Scaling the wall for free entry.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

My dad died before i was conceived, and mum never had much money, bringing 5 of us up plus a goat and the neighbours tortoise, so now and then i'd be proper scally and jump the wall on the corner of John street and Shoreham St to get in. Luckily the stewards back then all smoked capstan full strengths and had gin for breakfast, so i never got caught.
Anyone else done owt a bit scally to see dem Blades?

My dad used to be a steward at the Lane, I remember as a kid, between dragging on a Capstan and swigging from a pint bottle of Gordons, he used to tell me stories about his exploits.

He regularly used to tell me about this one little twat who used to jump the wall, wave his prick at the stewards, shout get to fuck and disappear into the crowd.

Always wondered who that was ;).

Not for free, but my youthful looks paid off, getting quid a kid well into my 20s😄....A highlight being Watford away, free coach from the club, and a quid ticket!

I didn't go through the turnstile at Norwich in 1989 even though I had a ticket.

Went through a gate instead, but not by choice. Ended up watching some of the first half at the side of the pitch due to a bit of a crush.

And all just a few weeks before the Hillsborough disaster.

When a mate and I were skint we used to lay on top of the garages on John Street to watch the match, before the new stand was built obviously or the view wouldn't have been much good. Invariably got clocked by the coppers and made to get down.

Thug life.

My dad died before i was conceived, and mum never had much money, bringing 5 of us up plus a goat and the neighbours tortoise, so now and then i'd be proper scally and jump the wall on the corner of John street and Shoreham St to get in. Luckily the stewards back then all smoked capstan full strengths and had gin for breakfast, so i never got caught.
What a funny story !

Went to watch a match at Villa Park when I was 8 in 1971 and it absolutely threw it down. My dad had come straight from work with no real wet weather gear and decided we would get soaked on the terrace. He only had enough money for one seat in the stand. He told the bloke on the turnstile I would sit on his knee and the turnstile operator let us both in. Bet that wouldn’t happen these days, everyone having to pay to stand in the same area as one seat.

Got shit restricted view seats in John street for Man U game, couldn’t see much so thought fuck this I’m gonna try and blag my way up into Tony currie suite. After just a few minutes of wandering the concourse plotting my route knocking on various doors I found myself in the players family lounge, it also happened to have a free bar for that game 👍 which I was told it usually doesn’t, I sat and watched the game with Mcgoldricks family 🍻

Walked through the cricket pavilion and across the cricket pitch at Northampton, day of the Hillsboro disaster. They were that bothered about us going onto the actual wicket bit they just opened a gate and let us on to the terrace.

Went to Millmoor in Freight Rover trophy in 84 being skint decided undertake Mission Impossible 1 through Boothy’s scrapyard . Not the wisest plan in bleached jeans , white trainers on a cold wet night . Finally got in after an hour on negotiating piles of broken shit & oil covered Lada’s & Datsun Cherries , then over semi tiled roofs of some derelict terraced houses in there & finally clambering over the wall & roof of the on-site police cells . Looked like I’d just come off a shift on the bloody coal face .. saved a tenner on entrance fee and cost me £40 for new jeans & trainers …bargain 👍👍⚔️

Last edited:
Went to Anfield, waited till the turnstile operator lifted the metal brake for the youngster in front, then pushed forward into the back of him, getting in for free, the scouse turnstile bloke shouting me back to pay"or else, yer thievin' Yorkshire bastard"
Oh the irony, we won 2-1, to cap a great day.

Went to Anfield, waited till the turnstile operator lifted the metal brake for the youngster in front, then pushed forward into the back of him, getting in for free, the scouse turnstile bloke shouting me back to pay"or else, yer thievin' Yorkshire bastard"
Oh the irony, we won 2-1, to cap a great day.

Crikey, talk about kettle and pot!

Anyone else still laughing at the "my dad died before I was conceived" bit at the start? 😂😂😂😂

No. The death of a parent is no laughing matter. You sick bastard.

I do think we need to be more considerate of others. I never met my Mum, she ran away before I was born and I've found this thread really difficult to read.

United fans got into Ewood Park using a ladder in 1980-81.
They got a ladder and a wheelbarrow in the stadium that day ????

Reactions: Dkc
Knew someone who worked the gates and got let into the New South Stand for a Steel City Cup game in the late 80s.

Also not let is as such, but was at a gate about to pay and Rob Kozluks dad gave me a spare players ticket. Can't remember anymore apart from Kozluks dad was a top guy

United fans got into Ewood Park using a ladder in 1980-81.
They got a ladder and a wheelbarrow in the stadium that day ????
The wheelbarrow was already in the ground, and as it was made of wood it gave us freezing Blades some much-needed warmth before the coppers spoilt the fun.

I remember a line of coppers walking at the side of the pitch towards the away end, each carrying a bucket of water, while we sang the Laurel and Hardy tune.

Not exactly scaling the wall but I was approaching the Shoreham street turnstiles with the cash to get in when a friendly Bobby gave me a ticket. There was an awkward moment when I thought should I offer him the cash before deciding it might appear as bribery?

Reactions: Dkc
I pretended to be John Gannon for about 3 years. I just ran around on the pitch, hiding and hoping the ball wouldn't come anywhere near me. It worked a treat until I scored a spozzy 30 yard 'roll-down-leg' at Forest, then people started to expect better things from me and it all went downhill from there.

I always admired the way you took corners with both feet. However, if you'll permit me to offer some constructive criticism, maybe it wasn't wise to take corners with both feet at the same time.

Sunderland away this year , my lad and 3 mates went up to stay in Newcastle the night before , met this foreign lad who just came up and started talking to them . He couldn’t understand the football culture ! They arranged to meet him the morning after and he went drinking with them . My lad said he was a good laugh and kept buying rounds so semi pissed they decided to try and smuggle him in to the away end . When they got to the turnstiles 2 of them occupied the stewards asking if it’s this gate etc and the other 2 got him in between them !
They all thought it was brilliant and so did he ! Although he couldn’t understand why they kept calling him Gary ! Lol
As ever UTB !

Up over the wall many a time. Also gone upto the main gate which led to the pitch, said I was a journo or St John’s and said it with such authority that the steward would just open up, I’d walk around the pitch into our end, didn’t always work but I got into a fair few grounds doing this, including ours many times. Then there was the vaulting the turnstiles, doubling up at turnstiles, or just offering the turnstile bloke something and he’d let you squeeze through the turnstile without it turning and clicking… this was was the 60s, 70s early 80s though.

I'm sure I did that once at exactly same spot, can't remember if I climbed over or there was a small gap....must have been about 8-year old at the time 😅

Division 4 season got in for nowt at Halifax entrance on side near the big flats won 5-1 Scunthorpe climbed over a wall that must have been 6ft if that lost 2-1 rare King Keith penalty Fa cup in 80s Fulham at home ? Got to turnstile bouncing on both feet then jumped turnstile 😀then running up kop steps think we won 1-0 Aldershot away under Bassett Tuesday night lost 2-0 walked through the garden bit and even sneaked into the main stand best bit was working nights at Halifax bank refurb Rocket Ron booked me in RIP so got paid

We used to climb up the billboards on Bramall lane at watch through the gap between the away end and south stand. They’d let us is when they opened up the gates for the last 10 mins.

I'm pretty sure you could roll under the South Stand gate on Bramall Lane side back in the day. I never did it but some other young uns were able to.

I was an original share holder with a silver disk. Just showed it at turnstile and they let you in. Quick as a flash pass it back to mate squeezed in behind. Mates dad had something similar for Pigs so int old days when everything were in black and white and KO were alternate Satdis at 3pm we always had a free game to go to.
An do know to save pocket money we would walk from wiswood and Stannington to the match and back. These days kids expect (and get) a door to door chauffeur service at any time of day or night.
My lad used to organise a charity five a side. United donated a shirt and other bits from the club shop. Wednesday sent a letter giving admission for two on the kop. He made about twenty photocopies and sold them for a tenner each.

Back
Top Bottom