Six of the worst - the worst performances I have seen at Bramall Lane

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Agree I was there and even at 3-0 down with about 30 minutes to go I felt fairly confident we could get at least a draw.

We were creating clear chances every few minutes and could have scored 10 that night. Think we hit the woodwork several times and think we also had 2 or 3 goals disallowed for tight offside decisions.

When Scunthorpe scored their 4th I just laughed. Think they only had 5 attacks all night but somehow managed to score 4. Left the match feeling quite upbeat because we were brilliant playing open attacking and very entertaining football, was it Danny Wilson who was manager?
Gary Speed. Him, and the team we're never quite the same after that game.

Altrincham 3 Blades 0 - FA Cup Replay ROUND 2 I think in 1981 I think. This was the only real blip on a great season - but boy we were woeful that night.

And also the Blades 0 Oldham 5 under Billy McEwan was a complete shocker…. His last game before Bassett came in. And let’s not forget that he could not save us that season and we got relegated before he rebuilt us with back to back promotions. That is actually similar to how I feel now….ie you can’t see how we will ever get out of this mess, but a change of manager & 12 months on - everything changed! Fingers crossed it happens again.
1st round
Monday night after 2-2 draw on the Satdi afore
Last time I’ve worn a (SUFC) scarf - tossed it away while having a piss coming back over Woodhead
‘Fun’ (?) fact - we’ve never beaten em in a competitive game

I've found this thread to be quite therapeutic! All the other low.points and it turned out to be 'alright in the wash', eventually!

For many years I have said that the single worst Blades performance I have ever seen was the 0-5 defeat v Oldham. We were embarrassingly bad.

I have thought long and hard as to whether the Newcastle defeat was worse. I have decided they are a tie.

Good call from a poster not prone to hyperbole, but IMHO, I'd have to chuck the Port Vale home game in there too.

I was there!! United were awful, especially David White. Pretty sure it was 2-1. I remember Vonk trying to gee up the away fans at one point. Didn’t go well 😂 Also think that was the year we lost the 2nd leg 2-5 at home.

7-3 on aggregate. Kevin Francis was tall and Alun Armstrong was good. But 7-3!!
Ah I meant the home game, I travelled as I lived in Lincolnshire at the time. F me you were keen if you went to the away leg!

That's right, although I'd forgotten that but until I stumbled across a match report yesterday. It was written by a Sunderland fan but remarkably even-handed in the circumstances.
This it ?

They do tend to a good proportion of ‘decent’ fans who empathise (sympathise?) with us (me ?) having experienced similar levels of shit.
Alehouse conversations routinely involve me eulogising about this Bridges performance- probably the best I’ve seen by an opposition player (with the added bonus of humiliating Bruce). They reciprocate by talking about Sabella when they beat us 6-2 @ Roker, midweek.
Also ‘bond’ over Arnott, MacPhail & Bolton.
We ‘agree to differ about Andy Gray & my username ‘bette noir’ - apparently he (somehow) netted a screamer agin Chelsea !?!?!

Two away shockers at Gillingham stick in my mind one was a 4-1 defeat in 2001 where we had a keeper called Frank Talia who I'd never heard of and one was the first game under Adkins which got us all very excited for the season to open with a 4 nil loss. I think these games are made worse by being in Gillingham, possibly one of the most depressing places in our Solar system.
Nailed it the biggest bubble burst in 45 mins of football Adkins 1st game i foolishly fell for the hype genuinely excited and wallop. Strangely i was more angry at this performance than i was the 0-8 this season.

I remember going to Blackburn on an open terrace. It pissed it down for 90 minutes and we lost 6-0.

Even that wasn't as bad as Saturday.

Luckily I missed the Newcastle game. Lucky me 😀😀

1st round
Monday night after 2-2 draw on the Satdi afore
Last time I’ve worn a (SUFC) scarf - tossed it away while having a piss coming back over Woodhead
‘Fun’ (?) fact - we’ve never beaten em in a competitive game
had a good drink with their goalkeeper afterwards in the social club at Altrincham....Silent, i forget his name but did he once play for United?

Saturday's awful performance against Bournemouth got me thinking about where it stands in my all time worst matches I have seen at Bramall Lane.
1. United 0 Oldham 5 1988. Surely no result can ever be this bad. Being thrashed by Oldham Athletic! It was so bad it led to a carpark protest and the end of Billy McEwan's time in charge. On a bright note, if this result had never happened maybe we wouldn't have had Bassett as manager and all the drama that occurred as a result.
2. United 0 Newcastle 8 2023. Such a bad result - if James Alexander Gordon was still around it would have been one of those rare occasions that he repeated the score to a disbelieving audience. I was just glad that it didn't end up being double figures.
3. United 0 Stoke 3 2007. Peak Bryan Robson, on a freezing cold Tuesday night (I can't actually remember if it was cold but losing heavily to Tony Pulis' Stoke it must have been). Three down within 20 minutes many were leaving before halftime.
4. United 0 Sunderland 4 1998. Not sure if Michael Bridges is the only away player to score four at Bramall Lane. It did persuade Steve Brice to finally hang up his boots
5. United 1 Bournemouth 3 2023. I don't think I have seen United play so poorly from minute one. We were totally outplayed to relegation rivals
6. United 1 Crawley 0 2014 OK we won, but to me a low point watching United was seeing our players heading to the corner flag on 82 minutes trying to count down the clcok at home to Crawley!! One of the few times I booed the players (I even avoided it on Saturday).
At the end of the game against Oldham in '88 it was blindingly obvious that McEwan was done.

I think it was only Mark Todd that looked remotely up to standard.

No mention of Wigan at home?
Not that long ago and many of you would have been there. Relegated us last game of season on a wet Sunday afternoon.
Absolutely guttless performance by Warnock and the players considering what was at stake.
Utterly piss poor. I stayed in the ground until it was almost empty in disbelief at how crap we had just been with what was at stake. Saw Sean Bean come out of the directors gangway on the now empty south stand on his own looking furious and later learned what had happened.
I've seen some shit in the years before this game and plenty more since but Wigan is right up there for me.

Saturday's awful performance against Bournemouth got me thinking about where it stands in my all time worst matches I have seen at Bramall Lane.
1. United 0 Oldham 5 1988. Surely no result can ever be this bad. Being thrashed by Oldham Athletic! It was so bad it led to a carpark protest and the end of Billy McEwan's time in charge. On a bright note, if this result had never happened maybe we wouldn't have had Bassett as manager and all the drama that occurred as a result.
2. United 0 Newcastle 8 2023. Such a bad result - if James Alexander Gordon was still around it would have been one of those rare occasions that he repeated the score to a disbelieving audience. I was just glad that it didn't end up being double figures.
3. United 0 Stoke 3 2007. Peak Bryan Robson, on a freezing cold Tuesday night (I can't actually remember if it was cold but losing heavily to Tony Pulis' Stoke it must have been). Three down within 20 minutes many were leaving before halftime.
4. United 0 Sunderland 4 1998. Not sure if Michael Bridges is the only away player to score four at Bramall Lane. It did persuade Steve Brice to finally hang up his boots
5. United 1 Bournemouth 3 2023. I don't think I have seen United play so poorly from minute one. We were totally outplayed to relegation rivals
6. United 1 Crawley 0 2014 OK we won, but to me a low point watching United was seeing our players heading to the corner flag on 82 minutes trying to count down the clcok at home to Crawley!! One of the few times I booed the players (I even avoided it on Saturday).
I remember us losing at home 0-2 to Wigan who had a good side at the time under Paul Jewell and we couldn't get anywhere near them it could have been 5 or 6

Also if I recall August 2016, 0-3 at home to Southend after 15 minutes , but no one remembers that one , 1-3 at home to chesterfield as well sticks in the mind too

Back
Top Bottom