Southgate running eye over JOC

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

O Connell is a better defender than Mings, he has hardly made a mistake for us after those first few tricky games for him.
The last mistake I can remember is at Villa Park last season for Villa's 3rd.

Southgate is on record as saying he wants players playing in their club positions replicating that for the National side, so if he experiments with a 3, I think that will be Jack's time.

I don’t follow England so have no idea how the rest of the XI usually shapes up, but does every other regular starter play the exact same role, or is it just the central defenders that seem to be singled out for that approach?

So who's JOC up against for a CH position? Maguire and Mings who else? He's better than Mings and Maguire seems to be 'involved' every time Man U concede...

Maybe I'm being daft here but:

If the best English centre halves play in successful club sides with rock solid defensive records that happen to deploy a back 3

And England's best record at a tournament since Bobby Moore was a lad has been with 3 at the back.

And we also have an embarrassment of riches for selection of wing backs over traditional full backs.

...Then maybe Southgate ought to rethink his idiotic decision to play Four Four Fucking Three and go with a formation and system that suits the players he has at his disposal.

If the best English centre halves play in successful club sides with rock solid defensive records that happen to deploy a back 3

And England's best record at a tournament since Bobby Moore was a lad has been with 3 at the back.

And we also have an embarrassment of riches for selection of wing backs over traditional full backs.

...Then maybe Southgate ought to rethink his idiotic decision to play Four Four Fucking Three and go with a formation and system that suits the players he has at his disposal.

I mean, if Southgate is getting away with fielding 11 outfield players and we're still shite, he deserves the boot...

If he can get away with a 4-4-3 then he should stick to it!

So who's JOC up against for a CH position? Maguire and Mings who else? He's better than Mings and Maguire seems to be 'involved' every time Man U concede...
Gomez, Stones, Tarkowski, Dunk

JOC Basham Jags all better than Minging Mings (Egan no contest but not English) but Coady was also brilliant the other night Be good to see Harry Coady and OConnell but as Harry doesn't play in a 3 put Basham there

- - - - - - - - - Henderson - - - - - - - - - -
Walker - - - Maguire - - - JOC - -
TAA - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Chilwell-
- - Henderson - - Rice - -
Sancho - - - Kane - - - Sterling - -

Reckon that'd be exciting to watch. Will never happen though of course. Rice let's it down a bit, but not sure who else you'd have in there to break up play in the middle.

I saw someone on Twitter claiming they met Southgate at a charity do earlier in the year and asked him outright about O’Connell and Coady - apparently he only sees them both as being effective in a back three, which he has no intention of moving back to. Four at the back is what he’s sticking with.

That's cos Southgate is a waistcoat wearing penis.

I saw someone on Twitter claiming they met Southgate at a charity do earlier in the year and asked him outright about O’Connell and Coady - apparently he only sees them both as being effective in a back three, which he has no intention of moving back to. Four at the back is what he’s sticking with.
Which is crazy when you consider that England successfully played with a back 3 at the last World Cup and have looked a lot more solid in every game they've played like that. Stones is not reliable enough in a back four. Personally I'd play Coady on the right of a 3 with Maguire in the middle and JOC on the left.

Unfortunately England managers will still pick players simply because they play for the biggest clubs, not the best players suited to the best system for us to play.

Reckon that'd be exciting to watch. Will never happen though of course. Rice let's it down a bit, but not sure who else you'd have in there to break up play in the middle.

Centre middys is where we're lacking as a national side, and LB.

I used middys to be cool.

Despite his Blady Bladesness, what about the opposite direction of Maguire getting back in here? At one stage it sounded exciting, now you'd think less so....

Which is crazy when you consider that England successfully played with a back 3 at the last World Cup and have looked a lot more solid in every game they've played like that. Stones is not reliable enough in a back four. Personally I'd play Coady on the right of a 3 with Maguire in the middle and JOC on the left.

Unfortunately England managers will still pick players simply because they play for the biggest clubs, not the best players suited to the best system for us to play.
Don't worry CW will implement it at England, when he's got us all the big trophies, a few titles and Prem records smashed.
He'll just do England as a part time job obvs, blades come first.

I appreciate he wants a back 4 as it makes it easier to fit his attacking players into a front 3 (not sure he could shoehorn Sancho in as a wingback) but the English defenders we have at the moment are much more suited to being in a back three (as was shown in the last World Cup), primarily because they're not good enough to play with just two centre halves.

Apart from a bit of fanciful totting up at the end there that is far to sensible to be considered by Southgate.

I don’t follow England so have no idea how the rest of the XI usually shapes up, but does every other regular starter play the exact same role, or is it just the central defenders that seem to be singled out for that approach?

It's a standard throughout the team, and also in the younger age groups.
Always scope for an exception but would be a rarity.

Honestly I call bullshit on that one, he's the England manager who just got to the semi-final of a major tournament playing 3-5-2 why the fuck would he rule out playing it again. IF he ever even spoke to him I imagine it was a generic answer of "yes they're very good young players pushing for the squad".

Honestly I call bullshit on that one, he's the England manager who just got to the semi-final of a major tournament playing 3-5-2 why the fuck would he rule out playing it again. IF he ever even spoke to him I imagine it was a generic answer of "yes they're very good young players pushing for the squad".

Tbf he got England to a World Cup semi final by default. He should have got us to that semi final even if he experimented with a different formation every match.

The 3 games we did play where we weren’t clear favourites, we lost them all. Personally, I don’t think playing three at the back was the reason for that, that was more down to his inability to literally watch the games and even attempt to come up with a plan to get us back in it.

Tbf he got England to a World Cup semi final by default. He should have got us to that semi final even if he experimented with a different formation every match.

The 3 games we did play where we weren’t clear favourites, we lost them all. Personally, I don’t think playing three at the back was the reason for that, that was more down to his inability to literally watch the games and even attempt to come up with a plan to get us back in it.

"Semi final by default".

Why are you giving no credit for beating weaker sides, but giving him stick for losing twice to a much better side (Belgium) and once to a side which was pretty much on par, if not stronger, than England?

If you automatically beat the weaker sides by 'default', Southgate got as far as was possible.

J'OC missing our first few games back, our defence falling to pieces in the process, before he comes back and wins Sky's MOTM and helps us keep a clean sheet against Wolves won't have gone unnoticed. Guarantee people like Southgate will have in the back of their minds that our system helps our players play above their level of ability. J'OC's injury made clear how important he is to our team.

If you automatically beat the weaker sides by 'default', Southgate got as far as was possible.

Which is literally what I suggested. He literally met expectations but apparently he deserves godlike status for not being as shit as his predecessors and wearing a waistcoat? Okay then.

-----henderson ----
Arnold --- Stones --- Maguire --- JOC ---- Chilwell

Henderson

Sancho. Barkley/Winks. Sterling

Kane

Which is literally what I suggested. He literally met expectations but apparently he deserves godlike status for not being as shit as his predecessors and wearing a waistcoat? Okay then.

Meeting expectations is a huge change for an England manager though.....When was the last time we actually didn't look completely lost at a major tournament?

Southgate's squad was not great.

There are still huge holes we have right now.
Both the defence and midfield options are very very average.

Wasn’t me that met him - as i say just something i read on Twitter

Back
Top Bottom