SUFC Cycling Club

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Would you be interested in an SUFC Cycling Club?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

In Leeds they have roads for cyclists alongside roads for cars.

Asking cyclists to contribute is surely a reasonable thing to ask?

This is a section of the Leeds/Bradford cycle highway

View attachment 110618
Yeah i was up in Leeds last weekend and they're carving up the city to make it safer for all road users with this type of cycle lane. Really good to see and good that you've highlighted it. I didn't use any of these lanes as i parked up at my mates and we rode out east. Lovely day for it and didn't get held up or abused by any motorists for just using the road i'm entitled to use.

As for your point on cyclists contributing. Cyclists in the UK differ to other nations as cyclists tend to also be motorists, so they've probably contributed already.

I'm not and i'm pretty much never likely to be a cyclist commuter, towns and cities in the UK are just too poorly laid out with hazards such as tramlines (in sheffield) making it a nightmare as a cyclist. I'll stick to my car unless things happen to prevent that

As a cyclist, i'd not have an issue paying a nominal insurance fee on an annual basis. Countries like Switzerland and Japan have had these in the past (£5-10 a year) which mean that you're covered with a liability insurance for damaging other property or causing accidents, insured in case of accidents and also your bike S/N is registered so you may see your bike again in case of theft.

Cyclists and the money spent contributes to the economy and probably already pays for schemes like this in Leeds. As long as they keep them free of debris and parked cars these sorts of lanes will be a great addition to Leeds

Yeah i was up in Leeds last weekend and they're carving up the city to make it safer for all road users with this type of cycle lane. Really good to see and good that you've highlighted it. I didn't use any of these lanes as i parked up at my mates and we rode out east. Lovely day for it and didn't get held up or abused by any motorists for just using the road i'm entitled to use.

As for your point on cyclists contributing. Cyclists in the UK differ to other nations as cyclists tend to also be motorists, so they've probably contributed already.

I'm not and i'm pretty much never likely to be a cyclist commuter, towns and cities in the UK are just too poorly laid out with hazards such as tramlines (in sheffield) making it a nightmare as a cyclist. I'll stick to my car unless things happen to prevent that

As a cyclist, i'd not have an issue paying a nominal insurance fee on an annual basis. Countries like Switzerland and Japan have had these in the past (£5-10 a year) which mean that you're covered with a liability insurance for damaging other property or causing accidents, insured in case of accidents and also your bike S/N is registered so you may see your bike again in case of theft.

Cyclists and the money spent contributes to the economy and probably already pays for schemes like this in Leeds. As long as they keep them free of debris and parked cars these sorts of lanes will be a great addition to Leeds

I must admit, when we saw the first signs of disruption to the roads as they started the works we were a little disgruntled to say the least as we thought that the reduction of the pavements and possibly the reduction of the traffic highway would simply cause more hold ups for cars and therefore cause more disruption than they appeared to be worth. Maybe a small charge will help some people feel more responsible when they use the cycle lanes although having said that, I don't recall cyclists being troublesome except when riding more than two abreast.

However, they've done a really good job and the extra lane seems to blend into the scene quite nicely especially as they are putting trees in to replace those lost and sometimes, it seems, between the cycle lanes and the road which I think is a great idea. Safe and green at the same time.

We first saw cycle lanes in Vienna a few years ago and they work really well. Mind you, in Vienna, if the red figure on the pedestrian lights is showing, virtually nobody crosses either road or cycle lane even if there is no traffic coming :)

Thanks for the courteous response and the explanation - much appreciated ;)

Great Idea ..... count me in if we can be based in Girona.

Remember reading a statement from a police force in the UK: Operation 'Close Pass' suspended as considered to dangerous for officers to ride cycles.

I must admit, when we saw the first signs of disruption to the roads as they started the works we were a little disgruntled to say the least as we thought that the reduction of the pavements and possibly the reduction of the traffic highway would simply cause more hold ups for cars and therefore cause more disruption than they appeared to be worth. Maybe a small charge will help some people feel more responsible when they use the cycle lanes although having said that, I don't recall cyclists being troublesome except when riding more than two abreast.

However, they've done a really good job and the extra lane seems to blend into the scene quite nicely especially as they are putting trees in to replace those lost and sometimes, it seems, between the cycle lanes and the road which I think is a great idea. Safe and green at the same time.

We first saw cycle lanes in Vienna a few years ago and they work really well. Mind you, in Vienna, if the red figure on the pedestrian lights is showing, virtually nobody crosses either road or cycle lane even if there is no traffic coming :)

Thanks for the courteous response and the explanation - much appreciated ;)

The abuse i've had as a responsible cyclist that mostly rides alone outside of towns and cities is ridiculous. Its wrong but its one of the reasons i don't tend to ride in groups. Cars, buses and lorries pass extremely close. This agressive motorist culture is not limited to the UK, its the same/ possibly worse in parts of Europe.

Nobody likes change, particularly in this country. Most people would rather complain endlessly about the current situation :D

It may also not be perfect, but i think its a positive to protect cyclists in towns and cities from motorists.

The abuse i've had as a responsible cyclist that mostly rides alone outside of towns and cities is ridiculous. Its wrong but its one of the reasons i don't tend to ride in groups. Cars, buses and lorries pass extremely close. This agressive motorist culture is not limited to the UK, its the same/ possibly worse in parts of Europe.

Nobody likes change, particularly in this country. Most people would rather complain endlessly about the current situation :D

It may also not be perfect, but i think its a positive to protect cyclists in towns and cities from motorists.

I agree.

It also protects motorist from the few idiot cyclists as well.

I guess the only people that need to worry about cyclists now are pedestrians who might walk in the cycle lane. ;)

I'm the same as you Swiss, always ride alone and keep out of towns and cities when possible.
The nearest I get to a regular visit is Sheffield and that's only really coming in on the A57,Crosspool, Hunters Bar and back out on Eccy Road, usually fine, no problems.
Mansfield though ! Jeez, it's like there's some unofficial competition among the locals to try and fetch you off.

Anyone that displays such lack of tolerance to other road users when everyone pays the same to use the roads really needs to have a good look at themself
Why, do cyclists pay road tax now???

Why is it whenever someone on social media mentions cycling you get a bunch of nonces crying about "oooh cyclists this and that"? Piss off, you're not invited to someone's post which was meant as a means of getting people together socially. Create your own thread for fat arses who like to sit in their motors crying like fannies at others who are doing the nhs a favour by staying fit. Now fuck off out of my sight.
So, what's the message?

I can’t believe that it’s 2021 and this nonsense is still doing the rounds.
I can't believe it's 2021 and people still ride on footpaths where people are walking with their children and dogs?
I also can't believe that Some cyclists think it's right to ride 2 abreast on country roads causing motorists issues when trying to pass them.
Don't get me wrong, im all for people riding their bikes around, but do it with thought for others.
I know not all cyclist are the same, but neither are all motorists!

I can't believe it's 2021 and people still ride on footpaths where people are walking with their children and dogs?
I also can't believe that Some cyclists think it's right to ride 2 abreast on country roads causing motorists issues when trying to pass them.
Don't get me wrong, im all for people riding their bikes around, but do it with thought for others.
I know not all cyclist are the same, but neither are all motorists!

So you we were wrong about the tax thing then?

I strongly believe cyclists should have their tax paid by motorists who "nudge" them over a hedge to help traffic flow.
If said "nudging" causes any damage to the nudgees car then the payment should. be null and void though.
Gotta be fair. :)

I answered your question, although I assume from your response that you didn't read the article
No need, I ride my bike on trails, footpaths, around parks, and manage to keep away from roads on the vast majority of any ride I might go on, as I don't want to cycle on roads because of motorists, but on the flip side, as a motorist, and i have to drive the length and breadth of Britain for my work, I come across a lot of cyclists that are clearly just arseholes, not all!!, but some, especially in towns, just seem to take joy in making your drive to work incredibly stressful.

Are you for real?

I'm trying to work out if this is top tier WUM or if you're top tier SEN?
I meant footpaths in the countryside, not the ones next to roads, outside the school, down round the shops!!

I meant footpaths in the countryside, not the ones next to roads, outside the school, down round the shops!!
Just off to smash my head against the kitchen wall for half an hour. Hopefully it'll help me understand you a bit better! 😅

Just off to smash my head against the kitchen wall for half an hour. Hopefully it'll help me understand you a bit better! 😅
Or maybe you could do something about setting up your cycling club?

Or maybe you could do something about setting up your cycling club?
Already in the works, just waiting til I can walk again after mi ACL op in March 🤞🏻

I wasn't trying to be a dick before either mate, nowt personal at all, just get frustrated when the road tax issue is always brought up, when nobody pays it anymore...Churchill abolished it in 1937 😅

There's always going to be issues between cyclists and motorists, its just the way of the road, although I always try to pull in tight to the side and allow cars past.

Hopefully this will get off the ground this summer as I know it'll be great if it does!

Already in the works, just waiting til I can walk again after mi ACL op in March 🤞🏻

I wasn't trying to be a dick before either mate, nowt personal at all, just get frustrated when the road tax issue is always brought up, when nobody pays it anymore...Churchill abolished it in 1937 😅

There's always going to be issues between cyclists and motorists, its just the way of the road, although I always try to pull in tight to the side and allow cars past.

Hopefully this will get off the ground this summer as I know it'll be great if it does!
Well on that note, im off out for an hour on my bike down the trail, hopefully I won't run over anyone's dog!

I can't believe it's 2021 and people still walk their dogs on footpaths, leaving other people to slalom around all the dog turds. And don't get me going about having kids in todays overpopulated world....

Back
Top Bottom