Squad at the start of next season and dire need for permanent signings

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

robbiez666

Reaction score
Under contract, as things stand, we'll have:

GK:

Wes (last year of contract)

Defenders:

Stevens (last year of contract)
RND
Lowe (possibly sold to Forest)

JOC (unlikely)

Egan

Baldock
Bogle

Midfield:

Berge
Fleck (last year of contract)
Norwood (last year of contract)
Ndiaye

Attack:

Brewster
McBurnie (last year of contract)
Burke (Last year of contract)
Jebbison (Last year of contract)

Obviously, this might be bolstered by players such as Sharp, Basham and Osborn signing contracts. Also the youth players potentially stepping up, but it seems a little unlikely given what we've seen this season.

We're clearly going to be short of number. At least:

1 x GK
2 x LCB
1 x CB
1 or 2 x RCB
3 x midfielders
maybe a striker

That's a lot of gaps to fill with no money. You could argue that we can plug them with loans but we're desperate for permanent signings. If we signed no one permanently, thw 23/24 season would be:

GK:

Defenders:

RND

Egan

Baldock
Bogle

Midfield:

Berge
Ndiaye

Attack:

Brewster

A whole 8 senior players.

GK:

Defenders:

RND

JOC (unlikely)

Egan

Baldock
Bogle

Midfield:

Berge
Ndiaye

Attack:

Brewster

Obviously, this might be bolstered by players such as Sharp, Basham and Osborn signing contracts. Also the youth players potentially stepping up, but it seems a little unlikely given what we've seen this season.

1 x GK
2 x LCB
1 x CB
1 or 2 x RCB
3 x midfielders
maybe a striker

That's a lot of gaps to fill with no money. You could argue that we can plug them with loans but we're desperate for permanent signings. If we signed no one permanently, thw 23/24 season would be:

GK:

Defenders:

RND

Egan

Baldock
Bogle

Midfield:

Berge
Ndiaye

Attack:

Brewster

Isn’t the keeper, Davies, under contract ?

We'll probably have money but not a lot. Loans/Freebies again but we have had some success over years with freebies so let's hope we can sign some decent younger players.

• Banned
We'll probably have money but not a lot. Loans/Freebies again but we have had some success over years with freebies so let's hope we can sign some decent younger players.

We'll need to be very canny.

One of the major issues is that with no JOC and maybe no Bash do we keep playing the same system? It's really hard to integrate new players into our system but a whole other thing to change it completely. We saw what happened when Slav tried.

GK:

Defenders:

RND

JOC (unlikely)

Egan

Baldock
Bogle

Midfield:

Berge
Ndiaye

Attack:

Brewster

1 x GK
2 x LCB
1 x CB
1 or 2 x RCB
3 x midfielders
maybe a striker

GK:

Defenders:

RND

Egan

Baldock
Bogle

Midfield:

Berge
Ndiaye

Attack:

Brewster

???? Weve literally signed a keeper 3mnths ago.... Davies.
Surely he was signed for more than 6 months wasnt he??, especially as we binned Verrips....

• Banned
With an option to extend though, isnt it?
I'm presuming both parties might want to extend. I assume we will. He might not as he moved with the hope of playing.

We'll need to be very canny.

One of the major issues is that with no JOC and maybe no Bash do we keep playing the same system? It's really hard to integrate new players into our system but a whole other thing to change it completely. We saw what happened when Slav tried.
Slav would still be here i reckon if the board got him some wingers in. He could see what we could

Think it was Southampton who dipped into old 3rd division and had no money so used their youngsters. They developed and got them back to the PL and some of those players turned out to be stars (not good with names).

Big difference now for United is if a youngster shows any signs of potential they are taken off the market and shelved by ’big clubs’ with loads of dirty cash sloshing around Chelsea being the obvious with I understand some 30+ Young players out on loan.

The gaps come from players who are in the final year of their contracts, so we’ll either get something for them or they will stay.
or they will just leave on a free?

???? Weve literally signed a keeper 3mnths ago.... Davies.
Surely he was signed for more than 6 months wasnt he??, especially as we binned Verrips....
Nope short term contract

The only realistic solution I can see is sell Berge and fund a rebuild.

One positive is that we are likely to get a few quid for him now, based on his form on recent months. Not what we paid for him, but still a half decent amount for a Champ club.

I doubt it will be enough to find the rebuild we need though, so we are likely to need to offload another. I can only see Bogle or Egan attracting reasonable fees at the moment though.

Realistic. Not probable!

I do think we’re a bit screwed if we don’t go up, but I’m trying to be optimistic.
I cant see, on current form, and probably since the prem season, that anyone would be seriously considering buying Berge, unless he goes back abroad, and we take a big hit on what we paid.....
What do you honestly think??

we are miles better off than most championship sides who keep posting big or even huge losses
2 consecutive years in profit says we have better options than more than half in the championship
we have several players we can sell who are no worse than many more in the championship
we wouldnt be in 6th place if they were totally shite

how some see our entire squad as crap must mean those from 7th down logically are crapper
daily mirror reports
At least three Championship clubs have been earmarked as being under intense scrutiny with regards their financial situations.

Second tier trio Bristol City, Middlesbrough and Stoke City are all said to have proverbial red lights attached to their names with regards their financial health.

The Robins published a record loss of £38.4million in their most recent set of accounts last month.

Under the EFL's profit and sustainability rules, clubs who incur losses of more than £39m over a three-year cycle are subject to a punishment.

15 of the current championship posted losses over 10m pound

Last edited:
I cant see, on current form, and probably since the prem season, that anyone would be seriously considering buying Berge, unless he goes back abroad, and we take a big hit on what we paid.....
What do you honestly think??
We'll not get our money back for him but I think £8-10 million is realistic. 24. 26 Norway caps. Played in the EPL and Championship to a decent standard. Didn't look out of place in the EPL. OK in the Championship. Suited to neither. Played 40 off games here and scored 6 goals. He'll be a much better player in a league where he gets time on the ball.

We'll not get our money back for him but I think £8-10 million is realistic. 24. 26 Norway caps. Played in the EPL and Championship to a decent standard. Didn't look out of place in the EPL. OK in the Championship. Suited to neither. Played 40 off games here and scored 6 goals. He'll be a much better player in a league where he gets time on the ball.
Unfortunately I don't think he will find that time in an English league.

strange hoe some view our squad as having a reasonable worth
we will lose money on some but still have some return
dont think these are over inflated
like mcburnie shit at scoring but like dion dublin did think hed benifit from turning into a defender which he doies better

Back
Top Bottom