Ball Sup Blog... SUFC Academy U23 v Bristol City

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ball_Sup (Phil)

Reaction score
In case you missed it
The U23s play their third game of the season tomorrow, Friday 10 September, 3pm v Bristol City at Chesterfield. The SUFC Development Twitter account has confirmed that fans will be admitted. Personally, this will be the first U23 game I have been at since 6 March 2020. So, there's a lot of catching up to do. The "switch" from 7pm to 3pm has already bollocksed it for the Carrier Bag Firm. We were planning all day at The Rail Ale Festival at Barrow Hill Roundhouse before waddling down to Chesterfield for the game.
Usual format for the Professional Development League (PDL), which is effectively Division Three of Academy football. Eight teams in the North Group, we'll play each of the other seven Home & Away. Nine teams in the South Group. We'll play each of those just once, Home OR Away. Top Two in each Group qualify for the end of season play offs to decide the National Champion.
Tomorrow is a something's got to give match. As United sit two from two at the top of the North Group. With City three from three at the top of the South.
Joe Starbuck has joined the Academy from Grimsby Town. And, we think he has featured as Trialist in recent games. But, I suppose the first big talking point will be the is he, isn't he surrounding Iliman Ndiaye. If he's picked for tomorrow's game, he probably won't be in the first team squad for Saturday....
Anyway, we'll be finding a beer NOT at the Rail Ale Festival, and posting about the game on this thread. Feel free to add your views here.

In case you missed it
The U23s play their third game of the season tomorrow, Friday 10 September, 3pm v Bristol City at Chesterfield. The SUFC Development Twitter account has confirmed that fans will be admitted. Personally, this will be the first U23 game I have been at since 6 March 2020. So, there's a lot of catching up to do. The "switch" from 7pm to 3pm has already bollocksed it for the Carrier Bag Firm. We were planning all day at The Rail Ale Festival at Barrow Hill Roundhouse before waddling down to Chesterfield for the game.
Usual format for the Professional Development League (PDL), which is effectively Division Three of Academy football. Eight teams in the North Group, we'll play each of the other seven Home & Away. Nine teams in the South Group. We'll play each of those just once, Home OR Away. Top Two in each Group qualify for the end of season play offs to decide the National Champion.
Tomorrow is a something's got to give match. As United sit two from two at the top of the North Group. With City three from three at the top of the South.
Joe Starbuck has joined the Academy from Grimsby Town. And, we think he has featured as Trialist in recent games. But, I suppose the first big talking point will be the is he, isn't he surrounding Iliman Ndiaye. If he's picked for tomorrow's game, he probably won't be in the first team squad for Saturday....
Anyway, we'll be finding a beer NOT at the Rail Ale Festival, and posting about the game on this thread. Feel free to add your views here.
Can teams ever move up and down leagues in the PDL? Or do you just stay where you are regardless if you win the title?

Can teams ever move up and down leagues in the PDL? Or do you just stay where you are regardless if you win the title?
There is no conventional promotion & relegation out of/in to the Professional Development League, the level we are at. (There is promotion & relegation between Premier League 2 Division 1 & Premier League 2 Division 2 - the two leagues above us).

The only way out of PDL is by successfully applying to upgrade from Category 2 to Category 1 Academy. Leeds, Crystal Palace, Burnley & Nottingham Forest have all done that recently and moved into Premier League 2.

There is some churn in the PDL. (Including obvs losing those clubs to the Leagues above). Some clubs move up from Category 3 to Category 2 Academy, Peterborough have done that this year. And, some teams decide to downgrade or indeed abandon games in the traditional Academy structure, Brentford, Huddersfield Town, Bolton Wanderers for example.

The Premier League Cup starts for United a week tomorrow. That's a fixture system where some Category 1 Academies play some in Cat 2. For eg, we play Everton next week. There is a Group Stage, before moving to knock out.

Genuinely feels like things are returning to normal a bit now.

In case you missed it
Isn’t the beer festival open after the match?

Ball_Sup (Phil) returning to watch the U23s; nature is healing.
That's the sentiment. And it gives me a chance to offer a Call To Arms. The Carrier Bag Firm Creed.

Choose Live
Get up, go to a game, have a beer, get at it
(anyone can have a three match trial - no runners)

Because, frankly, posts about the U23s on this forum have become too serious. Particularly with the dawn of YouTube coverage.

"I watched three games on the internet last season, and if he's the one I think he is, he could do a job as a left footed 10 in the hole so long as he's screened by a holding mid"

And the #ForumFact that all Academy sides from U8 onwards play with three at the back and a flat three in midfield, the full backs aren't allowed to come 15 yards off the touchline. (or similar shit)

"Kyron Gordon liked the Instagram post about Iliman's signing, that shows what a great player he is"

Too serious and intense, man. Just enjoy it for what it is - 11 v 11 trying their best.

That's the sentiment. And it gives me a chance to offer a Call To Arms. The Carrier Bag Firm Creed.

Choose Live
Get up, go to a game, have a beer, get at it
(anyone can have a three match trial - no runners)

Because, frankly, posts about the U23s on this forum have become too serious. Particularly with the dawn of YouTube coverage.

"I watched three games on the internet last season, and if he's the one I think he is, he could do a job as a left footed 10 in the hole so long as he's screened by a holding mid"

And the #ForumFact that all Academy sides from U8 onwards play with three at the back and a flat three in midfield, the full backs aren't allowed to come 15 yards off the touchline. (or similar shit)

"Kyron Gordon liked the Instagram post about Iliman's signing, that shows what a great player he is"

Too serious and intense, man. Just enjoy it for what it is - 11 v 11 trying their best.
day out with Beer and a match to watch, perfect. It is what it is just enjoy.

Was lucky enough to get to quite a few of the U23’s and U18’s games behind closed doors last season. The change to 3pm has thrown me off as well as I can no longer make.
Would much prefer a late evening kick off at Chesterfield or Bramall Lane. Interested to see if Iliman makes this squad or has Slav got him in first teams plans for Saturday.
Looking forward to seeing another Lankshear masterclass at Shirecliffe Saturday morning for U18s

Was lucky enough to get to quite a few of the U23’s and U18’s games behind closed doors last season. The change to 3pm has thrown me off as well as I can no longer make.
Would much prefer a late evening kick off at Chesterfield or Bramall Lane. Interested to see if Iliman makes this squad or has Slav got him in first teams plans for Saturday.
Looking forward to seeing another Lankshear masterclass at Shirecliffe Saturday morning for U18s
That U18 match on Saturday now showing up as 1pm....

For the avoidance of Doubt
The U23s, Friday is 3pm
The U18s, Saturday is 1pm

In case you missed it
Europheonix Cl37 working shuttles from BH to Chesterfield and Derby/Sheffield. Worth the 10 minute or so journey if you like that kind of thing

Your U23s v Bristol City at Chesterfield, 3pm today KLAXON

In case you missed it
Joe Starbuck's transfer is mentioned in today's Grimsby Telegraph, according to the article the 19yr old signed a professional contract last year but was made available for transfer at the end of last season. He has made 9 appearances for Grimsby Town but none this season under the new manager

Joe Starbuck's transfer is mentioned in today's Grimsby Telegraph, according to the article the 19yr old signed a professional contract last year but was made available for transfer at the end of last season. He has made 9 appearances for Grimsby Town but none this season under the new manager
Saw some things saying he’d stayed on at Grimsby to finish his A levels so could’ve been a win win situation for both club and player. Player gets to stay local and finish his education and the club get the player for another year and presumably gets a nominal fee when he leaves. Probably indicates he’s a sensible lad with his head screwed on.

How is it that the little lad wearing no 3 for our under. 23s today can take a better corner than Norwood or Fleck have managed between them in two seasons?

Back
Top Bottom