Outgoing? Slav to Levante

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Levante are rock bottom without a La Liga win so far this season.

I was thinking about Slav other day. I think that was his last job in England. Think he's too stubborn to come back. He'll see it as a failure and check out other countries

Levante are rock bottom without a La Liga win so far this season.

I was thinking about Slav other day. I think that was his last job in England. Think he's too stubborn to come back. He'll see it as a failure and check out other countries

I always got the impression that his heart wasn't in it. He'd spent his career in England living in London, and according to Alan Nixon (I know, I know) he liked the good life and living in luxury. Add to that he'd just spent the last few years picking up a wage in Qatar, I think he's now at that stage in his career where he'll pick and choose his jobs on the quality of life.

Quite liked t'owd Slav me. The football was good in places and we had SOME good results, just don't think the squad was the right fit for his style of play, so it made him look bad.

I know some peoples dislikes started at "carnt undastand is forrun acsent", but if you actually have a brain he seemed like a nice enough bloke, and he has proven with the right squad he can go places. Just wasn't going to happen here, good manager, but not a Sheff Utd one.

I liked Slav, he’s certainly got a decent previous record and managers don’t become bad managers overnight.

We’ll probably never know what he was promised but he wasn’t able to adapt his style to the players we have in the short term and long term there was definitely no plan for the club to invest in his ideas.

In hindsight it was a shocking move from the club to bring in a manager that needed to overhaul the squad to get things working. It shows that we have a distinct lack of competence on our board and it was a project doomed to fail unless Slav changed his methods or the club backed him. Neither happened.

Quite liked Slav but the players just didn’t respond to him , wether that was bad on the players part or Slavs I just don’t know ?

Sacking him has probably blown any cash we had for January though !

Quite liked t'owd Slav me. The football was good in places and we had SOME good results, just don't think the squad was the right fit for his style of play, so it made him look bad.

I know some peoples dislikes started at "carnt undastand is forrun acsent", but if you actually have a brain he seemed like a nice enough bloke, and he has proven with the right squad he can go places. Just wasn't going to happen here, good manager, but not a Sheff Utd one.

Agreed with everything you said except the not a Sheff Utd one.
We must be the only professional football club that has to have a certain type of manager.
We are obsessed with managers who are supporter's or have played for us. God forbid if we did get a manager that isn't at least from Yorkshire because we can't understand them.
We even have supporter's getting Billy, Jags or Bash ready for the hot seat.
I beginning to think we need to change our name to Royston Vasey United.

I worried at the start he might come here and not give it a proper go knowing thar if he was sacked (rather than resign) he would get a reyt payout for a few months work.
And tbh he seemed to immediately go head to head with the board and was issuing ultimatums re transfers and budget from the off.

I have a sensation that our board made a mistake in appointing Slav, when they did not have the means or intent to deliver the players he needed

The level of indifference I have to Slav and his time here is pretty strong. I'm sure most fans feel the same. He already just feels so irrelevant despite having only just left.
Never understood a word he said or how he was ever successful as a football manager in the Championship

I liked Slav, he’s certainly got a decent previous record and managers don’t become bad managers overnight.

We’ll probably never know what he was promised but he wasn’t able to adapt his style to the players we have in the short term and long term there was definitely no plan for the club to invest in his ideas.

In hindsight it was a shocking move from the club to bring in a manager that needed to overhaul the squad to get things working. It shows that we have a distinct lack of competence on our board and it was a project doomed to fail unless Slav changed his methods or the club backed him. Neither happened.
Spot on.
Our owner or board or CEO have completely bungled things since arriving in PL in 2019.
Allowed Wilder to spend all the money , mainly on duds.
Failed to ring-fence some money for a training facility & academy.
Failed to deal with JoC injury properly or insist on a high quality replacement but spent big on a baby striker who was of no immediate use to the team.
Failed to let Wilder go when he wanted out once relegation loomed in Autumn 2020.
Failed to have a permanent replacement ready despite having loads of time to do so.
Appointed a new manager who could not arrive soon enough to get a preseason.
Appointed a new manager who was always going to need money to overhaul the squad.
Failed to have that money available, despite spelling our England goalie.
Thus a stupid appointment , whichever way you look at it.
The owner paid £5m for the club.
At one point it was worth over £100m.
But he was too greedy or unable to bring in a REAL investor at that stage.
Now it's worth feck-all and saddled with a mortgage for the ground.
I've no sympathy for him , for the bungling is his own.
But I've plenty of remorse , nay anger , for our hapless club & my fellow fans.

Never understood a word he said or how he was ever successful as a football manager in the Championship
I got how he was successful previously he assembled incredible attacking sides and let them go and express themselves with a you score 4 we’ll score 5 mentality. Issue was that he was a manager who needed to be backed heavily to assemble that sort of side strange hire for us in hindsight given we didn’t want to heavily invest.

Back
Top Bottom