Six of the worst - the worst performances I have seen at Bramall Lane

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

What about any defeats to Wednesday?

Can’t believe we’d lose to such a small tinpot team 😆

I mean, where do I start with this one? There are so many to choose from , I'm literally spoilt for choice.

I'd have to say the worst was Port Vale in 99.

Wish I hadn’t started reading this thread I was just starting to put the Bournemouth game out of my mind.
Now it’s started bringing back all the shocking memories when I have felt so dejected after the game.
I sometimes wonder why do i go, but even though we have never won anything in my lifetimewe havehad
some great times.
When we have had good times it’s brilliant and the support is awesome, which makes it all worthwhile.
The blades have been my team for 66 years and deep down I know I won’t stop going. UP THE BLADES.

Two away shockers at Gillingham stick in my mind one was a 4-1 defeat in 2001 where we had a keeper called Frank Talia who I'd never heard of and one was the first game under Adkins which got us all very excited for the season to open with a 4 nil loss. I think these games are made worse by being in Gillingham, possibly one of the most depressing places in our Solar system.

Some ‘good ones’ above, but sadly the way the this season is shaping up there will plenty of new top 10 contenders for this category come next May, particularly if there any more repeats of last Saturday’s performance.

Before this season I think the worst home League performance I've seen live was a 3-0 defeat to Coventry on Boxing Day 1991. When it worked Bassett's team was great to watch, direct but exciting, when it didn't, it was truly dreadful. We literally could not string two passes together that day and it was fucking freezing too. I left after the 3rd went in on around 65 minutes.

I was at the infamous Bury away 1-0 defeat in Adkins' season. It was toxic that night, the team played like drunks, later Baxter was revealed to have failed a drugs test and the only player to come out with any credit was poor George Long as if it hadn't been for him, it would have been about 6-0.

In the cup, it's easily the aforementioned Stockport game. They bullied us and deservedly won 5-2, which flattered us. Thought it was Alun Armstrong and Brett Angell who tore us apart.

Not got the memory to rank them properly. But here's some shockers off the top of my head

Lost 2-0 at St Andrews in 2002. Andy Smith came on at one point. I'm not sure we had a shot.
The frankly horrific 2-0 defeat at Oakwell, March 97. Barnsley coppers celebrating with pitch invading Barnsley fans while United make no attempt to even compete
6-0 at Man City. Tracey sent off. Horlock, Goater and Gareth Taylor scoring, I don't mind. Dickov and Mark Kennedy 🤮
The surrender at Villa Park in the penultimate game of 06/07. We didn't even try. Anyone wanting Warnock back should remember this day
1-3 v Notts County, August 1994. I was only 13 but I remember thinking "my God, the horror". There were only 15k there as well. Littlejohn scored for United (I think)
4-0 defeat at Wigan, September 2004. Nathan Ellington annihilated Jags
The Notts County was all the more depressing as we used to stand on the West Terrace, it was my first game after it being knocked down and sitting in the south stand all i could see was rubble where i had once had some of the best football moments of my life.

Before this season I think the worst home League performance I've seen live was a 3-0 defeat to Coventry on Boxing Day 1991. When it worked Bassett's team was great to watch, direct but exciting, when it didn't, it was truly dreadful. We literally could not string two passes together that day and it was fucking freezing too. I left after the 3rd went in on around 65 minutes.

I was at the infamous Bury away 1-0 defeat in Adkins' season. It was toxic that night, the team played like drunks, later Baxter was revealed to have failed a drugs test and the only player to come out with any credit was poor George Long as if it hadn't been for him, it would have been about 6-0.

In the cup, it's easily the aforementioned Stockport game. They bullied us and deservedly won 5-2, which flattered us. Thought it was Alun Armstrong and Brett Angell who tore us apart.
Yes that Coventry game was a stinker, whenever I think of Boxing Day that's what flashes through my head. I can only presume they were hungover and full of turkey but God it was bad. You're right at times under Bassett there would be a dog's dinner of a performance. My first trip to Forest was a 2-0 defeat with Andy Sayer (?) up front and Jesus we offered nothing.

Saturday was diabolical, not because of the score, but because of the nature of the defeat.

For me it was a hundred times worse than Newcastle as there were some mitigating factors on that day but there was no excuse this week.

To me Saturday felt like this game
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/aug/14/sheffield-united-qpr-kevin-blackwell-match-report

After which I said to my son "that's it, he's got to go"

He looked at me in astonishment and said "you never say that" which is generally true but I'm afraid that I'm now not very far away from saying it again.

Conversely best performances I have seen when we have lost

Number 1

Scunthorpe 0-4 at home we were like a mix of Brazil 70 and France 98 don't be fooled by the result.

Agree I was there and even at 3-0 down with about 30 minutes to go I felt fairly confident we could get at least a draw.

We were creating clear chances every few minutes and could have scored 10 that night. Think we hit the woodwork several times and think we also had 2 or 3 goals disallowed for tight offside decisions.

When Scunthorpe scored their 4th I just laughed. Think they only had 5 attacks all night but somehow managed to score 4. Left the match feeling quite upbeat because we were brilliant playing open attacking and very entertaining football, was it Danny Wilson who was manager?

What was the match in 1987 or 1988 in front of 6600 odd? That one.

The whole thing was played in silence as far as my aged memory recalls.

Yes that Coventry game was a stinker, whenever I think of Boxing Day that's what flashes through my head. I can only presume they were hungover and full of turkey but God it was bad. You're right at times under Bassett there would be a dog's dinner of a performance. My first trip to Forest was a 2-0 defeat with Andy Sayer (?) up front and Jesus we offered nothing.
If you're referring to the game at Forest which broke our winning run in 1991, I was there too and it was Tommy Gaynor who scored both the goals.

What was the match in 1987 or 1988 in front of 6600 odd? That one.

The whole thing was played in silence as far as my aged memory recalls.

Crystal palace
We actually won that game 1-0 with a Colin Morris penalty. Beagrie also had a penalty saved. Lowest post-war attendance of 6,647

Yep Boro was the worse, even utd players watching in away end left with 30 mins to go roughly..
We rounded off the Arsenal and Bolton results with a 5-1 defeat at Sunderland. Kids at my school were repeating the following "joke".

Q - What's Sheffield United's phone number?
A - It's 505051.

I don't think any of them made it to Live At The Apollo.

Lots of tremendous entries on here, here’s a few more from my own memory bank.

1-0 away to Yeovil in 2015 - A Tuesday night, we were awful. Pulled over at Gordano on the way home and saw that Clough was more bothered the United fans had booed than about how abject we were.

4-0 away at Stevenage in 2013. This is already on here but wow it was bad. Dani Lopez’s hat trick against us were his only league goals in English football. Earliest I’ve ever left when the fourth went in on the hour. Someone in Stevenage had their outdoor Christmas decs up and sure it was February or March.

4-0 at Gillingham in 2015. I’ve seen us get hammered at Gillingham a few times but this one stands out. Sold out away end and so much hope only for the Gills (John Egan) to bombard Long and McEveley with long throws and corners and make us look a pub side.

3-1 at Southend, bank holiday 2016. Should have been Easter Monday but got moved to a Tuesday night for TV. We were abject (Hammond was rank bad and we had Whiteman at right wing back), but I’ll always remember Adkins quote after the game which still haunts my Dad now. ‘A good performance from our perspective’

1-0 away at Carlisle in 2012. Weir should really have been sacked after this. I remember us playing 4-3-3 and our starting front 3 was McFadzean, Cuvelier and Ironside. Yikes.

2-1 at Port Vale, boxing day 2013 or 14?! - Although we lost and weren’t great this is on here for a different reason. Snow started falling heavily and by the end of the game conditions were bleak. Many roads were closed and after a 3pm kick off we finally got home to Stannington at 2.30am!

0-2 at home to Scunthorpe in 2016. Had to include a home game, last game of the season. Mistakenely thought kick off was at 1 not 12 so we missed the first half. My dad made up for it by making my stay for the lap of ‘honour’ so he could share some thoughts with Adkins, Hammond and Woolford.

Edit - just seen it’s worst performances at Bramall Lane - d’oh!

If you're referring to the game at Forest which broke our winning run in 1991, I was there too and it was Tommy Gaynor who scored both the goals.
Yep that's the one, it was Easter Monday I think. I'm sure that some of the bad performances were due to the players being on the sauce the night before, perhaps holiday seasons were worse. Tracey was hardly mobile at the best of times but he took 2 or 3 breaks running out for the second half back to his goal.

8-0 this season was absolutely ridiculous. I stil can't believe we lost a home game 8 fucking nil

Sunderland 4-0 game was unbelievably embarrassing. Bruce looked at least 100 years old that day.

Stoke 3-0 is the only time I've left a game early up until this season where I've already left before 80 minutes on 2 occasions

With that mind I probably have to go Saturday too. I was staggered how bad we were

Last one I'd go Wolves play off final. Absolutely shit ourselves
I know it's a different post (sorry) but he should have gone after the 8-0, any other club would have shown him the door!!

Bramall lane .
70s we lost to arsenal at home 0_5
Then Bolton a week or two later 0_5
Newcastle was awful and I fear another one coming as we have a weak manager.
We also lost to Middlesbrough 3 years running at the lane.
The worst ever performance I've seen the blades was away at Middlesbrough the 6_0 defeat . Boro had a brilliant side but we had no fight in anyway same as man City 6_0 defeat .
As a club we are traditionally the underdogs but have managers who put fight in the players, we could easily attract 40k home support if any potential buyer sees our loyal support after 100 years of no major success .
If my memory serves me right, after the two 5-0 defeats Arsenal/ Bolton the next match was at Sunderland and we lost 5-0 there as well ffs!!

Back
Top Bottom