest beat Burnley and get a revenge result at Newcastle I don't care.

If we beat Forest and can contribute to them being relegated instead of Luton, I would feel a slight warmth inside at the end of a thoroughly unenjoyable campaign

I don’t know about humble pie but I’ll shag a warm apple pie just like in the famous movie if we get to 37 points and film it. 😁
Don't microwave it though. Hitting a bit of apple at 200 degrees could put you off your stroke

Back
Top Bottom