Sheffield the Home of football

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Think only reason we have the football museum here is because when it was in Preston it’s original location, no one went.

There's an easy way for people posting on and reading this thread to guarantee the preservation of the football heritage of Sheffield. To guarantee the financial future and security of (for example) the oldest club in the world (Sheffield FC) and the oldest ground in the world (Sandygate). Go to the home games, pay through the turnstile, buy a raffle ticket, buy a programme, get some ale from the 1860 Bar, a Pasty from Anne.

I mention it in that way as I fear there's some sort of dreamy nostalgia about this - Sheffield Home Of Football - nonsense. There's no secret about how you fund and preserve the legacy and heritage of football clubs and grounds.

Get to the games. See you up at Sandygate.

Some of the views in here show exactly why Sheffield often falls behind with these things. It's always the grumpiest view possible from its citizens.

At the end of the day Sheffield drew up the first set of proper rules. Obviously they differ from the rules now as it was over 150 years ago. Even if you can't get on board with that part, we have the first ever football CLUB and GROUND. If that doesn't warrant some form of recognition and tourism marketing at the very least, then I don't know what does.

Anyway, someone's giving it a go...

Some of the views in here show exactly why Sheffield often falls behind with these things. It's always the grumpiest view possible from its citizens.

At the end of the day Sheffield drew up the first set of proper rules. Obviously they differ from the rules now as it was over 150 years ago. Even if you can't get on board with that part, we have the first ever football CLUB and GROUND. If that doesn't warrant some form of recognition and tourism marketing at the very least, then I don't know what does.

Hopefully this does get off the ground, and it does seem to be well on the way. The plan is for the museum to be a sister museum to the one in Manchester, which is the best we can hope for given Manchester's place in modern football and the amount of tourism they can generate.

The steel man at the site of the old Tinsley towers should also represent football in some way in my opinion. The obvious thing would be for him to have a ball under his arm/foot. That way it would recognise Sheffield's two greatest exports, steel and football. Millions would see it whilst driving right past the city on a busy stretch of motorway, ensuring it's no longer a secret. Unfortunately the steel man is yet another Sheffield project that can't seem to get anywhere.

There's an easy way for people posting on and reading this thread to guarantee the preservation of the football heritage of Sheffield. To guarantee the financial future and security of (for example) the oldest club in the world (Sheffield FC) and the oldest ground in the world (Sandygate). Go to the home games, pay through the turnstile, buy a raffle ticket, buy a programme, get some ale from the 1860 Bar, a Pasty from Anne.

I mention it in that way as I fear there's some sort of dreamy nostalgia about this - Sheffield Home Of Football - nonsense. There's no secret about how you fund and preserve the legacy and heritage of football clubs and grounds.

Get to the games. See you up at Sandygate.
The heritage of our football has already been stolen by Manchester, alongside our name. The product of football dominates the world like a religion, yet comparatively few globally know we exist. The Football product today is measured by social media, and how many global followers clubs can attract. ManUre have 36.5 million twitter followers - we have 559000. https://www.planetfootball.com/quic...-every-club-twitter-followers-ranking-man-utd
Yet it is all down to our ancestors who made this happen, and got on wi it.
Having said that, I did used to live a mile from Sandygate in the 70s, went twice - a set of ignorant gobshites surrounded me, not enjoyable, so never again. Preferred to focus on our journeys to the 4th division

Arsenal v Sheffield in 1927 was it ?

Global web icon
Medium
https://medium.com/whatahowler/the-first-live-radio-football-broadcast...

The first live radio football broadcast | by Brian Seal

Web22 Jan 2017 · On 22 January 1927, Arsenal and Sheffield United played the first football match to be broadcast live via radio. The BBC had received a license to broadcast live …
There was a film, set I think during WW2 (not too sure) where in the background a radio was on and the announcer was reading out the footy results, one of them was Arsenal v Sheffield United, could have been an FA cup game.

What an amazing coincidence that someone would start this topic and then someone else would have a recent link to the fact things are indeed happening... 🤣

But regardless.. this is a good thing! I look forward to having a gander.

Not the Harrogate team that are in League 2 (Harrogate Town) but another bit of football history we were involved in although not sure how high this is in the rankings. The first ever game played under floodlights at Harrogate Railway (now in North Counties East) was against us in a pre-season friendly in 1991

Not the Harrogate team that are in League 2 (Harrogate Town) but another bit of football history we were involved in although not sure how high this is in the rankings. The first ever game played under floodlights at Harrogate Railway (now in North Counties East) was against us in a pre-season friendly in 1991
Let me correct you there 🤓. That was not a pre-season friendly. It was played in March 1991, with the 1990/91 season still got a few months to run. 🤓

I don’t see how you can have a worthwhile football museum without the support from the powers that be in the game. Plus 2 football museums 30 miles apart would be overkill.

The other problem is Sheffield’s claim to have “invented” football is like each pub that claims to be the oldest in the world. It’s only part of the story. While the Sheffield Rules were established here, football had been played for 100s of years previously.

A small museum dedicated to football in Sheffield would be good though. Maybe somewhere like one of the buildings on Norfolk Row where SUFC were formed.
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14775085.2022.2094993

Proper knowledge! I still have that in the memory bank if it every came up in a pub Quiz strangely still waiting
Don't forget to keep another historical fact under your hat for the tie breaker...

That was not the only set of floodlights we opened that season.

Screenshot_20230916_001024_Chrome.jpg

Behave, there were thousands upon thousands of sports clubs in existence before Needy & Pleady. Cricket clubs and kicky ball clubs (now called other codes) aplenty. N&PFC just copied those. For instance, Melbourne Football Club.

Melbourne FC were not playing the same rules that SUFC play today. Neither were Sheffield FC.
In fairness - the 2021 academic paper looking at a sport’s cultural heritage does address this

“The 30 January 1867 edition of Sporting Life stated that: ‘It may not be generally known that Sheffield holds, or ought to hold, a very prominent position in the football world’. This lack of visibility is still valid in that it does not attract the attention that Cooperstown, St Andrew’s and Twickenham, etc. hold for their various sports in the public consciousness. However, this paper has presented evidence for its authenticity and acknowledgement as the original cultural epicentre and home of football using a range of cultural heritage dimensions. In addition, a number of authors have affirmed that it was the first football culture and FIFA (Citation2019) have described it as ‘football’s first city’. No one place or institution invented football and, numerous countries had their own proto-football games. Moreover, the centre of gravity of football has changed over time from Sheffield to Lancashire to Glasgow and is now, arguably, Zürich. However, its home based on the cultural indicators would appear to be Sheffield.”

In fairness - the 2021 academic paper looking at a sport’s cultural heritage does address this

“The 30 January 1867 edition of Sporting Life stated that: ‘It may not be generally known that Sheffield holds, or ought to hold, a very prominent position in the football world’. This lack of visibility is still valid in that it does not attract the attention that Cooperstown, St Andrew’s and Twickenham, etc. hold for their various sports in the public consciousness. However, this paper has presented evidence for its authenticity and acknowledgement as the original cultural epicentre and home of football using a range of cultural heritage dimensions. In addition, a number of authors have affirmed that it was the first football culture and FIFA (Citation2019) have described it as ‘football’s first city’. No one place or institution invented football and, numerous countries had their own proto-football games. Moreover, the centre of gravity of football has changed over time from Sheffield to Lancashire to Glasgow and is now, arguably, Zürich. However, its home based on the cultural indicators would appear to be Sheffield.”
Coincidentally, (Glasgow is mentioned) I'm still essentially on my way back from Scotland v England at Hampden Park. We caught a game in the North Of Scotland Cup and did some football tourism in Glasgow (Flesher's Haugh & Cathkin Park). The Scottish claim is adamant that they (not Sheffield, not anywhere else) invented the game of football as we know it today. Because the Scotch Professors were the first players to pass and move the ball, with their feet, in the way the game is mainly played today.

Sheffield's claim is based on one "idea" of invention. The Glasgow claim is based on a different idea of invention. I'm not disputing these first club, first ground claims. I just have a bit of an issue with this big, misty one eyed jump to these Home Of Football claims.

Football's heritage is broad. Different developments at different times in different locations. People claiming other cities have "stolen Sheffield's heritage" .... Jesus....

Coincidentally, (Glasgow is mentioned) I'm still essentially on my way back from Scotland v England at Hampden Park. We caught a game in the North Of Scotland Cup and did some football tourism in Glasgow (Flesher's Haugh & Cathkin Park). The Scottish claim is adamant that they (not Sheffield, not anywhere else) invented the game of football as we know it today. Because the Scotch Professors were the first players to pass and move the ball, with their feet, in the way the game is mainly played today.

Sheffield's claim is based on one "idea" of invention. The Glasgow claim is based on a different idea of invention. I'm not disputing these first club, first ground claims. I just have a bit of an issue with this big, misty one eyed jump to these Home Of Football claims.

Football's heritage is broad. Different developments at different times in different locations. People claiming other cities have "stolen Sheffield's heritage" .... Jesus....
In principle I agree, I think Sheffield is certainly in the conversation and probably the strongest claim for the iteration the modern game is based on.

In principle I agree, I think Sheffield is certainly in the conversation and probably the strongest claim for the iteration the modern game is based on.
I don't think I'm at odds with anyone. Sheffield (and more accurately people from Sheffield) should celebrate what the area did, definitely, do for the heritage of the game. And, acknowledge and encourage that other geographic areas also made important contributions to the games heritage.

Instead, it sometimes descends into...

We're the only true home of football that matters. Nowhere else has any sort of claim to heritage. And any city that says they did something for the game is stealing off Sheffield.

As an exiled blade living in Manchester and it makes my piss boil that the lane has no formal recognition of what transpired here years ago. Living here I get constant shit about Citeh this Uuuunighted that . No fucker has ever heard about this outside Sheffield. Was in the Railway pre Everton with a mate who was also ranting . It’s like the city of Sheffield wants to wipe history. Wankers

Agree, Sheffield, it’s city council and the wider footballing world have consistently failed to acknowledge or promote the role the city played in the development of football.

It’s a monstrous travesty that both the Adelphi & the Plough public house at sandygate - which incidentally is where a version of the rules were written are no longer standing.

What should have been the City’s USP has been criminally overlooked.

I don't think I'm at odds with anyone. Sheffield (and more accurately people from Sheffield) should celebrate what the area did, definitely, do for the heritage of the game. And, acknowledge and encourage that other geographic areas also made important contributions to the games heritage.

Instead, it sometimes descends into...

We're the only true home of football that matters. Nowhere else has any sort of claim to heritage. And any city that says they did something for the game is stealing off Sheffield.
Yeah I can see that. I wonder if it’s an over correction in reaction to the council seemingly ignoring a tourism golden egg?

Anyone that’s been to Barcelona will know how they hold the 1992 Olympics in such high regard. They credit it will saving the city. You can still tour the stadium, see the flags on lampposts etc. It’s completely at odds with how Sheffield displays its relationship with football. Maybe a few of us should get together and think about ideas?

Back
Top Bottom