Should we still be looking

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

originaltrueblade

Reaction score
For yet another keeper. I know it’s only one game the new keeper has had but I fear the worse. On shots he looks like he hasn’t got a clue
We have three days left to get a quality keeper

Johansson

Cooper (I know he’s injured but almost over it) and quality

Hope I’m wrong but do you feel confident with the new keeper ?

Only one game but I was worried by his lack of footwork on the line very much reminded me of Bunn. Fingers crossed he can improve that.

What worried me about this signing was that he had been number 2 for a very long time and absolutely no one was coming in for him.

We aren’t signing another keeper as we are skint so this needs to work out as it seems Wilder has fallen out with Wes.

Last edited:
2 pens, a worldie, one in the bottom corner and one he should've saved. He's worth a bit of a run but I thought he looked poor with his distribution which is the only reason to get rid of Wes.

2 pens, a worldie, one in the bottom corner and one he should've saved. He's worth a bit of a run but I thought he looked poor with his distribution which is the only reason to get rid of Wes.
It definitely wasn’t the only reason to get rid of Wes. It was one of them. He was making a mistake every game.

It definitely wasn’t the only reason to get rid of Wes. It was one of them. He was making a mistake every game.
Was he? He's a decent shot stopper. He should've cleared the lot out at Villa agreed but he's only a car crash with the ball at his feet.

It's way, way too early to start judging him. Yes he looked a little slow and rusty, but much of the criticism is simply down to conceding 5 goals. Conceding 5 on your debut does look pretty terrible, but 4 of them he couldn't do anything about, pretty much any keeper would've conceded 4. The 5th he should've done much better with, but so should a couple of others players.
An average keeper looks really good with a good defence in front of them, that same keeper looks poor when they're constantly being exposed by a defence that's regularly allowing strikers the time and space to have a free shot at goal.

Look at West Ham's first goal against us, it's easy to criticise Wes for getting beaten at the front post, but an opposing player being completely unmarked in front of goal is just dreadful. Same with Welbeck, how the hell was he able to run (fairly slowly) for that distance and get a shot it.

Not sure where the poor with his distribution is coming from, the back 4 seemed much more confident passing it back to him than they did to Wes.

Loved the little chip over their striker to the wing and the one time he was pressured he didn't panic.

A couple of wayward ones but never thought he was gonna get caught on the ball like I do with Wes, strikers chase Wes down every time now because of the mistakes.

Somebody must have looked at this guy several times and come to the conclusion he was worth the money.
So let's give him a run before shooting the poor sod. Five to ten games will tell us.
On a general note I am worried about the tendency to denigrate any keeper we have these days, Long, Ramsdale Wes - all got a load of stick on here.

The one that concerned me more than any other was his positioning and decision making for the first goal, that they had disallowed.

It's way, way too early to start judging him. Yes he looked a little slow and rusty, but much of the criticism is simply down to conceding 5 goals. Conceding 5 on your debut does look pretty terrible, but 4 of them he couldn't do anything about, pretty much any keeper would've conceded 4. The 5th he should've done much better with, but so should a couple of others players.
An average keeper looks really good with a good defence in front of them, that same keeper looks poor when they're constantly being exposed by a defence that's regularly allowing strikers the time and space to have a free shot at goal.

Look at West Ham's first goal against us, it's easy to criticise Wes for getting beaten at the front post, but an opposing player being completely unmarked in front of goal is just dreadful. Same with Welbeck, how the hell was he able to run (fairly slowly) for that distance and get a shot it.
100% this !

Was he? He's a decent shot stopper. He should've cleared the lot out at Villa agreed but he's only a car crash with the ball at his feet.
At his feet
Sweeping
Hands throwing out so bloody slow
Communicating with defenders a mouse shouts louder
Organising defenders free kicks etc
Decision making with defenders when coming out and away from his six yard area see above
That will do for now

At his feet
Sweeping
Hands throwing out so bloody slow
Communicating with defenders a mouse shouts louder
Organising defenders free kicks etc
Decision making with defenders when coming out and away from his six yard area see above
That will do for now
So we're in agreement. A decent shot stopper.

Seems a bit harsh to be judging the fella on his first game.

Strange decision to pick him in the first place if you ask me.

HH

You can have ten superstars on the pitch but if you’ve got a shit GK you win fk all

If it’s right that all three GK’s are out of contract in the summer whether refused or we haven’t offered one, then we definitely need more than one keeper

We're still rolling out Norwood and Osborn in midfield, and we're talking about getting another GK???
That is the problem with recruiting. Let in too many goals...get a new keeper and cb. Don't score many goals, get a striker. Well how about where these goals come from, poor midfield not closing down, back tracking or giving the ball away. Not scoring enough, how about not create the chances from midfield to get goals. People,WE NEED 2 OR 3 MIDFIELD PLAYERS IN NOT GK OR CB.

That is the problem with recruiting. Let in too many goals...get a new keeper and cb. Don't score many goals, get a striker. Well how about where these goals come from, poor midfield not closing down, back tracking or giving the ball away. Not scoring enough, how about not create the chances from midfield to get goals. People,WE NEED 2 OR 3 MIDFIELD PLAYERS IN NOT GK OR CB.
Been saying this since our first season in the PL all those years back! The best teams now evolve their midfields from year to year, we've done the exact opposite and now have a midfield that struggled 3 seasons ago!!

Other than Doyle, our entire approach to midfield and midfielder development has been atrocious. To the point where we have more LBs than we do midfielders!

The LB problem was forced on us due to injuries.
The main problem we have had is our inability to either tie players to new contracts or move them on, meaning that assett value is being reduced and player recruitment is forced upon us rather than planned

Back
Top Bottom