Strikers

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I do accept the loss of the #10 is impacting creativity. It’s bound to.

But ignoring the poor displays of the strikers when they ARE given work to do is equally a problem for us.

McBurnie in particular is horribly slow both in feet and in thought.

UTB
wasn't slow in thought for Swansea or Barnsley, neither was he slow in pace (though he's not the fastest either)

However we're not playing a system that compliments Mcburniies strengths

Got to start Mousset and Sharp against Arsehole, today just proves Mcburnie and Robinson aren't up to it.

However we're not playing a system that compliments Mcburniies strengths
If we are not playing the system to suit McBurnnie then why did we not spend £20m on a forward that does suit our system.

Apart from a very good work rate, which is a given, he has not been great in all fairness.

If we are not playing the system to suit McBurnnie then why did we not spend £20m on a forward that does suit our system.

Apart from a very good work rate, which is a given, he has not been great in all fairness.
Great work rate ?

You’re genuinely seeing something that isn’t there.

A striker in a Wilder system HAS to defend / press from the front.

The only explanation must be, for no apparent reason, McB is exempt !!

Seen it all before tbh. Hanson, Clarke and now McB.

Early days. Maybe he’ll come good !

UTB

Great work rate ?

You’re genuinely seeing something that isn’t there.

A striker in a Wilder system HAS to defend / press from the front.

The only explanation must be, for no apparent reason, McB is exempt !!

Seen it all before tbh. Hanson, Clarke and now McB.

Early days. Maybe he’ll come good !

UTB
If not even his work rate is decent then CW wouldn’t let him near the place.

I also said very good work rate.........certainly not great. There is no part of his game that is great.

If not even his work rate is decent then CW wouldn’t let him near the place.

I also said very good work rate.........certainly not great. There is no part of his game that is great.
My bad.

He will come good. I heard it somewhere 😉.

UTB

Mousset - drops off to hold up the ball, takes it wide into the channels, drives at players with the ball, starts his runs away from a defender so he can run onto balls passed/crossed into space so they have to react and try to catch him. Will shoot instinctively without taking extra touches.

McBurnie - doesn't hold up the ball, when we haven't got the ball walks around and doesn't try to win it back, stands next to his marker then waits for the ball to be struck before starting his run where he can neither stave them off with strength or outrun them. Ultimately he only looks a threat at set peices.

Robinson - puts a shirt on and smiles a lot.

Sorry if that seems harsh, but that's my honest assessment of our new strikers. It's a mystery why two are getting picked and the other is sitting on the bench.

Last edited:
From my first view of McBurnie in a Blades shirt I thought he looks an 'average' Championship striker at best and today my comment of him looking like a £20m flop got slated in certain quarters.
My view has not changed!

On the other hand, Robinson looked like an exciting prospect a few weeks ago however now he looks completely lost and almost unsure of what his role is!

The bottom line is that our current starting strike partnership isn't good enough at this level and the second string, Mousset apart, aren't much better.

On the other hand, Robinson looked like an exciting prospect a few weeks ago however now he looks completely lost and almost unsure of what his role is!

His role unfortunately is a winger, but we don't use wingers, so he doesn't really fit into our system.

From my first view of McBurnie in a Blades shirt I thought he looks an 'average' Championship striker at best and today my comment of him looking like a £20m flop got slated in certain quarters.
My view has not changed!

The bottom line is that our current starting strike partnership isn't good enough at this level and the second string, Mousset apart, aren't much better.
You certainly won’t get slated from me regards your view on McBurnnie.

I said before we signed him that £20m was way way over what he was worth and so far I am not changing my view.

Although Sharp has been banned, I would imagine he is a bit pissed off with his limited game time behind McBurnnie.

Mousset has to be close to a start now. Just gives us that extra bit of spark. When talking about McBurnie and Robinson let’s not forget they are both young lads in their early twenties making a step up to was is arguably the toughest league in world football.

That’s not to say they get a free pass because they have to show that they can cut it at the highest level. Mousset and Sharp for me next game with freeman pulling the strings just behind. If that means we have to sacrifice one of the midfield 3 then so be it

To be fair to McBurnie he's probably our best defender from corners

It's concerning we controlled so much of possession but did nothing at all with it. We created nothing against the worst side inn the league. Defensively we are solid most weeks but make stupid errors still. We made 3 today and they missed 3 sitters. On another day we lose 3-0 which sounds ridiculous when we had more of the play.

Worrying trend in bad mistakes at one end and nothing from the strikers or any penetration the other way. Makes all the neat and tidy play in between a bit meaningless.

For all the 35 million spent I still think Sharp and McGoldrick are the most likely to create/get a goal at the moment. Robinson and McBurnie did not have much service but don't hold the ball up, don't link and don't even look like scoring.

Disappointing performance and result with only Henderson, Norwood and Fleck coming out with much credit. Even the centre halves switched off that against a better team would have cost us.

I'm in two minds about Mousset. He deserves a start but I have this nagging feeling that he's a flashy player that's good off the bench but won't put a shift in and will have little impact starting. We'll see, I guess. He needs a chance though.

I’m not convinced about Mousset, I question his attitude/professionalism in the respect of how he allowed himself to get so unfit and overweight at Bournemouth, when he is employed as a professional footballer?

I’m also concerned, that despite the best efforts of the coaching staff, he still does not appear to be fit enough to play 90 minutes and is still clearly overweight?

Of all the new striking options, he is the one that I think might come good. Undoubtedly he has got all the ‘physical’ attributes to be a great player, but I just don’t know if he wants it enough. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m not convinced about Mousset, I question his attitude/professionalism in the respect of how he allowed himself to get so unfit and overweight at Bournemouth, when he is employed as a professional footballer?

I’m also concerned, that despite the best efforts of the coaching staff, he still does not appear to be fit enough to play 90 minutes and is still clearly overweight?

Of all the new striking options, he is the one that I think might come good. Undoubtedly he has got all the ‘physical’ attributes to be a great player, but I just don’t know if he wants it enough. 🤷🏻‍♂️

He certainly likes to showpony. I too doubt his commitment, but I'd be very happy for him to prove me wrong.

It's like having 2 girls up front.

No we don't give them the best chance by setting up defensively every single fucking game but it doesn't excuse everything. They lose every duel with every defender, which handicaps us nicely.

Yet we keep them on until 60 minutes, risking going a goal behind while typically offering minimal threat ourselves. We're playing a stupidly dangerous game by not getting our biggest threats on the pitch earlier - although I do understand they like to pretend Mousset can only do 30 minutes. We were lucky we didn't go behind before he came on today. He should've been on between 50-60 minutes while they were having their best spell - if not at half time.

The correct compromise is clearly to start McGoldrick behind Mousset.

We'd regain that much needed number 10, and it's not like we'd be losing any goal threat. McGoldrick can play as a striker anyway.

With those 2, today's level of possession amounts to more chances, without doubt.

And they'd help us have that level of possession more often - including in the final third.

It's like having 2 girls up front.

No we don't give them the best chance by setting up defensively every single fucking game but it doesn't excuse everything. They lose every duel with every defender, which handicaps us nicely.

Yet we keep them on until 60 minutes, risking going a goal behind while typically offering minimal threat ourselves. We're playing a stupidly dangerous game by not getting our biggest threats on the pitch earlier - although I do understand they like to pretend Mousset can only do 30 minutes. We were lucky we didn't go behind before he came on today. He should've been on between 50-60 minutes while they were having their best spell - if not at half time.

The correct compromise is clearly to start McGoldrick behind Mousset.

We'd regain that much needed number 10, and it's not like we'd be losing any goal threat. McGoldrick can play as a striker anyway.

With those 2, today's level of possession amounts to more chances, without doubt.

And they'd help us have today's sort of possession more often - including in the final third.
Has it occurred to you, given what was KNOWN at the start of the season, that there is no pretending about it ?

I take your point on those 2 today though.

UTB

Has it occurred to you, given what was KNOWN at the start of the season, that there is no pretending about it ?

I take your point on those 2 today though.

UTB

I struggle to accept he can't do 45-60 minutes.

Does anyone else think Moussett looks a class above the rest of our striking options?

His pace, ability to hold it up, trickery and willingness to go after the ball are all so impressive compared to Robbo’s knack of losing every duel and running like he’s stuck in treacle.

I struggle to accept he can't do 45-60 minutes.
You could hear wilder constantly shouting him today to put in some kind of challenge or at least move towards the player with the ball ,that's why he won't start him

He was by far the worse of our strikers today but he deserves a bit of slack

Neither McBurnie nor Robinson look up to it at the moment but neither are the kind of player who will create much themselves. Whilst it would be easy to point the finger in their direction, they're not getting many chances. Playing 3 in the middle has made us more solid but at the expense of our attacking options.

I guess it's the stick or twist gamble but a game like today for crying out for Freeman to come on and cause them a few problems.

I'm not sure we have the money to bring in a striker who will be able to create for himself so something has to give.

Nope not creating the chances I agree
the one that has created chances and also was a link with our midfield is injured and nobs on here wanted him dropped

Goals will be an issue this year.

The problem is they are an issue for around half the prem. And all the other leagues for that, it is the hardest part of the game. A striker that can score you 20 goals a season are like gold dust. We took a gamble on strikers from a lower league than the one we currently play in.

At the very least it will take them a season to find there feet. The big question will be, will that be to late??

You could hear wilder constantly shouting him today to put in some kind of challenge or at least move towards the player with the ball ,that's why he won't start him

He was by far the worse of our strikers today but he deserves a bit of slack
Who was? Mousset?

Back
Top Bottom