Sander berge

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Stanthemanfan

Reaction score
Got a bad feeling he's gonna be gone before end of window
Apparently ac milan are keeping an eye on him if they get overpriced for their next target

He might well go. I have been critical of him but he has been decent for some time now. He is a Norwegian international so will likely leave to get top level football.

Unpopular opinion but if we get more than our money back I'll be grateful. Only need to cast our minds back to Derby away a few months ago and he was looking like money down the drain due to injuries, poor form and we were unsure where to play him. I appreciate the landscape has changed a bit but I still feel if the team plays well, Sander plays well, if the team plays poorly, he plays poorly or goes missing.

When he's on form he's a real joy to watch but if we keep him another year, he'll only have 12 months left on his contract and will got for a cut price next summer. Because we've made such bad investments elsewhere like McBurnie, Mousset etc. we've got to recoup some of the assets we spent a lot of money on.

I just wish we'd seen more of the current Sander through his 2.5 years we've had him.

Got a bad feeling he's gonna be gone before end of window
Apparently ac milan are keeping an eye on him if they get overpriced for their next target

I wouldn't begrudge him a move to somewhere like AC Milan, it's a step up from playing for us that's for sure.

Going back to Belgium would set his career back a few years and paint him as a mercenary who'll take the money to be a big fish in a small pond rather than test himself and improve.

Any other suitors might look at that as someone lacking ambition and give him a wide berth in the future and from an international perspective, I'd argue that he'd be better off playing in the Championship for us than going back there as far as the level of competition is concerned, I mean playing against Beerschot is really the pinnacle of European football...

We already have the replacements in - McAtee & Khadra

We may have, but that is yet to proven on the pitch

I also thought that a while back Hecky mentioned something about if Berge leaves would he be given the funds to replace him and/or would he have the time to be able to find a replacement, so those signings may suggest they aren't direct replacement players for Berge and even if they are, I would be slightly worried

I wouldn't begrudge him a move to somewhere like AC Milan, it's a step up from playing for us that's for sure.

Going back to Belgium would set his career back a few years and paint him as a mercenary who'll take the money to be a big fish in a small pond rather than test himself and improve.

Any other suitors might look at that as someone lacking ambition and give him a wide berth in the future and from an international perspective, I'd argue that he'd be better off playing in the Championship for us than going back there as far as the level of competition is concerned, I mean playing against Beerschot is really the pinnacle of European football...
Would he really be a big fish in a small pond? Small fish in a small pond I reckon. But I think that is where he'll end up. And as the record signing in Belgian football is less that 10m, we'd have to take a big hit.....

Would he really be a big fish in a small pond? Small fish in a small pond I reckon. But I think that is where he'll end up. And as the record signing in Belgian football is less that 10m, we'd have to take a big hit.....
Anyone from Belgium or the Belgian league who's any good has already left and been picked off by clubs over here or in Germany/France by the time they're in their early 20's, the duffers get left behind. He'd be a bigger fish there than he would be if he signed for a Premier League club here or in a decent league elsewhere in Europe.

Only 4 domestically based Belgian players were in the latest Belgian squad and two of those were Mignolet and Alderweireld who have basically gone back home to wind down and retire which tells the story of the standard over there.

Don't mind any of our players being sold. Berge clearly has the talent to be a top player, but he's struggles to assert himself on games.
As long as it's meets our valuation and there's a level of re-investment and/ or protecting the financial future of the club.

You only need to look at Brentford.
They are never been desperate to sell, so have been able to sell their best players for loads of money eg Watkins, Maupay etc

Then used some of that money to bring in a decent replacement.

Financially his sale needs to be enough to help run the club this season, unless the Prince is going all in on a promotion season..

If he is then Hecky better get his arse in gear, as having a premium squad and not using them in favour of the old guard who are just treading water won't wash for long..

Make no mistake, Sunderland will be a test, and a few more bizzarre substitutions (mcburnie - instead of any body who can play football) will soon see his job at risk.

He might well go. I have been critical of him but he has been decent for some time now. He is a Norwegian international so will likely leave to get top level football.
We've got absolutely no chance of keeping Rhys Norrington Davis then, who's a Welsh international, 17 places higher in the world rankings. :)

We've got absolutely no chance of keeping Rhys Norrington Davis then, who's a Welsh international, 17 places higher in the world rankings. :)
RND has also scored as many international goals (1) as Berge. And his came against Holland, rather than lowly Malta. This obviously doesn't make him a better player, but it does show how being a Norwegian international means 3/8ths of fuck all really

RND has also scored as many international goals (1) as Berge. And his came against Holland, rather than lowly Malta. This obviously doesn't make him a better player, but it does show how being a Norwegian international means 3/8ths of fuck all really

I tend to think that being a professional footballer at international level is a good achievement. You must have very high standards.

I tend to think that being a professional footballer at international level is a good achievement. You must have very high standards.
To answer for ABH, the point being adressed is that we might struggle to keep him, as he is a Norwegian International. Yet nobody would say the same thing about RND, who is an international for a much higher ranked team.

He continues to be ridiculously overrated by a section of our support, based on common sense measures.

He's doing very well for us, right now. That's good for us and him. I'd reject many people's suggestions that he's too good for us.

To answer for ABH, the point being adressed is that we might struggle to keep him, as he is a Norwegian International. Yet nobody would say the same thing about RND, who is an international for a much higher ranked team.

He continues to be ridiculously overrated by a section of our support, based on common sense measures.

He's doing very well for us, right now. That's good for us and him. I'd reject many people's suggestions that he's too good for us.

ABH is a bore and I stupidly had a bite. I'll try harder to resist next time.

As for the rest, you're welcome to your opinions, parts of which I don't disagree with.

I too think he will go, and it will be to offset our massive drop in income.
As already stated further up the thread, we have already signed ready-made replacements for him (of a different style, granted).
Would it be nice to keep him - yes, of course.
Can we afford to - nope.
Would he be the difference between going up or not - ultimately, I don't think so.
Good luck to the lad if he goes. A model pro by all accounts.

Would be gutted. When he's been fit he's been excellent. Post 1st lockdown; start of season two pre injury; back end of last season (after injury and no pre season at start of season). The criticisms I've seen have been in the periods when he wasn't fit and are irrelevant in my overview of him. The worries are that he gets injured again, and the contractual situation. Not the level of the player.

There is an argument that we could come out with a better balance from a sale. Maybe five permanent incomings with four or five being elite midfielders at this level. This would help us with the massive rebuild needed next season, and the general weakness in midfield this season. We can then move Norwood and Fleck on now or in the summer without worry.

Back
Top Bottom