Sitting in the home end.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I've been on the " other end " of grounds loads over the years. As mentioned above it was normal back in the sixties

I seem to remember lots of fans coming on our kop but one in particular sticks in my fragile mind, it was Liverpool and there was what is known as a battle royal.

I'm almost certain as a result of this violence the kop had fence put up round pitch perimeter, and the kop itself was like split into segments by white railings. I hope my memory not playing tricks on me as someone has said I can remember being able to walk the ground when 3 sided.

Great post. I often wondered whether the segregation over the years has made the problem much worse
Once the problems kicked off, it was difficult to do otherwise. But you are right that segregation has set in concrete the ‘us v them’ mentality. I have never understood the hatred; it seems to me our common interest (love of football) should outweigh the differences (which particular team we support). Much as I dislike Leeds, I would rather youngsters in Leeds grow up supporting Leeds rather than Liverpool or Real Madrid, depending on who has just won the Champions League. I love sitting with a pint arguing with Wednesday, Leeds, West Ham, etc., fans, but why would I want to fight them? Still can’t get my head round that one.

I seem to remember lots of fans coming on our kop but one in particular sticks in my fragile mind, it was Liverpool and there was what is known as a battle royal.

I'm almost certain as a result of this violence the kop had fence put up round pitch perimeter, and the kop itself was like split into segments by white railings. I hope my memory not playing tricks on me as someone has said I can remember being able to walk the ground when 3 sided.
yeah early 70s often yards of terracing on kop with lines of police down either side of ours and opposition fans sort of no mans land newcastle chelsea man city amongst em then every now and again blades fans would surge as one in to them usually ending up with coppers helmets flying everywhere

Once the problems kicked off, it was difficult to do otherwise. But you are right that segregation has set in concrete the ‘us v them’ mentality. I have never understood the hatred; it seems to me our common interest (love of football) should outweigh the differences (which particular team we support). Much as I dislike Leeds, I would rather youngsters in Leeds grow up supporting Leeds rather than Liverpool or Real Madrid, depending on who has just won the Champions League. I love sitting with a pint arguing with Wednesday, Leeds, West Ham, etc., fans, but why would I want to fight them? Still can’t get my head round that one.
opposition fans automatically went on each others ends from mid 60s onwards we did it at away games and visiting teams did it at the lane

opposition fans automatically went on each others ends from mid 60s onwards we did it at away games and visiting teams did it at the lane
I went regularly to away matches in the late 50s/ early 60s with a group of lads, all of us with scarves, rattles and loud voices, and we usually went behind one goal, often on the Kop (or equivalent), and for years we felt more welcome there than when we moved round at half-time in home matches if Utd were kicking towards the Lane End in the second half. The miserable old gits at the Lane End didn’t like their peace disturbing. Visits included Liverpool, ManU, Middlesbrough, Newcastle, etc., without a problem. The first I recall was at Leeds in 1961, a match I am covering in a couple of weeks in the 60 Years Ago thread. A group of ‘hard’ Leeds lads came over looking for trouble, and the older Leeds supporters told them to bugger off, which solved the problem. I would say it was 1964-ish when things began to change.

and the kop itself was like split into segments by white railings.

Yes you are correct, although from my memory it was only the section above the walkway - but that was where I stood in those days.

Sectioned off with white railings as you mentioned - can specifically remember one particular Saturday, I was in very early and some Newcastle fans came in very early making lots of noise and you tended to get trapped in these pens - didn't last long once the SRA got involved (think it was the SRA at that time not the BBC)

UTB

I went regularly to away matches in the late 50s/ early 60s with a group of lads, all of us with scarves, rattles and loud voices, and we usually went behind one goal, often on the Kop (or equivalent), and for years we felt more welcome there than when we moved round at half-time in home matches if Utd were kicking towards the Lane End in the second half. The miserable old gits at the Lane End didn’t like their peace disturbing. Visits included Liverpool, ManU, Middlesbrough, Newcastle, etc., without a problem. The first I recall was at Leeds in 1961, a match I am covering in a couple of weeks in the 60 Years Ago thread. A group of ‘hard’ Leeds lads came over looking for trouble, and the older Leeds supporters told them to bugger off, which solved the problem. I would say it was 1964-ish when things began to change.
My uncle recalled walking across High Street in the city centre on semi final day in 1956 and he saw a big punch up between Sunderland and Birmingham fans

In case you’re not aware , Upton is the place where Joe Shaw played his football before joining the Blades .

That alone entitles anyone living in that fair village to be proud to be a resident . :)
In case you’re not aware , Upton is the place where Joe Shaw played his football before joining the Blades .

That alone entitles anyone living in that fair village to be proud to be a resident . :)
We stayed in Upton for a few days last year. Lovely little town on the River Severn

You used to be able to walk round by the Pavilion. You couldn't go through the John Street Terrace without paying extra.

My uncle recalled walking across High Street in the city centre on semi final day in 1956 and he saw a big punch up between Sunderland and Birmingham fans
There obviously wasn’t the information around at the time, and I was too young then to read about such things if they were reported. Do you think it was serious violence, or perhaps just goading? I am going entirely on memory of my own experience: I have always been a coward, but felt comfortable standing behind the goal at grounds around the country. It helped that Hodgy often invited a young home fan to join him in goal for the pre-match warm-up. Great PR, but I suspect he did it simply because he was a nice guy.

There obviously wasn’t the information around at the time, and I was too young then to read about such things if they were reported. Do you think it was serious violence, or perhaps just goading? I am going entirely on memory of my own experience: I have always been a coward, but felt comfortable standing behind the goal at grounds around the country. It helped that Hodgy often invited a young home fan to join him in goal for the pre-match warm-up. Great PR, but I suspect he did it simply because he was a nice guy.
I was asking my Uncle about the first football related violence he saw, he said he saw a punch up between Sunderland and Birmingham fans on High Street when he was crossing the road around lunch time. He didnt go into great detail about it. I assume both fans were drinking at pubs before going to the semi final and then something happened which caused the punch up.

Well said Hodgie ,couldnt agree more!
The tribalism which crept onto the terraces in the sixties has taken away a lot of the good banter which I miss greatly .
I remember well a group of us in our late teens early 20's watching a sheffield derby on the kop Wed scored and d the wed fans amongst us scragged me all in good fun. Couldnt happen today.
No aggression just good fun.
We all have friends who are wed fans and good natured banter has gone forever at matches what a shame .

A1DB27A9-8A90-4EF6-88FF-05158B7924EF.jpeg

Everton away last season.Tried to keep a low profile but all the Scousers around me wanted to have a conversation with me about how little they thought of Marco silva .Didn’t realise they had sussed me until mousset 2nd goal and they got up to walk out in frustration and winked to me and said “enjoy you’re’ win lad”

was a ritual in the 60s to walk round to the lane end if united lost the toss and kicked towards the kop first half and yes your right the old fogies which i am one of thesedays didnt like it at all lol

At the 93 semi final at Wembley, a Wednesday fan was sat next to me and he got up and cheered when Waddle scored that free kick. He was told to “sit down pig” very firmly from someone sat behind him.

I was a little more forgiving, not because I was 9, but because he’s my dad. We still laugh about it.

for the record, he kept quiet when Bright scored!

I ended up in the home end at Northampton on 8th April 2017 for an hour, kept my mouth shut, no trouble whatsoever, then Leon Clarke scored the equaliser and I was straight on the pitch celebrating and in the away end before you could say "Johny Fleck is our Scottish hero ... " ;)
Did you start on the hill? We started on the hill and tried blagging our way in after 30 mins and again on about 70 mins with no luck until it got to the 88th min where I didn’t care about a stewards opinion on me entering I was going in no matter what.

You used to be able to walk round by the Pavilion. You couldn't go through the John Street Terrace without paying extra.

Indeed - the 1 gate/turnstile was between the kop corner/John street stand by the exit walkway.

My earliest recollection of costs was that it was 2 shillings for kop entry and 6 pence extra to go from the kop to the terrace standing area. Just for the youngsters - 1 shilling = 12 pence!

UTB

Sadly inevitable but ultimately counter productive. One for the sociologists and psychologists I think

I was once allowed to go onto the JS terrace as our kop was rammed full of Man Utd fans they didn't charge me on that occasion, but I do remember yes.

Yes you are correct, although from my memory it was only the section above the walkway - but that was where I stood in those days.

Sectioned off with white railings as you mentioned - can specifically remember one particular Saturday, I was in very early and some Newcastle fans came in very early making lots of noise and you tended to get trapped in these pens - didn't last long once the SRA got involved (think it was the SRA at that time not the BBC)

UTB
Oh yes the SRA I can recall Newcastle fans coming on kop and they battled for ages, in end coppers took them off as they would not back down.

Back
Top Bottom