Ball Sup Blog... SUFC Academy U23 v Sheffield Wednesday

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Not doing a full match report with ratings (mainly as I was not watching as closely as I should have been but was trying to read 120+ e mails from work and respond to some during the match so my concentration was not full on the game) but my brief thoughts:

Really good crowd actually and not sure they expected the numbers with many getting in after kick off. They had printed 4,000 tickets and my missus who came in after me as had met friends said they ran out of tickets - she said there were easily another 500+ queuing after this and would estimate it was around 5k in. I know it was free for ST holders as u23 games always are but the fact it was Wednesday and at the Lane helped. A similar game at Chesterfield and they would not get 1,000 I would not think and much much less if it was in the afternoon.

---

United XI: Dewhurst, Starbuck, Gomis, Gordon, Grant, Neal, Maguire, Slater, Brooks, Cappello, Hackford SUBS: Amissah, Cullinan, Peck, Staniland, Ayari

Dewhurst has been on loan at Solihull, Starbuck a new sighing from Grimsby, Neal is still on loan at Kettering and Gomis and Arblaster with Bradford Park Avenue I believe but can all come back and play for the U23's. Of course Lopata and Brunt are on loan with Southend now.

Wednesday XI: Hall, Trialist, Aguas, Agbontohoma, Thompson, Luongo, Zottos, Byers, Adedoyin, Trueman, Al-Jahadhmy SUBS: Bonnington, Glover, Trialist, Davidson, Ashman

Adedoyin has been around the 1st team last season or so hasn't he and Luongo and Byers experienced players - the former playing regularly at Champ level for teams and Byers the same for Swansea for a few years before signing for them. Both apparently were playing as recovering from injury. They have a fair few out on loan too so had a mixture of younger players from u18's and some u23 players but could say with the three they had - they maybe had the more experienced side.

---

Game started in swirling rain but United settled better and started to control midfield. The lads at the back were confident to come out and Hackford looked lively. The opening goal came when a ball from the right came in from Starbuck after good work Maguire and it fell for SLATER who curled an absolutely wonderful controlled volley into the corner. Really hard technique but a fantastic goal. He was playing wide left actually but showed some neat touches throughout. United continued to be the better side, moving it faster and had one or two half chances with Hackford showing good running off the ball and both full backs well forward. Gomis was very good and a constant threat but also the lad at the back Grant came out and is a powerful player who looks a bit ungainly but slalomed through a few times. Brooks also looked composed on the ball. Wednesday had a few corners but little in the way of chances. HT 1-0

The second half saw a rare chance as the ball squired through Dewhurst and missed everyone after a cross from the left but the Blades settled down and with Neal and Maguire doing really well (the two senior Weds lads went off either HT or a bit later but our lads had been better long before they departed) and United moved it forward and started to push Wednesday back again. The 2nd goal on 57 was a superb dribble inside as MAGUIRE beat a man and then kept going before curling a lovely strike past the keeper and right into the corner. After this it was all United. Wednesday started to get frustrated with a few daft fouls but the young Blades stood up well and CAPPELLO got a third as he closed down the keeper who booted it against him and it rebounded into the net. The Blades blooded a few U18 players but won the game easily.

Overall, United were better on the ball, more determined in challenges and looked the better organised/playing some good stuff. 3-0 was about right as not sure Dewhurst made any hard saves (maybe one decent one) all night. We scored two great individual goals too.

Everyone starts talking about players at u23 and if they can come in but it's such a jump to the 1st team at Champ level. However in terms of comparing our u23's to Wednesday's (granted both have a fair few out on loan) we were far stronger and had much more talent top to bottom.

Slater did ok in an unfamiliar wing position and I liked the look of Gomis behind him. The two lads at the back were solid and nice and composed - Gordon and Grant. Hackford started pretty well but then faded and I thought Cappello was not great early with his touches off but kept working and got his reward for closing down. Starbuck looked neat and tidy at right back too but got a booking for a poor foul. Brooks is a good athlete and shows neat touches but is a bit in and out and needs to be more involved for someone clearly with talent.

Dewhurst was ok with little to do but nearly made an error that led to a goal. The two stand outs were probably the midfielders Neal and Maguire - the latter was competitive and showed nice touches but Neal was the best player on the pitch. He is 20 so not one of the younger players but got stuck in, won all the loose stuff and drove forward and used it well. Seen him before for the various age groups and he not someone that stood out but played really well tonight.

Overall, it was an enjoyable night - like Ball_Sup (Phil) I think I do not get too involved in who might make it or who is first team but just enjoy it for what it is - kids and young men playing football and enjoying playing with each other. They had a good team spirit and clearly loved beating the rivals with a few Sheffield lads and Blades in the team too! It was good and it is always good to beat the old enemy at any level.

Not doing a full match report with ratings (mainly as I was not watching as closely as I should have been but was trying to read 120+ e mails from work and respond to some during the match so my concentration was not full on the game) but my brief thoughts:

Really good crowd actually and not sure they expected the numbers with many getting in after kick off. They had printed 4,000 tickets and my missus who came in after me as had met friends said they ran out of tickets - she said there were easily another 500+ queuing after this and would estimate it was around 5k in. I know it was free for ST holders as u23 games always are but the fact it was Wednesday and at the Lane helped. A similar game at Chesterfield and they would not get 1,000 I would not think and much much less if it was in the afternoon.

---

United XI: Dewhurst, Starbuck, Gomis, Gordon, Grant, Neal, Maguire, Slater, Brooks, Cappello, Hackford SUBS: Amissah, Cullinan, Peck, Staniland, Ayari

Dewhurst has been on loan at Solihull, Starbuck a new sighing from Grimsby, Neal is still on loan at Kettering and Gomis and Arblaster with Bradford Park Avenue I believe but can all come back and play for the U23's. Of course Lopata and Brunt are on loan with Southend now.

Wednesday XI: Hall, Trialist, Aguas, Agbontohoma, Thompson, Luongo, Zottos, Byers, Adedoyin, Trueman, Al-Jahadhmy SUBS: Bonnington, Glover, Trialist, Davidson, Ashman

Adedoyin has been around the 1st team last season or so hasn't he and Luongo and Byers experienced players - the former playing regularly at Champ level for teams and Byers the same for Swansea for a few years before signing for them. Both apparently were playing as recovering from injury. They have a fair few out on loan too so had a mixture of younger players from u18's and some u23 players but could say with the three they had - they maybe had the more experienced side.

---

Game started in swirling rain but United settled better and started to control midfield. The lads at the back were confident to come out and Hackford looked lively. The opening goal came when a ball from the right came in from Starbuck after good work Maguire and it fell for SLATER who curled an absolutely wonderful controlled volley into the corner. Really hard technique but a fantastic goal. He was playing wide left actually but showed some neat touches throughout. United continued to be the better side, moving it faster and had one or two half chances with Hackford showing good running off the ball and both full backs well forward. Gomis was very good and a constant threat but also the lad at the back Grant came out and is a powerful player who looks a bit ungainly but slalomed through a few times. Brooks also looked composed on the ball. Wednesday had a few corners but little in the way of chances. HT 1-0

The second half saw a rare chance as the ball squired through Dewhurst and missed everyone after a cross from the left but the Blades settled down and with Neal and Maguire doing really well (the two senior Weds lads went off either HT or a bit later but our lads had been better long before they departed) and United moved it forward and started to push Wednesday back again. The 2nd goal on 57 was a superb dribble inside as MAGUIRE beat a man and then kept going before curling a lovely strike past the keeper and right into the corner. After this it was all United. Wednesday started to get frustrated with a few daft fouls but the young Blades stood up well and CAPPELLO got a third as he closed down the keeper who booted it against him and it rebounded into the net. The Blades blooded a few U18 players but won the game easily.

Overall, United were better on the ball, more determined in challenges and looked the better organised/playing some good stuff. 3-0 was about right as not sure Dewhurst made any hard saves (maybe one decent one) all night. We scored two great individual goals too.

Everyone starts talking about players at u23 and if they can come in but it's such a jump to the 1st team at Champ level. However in terms of comparing our u23's to Wednesday's (granted both have a fair few out on loan) we were far stronger and had much more talent top to bottom.

Slater did ok in an unfamiliar wing position and I liked the look of Gomis behind him. The two lads at the back were solid and nice and composed - Gordon and Grant. Hackford started pretty well but then faded and I thought Cappello was not great early with his touches off but kept working and got his reward for closing down. Starbuck looked neat and tidy at right back too but got a booking for a poor foul. Brooks is a good athlete and shows neat touches but is a bit in and out and needs to be more involved for someone clearly with talent.

Dewhurst was ok with little to do but nearly made an error that led to a goal. The two stand outs were probably the midfielders Neal and Maguire - the latter was competitive and showed nice touches but Neal was the best player on the pitch. He is 20 so not one of the younger players but got stuck in, won all the loose stuff and drove forward and used it well. Seen him before for the various age groups and he not someone that stood out but played really well tonight.

Overall, it was an enjoyable night - like Ball_Sup (Phil) I think I do not get too involved in who might make it or who is first team but just enjoy it for what it is - kids and young men playing football and enjoying playing with each other. They had a good team spirit and clearly loved beating the rivals with a few Sheffield lads and Blades in the team too! It was good and it is always good to beat the old enemy at any level.
We get over 5,000 for an under 23s game of which they can’t print enough tickets off and won’t accept an extra allocation for a league game with ticket prices being very good, a shambles of a club at the moment.

First U23s match last night, and would go again if its at the lane, a couple of the lads look like they’re close to a place on the bench and a run out for 10 minutes if we’re leading by 2 or 3.

But no one anywhere near ready for a first tem start, plenty ready for a loan spell in league one.

First U23s match last night, and would go again if its at the lane, a couple of the lads look like they’re close to a place on the bench and a run out for 10 minutes if we’re leading by 2 or 3.

But no one anywhere near ready for a first tem start, plenty ready for a loan spell in league one.
Fair enough. But you're not going to see many games if you restrict yourself to Bramall Lane. Routinely it's just 5 matches a season. None of those on a Saturday of course. This season three of those have been/will be afternoon games. So, only two under the lights at The Lane. And you've already done one of those....

The date for your diary is Tuesday April 26 2022.

Fair enough. But you're not going to see many games if you restrict yourself to Bramall Lane. Routinely it's just 5 matches a season. None of those on a Saturday of course. This season three of those have been/will be afternoon games. So, only two under the lights at The Lane. And you've already done one of those....

The date for your diary is Tuesday April 26 2022.
Just had a look at the fixtures.

Barnsley, out for me as its in the afternoon so is Peterborough, Millwall looks good and last night’s return fixture at the pigpen.

Chesterfield is on the X17 bus route so that’s a few more maybes.

---

---

Good to see eleven youngsters playing with pride in the shirt for a full 90 minutes. All understanding their role and the system being played. This team have been playing 3-5-2 for the last few years yet had no problem with four at the back. Gomis a CB didn't look out of place at LB. They seem to be more adaptable than the fist team.

Last edited:
90 minutes gone, 1 minute of extra time and 3-0 down, and some pig fan shouts ‘come on Wednesday you can pull this back’

Still haven’t worked out if it was a joke or delusion.

We get over 5,000 for an under 23s game of which they can’t print enough tickets off and won’t accept an extra allocation for a league game with ticket prices being very good, a shambles of a club at the moment.
"This is due to the low demand for tickets after tickets had been on general sale for 2 days"

"This is due to the low demand for tickets after tickets had been on general sale for 2 days"
I wasn’t in a rush due to the extra allocation being made available if we sold the initial one out, I know I’m not alone on this, the people who i go with thought the same and said we’d get them all at the same time when I got back off holiday. The club are a joke and ran shockingly at the moment, there’s no clear indication on ticketing and availability this season. Anyway, we’re all doing something else now, fuck it!

I wasn’t in a rush due to the extra allocation being made available if we sold the initial one out, I know I’m not alone on this, the people who i go with thought the same and said we’d get them all at the same time when I got back off holiday. The club are a joke and ran shockingly at the moment, there’s no clear indication on ticketing and availability this season. Anyway, we’re all doing something else now, fuck it!
Point is everyone who wanted a ticket could have had the opportunity to get one. A club has to make a decision to open a whole top layer of stand that they do not normally open and the costs involved in that but base it on the fact that you and your mates could not be bothered to get one when they were available because they said addtiional allocation may be available. The liability would have been with United to take an allocation of tickets and sell them. It would probably need somewhere in the region of 2000 extra tickets for them to be able to do that. How many mates you got? I am sure if you pertitioned them to reconsider, if enough did it they would. You might also like to remind them of your holidays in future so they can arrange future allocations around them.

Point is everyone who wanted a ticket could have had the opportunity to get one. A club has to make a decision to open a whole top layer of stand that they do not normally open and the costs involved in that but base it on the fact that you and your mates could not be bothered to get one when they were available because they said addtiional allocation may be available. The liability would have been with United to take an allocation of tickets and sell them. It would probably need somewhere in the region of 2000 extra tickets for them to be able to do that. How many mates you got? I am sure if you pertitioned them to reconsider, if enough did it they would. You might also like to remind them of your holidays in future so they can arrange future allocations around them.
Nice sarcastic response, bravo. Let’s get one thing clear, we’ve misjudged the situation and I couldn’t give a rats arse whether they want my money or not, I’d have liked to have gone as would the people I know and they did say we’d get a further allocation if we sold out the initial one, this is why we’ve misjudged it. I can’t remember the last time or ever in fact when we have sold the first allocation out and never took up another batch of tickets when readily available? Anyway thanks for your sarcastic wank post now politely fuck off.

Nice sarcastic response, bravo. Let’s get one thing clear, we’ve misjudged the situation and I couldn’t give a rats arse whether they want my money or not, I’d have liked to have gone as would the people I know and they did say we’d get a further allocation if we sold out the initial one, this is why we’ve misjudged it. I can’t remember the last time or ever in fact when we have sold the first allocation out and never took up another batch of tickets. Anyway thanks for your sarcastic wank post now politely fuck off.
Sorry but you tried to slag off the club you supposedly support. The money would have gone to Blackburn btw not United. United would just be left with the liability of unsold tickets. But you attempt to slag the club off because you couldn't be arsed to buy tickets simply because the club said there may be an extra allocation. But then its the club fault. I am sure you are such a massive Blade that you did not even have to wait for them to go on general sale before you have enough Loyalty Points.

I am the first to criticise the club where necessary, eg I think the £1 per ticket booking charge is totally out of order, but on this one I cannot see a problem. Perhaps, before telling me to fuck off you ought to look in the mirror first and take your own responsibility.

Sorry but you tried to slag off the club you supposedly support. The money would have gone to Blackburn btw not United. United would just be left with the liability of unsold tickets. But you attempt to slag the club off because you couldn't be arsed to buy tickets simply because the club said there may be an extra allocation. But then its the club fault. I am sure you are such a massive Blade that you did not even have to wait for them to go on general sale before you have enough Loyalty Points.

I am the first to criticise the club where necessary, eg I think the £1 per ticket booking charge is totally out of order, but on this one I cannot see a problem. Perhaps, before telling me to fuck off you ought to look in the mirror first and take your own responsibility.
United get none of the funds raised from ticket sales of the game?

Anyway, I’ve explained why we’ve misjudged it, I have points but not everyone I go with has the same so we were waiting for the general sale or the extra allocation and buying them all together, I or the people I know never saw the club put there was only a few tickets left either otherwise i or someone could’ve acted swifter, the club could have said then that there would be no other allocation even though they said there would be, I may have missed that due to being away?

I’m happy to say I’ve misjudged it again, in part due to the communication between the club and the fans. They should have said they weren’t having the extra allocation earlier, and as I said earlier, when have they never took up an allocation after selling the first allocation out?

I was slagging the club off and not you initially but then you decided to put a sarcastic response instead of being blunt about it, that’s why I told you to politely fuck off. I apologise if you took offence to that and of me slagging the communication of the club off.

I even rung them up this morning for any returns but no cigar, the bloke at the ticket office said he had been inundated with calls asking for the same thing and they had given quite a few returns out already.

Good performance. Interesting to see a couple of the lads on loan back. Gomis was impressive at times, but also had the odd weak involvement. Playing on loan should hopefully help him becoming more consistent.

Agree that Neal had a solid game in midfield. In terms of technical ability he doesn't stand out like a few of the others, he looks to take a bit longer to get the ball under control. But he does get it under control, and his distribution was good last night. If he gets the ball to his teammate it doesn't really matter if he doesn't look world class in the process. His strength is bravery and tackling, and opponents don't seem to like getting too close to him. I think the U23 looks better when he plays because he's complementing the other lads who are all smaller and more about skill. Mobility/pace looks to be his limitation.

First time I've seen Peck, who came on as a sub. Thought he caught the eye, looked skillful, had quick feet and was positive.

Not for league games, in the same way that we keep the revenue from away fans at the Lane. My understanding is that cup ticket sales are split between the two clubs.

Not for league games, in the same way that we keep the revenue from away fans at the Lane. My understanding is that cup ticket sales are split between the two clubs.
Ah, I didn’t know that, I thought we got a percentage but a lot smaller percentage than the cup games. Cheers!

Anyway, I’ve explained why we’ve misjudged it, I have points but not everyone I go with has the same so we were waiting for the general sale or the extra allocation and buying them all together, I or the people I know never saw the club put there was only a few tickets left either otherwise i or someone could’ve acted swifter, the club could have said then that there would be no other allocation even though they said there would be, I may have missed that due to being away?

I’m happy to say I’ve misjudged it again, in part due to the communication between the club and the fans. They should have said they weren’t having the extra allocation earlier, and as I said earlier, when have they never took up an allocation after selling the first allocation out?

I was slagging the club off and not you initially but then you decided to put a sarcastic response instead of being blunt about it, that’s why I told you to politely fuck off. I apologise if you took offence to that and of me slagging the communication of the club off.

I even rung them up this morning for any returns but no cigar, the bloke at the ticket office said he had been inundated with calls asking for the same thing and they had given quite a few returns out already.
Appreciate that it isn’t the club communication but the Tickets and Travel section of this forum is a good resource if you’ve not used it before. A good way to see how sales are progressing

Appreciate that it isn’t the club communication but the Tickets and Travel section of this forum is a good resource if you’ve not used it before. A good way to see how sales are progressing
That’s how I find anything out really, there was a very useful post from a member saying to ring the ticket office up for returns but unfortunately it came to no avail due to loads of people trying the same thing. Thanks anyway!

United get 5% commission for the costs of selling the tickets. That is my objection to the £1 booking fee. Appreciate with the price of tickets at this game that is only about 73p, but for most away games they are getting at least £1 - £1.50 per ticket for selling so why do they need the booking fee as well? Indeed, as it is a compulsory fee when bought on line, I believe that under consumer law it should actually be shown as part of the ticket price and not as an added extra.

The two stand outs were probably the midfielders Neal and Maguire - the latter was competitive and showed nice touches but Neal was the best player on the pitch.
Neal was outstanding. Was impressed with Ky Gordon - won his headers and was very quick and aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom