Starting XI as it stands (ongoing thread)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Duffy no chance with Freeman & Robinson at the club.
Duffy looked better than Freeman last night and Robinson, I've only seen 180 very good minutes of last year. I'm sure that line up will change, especially when we get Abraham from Chelsea on loan (you heard it here first).

Why people view playing one up front as negative I don't know, I suppose on paper it looks negative but for me it is all about what players you have and a skilful,fast midfield can change into attack very quickly and with players like Robinson, Morrison, Freeman and Mcgoldrick playing with a Mcburnie up top I personally would be delighted with that,playing five in midfield could be the answer to a successful season, seeing us break from midfield either out wide or centrally with the players we are collecting sounds exciting

Having been an absolutely stellar servant, my suspicion given our Confirmed signings is that Duffys days could be numbered.

UTB

Whilst age is a factor, I would not put Duffy out to stud yet because he is instrumental to how we play. When he doesn't start we don't open teams up, even on his worst day we are better when he plays.

Yes, we are right to be looking at CR7 / L.Freeman / Ravel Morrison to make that transition into the Duffy role but it is unfair to burden a new signing with that immediate responsibility.

As for people saying "no room for sentiment". Bollocks. They've got us here, they deserve at least a taste.

Henderson
Baldock Egan O’Connell Stevens
Norwood
L. Freeman McGoldrick Maupay Sharp Robinson​

Why people view playing one up front as negative I don't know, I suppose on paper it looks negative but for me it is all about what players you have and a skilful,fast midfield can change into attack very quickly and with players like Robinson, Morrison, Freeman and Mcgoldrick playing with a Mcburnie up top I personally would be delighted with that,playing five in midfield could be the answer to a successful season, seeing us break from midfield either out wide or centrally with the players we are collecting sounds exciting
Think Man City.

At the moment I would go:-

Moore
Basham Egan O’Connell
Baldock Norwood Fleck Stevens
Freeman Robinson
McGoldrick​

I prefer McGoldrick as a no.10, deep lying striker but I think the above could work with him as a bit of a false no.9. I don’t like the idea of Billy Sharp playing as a lone striker and would like to start with the two attacking midfielders behind a lone striker to see how we go. Gives us a bit of transitional cover when we lose the ball up top as well.

Jags, Duffy, Morrison and Sharp amongst others gives us some good options from the bench if we need to change shape and that’s before we do any other business. Need to get that goalie signed though. That one is bothering me now. Need to sort something out with Man U asap or move on to someone else. It’s taking too long.

Duffy might turn into our supersub coming on in the last half hour.

Gk/Rb/Lwb/Cm/St/St all needed now. Good players not necessarily first teamers but some to compete with Stevens and Bash etc.

Going off our potential linked signings this would excite me:

Hendo

Basham Egan O Connell

Baldock Stevens
Norwood Fleck

Freeman Robinson
Maupay

Subs: Moore, Jags, Freeman, Morrison, Lundstram, Sharp, McGoldrick.

You can swap jags for basham in there for the big games but I reckon that front 3 have goals in them. I’d be confident with that team (assuming we sign Maupay). This is without any additional signings remembering we will still use our loan and are interested in mcburnie/Osborn. Exciting times ahead.

Most people seem to think Norwood and Fleck are shoe ins. Don't agree, there may well be a further midfield player to come in and they will have a real fight on their hands to get a place.

The fact that we'll have competition for places in attack and midfield will push everyone to be at the top of their game. personally I'd still bring in one decent forward (record signing?), but until Henderson arrives there's also the position of 'keeper to consider, and possibly a versatile defensive player.

Wilder's mantra of cover in all positions was never more true. UTMB

One up front?

Fuck right off, thats why Warnock took us down.
I’m pretty convinced that if Hulse hasn’t have broken his leg we’d have stayed up playing one up front.

Which also highlights we why probably won’t do it very often - we don’t have a striker who can play that role as well as Hulse did.

I expect us to play two up, because that suits us and allows us to press high when we lose possession, which is why we didn’t often get caught on the break last season and allowed our overlapping CHs to get back into position.

We’ll play like we did last season with McGoldrick dropping deep to help midfield.

Moore
Basham - Egan - O'Connell
Baldock - Norwood - Fleck - Stevens
Duffy
Sharp-McGoldrick

Bench: Dewhurst - Jagielka - Lundstram - Freeman - Freeman - Morrison - Robinson

It's starting to look quite good.
Really cant see him playing the same team as last year with our 2 record signings on the bench

Really cant see him playing the same team as last year with our 2 record signings on the bench
Depends how they shape up in training, thought Duffy looked as good as ever last night and we know what Sharp & McG are about. There are more to come of course but appreciated I'd may a mistake after including him, Morrison isn't ours yet.

How many attacking mids are new signing , not complaining like.

Not sure fleck and Norwood is enough for the two CM especially when Norwoods has surgery on his hernia and Morrison who is obviously talented but we surely can’t relied on.

Not sure why we’re not looking at players like mooy at hudds I’d be all over him

Henderson
Basham Egan JOC
Baldock. Stevens
Fleck. Norwood
Freeman
Didsy. Moussett

That’s why I’d go with at the minute.

Apparently we'll have a total of 4 record signings in the squad eventually. I suspect Sharp will once again be the one to miss out to a signing not yet made, even though he proves over and again that he is the greatest goal threat we have, 'positional sense' does not show up in any training or review of match stats.

Opening Day Starting IX

Hendo
? - ? - Eagn - JOC - Stevens
Norwood
Freeman - Fleck
CR
OMB

Based on tonight, last season and making couple of assumptions

Henderson
Jags - Egan - O'Connell
Duffy
Sharp-McGoldrick

Bench: Moore - Basham - Morrison - Robinson - L Freeman - K Freeman - Lumdstram

Squad players: Stearman, Bryan, Slater
Update after the Burton game

Henderson
Jags - Egan - O'Connell
Duffy
Robinson-McGoldrick

Bench: Moore - Basham - Morrison - Sharp - L Freeman - K Freeman - Lumdstram

Sounds like at least 4 more to come in, so this will change dramatically. Duffy still ahead of Freeman IMO based on what I've seen so far

blade67 I could see that; obv need Hendo announcing and would love to include Sharp but Robinson's 'all action' style would work better with McG.

Robinson will always be a starter in any system, I predict. He's the one signing so far who is an undoubted first team improvement.

Surly the new lads who are costing £10m or so have to be starting.

Hendo with the same back 5 and midfield that finished last season.

The only debate is over the front 3, as it were.

I am assuming that we land McBurnie, so putting him alongside Robinson with McG in behind.

Options to mix it up from the bench will be Sharp, Mousset, Freeman, Duffy and Morrison. Not bad at all.....

Surly the new lads who are costing £10m or so have to be starting.
what value would you rate a striker who scored 23 goals in last year's Championship with the best minutes to goals ratio?
(Don't make an allowance for age as we are talking effectiveness now not in 3 years time).

what value would you rate a striker who scored 23 goals in last year's Championship with the best minutes to goals ratio?
(Don't make an allowance for age as we are talking effectiveness now not in 3 years time).

I understand your point. But if your spending £10m on a bench player that’s not great use of the money surly?

If Sharp is going to start surly buy another position?

I understand your point. But if your spending £10m on a bench player that’s not great use of the money surly?

If Sharp is going to start surly buy another position?
In the same way that we ended up with Washington, Madine and Hogan last season we need extra bodies in case of suspension and injury, the level we're looking at now they cost 10m+. Also if we end up with Mousset, I think we have 4 different types of striker there, so theoretically any 2 from the 4 could play.

Back
Top Bottom