Outgoing? SANDER BERGE ON WAY OUT ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

On our messageboard someone said the transfer cost SU +/- €23mio. I don't know if that's correct, but it would be ridiculous for a Belgian club to spend that amount of money on one player. Doesn't matter if you're bank account says yes, it's just a bad way of doing business and says a lot about their lack of scouting.

Curious how this will play out.
The real plus side for everyone involved is Berge’s disposition there’s been no hint of hard feelings or looking to force a move. I’d hope he stays and we gain promotion then if he wants to go on to that next step then fair enough.

The real plus side for everyone involved is Berge’s disposition there’s been no hint of hard feelings or looking to force a move. I’d hope he stays and we gain promotion then if he wants to go on to that next step then fair enough.

Exactly. I wouldn't understand it from a sportive standpoint for Sander himself either. Bruges isn't a real step forward except for playing Champions League and most likeley getting your ass kicked every two weeks.

I hope there won't be a deal with Bruges. It would sting to see one of the players in our last champions team going to a (very much hated) rival.

Exactly. I wouldn't understand it from a sportive standpoint for Sander himself either. Bruges isn't a real step forward except for playing Champions League and most likeley getting your ass kicked every two weeks.

I hope there won't be a deal with Bruges. It would sting to see one of the players in our last champions team going to a (very much hated) rival.
All depends on his own ambitions. If he wants to kick on, put in performances like he did Saturday on a regular basis then he'll get his move to a top league no problem.

If he wants to take it easy, play the odd CL group game and a few international fixtures for Norway then he can do that at Brugge.

I get the impression he's one of the smarter footballers and will know he has a better chance of making it 'big' if he knuckles down here for 5 months. Same with Ahmedhodzic, it's a fantastic stepping stone to a big move.

Moving back to Belgium probably signals that he doesn't have the appetite to play at the top level and I don't think a big club touches him if that's the case.

All depends on his own ambitions. If he wants to kick on, put in performances like he did Saturday on a regular basis then he'll get his move to a top league no problem.

If he wants to take it easy, play the odd CL group game and a few international fixtures for Norway then he can do that at Brugge.

I get the impression he's one of the smarter footballers and will know he has a better chance of making it 'big' if he knuckles down here for 5 months. Same with Ahmedhodzic, it's a fantastic stepping stone to a big move.

Moving back to Belgium probably signals that he doesn't have the appetite to play at the top level and I don't think a big club touches him if that's the case.

Rumours in Belgium media (I know...) are he has a personal agreement with Bruges and it comes down to the clubs to find an agreement or not.

Moving back to Belgium doesn't speak highly on his motivation no.

We need to keep Sander until January at the least. If at that point we are seriously in the frame for promotion we keep him. If not maybe consider offers. Selling him now would be Groundhog Day. Jones. Birchenall. Salmons. Currie. Sabella. Jan Age. Deane.
Hoping we have learned from those catastrophic short sighted decisions.
Sander if fit could genuinely be the catalyst for a return to the prem. He scares defenders and only Brum dealt with him by virtue of FOUR of their lot taking a yellow to stop him.
Next season our income will drop substantially. This is the time to retain our best players and go all in to go up.

Club Brugge definetely have the money to pull this one off. They just cashed in on De Ketelaere and they can re-invest all that money. I think it will end up around 17-18 mio plus add ons and can’t see our poor prince say no to that.

I just don't see Berge being sold to anybody for less than what we paid for him (circa £23m). We aren't in dire need of cash to balance the books at the moment as far as I can tell so it makes zero sense to take a financial loss on a player who clearly has the potential to make us a tidy profit in the future and is integral to this season's promotion push.

I just don't see Berge being sold to anybody for less than what we paid for him (circa £23m). We aren't in dire need of cash to balance the books at the moment as far as I can tell so it makes zero sense to take a financial loss on a player who clearly has the potential to make us a tidy profit in the future and is integral to this season's promotion push.

Not at the moment, but next season the parachute payments substantially drop.
After next season, they're gone entirely.

I don't think promotion can be achieved without Berge. Not if we don't reinvest the funds and balance the squad with good additions.
On that basis, we can't just sell away our (possibly last, good) opportunity of a promotion on the cheap.

I'm hoping that this is just his agent getting his name out there and trying to attract bids from the PL.
Brugges wouldn't be a good move for him, but I can see them meeting us at £20-25m. Hopefully he's not desperate for that move.

I still wouldn't be surprised to see him move late in the window, after a run of good form, to somebody like Brentford.

Club Brugge definetely have the money to pull this one off. They just cashed in on De Ketelaere and they can re-invest all that money. I think it will end up around 17-18 mio plus add ons and can’t see our poor prince say no to that.

Just because you can doesn,'t mean you should. It would be bad management for a Belgian team to invest that amount of money in one player.

Whatever the whys and wherefores of his valuation I'll really miss the big fella gliding round the pitch like a great white shark in a school of tuna fish

The matchday experience will be poorer without him

Yep. He'll be a big loss. I think our chances go with him too. He's our main point of difference.

Really surprised to hear he's agreed personal terms with them. I thought he'd be more ambitious.
Makes me wonder how desperate he is just to leave us. Perhaps not enjoying Sheffield, wasn't he burgled recently?

Yep. He'll be a big loss. I think our chances go with him too. He's our main point of difference.

Really surprised to hear he's agreed personal terms with them. I thought he'd be more ambitious.
Makes me wonder how desperate he is just to leave us. Perhaps not enjoying Sheffield, wasn't he burgled recently?

Do you have a credible source regarding this?

If Berge wants to go to brugge as has been suggested (but I find bollocks tbh) then he is not as bright as he looks. Maintain the level he is currently playing at for us and he has the choice of top clubs throughout Europe or stay and play for us in the prem

According to a (in general) trustworthy newspaper in Belgium, Brugge offered 15 million Euros + add ons and we rejected that offer. Reckon they can up their bid to about 20 millions + add ons if they really want him.

When we signed McCatee I did think at the time where on earth are we going to fit all these attacking mids! I'm guessing this is with one eye to Berge leaving. If he does go I really hope we sign a left centre mid to give competition to Fleck, I don't really see Osborn as providing that.

Back to Berge and it does feel like it's just a matter of time before he goes, I'd rather him go to the PL or Bundesliga for the sake of his career, but that's up to him.

We've been promoted without Sander before. We can get promoted without Sander again. 🤷‍♂️

Just because you can doesn,'t mean you should. It would be bad management for a Belgian team to invest that amount of money in one player.

They are the best managed club in Belgium for several years now, winning 3 consecutive titles and doing great in the transfer market. Again this year they have at least 2 players they can sell for around 35 mio each with De Ketelaere en Lang so a bit silly criticism and more jealousy than anything else. For them Berge will be a perfect fit and perfect upgrade for Vormer. Also still only 24 so they can recover that fee in 2-3 years time again and may even have a big profit on him.

Rumours in Belgium media (I know...) are he has a personal agreement with Bruges and it comes down to the clubs to find an agreement or not.

Moving back to Belgium doesn't speak highly on his motivation no.
He has a price on his head.
Personal agreement or not!

I'd wait and see what we do with the money before I got so pessimistic about our play off chances

2 or 3 solid signings would probably strengthen us

"Our poor prince" turned town 2 much higher bids from Arsenal (for Ramsdale).
Yes but he knew he was going to sell him in the end. He held out for more which is good and the same will happen with Berge I expect. They will get the maximum fee that they can but in the end they know they need to sell him. Big part of that initial transfer fee will already have been amortized and how many years of his contract still to run? 2?

They are the best managed club in Belgium for several years now, winning 3 consecutive titles and doing great in the transfer market. Again this year they have at least 2 players they can sell for around 35 mio each with De Ketelaere en Lang so a bit silly criticism and more jealousy than anything else. For them Berge will be a perfect fit and perfect upgrade for Vormer. Also still only 24 so they can recover that fee in 2-3 years time again and may even have a big profit on him.
Well if they can sell their own players for 35mill they can pay the going rate and stop taking the absolute piss. 12 mill is derisory

I just can’t see United selling him for a loss.

We’ve done some lousy deals after promotion. He now seems to be settling down and could really maximise his value with a good run between now and Christmas.

He’d be selling himself short if he went to Brugge. If he plays like he did against Millwall then as was mentioned earlier he’ll have interest from Serie A, La Liga, the Bundesliga or the Premier League.

Are you any nearer to getting a striker yet or have you stopped now the midfield and defence have numbers?

Last time I checked you had a 20 year old loanee and a 17 year old.

Jealous? I'd be jealous if they found a hidden gem somewhere in Scandinavia or South-America for 3 mio and sell that player for a lot more.
If Genk was in Bruges' position and do this sort of transfers I'd call it bad management because of the unnecesary risk. Let's say they spend +20mio euro on Berge and he injures himself again? Then they have to go back to market and find another replacement. And yes, every player could get injured, but the risk is a lot lower with a player you paid a lot less for.
Keep in mind Bruges is just like Genk still a Belgian (!) team.

Back
Top Bottom