Second best by a stretch today?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The only time we looked dynamic was the break in the first half for McG's 1-on-1. Lots of quick first time passing. We take too many touches. We need to put crosses in first time and take shots on the bounce. Baldock needs to be told to just bloody hit it.

A pretty even game but I thought we shaded it and made the better chances. With more clinical finishing we could’ve quite easily won the game. Really can’t see how people are saying we were outplayed.

Everyone is mental. It was an even game. We played some really good stuff and lost to a moment of individual brilliance following a basic error. They weren't levels above us and a draw would have been fair. Saying that, we have to start taking chances.

All the woe is me, we are shit, picked the wrong team, much worse than them, hoofed it bollocks is exactly that. Bollocks.
thats bollocks . We need to win these home games or we will be relagated.

My biggest frustration at the moment is the flat 3 midfield. If we aren’t going to start with Freeman or McGoldrick in the “Duffy role” against Southampton at home, when are we going to?

Wilder said before the season we wouldn’t change how we play this season, well isn’t a flat 3 midfield a change in how we played last season?

I expected us to play with a number 10 today and I think it's holding us back playing a flat 3. I can't get my head round why Wilder hasn't done it yet and am starting to wonder of its just to shoehorn Lundstram in? It made no sense today.

thats bollocks . We need to win these home games or we will be relagated.

That will be the easiest home game of the season. No other team will be so shabby and give us so many chances through their mistakes. Baldock was given so much space first half.

No one “deserves” a result you get what you fucking earn.

A pretty even game but I thought we shaded it and made the better chances. With more clinical finishing we could’ve quite easily won the game. Really can’t see how people are saying we were outplayed.

Let’s not forget Hendo’s save and Southampton hitting the post in the first half.

We can’t say it was down to our missed chances when Southampton also had some great chances.

We were comfortably second best and lucky not to be 2 goals down by half time. Even luckier the stupid fucking booing of Adams didn't leave us with egg on our face for the 3rd time in a row in front of the Kop after Rhodes and Vardy...

There was a lot of anger with the referee but in reality he got most things right. We were simply on the wrong end of most things because Southampton were sharper.

They had more threat at the top of the pitch and looked a threat every time they sprung forward. We had nothing comparable.

Out of the window go any hopes of Southampton taking a relegation space. Not going to happen.

Everyone is mental. It was an even game. We played some really good stuff and lost to a moment of individual brilliance following a basic error. They weren't levels above us and a draw would have been fair. Saying that, we have to start taking chances.

All the woe is me, we are shit, picked the wrong team, much worse than them, hoofed it bollocks is exactly that. Bollocks.
The wrong team was picked...

Let’s not forget Hendo’s save and Southampton hitting the post in the first half.

We can’t say it was down to our missed chances when Southampton also had some great chances.

They had chances, yes. The one that hit the post was a wonderful hit from out of nowhere really. The best chance of the game was McGoldrick’s one-on-one; Fleck’s header was up there as well. McGoldrick missed another couple in the second half. We made the better chances.

We were comfortably second best and lucky not to be 2 goals down by half time. Even luckier the stupid fucking booing of Adams didn't leave us with egg on our face for the 3rd time in a row in front of the Kop after Rhodes and Vardy...

There was a lot of anger with the referee but in reality he got most things right. We were simply on the wrong end of most things because Southampton were sharper.

They had more threat at the top of the pitch and looked a threat every time they sprung forward. We had nothing comparable.

Out of the window go any hopes of Southampton taking a relegation space. Not going to happen.
Thought it was a very even game. 2 goals down at half time? They had chances and so did we. Very little in the game until we handed it on a plate to them. Even then we were on the front foot with chances for Didsy, Fleck and Mouset. Thought the ref was generally poor in open play but no complaints with the disallowed goal or Billy’s red. The handball? Not the refs fault but it really was a penalty. We died after Billy was sent off but I thought we were well in the game up until then as did Wilder

We played well
Agreed. But we were promoted playing a 3-4-1-2. We bought a player to replace a critical Duffy role and didn’t play him. We played 2 players that are recovering from injury, one of which also played in the international break. Additionally, we’re starting a centre midfielder that didn’t play a role in getting us promoted.

Really not sure why some people think we were clearly second best, Saints were quite poor for much of the game and only really had a good spell of sustained pressure after they scored. Stupid mistake to cost us the goal, but other than that we weren't under much pressure, just looked a bit vulnerable to the occasional counter.

Again it would have to be a clear error and wether it’s deliberate is very subjective. No way VAR was over ruling the decision given on the pitch.
VAR did what it’s been asked to do today.
Agree. It’s the rule that’s stupid. As if it would’ve been a striker doing it, the free kick would’ve been given

We handed the initiative to a team who play a high press because of our flat midfield three. Consequently we were playing 10 yards deeper than we needed to be and that allowed Southampton to compress the game in our half. The difference was they had players with quick feet in the middle who could turn defence into attack much quicker. We were tidy in our play but slow in thought. That's the difference between the Prem and the championship.

We looked toothless for much of the game despite our possession and only began to turn their defenders when Billy came on. I don't see Southampton troubling the top 10. Its a game we needed to get something out of the fact we didn't is concerning.

Very similar to how I saw it.

I thought we were second best by quite some way. Laboured in possesion. Too direct at times. Lacking ideas and predictable. Saying that we created chances and should have a draw at least.

Agreed. But we were promoted playing a 3-4-1-2. We bought a player to replace a critical Duffy role and didn’t play him. We played 2 players that are recovering from injury, one of which also played in the international break. Additionally, we’re starting a centre midfielder that didn’t play a role in getting us promoted.

Southampton (especially without Redmond) aren’t much better than a top Championship club. So if we’d started with that 11 (obviously with Sharp in for McBurnie) last season against say Norwich or Villa at home we’d all be moaning, so for me Wilder got it wrong today.

I love Wilder for everything he has done, but it’s as if he’s been listening to the pundits who say we can’t play like we did last season in the Prem. Give the system that brought us great success a chance before changing things.

I thought we were second best by quite some way. Laboured in possesion. Too direct at times. Lacking ideas and predictable. Saying that we created chances and should have a draw at least.
That's a bit contradictory isn't it?

We created 17 chances according to CW. That stat dosen't imply we were 2nd best. The VAR goal knocked the stuffing out of us. Ref and lino gave it and we celebrated. To have it chalked off, albeit correctly, was an anti climax. The part of VAR that isn't fan friendly.

Back
Top Bottom