SUFC Women

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

You write very well mate but on this occasion the subject matter is of no interest to me. I’ve really tried to like women’s football but I just cannot get interested in it or take it seriously.

I’m quite similar, gave it a try and I find women’s football interesting and infuriating at the same.
I will watch it if I’ve nothing better to do and enjoy it in parts, it keeps flitting back and forth from entertaining to calamitous error.

I think the problem is you see a football pitch so judge it using men’s football as a reference but it’s almost like watching a different sport, probably like comparing men’s 5 a side to the 11 a side game, similiar but very different.
Some things, like skill levels and general entertainment can be up there with the men’s game
I’d say dissent, gamesmanship, fouling and friendly family spectator atmosphere are better in the women’s game.

But the physical aspect means the pitches and goals are simply too big.

Hence very few women can score from outside the box, not enough power, some even struggle to take a corner.
The goalkeeping can be that terrible it’s almost funny, school boy level at best.
The defending can also be poor but that improves the entertainment as goals can come from no where.

It does makes you wonder how much the women’s game would be improved
if the pitch size and goal post width and height were 20% smaller.

I’m quite similar, gave it a try and I find women’s football interesting and infuriating at the same.
I will watch it if I’ve nothing better to do and enjoy it in parts, it keeps flitting back and forth from entertaining to calamitous error.

I think the problem is you see a football pitch so judge it using men’s football as a reference but it’s almost like watching a different sport, probably like comparing men’s 5 a side to the 11 a side game, similiar but very different.
Some things, like skill levels and general entertainment can be up there with the men’s game
I’d say dissent, gamesmanship, fouling and friendly family spectator atmosphere are better in the women’s game.

But the physical aspect means the pitches and goals are simply too big.

Hence very few women can score from outside the box, not enough power, some even struggle to take a corner.
The goalkeeping can be that terrible it’s almost funny, school boy level at best.
The defending can also be poor but that improves the entertainment as goals can come from no where.

It does makes you wonder how much the women’s game would be improved
if the pitch size and goal post width and height were 20% smaller.

And they could knit, iron and play with kittens during the game?

I'm sure they appreciate the support

Just giving my honest opinion.

I have actually admitted that I do and would watch it and in general find it entertaining, so I’m no hater.
But for me it’s like watching the 5 a side past masters competition at the Sheffield Arena, good family entertainment but it’s not football like I’ve become accustomed to.

Just giving my honest opinion.

I have actually admitted that I do and would watch it and in general find it entertaining, so I’m no hater.
But for me it’s like watching the 5 a side past masters competition at the Sheffield Arena, good family entertainment but it’s not football like I’ve become accustomed to.

Very Slightly off topic but Alex Scott seems to be a very decent commentator.

Very Slightly off topic but Alex Scott seems to be a very decent commentator.

Agree she’s an excellent studio guest, easily one of the better ones.
Attractive on the eye but very knowledgable with a lot to offer.
She often seems to offer a different insight/ viewpoint and appears to know more than her male counter parts.

Can put Enni Aluko in the same bracket too, good looking and also very knowledgable/ competent.
They’ve both won me over as studio experts, however still can’t get use to a female in match commentator though.

I don’t know what it is that’s lacking in women’s football, it’s certainly something, I suppose it must be the physicality, I find women’s tennis and Athletics perfectly watchable but something seems missing in women’s football somehow.

I'll be reporting on the FA Women's Championship fixture between SUFC and Charlton on Sunday. Here's my preview of the game, make sure to give it a read!! UTB
https://onceablade.co.uk/ladies/fawc-preview-sheffield-united-vs-charlton-athletic/
In the top banner on that link i am trying to work out which two players on left or the right are the women...:( i'll go kidney punch mi sen....
Serious note
when ladies/girls football started taking off in about 1990 (ex g/f little un wanted to play she was about 6/7 at time) we saw in the star a well known local team advertising trials (not related to either of snorts or the blades), she wasn't bad at playing outfield (twas 7 a side up at thornbridge school pitches just off Birley moor road etc on a st morn), she decided she wanted to be a goalie, turned out to be a very good one as a few of the others were who went on to play for Sheff Ladies, i used to watch her a few years later on playing in goal at coach and horses ground in dronnie.

I like it and, on the whole, rate it highly. However, I do understand where Sheffsteel is coming from. The only area, IMO, where the women's game really is weak, is goalkeeper. The keepers look like something from the 1940's in the way they dive. I expect to see them in a flat cap and smoking a pipe. Oh yes, and in black and white.

In the top banner on that link i am trying to work out which two players on left or the right are the women...:( i'll go kidney punch mi sen....
Serious note
when ladies/girls football started taking off in about 1990 (ex g/f little un wanted to play she was about 6/7 at time) we saw in the star a well known local team advertising trials (not related to either of snorts or the blades), she wasn't bad at playing outfield (twas 7 a side up at thornbridge school pitches just off Birley moor road etc on a st morn), she decided she wanted to be a goalie, turned out to be a very good one as a few of the others were who went on to play for Sheff Ladies, i used to watch her a few years later on playing in goal at coach and horses ground in dronnie.
What's her name?
Sheffield women had a reight goalkeeper 2012 to 15.
Claire Wallhead.
Excellent keeper.

I have absolutely no interest in it whatsoever. Not apologetic about it. Same reason I wont watch Netball. It's just not something i care about - it has no entertainment value for me and I see no quality to it. I have no affinity with it and no tribal association to it. It's not MY Sheffield United. It's not misogynistic. I just don't see any level of quality or entertainment value to that style of football.

You write very well mate but on this occasion the subject matter is of no interest to me. I’ve really tried to like women’s football but I just cannot get interested in it or take it seriously.

I have absolutely no interest in it whatsoever. Not apologetic about it. Same reason I wont watch Netball. It's just not something i care about - it has no entertainment value for me and I see no quality to it. I have no affinity with it and no tribal association to it. It's not MY Sheffield United. It's not misogynistic. I just don't see any level of quality or entertainment value to that style of football.

That’s fair enough but why make the effort to pass comment when it’s easier to ignore the thread? I don’t go on Mumsnet and tell people I’m not interested in having kids, or post on threads about athletics saying I think it’s boring as fuck.

That’s fair enough but why make the effort to pass comment when it’s easier to ignore the thread? I don’t go on Mumsnet and tell people I’m not interested in having kids, or post on threads about athletics saying I think it’s boring as fuck.
Forum = opinions
Thanks for sharing yours, Bushy.

If there was a thread on here about Mumsnet or athletics I'd be happy for you to fill your boots. And respect your right to do so, even if it was contrary to mine. :)

You like the women’s game or you don’t, that’s fine and it is very different to the men’s game but just as entertaining if you accept it for what it is. I’m biased, my 15 year old daughter plays at a good level, comments like girls playing a mens game just make whoever wrote that look like a prick.

What's her name?
Sheffield women had a reight goalkeeper 2012 to 15.
Claire Wallhead.
Excellent keeper.
Like I said this was 1990ish - about 96 before i dropped off the scene, but in the team it was Abbey lane ladies they had some great players and there was three Claires in that team and one of them did use to cover for Becks (ex g/f daughter), they were all I thought great players, perhaps not as skillfull as the lads at the same age but they gave their heart and soul in every game, i never use to shout at them just talk to them and if we lost i told em them to go home think about it, and we would discuss the game at the next training sesh and try to improve in those areas.

Anyone know why SUFC's women's team are moving to Chesterfield?

I know the Olympic Legacy Park is being upgraded with a new stand planned, but the Eagles aren't moving. All I've seen on the official site, FB and Twitter is stuff like "Great news! We are moving to Chesterfield, where the facilities are fantastic!".

But the OLP is branded as SUFC women's home, with the crest outside etc. I'm wondering if it could be anything to do with the ownership dispute.

Anyone know why SUFC's women's team are moving to Chesterfield?

I know the Olympic Legacy Park is being upgraded with a new stand planned, but the Eagles aren't moving. All I've seen on the official site, FB and Twitter is stuff like "Great news! We are moving to Chesterfield, where the facilities are fantastic!".

But the OLP is branded as SUFC women's home, with the crest outside etc. I'm wondering if it could be anything to do with the ownership dispute.

Wasn’t the official reason for the move from OLP to Chesterfield given as “financial reasons”.
Suspect the recent ownership dispute is playing a big part in this.

I will be there Sunday, I have watched them since they moved into the Legacy park, and surprised myself how much I enjoy it, there are some quality players in our set up.
Got to admit to being sceptical at the start, but I was wrong, and look forward to the fan base growing, and the team going from strength to strength.

Spot on! Whenever there's a thread about women's football, you can always guarantee that some bore will go out of their way to say that it doesn't interest them, rather than just ignore it. The gentlemen doth protest too much.

Back
Top Bottom