So, next season ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

2 points - I agree Baldock is a sellable asset, and his playoff performance confirms that. If we were to sell him, hopefully it would be as late in the window as possible, close to Bogle's recovery time.

Secondly, I was hoping if we went up someone like Lewis-Wing from Hull could be an option as a Number 10. I see he's recently been linked with West Ham, but the point is probably that there are lower league young'uns that can step up and become assets for us in the future, whether we go up or not.

Bring in cauliflower from his loan spell at Beerschot

Let's assume (in a worst case scenario) this is the state of play:

Berge gone - £20m
McBurnie loaned out with option to buy
Brewster and Bogle fit and playable
Moussett, Burke, Freeman, Lowe all gone. Sunk cost.
Billy fit and playable but with kid gloves. See also Bash.
MGW and the rest of the loanees gone back

Baldock and Egan having had enquiries.
O'Connell official announcement he is retiring.

From this, who are our targets (given we've possible got about £15m available - if that - to spend)? Permanents, loans and frees?

What will our team look like with these targets?

pommpey
Think I read somewhere we will only be looking at uk players. Think that could be a mistake but Swift for MGW who will be out of our reach next season.
Someone that has a bit of magic
Think they will be coming in from U18/23. The 16 year old goal machine Lankshear might figure and Coulibaly from Beershot

Berge gone - £20m

From this, who are our targets (given we've possible got about £15m available - if that - to spend)? Permanents, loans and frees?

pommpey

With Berge having run down another year on his contract we'll be lucky to get £15m for him.

Also I think any worst case scenario would also include Ndiaye being sold, God forbid.

Here's my thoughts from various posts. We won't get Swift - I can see him going to a southern based team, probably Norwich or Watford. We'll not get anywhere near £20m for Berge. He's 24 now and has played the last season in the second tier of course. Yes, he's done well but can't see a team forking out £20m for him. I reckon we may attract a bid nearer £12m or a team will sign him on loan with a view to a permanent - who knows what fee we'll get. Hopefully we'll keep him but if he does stay then that will mean our main source of income for spending on the team will be gone.

Let's look at the last three windows. I believe I'm right that we've only signed one permanent player in those windows - Davies from Stoke for whatever small fee that was. So I don't see us suddenly spending £10m like Bournemouth did.

Then there's the youngsters, all of them will need another year somewhere I would imagine. Jebbo may stay but he seems the type to me that wants to play regular football, I can see him going out on loan again to League One. The likes of Brunt, Lopata and Harrison Neal have played in the Conference, that's some jump to come and play in the Championship.

So all in all I reckon it'll be much of the same - a couple of loans - hopefully as good as the MGW one, and a couple of lower transfer fee players, one maybe two free transfers.

Doesn't mean I don't think we'll be strong next season, I think we'll push top two next season.

Sign Uremovic and Hourihan on frees, that's a start.

Berge gone - £20m

pommpey
Hope you are wrong about O'Connell .Getting worrying now. be out for so long.

DCL sell on fee (Arsenal or Newcastle next season) and Everton after Jebbison again to replace DCL. I can see Utd accepting an offer this time for Jebbison after that £5million turned down last time because he won't be a regular next season. That should bring a few million in for Utd.

How does McBurnie leaving end up in the 'worst case' scenario? :)

For me, the priority absolutely HAS to be a MGW-type replacement. Someone that has a bit of magic about them to open up defences. Three years ago, I would have said that Luke Freeman was exactly that type of player, so the irony isn't really lost there.

I'd be happy with our forward line as it is, but that would depend on Sharp's fitness. If Jebbison and Osula develop, we don't need to invest any further there.

Ideally, it would be nice to have a right-sided centre back to sit in for Basham when he's injured. That's the area that we really lack cover.

And finally, we are desperate for a hard tackling midfielder. Not to use in every game, but to dig out for the cold Tuesdays at Blackpool, etc.
May be a fit Boogle could be developed in to a right sided attacking mid fielded . He looked ok attacking down that right hand side and he can score goals to. Only a thought because I can not see much money being offered to our manager having not being allowed to spend owt in the last 2 windows. Sound we will have to make do with what we have. Roll on a take over. God help us if we had average gates in the championship or when our parachute payments dry up.

It’s fine margins in this division between success and failure ..2 seasons Barnsley made the play offs & this season after relegated .. I think the direction that the owners take now will potentially shape our next 5 years or so . As we stand we are an attractive proposition for potential signings but with under investment that will change very quickly .
I do thing Berge will be sold but I fear we’ll not see any that reinvested.. after all the financial talk around our covid season in the prem after the accounts came out we were relegated with a £9M profit ! And followed this up with the same of Ramsdale which we’ll receive in instalments , but we now have signed anyone in the last 3 transfer windows . Loan signings are ok but you can’t build a team around them & after the press conference last year everything is pointing at little investment & we could fall from grace very quickly.
I personally hope we get the change in ownership, the kids we are currently bringing through have potential but are not ready for this level at present .
Interesting times ahead & more so how Hecky & Co would respond to this , having proven what he can do with the current squad .
Player wise we def need a younger player/s in midfield who can carry the ball & def someone of the MGW / Duffy ilk whose will to be more creative & best a man in the last third .
We need a target msn up top who hold the ball up & bring the midfield players in , to play alongside Brewster/Sharp etc.
MGW &!Berge will be big losses but with reinvestment there’s options out there , but not many of them will be ‘free’ transfers & if they are they will want the wages .
Let’s see what happens … UTB

Do what Huddersfield did.

It's taken Huddersfield 3 seasons to get closer to going back up and they were closer to relegation than promotion in both of the other two.

Like it or not, Bournemouth has to be the model: keep the core, keep the faith. We have a far better manager than them so that's a start.

It's taken Huddersfield 3 seasons to get closer to going back up and they were closer to relegation than promotion in both of the other two.

Like it or not, Bournemouth has to be the model: keep the core, keep the faith. We have a far better manager than them so that's a start.

If only we had a billionaire owner that'd allow us to sign a shit defender from Chelsea, who we could then to sell to Man City for 40 million because

a) they are shit at transfers
b) it's a rounding error for them so who cares about point a

Which money that Bournemouth spent are we going to spend?
It doesn't matter how long it took Huddersfiekd,they turned a poor season last time into a great season this one,the fact that we were good this season should make it easier for us to do Huddersfield style recruiting,i.e. not spending shedloads,to turn our next season into a top 2 finish.

Last edited:

In that we can't do anything with him but sideline him to another club with an option to buy.

As I have said - there's a player in Oliver McBurnie. Just not in the stripes we wear.

pommpey
When you said a player, I thought you meant he picks up a bird in one club today and another one in another club tomorrow!

Last summer, Bournemouth sold Danjuma for £21.5m and Surridge for £2.75m. They only spent £4m of that (Lowe for £1.5m, Christie for £2.5m). They also kept hold of Solanke, Billing, Kelly and all their other main players.

Their gamble was in January. That's a different matter.

May be a fit Boogle could be developed in to a right sided attacking mid fielded . He looked ok attacking down that right hand side and he can score goals to. Only a thought because I can not see much money being offered to our manager having not being allowed to spend owt in the last 2 windows. Sound we will have to make do with what we have. Roll on a take over. God help us if we had average gates in the championship or when our parachute payments dry up.

I’ve always liked that idea as well. Baldock at RWB and Bogle at RM would be a decent combination.

My opinion

If Egan goes we have a ready made replacements in Uremovic, no fee needed. I think we need a brand new midfield, coulibaly from what I’ve heard is a box to box midfielder so seems the logical choice is replacing Berge. N’Diaye can take on MGW role in the team. People seem to forget about N’Diaye that it’s his first professional season. Imagine what a good pre season would do to him. He’s our main man now. Baldock and Stevens can go. We have replacement now. Hecky will have a full pre seaaon with the likes of Brewster, Bogle, N’Diaye, RND to coach him on what’s needed. I think possibly 2 midfielders, my choice would be Campbell for Luton and Josh Laurent for Reading (on a free) another striker in Gyokeres or Riis. We will free up wages massively when the likes of Didzy, Stevens, Baldock, Freeman, Burke, Mousset, Goode, Davies, Hourihane all leave. (Probably 70+k a week right here). To balance the books we can sell Egan for 5m, Lowe to forest for arguably 10m and Baldock for 5m so we may even keep Sander if no one wants to pay the price for him (longshot I know)

It’s exciting more than anything as this is the summer a rebuild is needed. UTB

The fact that the season starts in 9 weeks suggests its dangerous to assume any of the injured will be ready, also McBurnie will be still here like a bad penny for the same reason. Unless some firm evidence comes in to be able to sack him (which will hurt us more than him). Therefore we will have to try and make the most out of him again. As his contract is running down he will have to start playing for a contract so we may get something out of him.

Not so sure Berge will go anywhere, not positive enough and inability to head the ball, for the prem. Wages too high for most foreign leauges.

Therefore I can see us getting some cash from where ever we can. Jebbo, Ndiaye and possibly Osula will be target's for the Everton and Bournemouth's of the world. Egan and Baldock both could go and do a job for people who have a gap in their squad, but won't bring much money in, think Burnley if they stay up. That is why we are after 6 or 7. As we are going to be reliant on currently injured talent Bogle, Brewster and god forbid McBurnie and our old war horses, who we have missed when I injured this year, Sharp and Bash.

I actually have confidence in our management team, but it will not be easy.

Last edited:
Think 3 pillars strategy and 20 million reduction in income from Sky next season
Enough said ……..

Opening day side in July…….

…………………….……Wes

…….…..Bash………New CB…………..JLT

Osborn……………………………………………..RND

…………..Norwood………….New CM

…………………….Ndiaye…

………….Sharp………………Brewster

The above is assuming Egan has left, Bogle not fit until Septembish and Baldock has left, We get a younger fitter replacement for Fleck… I can see Nidaye in a version of the ’Duffy role’ now MGW has gone and hopefully a fully fit Brewster and Sharp ready to go in July.
I'd be OK with that lineup, assuming the new CB is at least 6.5 and the new CM is a fit box to box midfielder

It doesn't matter how long it took Huddersfiekd,they turned a poor season last time into a great season this one,the fact that we were good this season should make it easier for us to do Huddersfield style recruiting,i.e. not spending shedloads,to turn our next season into a top 2 finish.
Only problem with that is our recruitment team are crap

Here's my thoughts from various posts. We won't get Swift - I can see him going to a southern based team, probably Norwich or Watford. We'll not get anywhere near £20m for Berge. He's 24 now and has played the last season in the second tier of course. Yes, he's done well but can't see a team forking out £20m for him. I reckon we may attract a bid nearer £12m or a team will sign him on loan with a view to a permanent - who knows what fee we'll get. Hopefully we'll keep him but if he does stay then that will mean our main source of income for spending on the team will be gone.

Let's look at the last three windows. I believe I'm right that we've only signed one permanent player in those windows - Davies from Stoke for whatever small fee that was. So I don't see us suddenly spending £10m like Bournemouth did.

Then there's the youngsters, all of them will need another year somewhere I would imagine. Jebbo may stay but he seems the type to me that wants to play regular football, I can see him going out on loan again to League One. The likes of Brunt, Lopata and Harrison Neal have played in the Conference, that's some jump to come and play in the Championship.

So all in all I reckon it'll be much of the same - a couple of loans - hopefully as good as the MGW one, and a couple of lower transfer fee players, one maybe two free transfers.

Doesn't mean I don't think we'll be strong next season, I think we'll push top two next season.
Hecky said he is expecting 6 or 7.
With 4 loans going back he needs that number to maintain a good squad.
What do we gat if DCL is transferred for £40m ?

Hecky said he is expecting 6 or 7.
With 4 loans going back he needs that number to maintain a good squad.
What do we gat if DCL is transferred for £40m ?
We were told that we had negotiated a good sell on, which I would expect means more than the standard 10%.
Subsequently expect it to be 15% which would provide us with £6m. worse case scenario is £4m

Back
Top Bottom