CONFIRMED Scott Hogan

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

£35k a week for a 94 appearances since 2009.... wheres John Ebbrell when you need him

Thing is, without perfect knowledge on Hogan's fitness, his salary, Villa's willingness to deal, Utd's targets and their respective status, CW's preference as well as what any agreement would look like we're all only guessing and giving an uninformed opinion.

Nothing wrong in giving an opinion but please would all the keyboard managers who think they know better than CW give it a rest and let the man try to recruit who he feels will be the best man for the job.

Of course recruiting someone who isn't fit on x2-3 the current highest earner at the club sounds odd but I'd be amazed if it is as straight forward as that.

Thing is, without perfect knowledge on Hogan's fitness, his salary, Villa's willingness to deal, Utd's targets and their respective status, CW's preference as well as what any agreement would look like we're all only guessing and giving an uninformed opinion.

Nothing wrong in giving an opinion but please would all the keyboard managers who think they know better than CW give it a rest and let the man try to recruit who he feels will be the best man for the job.

Of course recruiting someone who isn't fit on x2-3 the current highest earner at the club sounds odd but I'd be amazed if it is as straight forward as that.
Spot on.
No-one in their right mind would sign a player that's unfit or likely to break down again.
My guess is that our target will not be Hogan but who it is , i do not have a clue.
Suppose i could take a guess like Nixon, so..................Gallagher.

Wot I fink:

Wilder has done his homework.

He’ll know his fitness levels, his injury status, what we’re currently lacking and what he’ll contribute.

He’ll know the market - who’s available, who wants to come, and who represents the best value for us.

Wilder wouldn't sign him if he wasn't confident he'd contribute, and given how much money he'd cost, it looks like he's very confident.

That's enough for me.

Exactly.

Not only that, but the guy also has to pass a medical. Even if Wilder wants him, if he's not fit or not close to being fit, the club won't let Wilder have him.

The bottom line with United signing Scott Hogan is his fitness. He is a very good player and there is a reason why Villa payed £12m for him (though they paid too much imo).

He is a gamble pure and simple, but a calculated one at that if he comes in. The only reason that we could potentially be bringing him in with his attributes that he possesses is his injury record. Otherwise, we wouldn't stand a chance. He's better than Waghorn for sure and he's just gone for £5m plus and a wage north of £35k a week.

We havent got the money to compete for the quality centre forward without some semblance of baggage and that's the reality of it. So, I think it's a calculated gamble we are taking in that if we can get him fit and firing, he might just fall in love with the club and want to come permanently for a fee we can afford. Bruce is a clown who couldn't get milk from a cow, so recent form whilst playing for Villa isn't an issue in my book.

It's a £1.5m fee for wages (plus whatever loan fee Villa might demand) for a seasons use of the lad and a try before you buy trial. Bearing in mind the fees ordinary players are going for, I think it's a good deal for us. Go get the lad, get him fit, get him loving the club...we have a potential real asset on our hands.

Brentford supporter on 365; make of this what you will. Generally judges them well.

Injury free, he is the fucking bollocks. You'll have to build absolutely everything around him though. He can only play one way. Our overall team game got a lot, lot better once he'd fucked off.

But if his 'one way' fits nicely into our way (and he stays fit) then we have a top top player on our hands.

Up to CW to know whether he will fit n or not, but I suppose that's the beauty of a loan deal - we try before we really commit ourselves to a very large financial commitment.

If we don't sign a new striker, we won't make the playoffs.

If we sign a striker, we're in with a chance of making the playoffs.

Any signing is a gamble and in my view Hogan or a different striker is one worth taking because it could pay off big time.

The only issue here is his injury record. Of the forwards we've been consistently heavily linked with (Waghorn and Gallagher being the others) he's comfortably the best, on paper.

I know it's unpopular to not agree with Chris (if this is true) but this is a punt. It's not like this is a one off injury. Nothing against the lad, however his playing record is awful.

He only scored 5 goals in 34 games for Villa at this level

£2m just on loan wages is a big no from me.

Regards

Duncan Ballantyne

Nobody knows if this is even true - let alone the detail.

It could be that he comes to us for rehab, and we pick up his wages until the end of April once he makes his first appearance - max £1.2 million - minimum zero. Problem?

It could be anything.

Nobody thinks that a fit Hogan would be anything but good for us, and so I will assume that Tufty and our negotiators are not idiots and wait.

Magic is Created from Wisdom not Hope

Mind you we have had more than enough problems with players and a swollen groin!!

Brentford supporter on 365; make of this what you will. Generally judges them well.

Injury free, he is the fucking bollocks. You'll have to build absolutely everything around him though. He can only play one way. Our overall team game got a lot, lot better once he'd fucked off.

Ive read that he doesn't suit Villas more direct play at all and none of their fans are quite sure why they signed him given the style Bruce plays

So it starts out as a rumour, throw some petrol on and bang its off, most everyone is saying what a bad move it would be, he aint fit etc, if and it's a big if it happens are the majority going to come on here and say Chris wilder does not know what he is doing , we know better than him, or are they going to keep their powder dry and see how it pans out before saying I told you so or just keep quite. In wilder we trust? I still do.

What way is that though? I’ve seen very little of him. If it involves Hoof I shall write to my MP.

Could not disagree with you more.

Hogan doesn’t suite Hoof.

Neither does Sharp.

Guess what. We won’t do hoof :)

UTB
You misunderstand me.
Hogan plays on the shoulder of the last man, latches on to through balls, is a fox in the box, an opportunist. I've watched all his goals today and he's probably the closest player we've been looking at to Sharp.

I took "playing along side" as being the opposite, having the strengths and attributes that your striking partner lacks. Maybe I'm being old fashioned but I was meaning the others are tall, strong, decent In the air target men.

Why can't two players that are similar play together ?

What's the obsession with a big man little man ?
What's the obsession with one quick player one good at holding it up ?

All players have naturally subtle differences, non are cloned.

A manager builds a team that mirrors how he wants the game to be played, those that don't fit into that style shouldn't be signed regardless of his price, availability or his playing style.

We've signed too many players because they were available at the time or because the price was right, and then tried to shoehorn players into particular styles and positions.
We've never laid down a Sheffield United method of playing football and only signing those that can fit into it

Why can't two players that are similar play together ?

What's the obsession with a big man little man ?
What's the obsession with one quick player one good at holding it up ?

All players have naturally subtle differences, non are cloned.

A manager builds a team that mirrors how he wants the game to be played, nobody that doesn't fit into that style should be signed regardless of his price, availability or his playing style.

We've signed too many players because they were available at the time or because the price was right, and then tried to shoehorn players into particular styles and positions.
We've never laid down a Sheffield United method of playing football and only signing those that can fit into it
I get your point but if we had 2 Sharps up front we aren't scoring many in the air from open play again.
I don't just mean the second striker has to be a "plan B" but when intricate balls through the middle aren't paying off or it isn't sticking up top then it's always nice to have a Brian Deane as well as a Peschisolido.
It doesn't have to be a Heskey to your Owen a Shearer would do.

Last edited:
I get your point but of we had 2 Sharps up front we arent scoring many in tbeair from open play again.
I don't just mean the second striker has to be a "plan B" but when intricate balls through the middle aren't paying off or it isn't sticking up top then it's always nice to have a Brian Deane as well as a Peschisolido.
It doesn't have to be a Heskey to your Owen a Shearer would do.

Sure, sometimes it works having two completely different strikers. Big man little man etc
But a younger, quicker version of Sharp would do a lot of damage for our team, I think
Then Leon can provide the plan B if Sharp needs a rest or tires during a game

Sure, sometimes it works having two completely different strikers. Big man little man etc
But a younger, quicker version of Sharp would do a lot of damage for our team, I think
Then Leon can provide the plan B if Sharp needs a rest or tires during a game
Obviously we know fuck all about who he's in for but if the reports are true we want a poor man's Drogba.
Assombalonga, Waghorn, Gallagher. It sounds like we didn't even try for Marriott because of his size and style now 2month later we are trying for an older, more injury prone, more expensive version of him.

I like Hogan, he has always been my first choice but that's when I thought we were after 2 strikers.

Back
Top Bottom