Seemingly random flag at Saturday’s game…

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

VFL also got a more formal friendship with Leicester.

Apart from Fener, we’ve obviously got a very strong friendship with St Pats in Dublin with plenty of them travelling over to the Lane and away days regularly.

Does the St Pats thing still happen then? I know it was pretty strong before that fella sadly passed on. Chris was his name, well known Blade, but his second name escapes me.

I'm a Sheffield native living in Rotterdam, about a mile from the Feyenoord stadium. One of my neighbours told me that the link between Feyenoord and Sunderland was to do with the number of dockers who would travel over to work in the docks in Rotterdam in the 50s and 60s. Dunno if he was winding me up but it kind of made sense.

Not sure of any link between Deventer and Sheffield though.

Yeah I think I heard there was some sort of maritime connection somewhere, it's probably correct.

Does the St Pats thing still happen then? I know it was pretty strong before that fella sadly passed on. Chris was his name, well known Blade, but his second name escapes me.

Chris Booth?

Yes, group of younger lads travel over a lot from Dublin, particularly London away days - 30 were over for Wembley. Varies in numbers and a few Blades have been over there.

I know for certain that a group of Italians come to The Lane at least once a season. One of the group is English but not from Sheffield and was converted into becoming a Blade by an acquaintance. They all live, I believe somewhere around the Italian lakes and meet in a local bar to watch United games on tv. They also serenade the locals with the GCB, sung in Italian.
GCB in Italian -- you fill up my senses, like a patate fritte calzone doused in finest olive oil?

GCB in Italian -- you fill up my senses, like a patate fritte calzone doused in finest olive oil?

Best mate is from North Italy and he enthusiastically sent me a picture of some Yorkshire puddings hes picked up from M&S, filled them with mini mozzerella balls, Mini San Marzanos and some Basil before baking them. loves it so much he does has it once a week now

A group of Utrecht fans were over for the Cardiff game to watch us

There were about 10 what I thought to be German lads in the BLUT for the Cardiff game, but could conceivably have been Dutch. All with Blades kits on.

I remember a few Utrecht lads in town with Blades before we played the pigs in the 2-2 draw at the Lane.... Seemed sound enough... Just loved the English Hoolie scene and wanted to take in a Sheffield Derby. This kind of fan touristy thing is very popular both here and abroad.... Take the pigs next game.... 10000 tourists turning up for that fucker.... 😂 😂

Obviously quite a common sight then! Travelling to see English or German football has always been popular in Belgium and the Netherlands -- understandable when your local Saturday afternoon entertainment in the top flight is Zulte Waregem-OH Leuven or RKC Waalwijk-Fortuna Sittard -- but it's really good to see it filtering down to clubs of our size rather than just the Manchester/Liverpool/London ones.

The two Dutch lads I spoke to at the Wigan game were actually in the club shop, buying home, away and third kits -- bringing in some much needed cash too 🙌

I recall stewards asking them to take it down at some point, that's basically right in front of my seat (I'm just over the right shoulder of the guy standing up in the red/black coat)

Always love these weird things, was funny when watching Marine the day of the semi final seeing ultras stickers from St Pauli, Atherton Collieries and Kidderminster Harriers all in the same lav

I know for certain that a group of Italians come to The Lane at least once a season. One of the group is English but not from Sheffield and was converted into becoming a Blade by an acquaintance. They all live, I believe somewhere around the Italian lakes and meet in a local bar to watch United games on tv. They also serenade the locals with the GCB, sung in Italian.
Cesena fans? Met a group of them in the Crown on London Rd when we played Millwall a few years back.

Saw a Falkirk and Blades flag on Twitter a few days ago.

Remember seeing an Atalanta/Blades sticker on a train to London a few years ago. Not sure if there’s any link or if someone just supports both.

I've seen a few VFL Bochum stickers dotted around the area from time to time. Probably the result of Bochum being Sheffield's twin city.

Call it fancy or modern, but I quite like us having these little friendships with other clubs around the continent, and I sort of wish they were more developed.

I only want the rest of England to hate us.
Plus certain places in Wales…

I remember a few Utrecht lads in town with Blades before we played the pigs in the 2-2 draw at the Lane.... Seemed sound enough... Just loved the English Hoolie scene and wanted to take in a Sheffield Derby. This kind of fan touristy thing is very popular both here and abroad.... Take the pigs next game.... 10000 tourists turning up for that fucker.... 😂 😂
9900 are supporters of some part time Luxembourg team though.

Did you go to watch FC Honka whilst there?

There's not much round my way but due to family ties its KuPS for me.
I studied in Jyväskylä so the local team would've been JJK, but never went to any matches. Living in Espoo now but still haven't been to see Honka. I must admit that Finnish footy doesn't really do it for me.

After PNE game they were two Dutch fellas talking to us in fannies who'd been to game. Ajax and a Feyenoord fan.

I imagine we’re a decent option for a weekend away. Plenty of folks on here will have been to games abroad (not always the obvious clubs either). As much as people like to slag Sheffield off, it’d be a good trip with a group of mates, on the beer. You could always fit in a visit to one of the Manchester clubs, before flying home, as one of them usually plays on the Sunday.

I studied in Jyväskylä so the local team would've been JJK, but never went to any matches. Living in Espoo now but still haven't been to see Honka. I must admit that Finnish footy doesn't really do it for me.
It could be better but if you want to watch football in person its either do that or catch a Finnair flight back every time United are playing,

Now my brain in merging 'Greasy Chip Butty' and 'Just one Cornetto' sung by the Go compare guy....argh! Make it stop!

Sorted out tickets for some overseas fans and they always reciprocate with home tickets. Sheffield is a decent run from Manchester Airport and the beer is plentiful and relatively cheap!

I tried managing a Finnish side in Footy Manager. I thought it'd be cool to dominate Europe with a side from a village 200 miles inside the Arctic Circle with a population of 26.

Turned out the only players who'd relocate were either crap or had stats that would embarrass your average walrus.

I'm managing in NW Iceland now and have Anderlecht in the Champions League next game.

My mate is obsessed with Italian football and I’ve spotted that when watching games with him. Pretty sure it’s something to do with that lot across the other side though 😒
I reckon it’s more likely to be in reverence to Sheffield FC, rather than United or Wendy

One for afficionados of obscure European clubs, this: amid all the excitement of Saturday's game, I spotted this flag on the upper tier, referring to occasional Eredivisie botherers Go Ahead Eagles of Deventer, The Netherlands. I have actually spotted and spoken to a few Dutch tourists lingering around Bramall Lane on matchdays before, but the fact that someone went to the effort of having a flag made suggests that there is something more official going on.

Thing is, I cannot fathom what on earth the connection might be between the two clubs. We play in red and white, they play in red and yellow, I don't think the two clubs have ever played each other in any kind of friendly, there's only one player I can find who's played for both clubs (Len de Goey -- well before my time, but not particularly a club legend here or at Go Ahead as far as I know) and there's no particular link between Sheffield and Deventer as cities...

So, is anyone able to shed some light on this? 🤔

View attachment 159657
I’m in that picture :cool:

I imagine we’re a decent option for a weekend away. Plenty of folks on here will have been to games abroad (not always the obvious clubs either). As much as people like to slag Sheffield off, it’d be a good trip with a group of mates, on the beer. You could always fit in a visit to one of the Manchester clubs, before flying home, as one of them usually plays on the Sunday.
Exactly that, the larger group of Dutch tourists I spoke to a while ago told me they'd come over for a game by one of the Manchester clubs, and that they decided to fit us in over the same weekend. We're only an hour from Manchester airport, and an hour and a half or so from the Hull-Rotterdam ferry, so pretty easy to get to!

The two lads in the club shop at the Wigan game said they'd come over to see us, the Leicester game the next day -- and after a quick, awkward glance at one another to check whether they should say this out loud, they admitted they were also doing the Wednesday game on Easter Monday 🤨

Back
Top Bottom