So how exactly could we spend the munneh?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sam Gallagher - £3.5m rising to £5m, 20% sell on clause. A long term target of Wilder's, a young striker with great potential who's already proven himself in the Championship to a large extent.

I dunno, he's scored 17 Championship goals in 89 games. Now, the teams he's played for at this level have been shite, and I agree about his potential, but I still think he's got a lot to prove. It'd be a bit of a gamble at that price.

Let's say WIlder gets £8m of the Brooks fee on top of £5m he had previously. So £13m to spend.

We've had the 'how much will he get' threads, but what could we actually do with it? Let's have some specific examples.

Sam Gallagher
- £3.5m rising to £5m, 20% sell on clause. A long term target of Wilder's, a young striker with great potential who's already proven himself in the Championship to a large extent. Someone to score 15+ goals and build our forward line around long term. Would be an asset for the club as he should only increase in value under the right management.

Marcus Maddison
- £2.5m. Obvious direct Brooks replacement. He's a bit older, but is an exciting, productive attacking midfielder capable of the spectacular who plays the same positions and is left footed. Would also provide a very handy option as an attacking LWB.

John Egan - £2.5m. Solid CB at a good age with his best years ahead of him who would cover the CB and RCB positions. It would complete our defence and strengthen our starting line up.

Jack Robinson
- Free. A very useful, versatile addition who'd probably replace Stevens at LWB as well as offering perfect competition for O'Connell at LCB. We could stretch a bit further than we might have previously with his wage demands.

Kasey Palmer
or Harry Wilson - Loan, 500k fee. Ball carrying attacking midfielders. Yes it would be dead money but these sort of loans give us the best chance of going up, and paying these fees is more justifiable if we've raised a lot through player sales. These two would also be Brooks replacements but more likely starters. Would potentially take Holmes' place in the squad.

Lys Mousset - Loan, part of the Brooks deal. This would be a quality and unexpected loan signing. He's a highly rated player who started games for Bournemouth last season. Has the physical and technical attributes to make things happen up front. Black and French.

£9m rising to £10.5m would be the total spend there.

That would be reasonable, and we would have gained considerable assets in the process, with four permanently signed young players who haven't hit their prime yet. On top of those we'd have two quality attacking loanees who could give us that much needed pace and cutting edge.

But I'm really not convinced this represents much more than what we would've been able to do anyway, as I think there's a good chance Wilder's initial budget was more than £5m - the indications were that it's a competitive budget, and £5m is hardly that these days.

Nevertheless, the above would give us a very good squad and I'd strongly fancy us to finish in the top 6.

All sensible suggestions but I don't see us shelling out £10m on permanent transfers alone. I hope I'm wrong but we never reinvest the full amount of a big transfer in one transfer window. I'd like to see around £10m in total spent including loans and signing on fees. The rest if there is any left being held over till January its the Blades way.

We're never quick off the mark getting replacements in following a sale. Look at Bristol City sell Flint and within 48 hours have Webster coming through the door as a replacement. He would have been perfect for us at CB. Bristol City are now after Marriott as are Derby who apparently have no money, another player you would think we can turn our attention to now with the supposed Brooks money is virtually in the bank.

Our wage structure restricts us. So mainly mid to bottom end championship or higher league 1 permanent replacements. Gallagher looks promising if its true he's only on £10k a week. CB is my biggest concern after losing out on Webster then Lindsay at Barnsley is a possibility. Egan was being courted by Bournemouth maybe we told them they could have Brooks if they didn't pursue him. He'll be looking for high wages and Brentford are very good at getting money for their players, unlike us, so unless we pay over the odds we should move on. Robinson looks like he's already in so we have cover at LWB.

Palmer and Wilson on loan would be good we can't afford Palmers wages on a permanent.

I really hope we don't blow the money on expensive loans like Hughill and/or Hogan as we have no prospect of signing them on a permanent basis.

We were told a week ago to be patient as it would take time to get quality replacements in. Well the goalposts have now moved with the Brooks money signings should be imminent if CW is going to be allowed to spend it as is being suggested.

Do other clubs see the Brooks deal and think, ah Wilder has more money to spend so lets up the price, we all no Wilder won't be conned but will it happen?
It probably will happen, worst think is Wilder won't even get half of that money so we wouldn't be able to pay that extra even if we wanted too.

With safe standing on it's way, they could turn it into something akin to Borussia Dortmunds 'yellow wall'

They could build something absolutely brilliant. Something that would be a permanent, lasting legacy for the supporters to benefit from and enjoy. If the Kop was done properly, Bramall Lane would be a genuinely outstanding stadium. Swap David Brooks for that..... no brainer! If only.

Maddison, Marriott, Gallagher and mousett. Heard he's a perm if he wants to come. Maddison. Excellent addition. Near perfect replacement for brooks minus the age and international stance. Marriott. As many have seen on here. I'm a bit of a bender for him. Guys a top class striker. And would easily cut it in this league. Gallagher. Has a point to prove. Young so can still improve. Mousett. Similar to Gallagher. Scored 3 in 29 appearances. So many feels surplus to requirements. A perm move would be amazing. But all rumours at the moment.

Heard who's a possible permanent, Gallagher or Mousset?

Marriott's a possibility now with the Brooks money but I wouldn't want to spend £6m on him, which they seem to be asking for. £3-4m then maybe, but it would still feel a bit hollow considering that we could've had him for 400k last summer, when Wilder was apparently considering him.

The daily mirror reckons Wilder's budget before the Brooks money stands at £10mil.

Hope that's true. But we shouldn't need more than £10m so it would make the Brooks sale pretty inexplicable. If we do end up with a budget over £15m though, wow. That's huge. We'd have to be willing to spend the odd big fee in that case.

All sensible suggestions but I don't see us shelling out £10m on permanent transfers alone. I hope I'm wrong but we never reinvest the full amount of a big transfer in one transfer window. I'd like to see around £10m in total spent including loans and signing on fees. The rest if there is any left being held over till January its the Blades way.

We're never quick off the mark getting replacements in following a sale. Look at Bristol City sell Flint and within 48 hours have Webster coming through the door as a replacement. He would have been perfect for us at CB. Bristol City are now after Marriott as are Derby who apparently have no money, another player you would think we can turn our attention to now with the supposed Brooks money is virtually in the bank.

Our wage structure restricts us. So mainly mid to bottom end championship or higher league 1 permanent replacements. Gallagher looks promising if its true he's only on £10k a week. CB is my biggest concern after losing out on Webster then Lindsay at Barnsley is a possibility. Egan was being courted by Bournemouth maybe we told them they could have Brooks if they didn't pursue him. He'll be looking for high wages and Brentford are very good at getting money for their players, unlike us, so unless we pay over the odds we should move on. Robinson looks like he's already in so we have cover at LWB.

Palmer and Wilson on loan would be good we can't afford Palmers wages on a permanent.

I really hope we don't blow the money on expensive loans like Hughill and/or Hogan as we have no prospect of signing them on a permanent basis.

We were told a week ago to be patient as it would take time to get quality replacements in. Well the goalposts have now moved with the Brooks money signings should be imminent if CW is going to be allowed to spend it as is being suggested.

I agree about Adam Webster, he seems like a perfect one for us. If he has cost an initial £3.5m as reported, that wouldn't be out of our range either.

Can see them getting Marriott too. They've not fucked about replacing Flint, they probably won't fuck about replacing Reid. I think they're the most likely to go straight in with an offer meeting Peterborough's asking price.

The wage structure is an issue. It's OK having some big war chest , but if you don't increase the wage ceiling you'll still very much be fishing in the same pond.

Are you sure Bournemouth are interested in Egan and not the other CB, Mepham?

Heard who's a possible permanent, Gallagher or Mousset?

Marriott's a possibility now with the Brooks money but I wouldn't want to spend £6m on him, which they seem to be asking for. £3-4m then maybe, but it would still feel a bit hollow considering that we could've had him for 400k last summer, when Wilder was apparently considering him.

Hope that's true. But we shouldn't need more than £10m so it would make the Brooks sale pretty inexplicable. If we do end up with a budget over £15m though, wow. That's huge. We'd have to be willing to spend the odd big fee in that case.

I agree about Adam Webster, he seems like a perfect one for us. If he has cost an initial £3.5m as reported, that wouldn't be out of our range either.

Can see them getting Marriott too. They've not fucked about replacing Flint, they probably won't fuck about replacing Reid. I think they're the most likely to go straight in with an offer meeting Peterborough's asking price.

The wage structure is an issue. It's OK having some big war chest , but if you don't increase the wage ceiling you'll still very much be fishing in the same pond.

Are you sure Bournemouth are interested in Egan and not the other CB, Mepham?

Either, sure I read somewhere Gallagher is priced at 3 million. Mousett is a player exchange for brooks apparently. All depending if he wants to come across. Seems out of favour so has some legs in it. Marriott is easily worth the six million. Without a shadow of a doubt. The guys class. And I'm shocked he hasn't been picked up at the beginning of last season. Maybe 4.75 million with increases up to 6 based on performance bonuses.

Can you think of a player who is guaranteed 15-20 goals, within our budget?

As I've said in another thread, Matej Vydra - £8-ish million. Years ago we spent £3m on Ched and £4m on Beattie so £8m nowadays isn't that much. Rather spend that on a proven scorer than fritter it on 4 or 5 average players.

Last seasons top scorers. Grabban is on loan from Bournemouth and could be recalled if King goes , Bobby Reid has gone, Jota is in the PL. Imagine 2 out of these top five playing for us? (and Leon's 'Shots on target' may surprise some.)

upload_2018-6-29_11-56-17.png

Cue 'McCabe wouldn't spend that!' With no realistic alternative suggestions...

Wages will eat up a certain amount of the money, people forget that when calculating spend.

Damn! I just knew there was a flaw in my argument. Of course, United are the only club with a wage bill...

All points of consideration, but in my example I have us spending £9m up front out of the £13m hypothetical budget.

But those signings would afd around 2.5-3 million per year to the wage bill too. If all on 3 year deals that's about 8-9 million plus signing on fees, agent fees etc. So we'd need to sell him for 20 million or so to fibanfi those deals.

Either, sure I read somewhere Gallagher is priced at 3 million. Mousett is a player exchange for brooks apparently. All depending if he wants to come across. Seems out of favour so has some legs in it. Marriott is easily worth the six million. Without a shadow of a doubt. The guys class. And I'm shocked he hasn't been picked up at the beginning of last season. Maybe 4.75 million with increases up to 6 based on performance bonuses.

I know it's wrong to judge a player on one performance but Marriott against Leicester in the cup last year was very poor and looked totally out of his depth. £6 million? Not sure about that.

I know it's wrong to judge a player on one performance but Marriott against Leicester in the cup last year was very poor and looked totally out of his depth. £6 million? Not sure about that.
Player of the season last season. Won player of the month last season, 29 goals in 44 appearances for Peterborough, young version of Billy sharp. Scored in one in every two games statistically. Would be a massive coup imo.

There's no way we'll entertain a player exchange for Mousett. We can't afford his wages, we need the money and if the fees reported are correct Bournemouth would make around £5 million profit. Even the Blades aren't that bad at negotiating. Loan looks the best option hopefully with Bournemouth paying most of the wages. Agree 100% on Marriott.

As I've said in another thread, Matej Vydra - £8-ish million. Years ago we spent £3m on Ched and £4m on Beattie so £8m nowadays isn't that much. Rather spend that on a proven scorer than fritter it on 4 or 5 average players.

Last seasons top scorers. Grabban is on loan from Bournemouth and could be recalled if King goes , Bobby Reid has gone, Jota is in the PL. Imagine 2 out of these top five playing for us? (and Leon's 'Shots on target' may surprise some.)

View attachment 40969

Cue 'McCabe wouldn't spend that!' With no realistic alternative suggestions...

Damn! I just knew there was a flaw in my argument. Of course, United are the only club with a wage bill...

You are painfully dense.

Not being able to afford players (Grabban and Vydra included) is a legitmate reason not to sign them.

There's no way we'll entertain a player exchange for Mousett. We can't afford his wages, we need the money and if the fees reported are correct Bournemouth would make around £5 million profit. Even the Blades aren't that bad at negotiating. Loan looks the best option hopefully with Bournemouth paying most of the wages. Agree 100% on Marriott.
Not too sure then, maybe it is a loan move.

I've had another thought about what we could do with the 'munneh'...

To prove that we are good and charitable neighbours, we could send some cans of paint and a skip or two over to Swillsboro. As we all know, it could do with sprucing up and it would look very fetching painted red!

I've had another thought about what we could do with the 'munneh'...

To prove that we are good and charitable neighbours, we could send some cans of paint and a skip or two over to Swillsboro. As we all know, it could do with sprucing up and it would look very fetching painted red!

We've only got ten million.

Doubt we'd go for Mousset. Too exotic, the most exotic player we had last season was Donaldson because he's eligible for Jamaica, he was still from Bradford though haha..

To be honest I'd be inclined to go for loans of the "good lad wants to play football" variety from the mid table ish Premier League benches, 3 or 4 and offer to pay a higher percentage to their parent clubs with some of the money and have a bloody good go at going up. It's the wages, that's the problem, the loan aspect shields United a little and maybe protects from some of the "he's on what? I want that" from some of our more talented players.

It would be fantastic to get a good striker in though, one under 25.

Player of the season last season. Won player of the month last season, 29 goals in 44 appearances for Peterborough, young version of Billy sharp. Scored in one in every two games statistically. Would be a massive coup imo.

Sounds impressive. How many times have you seen him play?

Several, various reports from friends down in that area. Watched him several times myself. Think a younger Billy sharp with added pace.

Several, various reports from friends down in that area. Watched him several times myself. Think a younger Billy sharp with added pace.

If we were to sign him I very much hope you have it right and that I've misjudged him. But £6 million? I would be surprised if Wilder would part with half that.

If we were to sign him I very much hope you have it right and that I've misjudged him. But £6 million? I would be surprised if Wilder would part with half that.
He's immense mate. Like I say, I'm genuinely shocked nobody has picked him up earlier.

Apparently we'll break our transfer record with one signing if it comes off.

<<< Wonder who that could be....

Let's say WIlder gets £8m of the Brooks fee on top of £5m he had previously. So £13m to spend.

We've had the 'how much will he get' threads, but what could we actually do with it? Let's have some specific examples.

Sam Gallagher
- £3.5m rising to £5m, 20% sell on clause. A long term target of Wilder's, a young striker with great potential who's already proven himself in the Championship to a large extent. Someone to score 15+ goals and build our forward line around long term. Would be an asset for the club as he should only increase in value under the right management.

Marcus Maddison
- £2.5m. Obvious direct Brooks replacement. He's a bit older, but is an exciting, productive attacking midfielder capable of the spectacular who plays the same positions and is left footed. Would also provide a very handy option as an attacking LWB.

John Egan - £2.5m. Solid CB at a good age with his best years ahead of him who would cover the CB and RCB positions. It would complete our defence and strengthen our starting line up.

Jack Robinson
- Free. A very useful, versatile addition who'd probably replace Stevens at LWB as well as offering perfect competition for O'Connell at LCB. We could stretch a bit further than we might have previously with his wage demands.

Kasey Palmer
or Harry Wilson - Loan, 500k fee. Ball carrying attacking midfielders. Yes it would be dead money but these sort of loans give us the best chance of going up, and paying these fees is more justifiable if we've raised a lot through player sales. These two would also be Brooks replacements but more likely starters. Would potentially take Holmes' place in the squad.

Lys Mousset - Loan, part of the Brooks deal. This would be a quality and unexpected loan signing. He's a highly rated player who started games for Bournemouth last season. Has the physical and technical attributes to make things happen up front. Black and French.

£9m rising to £10.5m would be the total spend there.

That would be reasonable, and we would have gained considerable assets in the process, with four permanently signed young players who haven't hit their prime yet. On top of those we'd have two quality attacking loanees who could give us that much needed pace and cutting edge.

But I'm really not convinced this represents much more than what we would've been able to do anyway, as I think there's a good chance Wilder's initial budget was more than £5m - the indications were that it's a competitive budget, and £5m is hardly that these days.

Nevertheless, the above would give us a very good squad and I'd strongly fancy us to finish in the top 6.

Are you expecting we’ll get £12m up front then? That’s not usually how it works. Maybe up to 50% up front, the rest in instalments.

However much we get I don’t think it will all go on the team. In fact I don’t think even the majority of it will go on the team. Every season since we left the Prem we’ve relied on making a profit on player sales to run the club. I don’t think that’s going to change anytime soon.

Don’t get too carried away looking at what you can spend your £12m on. If we spend more than £3m on players this summer I’ll be astonished. I can see us making one or two permanents, up to £2m, the rest loans.

Are you expecting we’ll get £12m up front then? That’s not usually how it works. Maybe up to 50% up front, the rest in instalments.

However much we get I don’t think it will all go on the team. In fact I don’t think even the majority of it will go on the team. Every season since we left the Prem we’ve relied on making a profit on player sales to run the club. I don’t think that’s going to change anytime soon.

Don’t get too carried away looking at what you can spend your £12m on. If we spend more than £3m on players this summer I’ll be astonished. I can see us making one or two permanents, up to £2m, the rest loans.

In which case then surely the same applies for the signings we make. The Brooks money can pay the 50% with instalments covering instalments.
Never understood that argument. As if we are some how hard done by..

Back
Top Bottom