Sitting in the home end.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

ShorehamRevolution

Reaction score
I Don’t want this to turn into a “during the 70’s we used to take a firm into their end” kind of thread, but I’m sure the odd post will be inevitable.
I’m wanting to know if you’ve ever had an away fan infront of you at Bramall lane, were they friendly? Did they get sussed out? Did they get thrown out by other blades or stewards?
If an away fan was discreet infront of me and didn’t start showing off it wouldn’t bother me. When I was a kid sat on the John street I remember a Norwich supporting couple probably mid 20’s at the time, no trouble whatsoever but they did get sussed out and a little banter nothing too serious was thrown their way.

A workmate of mine, lifelong Leeds supporter persuaded me to let him come with me to a game. 1992 Brian Gayle og game. Against my better judgement I said yes provided he kept his mouth shut and no colours.
I should have known it was going to end badly when he turned up in a bright yellow jumper. He didn't end up being beaten up, but he certainly didn't keep quiet and was never asked to another game.

I remember years ago, I was only a child at the time, we were playing Chelsea and there was a Chelsea fan sat behind us.

IMO, albeit a childs opinion, I really don't remember him doing much wrong apart from discussing the game with his mate, a Blade, but another fan around us must have took exception to an away supporter being in our stand (south) and began arguing with him and getting a bit lairy. A lot of swearing and a bit of handbags resulted in the Chelsea fan being removed by stewards.

Even to this day I still feel the Chelsea fan was extremely hard done to and the Blades fan behind us was just being an utter c*nt for the sake of it.

I Don’t want this to turn into a “during the 70’s we used to take a firm into their end” kind of thread, but I’m sure the odd post will be inevitable.
I’m wanting to know if you’ve ever had an away fan infront of you at Bramall lane, were they friendly? Did they get sussed out? Did they get thrown out by other blades or stewards?
If an away fan was discreet infront of me and didn’t start showing off it wouldn’t bother me. When I was a kid sat on the John street I remember a Norwich supporting couple probably mid 20’s at the time, no trouble whatsoever but they did get sussed out and a little banter nothing too serious was thrown their way.
12 arsenal fans stood right in the middle of our fans in the 5 - 0 fa cup defeat at the lane in 78 led by the biggest black guy i had ever seen just blended in with our lot till just before kick off when they all chanted arsenal needless to say they were swamped immediatly and led to the lane end

A workmate of mine, lifelong Leeds supporter persuaded me to let him come with me to a game. 1992 Brian Gayle og game. Against my better judgement I said yes provided he kept his mouth shut and no colours.
I should have known it was going to end badly when he turned up in a bright yellow jumper. He didn't end up being beaten up, but he certainly didn't keep quiet and was never asked to another game.

I was born and bread in Sheffield but now live in a little village near Pontefract hence the username.

My lads best mate who's a pig fan goes with my lad if I can't attend for whatever reason and has no issues whatsoever although he's very respectful, plays semi pro, loves football full stop and grew up round here so doesn't have the hatred that proper Sheffielders have towards the other lot as hasn't grown up with the rivalry all the way through school. In fact I'm not quite sure why he supports them as everyone else born and bred round here supports Leeds.

A few years back we had a whole row of Sunderland supporters behind us on the South Stand. All the first half some bloody woman was shouting how much she loved one of their players. Luckily the stewards moved them all at half-time. Even further back, we took a Spurs-supporting mate with us to see us beat them, was it 6-0? We were on the Kop in those days and we had warned him to keep stum as we were expecting a tonking but he actually started to cheer us after the 4th went in.

The Kop a couple of times. Played Huddersfield and went into a two goal lead, Trenton Wiggan.
Udders brought it back to 2-2. Young kid near me was ecstatic. Dad kept quiet. Felt quite pleased for the youngster. Nowt like a good away day.
Against Wigan, div 4. They had just joined the league, couple of their fans were near us but kept quiet. No bothers, I was saying to them how Larry Lloyd had their defence well marshalled. They just wanted to exit quietly.
Morris crossed to Edwards for a 1-0 win.

I was on the kop on 9 March 1971 when United played and lost to Hull City 1-2. It was a real battle of a game and Hull kicked us all over the park. I think Chris a Hilton and Ken Wagstaff both scored. In front of us were a few Hull fans who just kept chanting Waggy Waggy Waggy all the time once they had gone ahead. Of course we all got angry about this and eventually my girlfriend at the time hit one with her handbag. I don’t know who was more surprised the Hull fan or me. Happy days.

Took my old boss with me he was a Birmingham fan, 4-4 draw, (Silent will remember the date), he kept quiet so no problem. Took a lad I worked with when we played Wolves, he didn’t stay quite, it was I think a 3-3 draw, ( Silent help needed) so it got a bit hairy, but soon sorted. Last season against Man Utd, had two of there fans sat just down from me, they never said a word, even when the went 3-2 up

Took a Spurs supporting mate 20 odd years ago and he turned up in a Spurs shirt. Steward asked him to turn it inside out which didn't really hide much but he's a likeable bloke and although we got a couple of "what are you doing here" looks, mainly from kids we had a great day with just enough banter to make it fun. Got to say I was pleased he knew when to shut up and I probably wouldn't do it now but you live and learn.

I was on the kop at Hillsborough for the boxing day disaster, I stayed silent!!

Me & my son were sat with the man city fans in the 06-07 season at the etihad [or whatever it was called]. He was 10 at the time & I told him to say nothing during the game. Anyway halfway through the 2nd half we made a substitute, & he said loudly 'oh good he [I cannot remember who it was] is coming on, at which point I inwardly convulsed & said quickly oh yes he's crap! I did not move but I felt the eyes of all around me looking in our direction!

0-0 draw in the end!

At the risk of going all ‘good old days’, until sometime in the early 1960s it was normal for supporters (as we were called then) to go where they wanted in the ground. It was good fun, and it is a sad reflection on football fans (as we are now) that we cannot be trusted to mingle.

I got tickets & "hosted" mates from West Ham (BLUT), Manchester United & Arsenal (Shoreham) last season and Leeds (South Stand) the season before. Always happy to do it, never any mither. Obvs, expect that to be reciprocated every now & again when Utd go away.

I've been in that situation myself a few times at away games. Sat with the Grimsby fans when we won there 2-0 in about 1996 (Gary Ablett was playing for us and I think Taylor and Walker scored). Twice sat with Chessy fans when we lost 3-2 (and should have been about 6) when Pigdon got sent off, and also when we won 3-0 under Adkins (one of the few games we actually played well that season). Never had any bother, although I've always managed to contain myself.

I had a Millwall fan sat next to me last season when we played WHU,he came to the match with the two fella's who sit to my left on The KOP,he sat to my right,and he was chearing just as much as anyone when we beat his cockerny bretheren.

I was on the kop at Hillsborough for the boxing day disaster, I stayed silent!!

Me & my son were sat with the man city fans in the 06-07 season at the etihad [or whatever it was called]. He was 10 at the time & I told him to say nothing during the game. Anyway halfway through the 2nd half we made a substitute, & he said loudly 'oh good he [I cannot remember who it was] is coming on, at which point I inwardly convulsed & said quickly oh yes he's crap! I did not move but I felt the eyes of all around me looking in our direction!

0-0 draw in the end!
That’s a coincidence, I was on the United end in 79 and I was fairly quiet as well!

It’s all season-ticket holders where we sit but a number of our neighbours had clearly sold their tickets to Man Utd supporters for the home game last season. It has to be said that the infiltrators were good as gold (even kept quiet when they pegged us back) and there wasn’t any bother.

The bit that puzzles me is why a Blade would flog their ticket, especially for such a big game; we were finally back in the Prem, unless you were absolutely desperate for the money why would you do that? To compound it I don’t think I have ever seen us play better football than we did in the first 60 minutes of that game and when McB scored (or rather when VAR couldn’t find a reason to disallow it) there was pandemonium. I would have hated to have missed that.

Took my old boss with me he was a Birmingham fan, 4-4 draw, (Silent will remember the date), he kept quiet so no problem. Took a lad I worked with when we played Wolves, he didn’t stay quite, it was I think a 3-3 draw, ( Silent help needed) so it got a bit hairy, but soon sorted. Last season against Man Utd, had two of there fans sat just down from me, they never said a word, even when the went 3-2 up
Weirdly ,the 3 I have taken have been Birmingham ,Wolves and Atletico Madrid. No problems with any of them as they knew how to behave. the Wolves one was a 4-4 draw ,I took him in an Exec box ,he had previously done the same for me at Molineaux and we won 3-1.

Remember once though 3 West Brom fans sat a few rows in front on JSS and they were lairy ,I had no sympathy when they copped for a few right handers as the stewards took them out.

Never during a senior game but at the youth fa cup semi final there was a Man U fan on the kop has a decent conversation with all around him about the players and the quality of football on display was a decent enough lad to be fair.

Ipswich wankers in the south stand probably early 90’s smashing the old wooden seats about 3 rows behind us. That and Tauricco are the reason I will never like them.

I can remember a few over the years getting a hiding when they cheered.

Back in the early 80's I had a season ticket in what is now called G block on the south stand.

When we played wednesday in 1980 they sold that entire section to Wednesday fans, except for those seats sold as season tickets. Imagine my surprise when I turned up to discover my seat was now in the middle of the away end.

I can report that were generally well behaved throughout and I was not required to punch anyone's light out thankfully for them

I’ve a mate who’s a Watford fan who’s come to lane and sat on kop a few times. No trouble what so ever.

I’ve seen more scrapping with us sens on kop than owt else!

I sat with the Charlton away fans at BDTBL in the cup, some years ago. The queue at the kop was too big and I just thought fuck it.

I celebrated quite a lot when we scored (twice) and expected to get filled in. I didn’t - their fans were far too nice. :)

I had a Leeds fan sat next to me on the kop the day they won the league. Sussed him pretty much straight away and told him that if he behaved, he would be OK. He did but I guess he also understood what I didn't say ;)

In December 1974(or 5) I persuaded my then girlfriend to come and stand on the Kop . She was worried about crowd trouble but as it was the last Saturday before Christmas and we were playing Spurs I assured her it was fine.
All was well until the teams came out, when about 40 Spurs lads started chanting and a mass fight broke out all around us.
Her next match was in 1993 when she (now my wife) took our youngest girl and sat on the Kop, whereupon a fight broke out between Blades !
Sense has prevailed and we now sit quietly in the South Stand.

Went to Leeds (scum) away in probably 1989? and went in the Lowfield road stand along with about 300 BBC (didn't know it at the time when I bought the ticket btw). But the rest is recorded in a certain Mr Cowen's book. I think the song goes something like 'run at home run at home' or something like that. OOOOWH you naughty lads! lol This was before they became tough seat smashers! lol

Think it was late 70's early 80's we played the " monkey hangers" around ten minutes in on the kop an almighty ruck started, as I was pretty small I managed to wriggle close to the epicentre to see a huge, mountain of a fella gotta battered, turns out he was what would now days be called Hartlepool's top lad.
After a while the Blades got bored and left him to recover, police stood and watched.
Just after half time , huge Hartlepool guy struggles to his feet and start chanting Hartlepool, top of his lungs, few that came from Hartlepool on the away end took up the song , but alas their top lad took another kicking then was dragged down to the front of the kop, St. John's loaded him up and took him away.
I did wonder if he survived.

I was on the kop on 9 March 1971 when United played and lost to Hull City 1-2. It was a real battle of a game and Hull kicked us all over the park. I think Chris a Hilton and Ken Wagstaff both scored. In front of us were a few Hull fans who just kept chanting Waggy Waggy Waggy all the time once they had gone ahead. Of course we all got angry about this and eventually my girlfriend at the time hit one with her handbag. I don’t know who was more surprised the Hull fan or me. Happy days.
Chris Simpkin not Chris Chilton

Back
Top Bottom