Sheffield the Home of football

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

tincan

Reaction score
A great YouTube series from a Lancastrian about the home of football. It is truly a travesty that Bramall Lane and Sheffield have not been able to capitalise on the rules being written at the Adelphi hotel nor the historic East Bank that is commemorated by a B&Q car park. Its arguably Sheffield’s greatest ever export. Instead Manchester has their "national football museum", with no reference to its origins.

A great YouTube series from a Lancastrian about the home of football. It is truly a travesty that Bramall Lane and Sheffield have not been able to capitalise on the rules being written at the Adelphi hotel nor the historic East Bank that has is commemorated by a B&Q car park. Its arguably Sheffield’s greatest ever export. Instead Manchester has their "national football museum", with no reference to its origins.

The Manchester football museum is terrible. Was there this summer and surprised how there wasn’t a single mention of Sheffields part in the history of football

All these records should be signs 10ft tall on a route to Bramall lane/ Sandygate informing all our visitors that this city created the sport as it is today. Indeed if HRH buys back Eastbank and sites a training facility/hotel/ Big museum , maybe our prospective Saudi owners will take more of an interest!

Wasn't there talk of some sort of football statue replacing the tinsley towers at one point? A Sheffield version of the angel of the north celebrating football would have to be funded by a rich individual but that's what I would do if I had a few billion burning a hole in my pocket!

Wasn't there talk of some sort of football statue replacing the tinsley towers at one point? A Sheffield version of the angel of the north celebrating football would have to be funded by a rich individual but that's what I would do if I had a few billion burning a hole in my pocket!
They were talking of a statue of Arthur Warburton to stand there at one point.

I believe that Sheffield should have a football museum. Sheffield FC should be encouraged and assisted to return to the city at Norton as soon as possible.

The original site of the National Football Museum was in Preston - a nod (I believe) to the Invincibles. I would imagine that the footfall to Preston was disappointing and so due to commercial reasons it was decided to move it to Manchester.

Thousands of football fans arrive in Manchester every weekend. With an international airport Manchester has far more visitors that only London can compete with.

I doubt we would be able to persuade the decision makers to move the museum to Sheffield. That doesn't mean to say we couldn't have our own museum.

Maybe 'The International Museum of Football'? The Real Story.

If the likes of Sheffield forgemasters had built a similar sized statue of the Youdan cup - the worlds first cup competition - at Tinsley promoting both themselves. the sport and the regions historic status, the costs would comfortably pay for themselves

I am afraid that Sheff city council have failed on this subject miserably over the years, saddens me to say that.
They can't think past their collective arsholes.
It does not matter which party has or collective parties are in charge of Sheffield.
They can and will not think down to the level of the people working in tough times paying their wages, esp now.

We are a fine city, proud city, historic city...
Thing is they are creating a political situation along with many other local councils (be it Tory, lab, libs, greens etc, coalition etc) that might suprise all political parties at a national level, for the worst.

I really hope I am for the "FFS" wrong.

I believe that Sheffield should have a football museum. Sheffield FC should be encouraged and assisted to return to the city at Norton as soon as possible.

The original site of the National Football Museum was in Preston - a nod (I believe) to the Invincibles. I would imagine that the footfall to Preston was disappointing and so due to commercial reasons it was decided to move it to Manchester.

Thousands of football fans arrive in Manchester every weekend. With an international airport Manchester has far more visitors that only London can compete with.

I doubt we would be able to persuade the decision makers to move the museum to Sheffield. That doesn't mean to say we couldn't have our own museum.

It would be wrong if taxpayer money was used to help Sheffield FC. And an insult to the other, better financially managed clubs in the area. Handsworth, Hallam, Swallownest, Dronfield, etc. Sheffield have tried for too long to exploit the - we're the oldest club send us money - income stream. While other local clubs have invested properly and developed more diverse and stable revenue and funding models.

It would be wrong if taxpayer money was used to help Sheffield FC. And an insult to the other, better financially managed clubs in the area. Handsworth, Hallam, Swallownest, Dronfield, etc. Sheffield have tried for too long to exploit the - we're the oldest club send us money - income stream. While other local clubs have invested properly and developed more diverse and stable revenue and funding models.

Agreed. However, given that every football club owes it's existence to Sheffield F.C. the football hierarchy, be that UEFA, FIFA or a combination of both should ensure it's financial security. Unfair on the others mentioned? Not really, in this case first is everything.

Agreed. However, given that every football club owes it's existence to Sheffield F.C. the football hierarchy, be that UEFA, FIFA or a combination of both should ensure it's financial security. Unfair on the others mentioned? Not really, in this case first is everything.
Of course, how stupid of me, if Sheffield had not come up with the idea of forming a football club, no one, no other person, nada, no one could have subsequently had the idea. In what fucking universe does every subsequent club owe it's existence to Needy And Pleady FC. Absolute tosh. Up The Countrymen

Of course, how stupid of me, if Sheffield had not come up with the idea of forming a football club, no one, no other person, nada, no one could have subsequently had the idea. In what fucking universe does every subsequent club owe it's existence to Needy And Pleady FC. Absolute tosh. Up The Countrymen

But they did. Fact!

All subsequent clubs copied what they did, even Hallam. Many might have had the idea, but Sheffield were the first to act.

But they did. Fact!

All subsequent clubs copied what they did, even Hallam. Many might have had the idea, but Sheffield were the first to act.
Behave, there were thousands upon thousands of sports clubs in existence before Needy & Pleady. Cricket clubs and kicky ball clubs (now called other codes) aplenty. N&PFC just copied those. For instance, Melbourne Football Club.

Melbourne FC were not playing the same rules that SUFC play today. Neither were Sheffield FC.

Behave, there were thousands upon thousands of sports clubs in existence before Needy & Pleady. Cricket clubs and kicky ball clubs (now called other codes) aplenty. N&PFC just copied those.

Lots of sports clubs of various sorts and codes, but a first formed to play the game under the rules of the game we now call association football. You might not like the way they are run or how they do things but they are the first. You may not see that as of any import, and that market forces dictate their survival and the heritage means nothing. But they were still the first.

I don’t see how you can have a worthwhile football museum without the support from the powers that be in the game. Plus 2 football museums 30 miles apart would be overkill.

The other problem is Sheffield’s claim to have “invented” football is like each pub that claims to be the oldest in the world. It’s only part of the story. While the Sheffield Rules were established here, football had been played for 100s of years previously.

A small museum dedicated to football in Sheffield would be good though. Maybe somewhere like one of the buildings on Norfolk Row where SUFC were formed.

Behave, there were thousands upon thousands of sports clubs in existence before Needy & Pleady. Cricket clubs and kicky ball clubs (now called other codes) aplenty. N&PFC just copied those. For instance, Melbourne Football Club.

Melbourne FC were not playing the same rules that SUFC play today. Neither were Sheffield FC.
Can’t get a pint down at Needy and Pleady either.

Lots of sports clubs of various sorts and codes, but a first formed to play the game under the rules of the game we now call association football. You might not like the way they are run or how they do things but they are the first. You may not see that as of any import, and that market forces dictate their survival and the heritage means nothing. But they were still the first.
We're at cross purposes. I'm not disputing they were "the first". They're rightly proud of that. I'm just saying my council tax should not be used to fund their ground. Not after they've missed opportunity after opportunity to keep up financially with other "second, third & fourth" local clubs. It's wearing to listen to their pleading year after year.

We're at cross purposes. I'm not disputing they were "the first". They're rightly proud of that. I'm just saying my council tax should not be used to fund their ground. Not after they've missed opportunity after opportunity to keep up financially with other "second, third & fourth" local clubs. It's wearing to listen to their pleading year after year.

We are, I actually agreed to no council tax. However, ignoring proximity, if as a football "first" the heritage is worth protecting/preserving then football should offer the financial support. If not, they're on their own.

We are, I actually agreed to no council tax. However, ignoring proximity, if as a football "first" the heritage is worth protecting/preserving then football should offer the financial support. If not, they're on their own.
But, what is there to preserve. Sheffield FC are a nomadic club, who don't play in Sheffield. There's nothing physical to preserve. No heritage in that physical sense. UEFA buying them a ground is not preserving anything historical.
If they actually owned a shit hole of a ground, that needed repairs, because they've pissed the money on a thousand mad ideas, then UEFA could bale them out I suppose. You know, if we want to reward failure.

Whilst Sheffield has a strong claim to fame as having the first football club and football ground , the idea that the game as we know it is essentially based on the Sheffield Rules of 1858 is something of a myth and one which is perpetuated to some extent by the video above .

If you look closely at the very brief snapshot it gives of those rules , you will see that the use of the hands both against opponents and for the purpose of knocking and pushing the ball and even catching it in certain circumstances are all permitted .

The fact that none of these practices are allowed in the game as we know it is one that sets it apart from other variations of the sport , both at the time and subsequently .

In this respect and whilst it pains me to say it , the London Rules of 1863 have much more relevance to those which ultimately became the basis of the game as it has been played for the last 100 + years .

Back
Top Bottom