Seemingly random flag at Saturday’s game…

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Mystery officially solved, by the way, if anyone is still interested: I asked the same question over on the Go Ahead forum, and apparently, it all started when a group of Blades visited one of their games and struck up a friendship with a few of the locals. The two groups have stayed in touch ever since, and they've been travelling to at least one game of the other club every season. Football is brilliant.

They also added that they've actually got a bigger thing going on with Luton Town, with several Hatters having season tickets at Go Ahead. Make of that what you will 🤷‍♂️

Mystery officially solved, by the way, if anyone is still interested: I asked the same question over on the Go Ahead forum, and apparently, it all started when a group of Blades visited one of their games and struck up a friendship with a few of the locals. The two groups have stayed in touch ever since, and they've been travelling to at least one game of the other club every season. Football is brilliant.

They also added that they've actually got a bigger thing going on with Luton Town, with several Hatters having season tickets at Go Ahead. Make of that what you will 🤷‍♂️
Slags.

My mate is obsessed with Italian football and I’ve spotted that when watching games with him. Pretty sure it’s something to do with that lot across the other side though 😒
Probably something to do with this lovely chap. Wednesday hero I believe.

Paolo-Di-Canio-008.jpg

Wednesday also have a thing with Fiorentina, who in Italy, are known as having an egotistical and over-confident fan base, living off past successes of the club and the city. So it's no shock to see why they struck up a friendship.

I remember a few Utrecht lads in town with Blades before we played the pigs in the 2-2 draw at the Lane.... Seemed sound enough... Just loved the English Hoolie scene and wanted to take in a Sheffield Derby. This kind of fan touristy thing is very popular both here and abroad.... Take the pigs next game.... 10000 tourists turning up for that fucker.... 😂 😂
If it's the same one I was talking to in the Penny one pre match a few years ago, he's a bit of a psycho. All he wanted to talk about was the BBC and did I have any stories about them 🤷🏼‍♂️

I've seen a few VFL Bochum stickers dotted around the area from time to time. Probably the result of Bochum being Sheffield's twin city.

Call it fancy or modern, but I quite like us having these little friendships with other clubs around the continent, and I sort of wish they were more developed.

I only want the rest of England to hate us.

I'd have liked us to have leant more into the Fenerbahce thing.
Gone and played a game over there, maybe traded some players (where feasible), sold their merch in our store and vise versa, whatever works.

I'd have liked us to have leant more into the Fenerbahce thing.
Gone and played a game over there, maybe traded some players (where feasible), sold their merch in our store and vise versa, whatever works.

Yeah, it sort of fizzled out when Selahattin Baki departed.

Didn't help that their fans set fire to the Bramall Lane end, or that the Kop responded by chanting "You dirty Turkish bastards" at them either.

Even so, we still get plenty of Fener fans being really nice to us on Twitter, so maybe the friendship is still salvageable.

Beerschot seems like an obvious one for us - isn’t it in one of the major cities? Would be a fantastic piss up!

Beerschot seems like an obvious one for us - isn’t it in one of the major cities? Would be a fantastic piss up!
They don't like us, they see us as the teacher's pet. Prince gives us everything and they get nothing, at least thats what they think.

I recall stewards asking them to take it down at some point, that's basically right in front of my seat (I'm just over the right shoulder of the guy standing up in the red/black coat)

Always love these weird things, was funny when watching Marine the day of the semi final seeing ultras stickers from St Pauli, Atherton Collieries and Kidderminster Harriers all in the same lav
The bogs in the Rutland arms are covered in St Pauli stickers.

One for afficionados of obscure European clubs, this: amid all the excitement of Saturday's game, I spotted this flag on the upper tier, referring to occasional Eredivisie botherers Go Ahead Eagles of Deventer, The Netherlands. I have actually spotted and spoken to a few Dutch tourists lingering around Bramall Lane on matchdays before, but the fact that someone went to the effort of having a flag made suggests that there is something more official going on.

Thing is, I cannot fathom what on earth the connection might be between the two clubs. We play in red and white, they play in red and yellow, I don't think the two clubs have ever played each other in any kind of friendly, there's only one player I can find who's played for both clubs (Len de Goey -- well before my time, but not particularly a club legend here or at Go Ahead as far as I know) and there's no particular link between Sheffield and Deventer as cities...

So, is anyone able to shed some light on this? 🤔

View attachment 159657
They've been to a few games, rember meeting them on the kop they follow both teams and get to the blades when they can

GCB in Italian -- you fill up my senses, like a patate fritte calzone doused in finest olive oil?
Ooh no… you’d not get away with that. My Saturday night treat in Iraq used to be a chip butty… or as the Italians I worked with called it a “French fry sandwich”

Turns out it was worse than putting chicken in pasta, pineapple on pizza and a cappuccino after 11am…

Dutch Blade - Anything to do with you?
Very late reply apologies (laptop got broken), but no unfortunately I was not there haha. I do know that Sheffield United gained some popularity in the Netherlands the last years, but never knew GAE fans are actively having a friendship connection with us.

Back
Top Bottom