Ball Sup Blog... SUFC Academy U23 v Bristol City

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Correct me if I'm wrong but the 23's have 'lost' Jebbison, Ndiaye, Smith, Broadbent, Seriki, Lopata and Slater this window . Not surprising if they need a while to sort it.
You're wrong. I'm correcting you. Smith & Slater did not play at all for the U23s last season.

But, in the spirit of supporting your point - yeah, that's what is so great about watching Academy Football. Every year, some players simply get too old to play at that level. You lose them & you have to bring a set of young 'uns in at the bottom.

Not been to many reserve games since the days of Stainrod and Sir Keith…. But too good to miss today along with the hype surrounding them … take on my one time viewing , and by the way I would not want to mark any of them, goalie looked very young made great attempt at their fourth goal, new kid from Grimsby , early days without been harsh , little left back , lovely crosser ,and corner taker, one centre half again looked young and raw , the other looked a powerhouse, no 4 Gordon for me stand out player, captain and Brunt didn’t really impress , tall lad with socks down skilful but in and out of play , tall centre forward tried , but seams to be struggling at times , injury? and other forward jinky but could of had a hat trick in last ten minutes , overall a good afternoon spoilt by result , mind Bristols third was a cracking volley

You're wrong. I'm correcting you. Smith & Slater did not play at all for the U23s last season.

But, in the spirit of supporting your point - yeah, that's what is so great about watching Academy Football. Every year, some players simply get too old to play at that level. You lose them & you have to bring a set of young 'uns in at the bottom.

Fair enough, glad to be put straight 👍 But yeah, point still stands. They've lost 5 of, presumably, their most influential players. As you point out, all part of the process and as a very casual observer of the 23's that reality dawned on me today.

Lankshear has an eye for goals, Maguire looked solid,, Brunt was ok too, thought Ayari was a bit light weight and not interested at times, I think there were some positives from the game, you just have to look utb

Correct me if I'm wrong but the 23's have 'lost' Jebbison, Ndiaye, Smith, Broadbent, Seriki, Lopata and Slater this window . Not surprising if they need a while to sort it.
Yes but the same renewal process happens to every other club to a greater or lesser extent. It’s part of the process. The question for every club is how well did we do in comparison with our competitor clubs.

not even to old. Just too good for the u23s. Needed to play mens football

Wasn't last season's line up something like:
Amissah/Dewhurst
Gordon Lopata/Graham Gomis
Seriki Brunt Neil/Broadbent Brooks Boyes
N'Diaye Jebbison/Mousset/Hackford

So:
1. Your keeper is less experienced (though he made decent saves),
2. Both wingbacks are on loan.
3. Your physical presence in the middle of defence and midfield was gone (noticable today).
4. Your strikers have graduated to the next level.

So as much as some are familiar names, 7 of last year's team are not there. It's essentially a new team with probably Brunt, Gordon and Brooks hanging around for potential inclusion in the league cup. Then they'll be offered some regular National League football until January, unless one makes a big leap which is unlikely, as blockers have come along (that Phil often makes reference to) in the shape of Davies, Gibbs-White, Hourihane and Guedioura.

Frankly, you're not going to get the Good Stuff today. Friday kick off. First Team tomorrow. Some people are suggesting the Blog has just been rushed out tonight. Some people are right. Anyways. It's written. It's published. There's a Re-Tooled wing back. And a too deep midfield. And an Old Mild recipe. Read at your peril....

Ayari wasnt with it at all today. Nothing seemed to work for him, the ball bounced off him, and he ended up missing some sitters.

Brunt was a bit disappointing, never really took hold of the game, and didn't impost himself as I'd hoped.

Starbuck switched between looking very good and confident, and looking like a rabbit in the headlights.

Gordon oozes quality, so calm and confident on the ball. Always seems a few steps ahead.

Lankshear didn't seem to do a lot but was in the right place at the right time, definitely a bit of Billy in him.

Bristol City were better than I expected, they seemed organised at the back and always had men behind the ball, and when they counter attacked us they did it at pace and caused a lot of problems.

Overall a 5-5 draw would have been fair.

How is it that the little lad wearing no 3 for our under. 23s today can take a better corner than Norwood or Fleck have managed between them in two seasons?
Angelo Cappello. Has played a lot of Academy football as a tricky winger. He's bulked up a bit. But hasn't grown much taller. It's interesting they're setting him up to see if he can do wing backing. He's certainly got a good deep inswinging dead ball in him.

Not been to many reserve games since the days of Stainrod and Sir Keith…. But too good to miss today along with the hype surrounding them … take on my one time viewing , and by the way I would not want to mark any of them, goalie looked very young made great attempt at their fourth goal, new kid from Grimsby , early days without been harsh , little left back , lovely crosser ,and corner taker, one centre half again looked young and raw , the other looked a powerhouse, no 4 Gordon for me stand out player, captain and Brunt didn’t really impress , tall lad with socks down skilful but in and out of play , tall centre forward tried , but seams to be struggling at times , injury? and other forward jinky but could of had a hat trick in last ten minutes , overall a good afternoon spoilt by result , mind Bristols third was a cracking volley
Callum Hiddleston, the keeper is effectively seventh choice at the club behind Olsen, Foderingham, Verrips, Eastwood, Dewhurst & Amissah. (Incidentally, Amissah was at the game as a spectator, as was Rhian Brewster).

Little left back is Angelo Cappello
Maybe the raw CB was Harvey Cullinan & the powerhouse was Gomis
Other forward jinky would be Ayari.

Starbuck - Looks an athlete. Had a couple of unsuccessful involvements early on, and I think this made him go backwards too much afterwards. Wasn't supported too much, fitting with us putting less emphasis on overlapping from the centre halves.

Gordon - Bit quiet first half. Played centrally 2nd half and did well. I think he's starting to realise he's good at this level, and does more on the ball, i.e. not always the easy option. This saw him advance forward a few times after the break.

Cullinan - Think he gave away the free kick that lead to the first goal and went off at half time. He plays like Egan and has good defensive attributes, quite strong in the tackle and seems to read the game well. He's small for a centre half though.

Gomis - I think he looked to progress well in the games I watched last season. He's big, an athlete, quite fast and not bad on the ball. He and Cappello was on different wave lengths today though, and his passing was mixed. Not at his best.

Cappelo - He's about the size of Geary. Very good left foot, but struggled to get past his opponent, and was outmuscled on a couple occasions.

Brunt - At times he looks excellent. His touch, composure and vision is impressive and I really enjoy watching him on the ball. I think he could offer something as a first team sub, maybe especially when we need goals. If a perfectly weighted through ball is needed, there is nobody better at the club to do it. As a starter I think he may need a loan. Despite doing some great things, he's not consistently dominating the games, and I think this is why he's not given more first team minutes. The management are probably waiting for him to play an even bigger part in U23 games. Defensively he's only average, and when he's played deep his contribution is limited.

Maguire - A good, busy all rounder. Not his best game today.

Brooks - Also struggled a bit, play seemed to be very congested on his side and we didn't see enough of his forward runs on and off the ball.

Lankshire - Tall centre forward who looks like a goal scorer and got two today.

Ayari - Will be disappointed today. Struggled to find space, get past opponents and take his chances.

Subs:

Grant - Powerfully built centre half, think that's the first time I've seen him.

Arblaster - Really like the look of him. A skilful and clever playmaker with great composure. We seem to produce a few of these, small midfielders who are good on the ball. Hopefully Arblaster can become a more complete player than the likes of Dimaio, Reed and Slater.

Marsh - At times he reminded me of a young Brooks. Skinny and lanky, but with a lot of skill and energy. Seems to have the ability to get past players.

Angelo Cappello. Has played a lot of Academy football as a tricky winger. He's bulked up a bit. But hasn't grown much taller. It's interesting they're setting him up to see if he can do wing backing. He's certainly got a good deep inswinging dead ball in him.
I thought he was getting positive reviews last season, I was surprised to see him suddenly moved to left back this season. Is this his first season in the U23's?

I thought he was getting positive reviews last season, I was surprised to see him suddenly moved to left back this season. Is this his first season in the U23's?
11 starts 7 subs last season

Back
Top Bottom