Second best by a stretch today?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Can't fault the effort or commitment today. But (draws breath) ... we gave the ball away too easily when we had it, struggled to get it back when we lost it, fluffed our chances when they came, lacked creativity in the middle third, hit it long too often, looked as ineffective as we have done in a league game for some time, and were significantly short of Southampton's levels over 90 minutes. Despite their relative lack of chances, they did the basics so much better than we did, throughout.

I'm a huge fan of Fleck. The influence he has on games is underestimated by some on here. And he did good things today. But I also think that Freeman was seriously unlucky to lose the shirt, that we missed his pace breaking from midfield, his eye for a pass, his ability to keep the ball, and the dynamism he brings to us when we have possession in the middle of the park.

Didsy poses us a real conundrum. He's a technically accomplished player, who is capable of stuff that is beyond most of our squad, and we don't half need that kind of footballer in this division. Can we keep playing him, though, when he misses chances like today (espec the one in the first half)?

VAR? It may be fucking shit. But if we have several players offside in the oppo's area, from a dead ball, can we really complain?

Really disappointing. For the 10-15 mins we were on top, second half, we looked like we had the beating of them. In the end, sad to say, I felt we were second best by a stretch.
didsy is not a cf..

Lets see shall we. Wilder makes mistakes, we usually see them, he usually corrects them. Thats how the fella gets better , and he will.
Well CW made a point on radio Sheffield that he’d heard the previous caller having a go at Didsy and it was clear he didn’t agree. Our players are all premier league novices. We have to give them a chance to adapt.

Didsy's general all round play is excellent. I said today that he needed 4 chances to score 1 goal. We counted, and were wrong. He had 5 and missed the lot. That unfortunately is what is letting him down. Defenders make fewer mistakes at this level so you really have to make your chances count.

Didsy's general all round play is excellent. I said today that he needed 4 chances to score 1 goal. We counted, and were wrong. He had 5 and missed the lot. That unfortunately is what is letting him down. Defenders make fewer mistakes at this level so you really have to make your chances count.
Spot on pal.

Here's my view...

Frustrating. Another mistake cost us.
2 v Chelsea.
1v Leicester.
1 today
Was it a mistake at Bournemouth? Maybe not.

We've let 6 goals in. 4 mistakes and a worldy.

Can't keep doing that. Ref was shit, but they all seem to be. Slight touch and it's a free kick in this league.

McGoldrick - I love him. Fantastic to watch but he can't be our 1st choice striker. You can't waste 1 on 1s in this league. Don't get that many. His chance v Either palace or Leicester too where he was about 3 yards out, straight at GK.
He should be used in the Duffy role if we wanna play him

Time to go with the £30m strike force for me

They had some decent players and controlled the play just before they scored and also had the first 10 mins and another 10 mins in the first half where we chased shadows.

They were dogshit at the back. Vestergaard was the worst of them.

12 and 19 stood out, Adams looked strong and quick but finished like McGoldrick.

A draw would have been fair, we didn’t deserve to win or lose.

Think it's a gross exaggeration to suggest we were second best by a stretch. I think we totally matched them over the 90 minutes.

Sure, they had some players who had better technical skills than ours & they were able to transition quicker, but let's not forget that from minutes 15-60 we were totally in control & had several chances to take the lead. The rest of the time the game was more or less end-to-end.

Our system is brilliant & it works. However, our individuals sometimes lack the required quality & composure. McGoldrick & Fleck's finishing, Baldock's final third play, Norwood's play without the ball etc.. these are individual areas of weaknesses we know about & sadly as a collective we were unable to cover for them today.

Honestly dunno what some people were watching, i thought soton looked toothless and we looked more than a match for them

Definitely points dropped. We need to be better in the final 3rd. Can't have 17 shot with only 4 on target.

The thing that worried me was their counter attacking. They attacked quick and cut us open A LOT. Adams could've had a hattrick. If Liv, Man C, Spurs etc. Counter like that, they'll put 5 past us because they CAN finish

Definitely points dropped. We need to be better in the final 3rd. Can't have 17 shot with only 4 on target.

The thing that worried me was their counter attacking. They attacked quick and cut us open A LOT. Adams could've had a hattrick. If Liv, Man C, Spurs etc. Counter like that, they'll put 5 past us because they CAN finish
But some fans saying we were defensive so how could we have been countered?! Back in the real world, of course we will be countered we play attacking football, its part and parcel of football and we should expect it. Doesnt worry me at all.

We created 17 chances according to CW. That stat dosen't imply we were 2nd best. The VAR goal knocked the stuffing out of us. Ref and lino gave it and we celebrated. To have it chalked off, albeit correctly, was an anti climax. The part of VAR that isn't fan friendly.
17 chances 4 on target, scored 0
Southampton 11 chances 7 on target 1 scored

From that, you could also say we were second best where it mattered, as they got over 50% of their chances on target.

We were much too slow in the thought and deed today. Southampton schooled us for large parts of the game. It’s a phrase I detest but I think we got “found out” today.
Our movement off the ball was amateurish and our time on the ball was limited to the time Southampton allowed us to have it.

promoted teams score 60% less goals than in the promotionseason, thats a fact, and we do see it's harder to get the goals, but still we create lots of chances it's only so much harder to actually make them count.the hard part is when you play ok and loose 5-6 in a row. never thought it would be a joyride in the PL, but we 've adapted ok, coming weeks will be a stern test. missed Freeman today.

Everyone is mental. It was an even game. We played some really good stuff and lost to a moment of individual brilliance following a basic error. They weren't levels above us and a draw would have been fair. Saying that, we have to start taking chances.

All the woe is me, we are shit, picked the wrong team, much worse than them, hoofed it bollocks is exactly that. Bollocks.
Totally agree. Goldy should have scored and Norwood made a bad pass but some of the noise on here is way over the top. We will learn,Wilder will learn and we will be fine if we stick together. Had a chat with a few of their fans walking back and they felt a draw would have been a fair result. Everton here we come! Let the Moose loose for me !

Of the 4 games Chelsea - Liverpool this was the one that offered the best chance of 3 points, with that gone the phrase 'second by a stretch' will probably be the best we can offer in the next 2 games! Come 2.30pm in 2 weeks time we could easily be bottom 3. If our home form is going to be decisive then we need to make the most of the chances that come our way, & for me finding a relatively settled 11 is a good starting point.

Or we might find the thread topic is our mantra for the season!

I'm honestly trying to recall the times they cut us open?

There was an evident gap in quality between the two sides today.

Couple that with the incorrect team selection and it was never going to end well.

So cynical. I honesty can’t see how anyone who went today doesn’t think we should have got anything less than a point.

Honestly dunno what some people were watching, i thought soton looked toothless and we looked more than a match for them

Errmm , they beat us 1 - 0 , so how are we going to go on against teams who aren't toothless and who are more than a match for us ?

I actually thought we were the better team, but without Sharp starting, it was always going to be uphill.

Billy Sharp vs their keeper, one on one?, it's a goal.

Sharp running in at the back post from that first half corner, it's a goal.

Sharp firing at goal, in front of the kop, from about 8 feet out?, it's doesn't go over the cross bar, it's a goal.

They had pace and quickness of thought, dived a lot, but were not really a better team.

My biggest frustration at the moment is the flat 3 midfield. If we aren’t going to start with Freeman or McGoldrick in the “Duffy role” against Southampton at home, when are we going to?

Wilder said before the season we wouldn’t change how we play this season, well isn’t a flat 3 midfield a change in how we played last season?
Didsy spends so much time coming deep for the ball that he's forgotten where the net is and what his job is
Flat MF is NOT our game.
Either play Didsy or Freeman at the top of the diamond at home against "the other 14" or someone can have my ST.
WTF did we buy Freeman & Mousset ?

They had some decent players and controlled the play just before they scored and also had the first 10 mins and another 10 mins in the first half where we chased shadows.

They were dogshit at the back. Vestergaard was the worst of them.

12 and 19 stood out, Adams looked strong and quick but finished like McGoldrick.

A draw would have been fair, we didn’t deserve to win or lose.
The trouble is that it's not scored like boxing - goals win games - we make mistakes to concede them + mistakes to fluff open goals.
This MUST CHANGE or we're just sleepwalking to relegation , having spent £40m on attacking players to create + score goals.

Errmm , they beat us 1 - 0 , so how are we going to go on against teams who aren't toothless and who are more than a match for us ?

That's what I thought. Not sure what's worse, the idea that we were second best to Southampton at home or that we played really well - just not well enough to avoid defeat at home to Southampton.

Neither bodes especially well.

Back
Top Bottom