Squad at the start of next season and dire need for permanent signings

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The only realistic solution I can see is sell Berge and fund a rebuild.
I do think we'll sell Berge but I suspect it will be budgeted for already and we'd only be able to use maybe £1 million of that money on signings.

If the prince reads this & then checks his bank balance it’s enough for him to jump off a bridge

or they will just leave on a free?
There’s not much to be saved by doing that, you might as well just let the contract run down because you’d have to pay somebody else anyway and there’s always a chance of a bid in January if they are playing well or a promotion season that makes the cost worthwhile

Under contract, as things stand, we'll have:

GK:

Wes (last year of contract)

Defenders:

Stevens (last year of contract)
RND
Lowe (possibly sold to Forest)

JOC (unlikely)

Egan

Baldock
Bogle

Midfield:

Berge
Fleck (last year of contract)
Norwood (last year of contract)
Ndiaye

Attack:

Brewster
McBurnie (last year of contract)
Burke (Last year of contract)
Jebbison (Last year of contract)

Obviously, this might be bolstered by players such as Sharp, Basham and Osborn signing contracts. Also the youth players potentially stepping up, but it seems a little unlikely given what we've seen this season.

We're clearly going to be short of number. At least:

1 x GK
2 x LCB
1 x CB
1 or 2 x RCB
3 x midfielders
maybe a striker

That's a lot of gaps to fill with no money. You could argue that we can plug them with loans but we're desperate for permanent signings. If we signed no one permanently, thw 23/24 season would be:

GK:

Defenders:

RND

Egan

Baldock
Bogle

Midfield:

Berge
Ndiaye

Attack:

Brewster

A whole 8 senior players.
Firstly if we make the play offs (we won't win them)
Lowe will be sold if forest go up
As it stands we need to use the foreign market
Personally I would hope we go with the 3-4-3
Keepers wes and Davies
C/backs Egan , bash , beyond that it's lopata,Gordon (I hope that uromovic decides he loves Sheffield )
LWB lowe.rnd and no doubt someone can name one of the u23,s
RWB bogle ( I think he could make the transition to part of the front 3 or even central midfield) baldock seriki
Central 2 baffled as we stand who the hell do we have ? We need a dedicated CDM plus someone who can make things happen
Front 3 brewster.berge ,nidiye (Sharp has to stay )
this squad needs a major rebuild
I haven't been able to go to a game for 3 years due to illness so any games I have to watch on the TV so any comments on the above would be appreciated

Under contract, as things stand, we'll have:

GK:

Wes (last year of contract)

Defenders:

Stevens (last year of contract)
RND

JOC (unlikely)

Egan

Baldock
Bogle

Midfield:

Berge
Fleck (last year of contract)
Norwood (last year of contract)
Ndiaye

Attack:

Brewster
McBurnie (last year of contract)
Burke (Last year of contract)
Jebbison (Last year of contract)

Obviously, this might be bolstered by players such as Sharp, Basham and Osborn signing contracts. Also the youth players potentially stepping up, but it seems a little unlikely given what we've seen this season.

We're clearly going to be short of number. At least:

1 x GK
2 x LCB
1 x CB
1 or 2 x RCB
3 x midfielders
maybe a striker

That's a lot of gaps to fill with no money. You could argue that we can plug them with loans but we're desperate for permanent signings. If we signed no one permanently, thw 23/24 season would be:

GK:

Defenders:

RND

Egan

Baldock
Bogle

Midfield:

Berge
Ndiaye

Attack:

Brewster

A whole 8 senior players.
No faith in Princey coming up with any cash .... sad really McCabe was tight but this owner needs to move on!

I cant see, on current form, and probably since the prem season, that anyone would be seriously considering buying Berge, unless he goes back abroad, and we take a big hit on what we paid.....
What do you honestly think??
I think we will take a big hit too, but I don’t think we have a choice really. He’s a passenger most games anyway. We should get shut and get as much as we can.

Double figures seems realistic.

Keepers wes and Davies
C/backs Egan , bash , beyond that it's lopata,Gordon (I hope that uromovic decides he loves Sheffield )
RWB bogle ( I think he could make the transition to part of the front 3 or even central midfield) baldock seriki
Central 2 baffled as we stand who the hell do we have ? We need a dedicated CDM plus someone who can make things happen
I haven't been able to go to a game for 3 years due to illness so any games I have to watch on the TV so any comments on the above would be appreciated

Firstly, sorry to learn you have been too ill to go to the Lane but good on yer for continuing to follow the Blades. Secondly, who couldn't love Sheffield?!

The season to date and the fact that we are still flirting with the playoffs despite limping towards the finish line shows we aren't far away from a decent side.

I, like others I know, feel that we don't have the right balance. I grew up in an age of wingers and a time when the Blades had great creativity and have been envious of some of the teams we have faced this season who seem to have what we need.

Thank God for Billy and MGW finding the net for us or we would have been in deep do-do but we need the youngsters to come through or some inspired bargain basement signings for 2022/23.

I'd rather evolution than revolution. All revolution does is line the pocket of fat agents.

Despite horrendous injuries were still 6th. Whilst we'd be miles off competing at the top level, we don't have to, we just have to not regress too far beyond some of the other teams. Assuming we don't go up I can see something like this:

Keepers - Wes has been an excellent number one. Toss a coin then if Davies stays or if we take a freeby, maybe someone like Ingham of Hull or Siegrist of Dundee United as back up. The U23 keepers need loans and games.

Wing back - some of your moves will be dictated by contracts still to run. Enda will be one of the left wing backs as nobody will take his wages. So it will probably be him and Rhys once more with Lowe sold. You'd expect Boyes to be loaned to a league club. Unless there is unexpected interest I can also imagine Bogle and Baldock will remain, the latter less likely as a target due to his injury. Seriki probably a league loan and possibly even Starbuck.

Centre back - despite the concern I think Basham will go again. I also think we keep Robinson. He's not past it and is improving. Egan we keep unless he wants to move. If he goes, I'd imagine we come in with a competitive replacement on a free but decent wages for example Jack Stevens at Southampton, Conor Goldson of Rangers, lower down Murray Wallace of Millwall, Jordan Thornily of Blackpool. Lenihan might prefer somewhere significantly better than Blackburn, which we won't be if we stay down. Not sure what has happened to Mawson also who is at Fulham. Decisions then to be made on Lopata and Gordon whether a full season loans suits better. Otherwise I can see one of the above or one loan coming him to cover a few positions like Jarrad Branthwaite/Clarke-Salter/Ben Davies again. Perhaps we give Wisdom a one year deal with a full pre-season behind him to buy the young lads time. We'll still be giving O'Connell his final year to get fit.

Central midfield - for the same reasons as Enda, Norwood and Fleck will still remain. I can see one of Peck/Arblaster breaking into the squad as an option eventually. There is a possibility that Coulibaly would join the group at the same time as Berge possibly being moved on for as close to what we paid for him or as low as 15m. Perhaps we pay a fee to take a performer from League One up to the Championship e.g. Branaghan at Oxford who would bring goals. It will depend on wages for Osborn though his flexibility might still hold appeal to management. Maybe we'd be in for Josh Laurent to bring a bit more height in there of Hecky doesn't fancy Coulibaly in which case maybe he gets sold to the continent. Rothwell I can see him being taken by a promoted team or an Auld firm club and I think likes of Swift and Wallace go to newly promoted teams.

Forwards - I don't see any out and out centre forwards arriving. I see a 3-4-3, 3-4-1-2 or 3-4-2-1 shape remaining. So sometimes it will be one out and out striker, sometimes two. For that reason I think Sharp and Brewster remain and we will be hoping a combination of Jebbison and Osula step up though one or even both may go on loan. We'd expect N'Diaye to kick on and possible emerge to take McGoldricks role. We might also look further down the leagues and be one of the clubs in for Scot Twine if MK Dons don't go up. For McBurnie, see my Stevens comments, though if Rangers get giddy and sell Morelos they may come with a sympathy bid. We may we'll be on for Lawrence to give a little more experience though maybe a recent demoted team like Watford would jump in ahead of us.

So something like this:
G(2) - Foderingham, Davies/Siegrist

D(10) - Bogle, Baldock, Stevens, Norrington-Davies, Basham, Egan, Robinson, Gordon/Wisdom, Davies(L)/Wallace, O'Connell(?)

M(6) - Norwood, Fleck, Coulibaly/Laurent, Branaghan, Peck, Osborn

F(7) - Twine, N'Diaye, Lawrence, Sharp, Brewster, McBurnie/Jebbison, Osula

So, max (7)- 1GK, 1RCB(or KG), 1LCB, 2CM(or 1CM+IC) 2AM/F

The way things stand it looks as though we'll be losing/letting go MGW, Hourihane, B.Davies, Goode, Uremovic, Mousset, Freeman & Burke and assuming we sell Berge & Lowe that's a good chunk off the wage bill with some transfer fees coming in and should give us a bit to work with when looking at targets. I'd imagine the squad next year looks something like this.

Screenshot 2022-04-19 105135.jpg

Defence: Priority is a left-sided centre back, Robinson has been much improved but we can't be relying on him as first choice. I'd also want someone like Goode to come in as competition for Bash and cover for Egan. Ideally we'd also get some solid, experienced cover for that central slot to ease any pressure on Gordon in case of injuries.

Midfield: Desperately need some bodies here at the very least. Preferably more mobile & physical than Norwood & Fleck (can't be hard). Would want one that's comfortable as a holder to come in as a genuine contender for a starting spot and then probably a slightly more versatile cover option that can fit in a 2 or a 3.

Attack: Would love to see a genuine winger come in to play the starting role on the right-side of the attack and also be an option as part of a 2 up top (was Chapman the last one that got any decent minutes?). And then another creative attacking midfielder to cover both of those attacking role/push Ndiaye, ideally also capable in the right side of a midfield 3.

I'd imagine Jebbison & Lopata are loaned out with Osula staying here in the youth setup.

Keepers wes and Davies

You honestly think McCabe provided more transfer funds than the present owner?
No ... but he was a one club man and not some gamer playing with his United World portfolio

The way things stand it looks as though we'll be losing/letting go MGW, Hourihane, B.Davies, Goode, Uremovic, Mousset, Freeman & Burke and assuming we sell Berge & Lowe that's a good chunk off the wage bill with some transfer fees coming in and should give us a bit to work with when looking at targets. I'd imagine the squad next year looks something like this.

View attachment 134388

Defence: Priority is a left-sided centre back, Robinson has been much improved but we can't be relying on him as first choice. I'd also want someone like Goode to come in as competition for Bash and cover for Egan. Ideally we'd also get some solid, experienced cover for that central slot to ease any pressure on Gordon in case of injuries.

Midfield: Desperately need some bodies here at the very least. Preferably more mobile & physical than Norwood & Fleck (can't be hard). Would want one that's comfortable as a holder to come in as a genuine contender for a starting spot and then probably a slightly more versatile cover option that can fit in a 2 or a 3.

Attack: Would love to see a genuine winger come in to play the starting role on the right-side of the attack and also be an option as part of a 2 up top (was Chapman the last one that got any decent minutes?). And then another creative attacking midfielder to cover both of those attacking role/push Ndiaye, ideally also capable in the right side of a midfield 3.

I'd imagine Jebbison & Lopata are loaned out with Osula staying here in the youth setup.
There is a fair amount of domestic talent available at the end of their contract to fill those roles if we did go up, possibly some if we stayed down too, without splurging any of the 120m fees we did last time and be confident you could bounce back if relegated and that their wages would be attainable (so ruling out silly ones like Milner and Tarkowski).

Keepers:
Stick with Davies, Johnstone (WBA), Ingram (Hull), Johansson (Millers), Siegrist (Dundee U), Z Clark (St Johnstone)

Right Centre Back:
Lenihan (Blackburn), Stephens (Southampton), Goldson (Rangers), Nyambe (Blackburn, more RB than can cover RCB), Lockyer (Luton)

Left Centre Back:
Mee (Burnley), Saiss (Wolves), Dummett (Newcastle), Wallace (Millwall)
*bit sparse foreign options, John Anthony Brooks (Wolfsburg), Yaroslav Rakitskyi (formerly Zenit)

Left Wing Back:
Schlupp (Palace), Toffolo (Hudds), Pederson (Birmingham), Dummett (Newcastle), Bell (Luton)

Centre Mid:
Swift (Reading), Rothwell (Blackburn), Longstaff (Newcastle) Groß (Brighton), Laurent, Rinomhota (Reading), Allen (Stoke), Stephens (Burnley), Seri (Fulham), Cork (Burnley)
*Also Florian Grillitsch who we were linked with when we bought Berge is out of contract.

Attacking Mid/Winger:
Wallace (Millwall), Lawrence (Derby), Kebano (Fulham), Yarmolenko (West Ham), Koroma (Hudds)
*David Brooks' contract also expires this summer. Wish him well. Don't wish to jinx him with any other talk.

UTB

I'd rather evolution than revolution. All revolution does is line the pocket of fat agents.

Despite horrendous injuries were still 6th. Whilst we'd be miles off competing at the top level, we don't have to, we just have to not regress too far beyond some of the other teams. Assuming we don't go up I can see something like this:

Keepers - Wes has been an excellent number one. Toss a coin then if Davies stays or if we take a freeby, maybe someone like Ingham of Hull or Siegrist of Dundee United as back up. The U23 keepers need loans and games.

Wing back - some of your moves will be dictated by contracts still to run. Enda will be one of the left wing backs as nobody will take his wages. So it will probably be him and Rhys once more with Lowe sold. You'd expect Boyes to be loaned to a league club. Unless there is unexpected interest I can also imagine Bogle and Baldock will remain, the latter less likely as a target due to his injury. Seriki probably a league loan and possibly even Starbuck.

Centre back - despite the concern I think Basham will go again. I also think we keep Robinson. He's not past it and is improving. Egan we keep unless he wants to move. If he goes, I'd imagine we come in with a competitive replacement on a free but decent wages for example Jack Stevens at Southampton, Conor Goldson of Rangers, lower down Murray Wallace of Millwall, Jordan Thornily of Blackpool. Lenihan might prefer somewhere significantly better than Blackburn, which we won't be if we stay down. Not sure what has happened to Mawson also who is at Fulham. Decisions then to be made on Lopata and Gordon whether a full season loans suits better. Otherwise I can see one of the above or one loan coming him to cover a few positions like Jarrad Branthwaite/Clarke-Salter/Ben Davies again. Perhaps we give Wisdom a one year deal with a full pre-season behind him to buy the young lads time. We'll still be giving O'Connell his final year to get fit.

Central midfield - for the same reasons as Enda, Norwood and Fleck will still remain. I can see one of Peck/Arblaster breaking into the squad as an option eventually. There is a possibility that Coulibaly would join the group at the same time as Berge possibly being moved on for as close to what we paid for him or as low as 15m. Perhaps we pay a fee to take a performer from League One up to the Championship e.g. Branaghan at Oxford who would bring goals. It will depend on wages for Osborn though his flexibility might still hold appeal to management. Maybe we'd be in for Josh Laurent to bring a bit more height in there of Hecky doesn't fancy Coulibaly in which case maybe he gets sold to the continent. Rothwell I can see him being taken by a promoted team or an Auld firm club and I think likes of Swift and Wallace go to newly promoted teams.

Forwards - I don't see any out and out centre forwards arriving. I see a 3-4-3, 3-4-1-2 or 3-4-2-1 shape remaining. So sometimes it will be one out and out striker, sometimes two. For that reason I think Sharp and Brewster remain and we will be hoping a combination of Jebbison and Osula step up though one or even both may go on loan. We'd expect N'Diaye to kick on and possible emerge to take McGoldricks role. We might also look further down the leagues and be one of the clubs in for Scot Twine if MK Dons don't go up. For McBurnie, see my Stevens comments, though if Rangers get giddy and sell Morelos they may come with a sympathy bid. We may we'll be on for Lawrence to give a little more experience though maybe a recent demoted team like Watford would jump in ahead of us.

So something like this:
G(2) - Foderingham, Davies/Siegrist

D(10) - Bogle, Baldock, Stevens, Norrington-Davies, Basham, Egan, Robinson, Gordon/Wisdom, Davies(L)/Wallace, O'Connell(?)

M(6) - Norwood, Fleck, Coulibaly/Laurent, Branaghan, Peck, Osborn

F(7) - Twine, N'Diaye, Lawrence, Sharp, Brewster, McBurnie/Jebbison, Osula

So, max (7)- 1GK, 1RCB(or KG), 1LCB, 2CM(or 1CM+IC) 2AM/F
😙

Interesting!

Not if they are as good Ndyie, Jebbison and Osula.
Ndyie been very hit and miss, yes he's hit a bit of form now but how long has he been an unused sub.

Jebbison has shown absolutely nothing for us since coming back from Burton.

Osula did ok at Bristol City but a 20min spell is alot different from a whole season.

If we are going with the above and what's left of our squad we will be in trouble, and that's without factoring in The Tactical Genius.
We desperately need to go up this season otherwise we'll be nearer the bottom then the top next season.
Unless of course we get taken over by someone with Money to spend and the sense to get a decent manager.
I'm not slagging the Youngsters off, all 3 of them should have good careers just don't think they are ready to play a full season in the Championship.

Ndyie been very hit and miss, yes he's hit a bit of form now but how long has he been an unused sub.

Osula did ok at Bristol City but a 20min spell is alot different from a whole season.

If we are going with the above and what's left of our squad we will be in trouble, and that's without factoring in The Tactical Genius.
We desperately need to go up this season otherwise we'll be nearer the bottom then the top next season.
Unless of course we get taken over by someone with Money to spend and the sense to get a decent manager.
I'm not slagging the Youngsters off, all 3 of them should have good careers just don't think they are ready to play a full season in the Championship.
N'Diaye definitely should be in the mix. Jebbison and Osula will depend how they come back after summer.

If they have filled out a bit and look like beasts them maybe they will be more effective. Osula already seems to have overtaken Jebbo in the physicality stakes.

Otherwise both could do with a full season of men's stuff.

In fact, having seen what we have so far, we would have been as well leaving Jebbison at Burton and just promoting Osula. I see why we did what we did but I think Osula is as effective right now and Jebbo could have benefited from the extra half season. Jebbo has shown he is League One capable but not yet Championship ready, which leaves a quandary as to what to do with him next season. Starting the season once more in League One will feel like no progress tl him, but he's hardly shown he's ready yet for the level above. Still need to remember he can still represent the U18s. There's no rush with him yet.

Plenty of idealist fans on here. Most assuming that we are in a position to strengthen the squad, after losing loan players back to parent clubs.
Truth is, we are overall, a bang average side at the end of this season. The only way that might change is, if we get promoted, or a wealthy owner comes in. Both scenarios mean money might be available for players next season.

In the real world, we are left with what we have right now, minus the loanees. The Prince will want to make a profit again to make the club attractive to buyers/investors. That means keeping the players we have, so Bash and Osborn get new contracts on the same or less money. Berge might move if we get silly money from abroad. Lowe and Burke might go for small money. Beyond that, who knows?

Next season will be in the Championship without MGW and Berge. Billy will pick up a few goals because he’s Billy. Hecky wants permanent signings, but might have to put up with a few loan players because we don’t have any cash to play with. Back to bang average again!

The net result is we need promotion or a wealthy buyer?

I agree that we cannot just rely on these three and other youngsters, but I think they will be an important part of the match day squads next season, alongside Brewster and Bogle.
Some midfield creativity and experience will also be necessary.

Plenty of idealist fans on here. Most assuming that we are in a position to strengthen the squad, after losing loan players back to parent clubs.
Truth is, we are overall, a bang average side at the end of this season. The only way that might change is, if we get promoted, or a wealthy owner comes in. Both scenarios mean money might be available for players next season.

In the real world, we are left with what we have right now, minus the loanees. The Prince will want to make a profit again to make the club attractive to buyers/investors. That means keeping the players we have, so Bash and Osborn get new contracts on the same or less money. Berge might move if we get silly money from abroad. Lowe and Burke might go for small money. Beyond that, who knows?

Next season will be in the Championship without MGW and Berge. Billy will pick up a few goals because he’s Billy. Hecky wants permanent signings, but might have to put up with a few loan players because we don’t have any cash to play with. Back to bang average again!

The net result is we need promotion or a wealthy buyer?
I genuinely think there's value to be had from the EFL. Problem is, we need a whole new midfield. We can potentially bodge for another year but then we're down to single figures.

Back
Top Bottom