Rotherham 2 United 2 - ratings

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
Going out so no report today. Sorry....briefly though....We were terrible. We were lucky to get anything. Henderson kept us in it. I felt they were better all game. Individually and collectively other than a couple we were shocking. I was astounded how bad we were on and off the ball. Many players need to have a look at themselves tonight as some have gone a bit hilly big bollox. If we repeat that against better teams we will get some right stuffings. Our attitude, play and over all desire today was for the most part really nowhere near good enough.

1 win in 6 is not very good and we have had 2 and a half really poor away performances now.

Ratings

Henderson 9/10 - Loads of super saves. The one from point blank range was superb. Some springy athletic finger tips away. Looks a superb keeper.

Freeman 3/10 - Wretched. He gave it away all game, did not do the basics and was so slow to react to anything. He kept heading it back to the centre of the goal. Did not stop a cross all game. Bad form at the moment. Baldock back in for the game Tuesday.

Stevens 5/10 - He did well on our goal but did not stop a cross all game and was woeful on the goal selling himself and not winning the tackle.

Basham 6/10 - Scored the goal which was real desire after he defleced in the leveller but he was not at his best and had a spell to start the 2nd hslf where he made 3 or 4 errors in 90 seconds. Booked again.

Connell 6/10 - Not sure he won many headers and Smith dictated things and won a lot against him. He did win a few things as the game went on but the midfield gave the defence no protection.

Egan 7/10 - Our best defender. He at least competed and won some tackles. He must be sick of the ball coming across from undefended crosses.

Norwood 4/10 - Pinged a few decent balls half out 1st half but never really at it passing wise or competing. Awful error on the goal but he had given it away 2 or 3 times that nearly led to a goal. He took too long on the ball and I felt was sloppy all game.

Fleck 5/10 - Controversial but I think he has had a sub standard season really. He seems to not be doing the same things and he too gave it away all game and looked sluggish when he had it. Was involved in both goals.

Duffy 7/10 - Our best outfield player. Scored a lovely goal and everything good we did came through him first half. He faded 2nd hslf but we never seem to improve when he goes off.

Sharp 6/10 - Battled hard with no service whatsoever. Made the 2nd. He would love some decent crosses himself.

McGoldrick 5/10 - Few nicethkngs but I felt he neshed a few things and slso gave it away quite a bit. Missed a really good chance. Not in the game 2nd hslf as Rotherham dominated.

Subs

Clarke - Gave cheap fouls away and barely touched it.

Stearman- Won a few headers but the goal came from a more unlikely source

Johnson - Moronic. What was he trying to do? Wilder will be furious with him. His job was to take it to the corner.

Rotherham - Excellent. Sure the stats guys will put it up but they had tons of chances, lots of touches in our box and despite getting the late goal will wonder how they did not win easily. A lot of percentage stuff but Warne worked us out. Two quick tricky wingers to pin the wing backs in. Also ball forward quickly as we often overload the other way. They had more energy and will to win. We always sat players on bigger wages come undone v United for skill and battle. Today they did that to us.

Overall hugely disappointing. The manner of the performance, the late goal and the stupidity we conceded it and another poor result. We simply do not get wins in games we play crap in. Seen it time and time again. We can't see games out. I get panned for saying we will fade away but we have too many let down performances like that. For all the plaudits we get...the last two away performances have been appalling. Add in only a draw against a bad SWFC side and it is really disappointing.

Be interesting to see the reaction Tuesday.

Actually think you've been too nice with Fleck and Norwood. Both 3/10 for me. Won nothing, created nothing and never got near the Rotherham players .

Does very much look like we are going back to last season's post November form which is no surprise given the resources

Actually think you've been too nice with Fleck and Norwood. Both 3/10 for me. Won nothing, created nothing and never got near the Rotherham players .

Does very much look like we are going back to last season's post November form which is no surprise given the resources
We got Birmingham Norwood today. Fleck looks lost, what's his role?

9 for Hendo

7 for Duffy first half

6. For Egan.

Nobody else above a 3 or 4.

How do our resources compare to what Paul Warne has at his disposal?

So, next manager then?

Who knows who our next manager will be when Wilder inevitably walks. If it's McCabe in charge I'll guess Mark Hughes. If it's The Prince I'll guess Dick Van Man

Going out so no report today. Sorry....briefly though....We were terrible. We were lucky to get anything. Henderson kept us in it. I felt they were better all game. Individually and collectively other than a couple we were shocking. I was astounded how bad we were on and off the ball. Many players need to have a look at themselves tonight as some have gone a bit hilly big bollox. If we repeat that against better teams we will get some right stuffings. Our attitude, play and over all desire today was for the most part really nowhere near good enough.

1 win in 6 is not very good and we have had 2 and a half really poor away performances now.

Ratings

Henderson 9/10 - Loads of super saves. The one from point blank range was superb. Some springy athletic finger tips away. Looks a superb keeper.

Freeman 3/10 - Wretched. He gave it away all game, did not do the basics and was so slow to react to anything. He kept heading it back to the centre of the goal. Did not stop a cross all game. Bad form at the moment. Baldock back in for the game Tuesday.

Stevens 5/10 - He did well on our goal but did not stop a cross all game and was woeful on the goal selling himself and not winning the tackle.

Basham 6/10 - Scored the goal which was real desire after he defleced in the leveller but he was not at his best and had a spell to start the 2nd hslf where he made 3 or 4 errors in 90 seconds. Booked again.

Connell 6/10 - Not sure he won many headers and Smith dictated things and won a lot against him. He did win a few things as the game went on but the midfield gave the defence no protection.

Egan 7/10 - Our best defender. He at least competed and won some tackles. He must be sick of the ball coming across from undefended crosses.

Norwood 4/10 - Pinged a few decent balls half out 1st half but never really at it passing wise or competing. Awful error on the goal but he had given it away 2 or 3 times that nearly led to a goal. He took too long on the ball and I felt was sloppy all game.

Fleck 5/10 - Controversial but I think he has had a sub standard season really. He seems to not be doing the same things and he too gave it away all game and looked sluggish when he had it. Was involved in both goals.

Duffy 7/10 - Our best outfield player. Scored a lovely goal and everything good we did came through him first half. He faded 2nd hslf but we never seem to improve when he goes off.

Sharp 6/10 - Battled hard with no service whatsoever. Made the 2nd. He would love some decent crosses himself.

McGoldrick 5/10 - Few nicethkngs but I felt he neshed a few things and slso gave it away quite a bit. Missed a really good chance. Not in the game 2nd hslf as Rotherham dominated.

Subs

Johnson - Moronic. What was he trying to do? Wilder will be furious with him. His job was to take it to the corner.

Rotherham - Excellent. Sure the stats guys will put it up but they had tons of chances, lots of touches in our box and despite getting the late goal will wonder how they did not win easily. A lot of percentage stuff but Warne worked us out. Two quick tricky wingers to pin the wing backs in. Also ball forward quickly as we often overload the other way. They had more energy and will to win. We always sat players on bigger wages come undone v United for skill and battle. Today they did that to us.

Overall hugely disappointing. The manner of the performance, the late goal and the stupidity we conceded it and another poor result. We simply do not get wins in games we play crap in. Seen it time and time again. We can't see games out. I get panned for saying we will fade away but we have too many let down performances like that. For all the plaudits we get...the last two away performances have been appalling. Add in only a draw against a bad SWFC side and it is really disappointing.

Agree with that. The quick ball forward over our wing backs is a tactic Wigan employed to good effect a few weeks ago. We never won a second ball in the midfield all afternoon and our passing was laboured all match.

Time for the Holy Trinity to be resurrected on Tuesday, Coutts to return and Baldock back in. Norwood and Freeman have been poor for a few weeks now. Having said that we lacked desire today. Thats not acceptable for anyone wearing the red and white stripes, manager needs to get into them next few days otherwise season will start to drift.

Since Norwood's delivery has been quite poor, I would agree Couttsy needs a run.

His set pieces are what he has over Coutts but he's not showing it and hasn't been for a bit to be honest. He's not been awful, he's still got his Hollywood passes and he mucks in but he's not been good enough to keep Coutts out.

I think I could've done a better job at RWB than Freeman today nevermind Baldock, the obvious choice for the last few games I think.

Fleck made one good pass and that's all I can remember of him.

Far too many players seem to have been table gazing, we can go top, they're down the other end. We paid them no respect really, expecting the ball to magically appear at our feet, on our heels for second balls, mostly sedate and inneffectual pressing.

And no service for the strikers at all really. Some appalling crosses today, overhit, underhit, wombling free.

I'd take 8 players wages and give them to the 3 players who actually tried to win that game.

Ratings

Subs

I thought McGoldrick (despite the miss) was our best outfield player along with Duffy. I would have given him a 6.5. He kept finding space between the lines, kept moving, some nice touches, he’s positive in everything he does.

I don’t think Fleck was as good as a 5. Would have put him at a 3 with Freeman today. Not only was he poor on the ball but I also felt he shied away and hid most of the game. Something I’ve never seen from him before. His attitude was poor and he didn’t look like he wanted it. I’d probably give Norwood a slightly higher mark than Fleck, output was similarly dreadful but he was at least involved in the game and didn’t shirk. Probably a 4.5 ?

You usually do marks for Wilder, but haven’t today. And yet again it’s goals for the opposition straight after his substitutions. They just haven’t worked this season. The football can be sublime at times, in fact it usually is, but we rarely have a Plan B. We haven’t sourced options that provide something different from the bench. If the game’s going against us at 60-70 mins I’m not confident we can turn the tide.

We argued last season that we hadn’t been “found out” and that our decline was mainly due to Coutts’ injury. However, this season I think we are beginning to be somewhat “found out.” We play some great football, work overloads and get ourselves into a great position, usually to the sides of the 18 yard box. But then it seems all we know is a cross driven into the 6 yard box. The opposition know that if they have numbers back and defend the front post they’ll be ok 9/10.

The sad thing is, we had a player in David Brooks who was a bit special, who could unlock a stubborn defence. He would have been the difference this season.

If ever there was a game for the cool calm head of Paul Coutts... today's was is it.

All we needed was to spend the second half playing neat little triangles in the centre circle until they ran out of steam. Instead we were trying daft passes which weren't there and got us repeatedly into trouble.

I felt it Could be tricky game. Rotherham have done far better than i thought beating derby & swansea then home advantage But 2 teams on paper we shouldve have too much for rotherham. It was funny how Wilder said in post match interview after wednesday. He asked the players when was the last time you played terribly like stoke did & got a draw or win out of it & next game along today was very nearly that day. Because considering how we were minutes from 3pts. We got lucky today, masters of our downfall. sloppy passing. Midfield at fault so many times the period of Rotherham pressure came from us dreadful in possession Fleck or Norwood gave the ball away around halfway & defence is out of shape under needless pressure. Rotherham ran at us

Taking about stoke earlier, the whole game was like being an opposition fans watching wilder team. Because that the 1st goal was very un wilder like. It was against the run of play & we were clinical with our chance

Henderson - 9
Freeman - 2
Basham - 6
Egan - 6
O'Connell - 5
Stevens - 6
Norwood - 2
Fleck - 4
Duffy - 6
McGoldrick - 5
Sharp - 6

Clarke - 6
Stearman - 5
Johnson - retard

Wilder - 3

The sad thing is, we had a player in David Brooks who was a bit special, who could unlock a stubborn defence. He would have been the difference this season.

Absolutely. But it was more important to get a poxy fee we could've probably doubled had we waited till January.

I thought all the players that had been away on international duty were awful today, bar Egan and he'd had the week off due to injury.

We didn't deserve owt out of the game really but 2-1 in injury time and we gift them the goal. At half time I thought Wilder might have put Baldock, Coutts and Clarke on for Freeman, Norwood and McGoldrick. That's what I'd do with the starting line up Tuesday.

I thought all the players that had been away on international duty were awful today, bar Egan and he'd had the week off due to injury.

We didn't deserve owt out of the game really but 2-1 in injury time and we gift them the goal. At half time I thought Wilder might have put Baldock, Coutts and Clarke on for Freeman, Norwood and McGoldrick. That's what I'd do with the starting line up Tuesday.

Always interested to hear the views of people who saw the game differently to me. So, outside of his poor close range miss, what else did you think McGoldrick did wrong today? I think he’s been one of our best performers across the two derby matches (although I accept he also faltered at the most crucial moment of the Wednesday game).

I like McGoldrick but didn't think he had one of his more effective games today. The main reason I'd have put Clarke on for McGoldrick (as Wilder did in the second half) would have been to ask the Rotherham defence a few different questions, give them something different to deal with, a forward to stand up to them physically. I think he did that to a large degree when he came on.

Generally I've been impressed with McG this season and his intelligent link up play when he drops off the main striker, today I felt it didn't work for him. Admittedly there were a lot more that were worse than McGoldrick today, however one of them wasn't Billy Sharp, so for me McG should have been the one to give way.

Always interested to hear the views of people who saw the game differently to me. So, outside of his poor close range miss, what else did you think McGoldrick did wrong today? I think he’s been one of our best performers across the two derby matches (although I accept he also faltered at the most crucial moment of the Wednesday game).

I thought he was quite poor today to be honest. Every pass was backwards, he gave it away twice in 10 seconds at one bit, and then there was that horrendous bit of play when he gave up cos he thought he was offside. Two men were playing him on FFS!

Hendo 9...Great saves
Freeman 3...Poor today
Bash 6...Good and Bad at times
Egan 6...Did OK
O'Connell 6...see Bash
Stevens 5...partly at fault for 2nd goal
Norwood 5..inneffective;lost possession
Fleck 5...see Norwood
Duffy 6...Great opener though.
Sharp 6...Battled well,poor service
McG 6...Did ok to be fair

Clarke 6...Put himself about,won headers
Stearman ?
Johnson...not Marvellous

I still don’t really understand why our three subs were brought on for a 7/10, 6/10, and 5/10 (whom I would have rated a 6), when we leave on a 3/10, a 4/10, and a 5/10 lucky to be scored that highly.

My changes yesterday at 60/70 mins would have been:
– Baldock for Freeman
– Coutts for Norwood
– Stearman for Fleck, with Basham moving into midfield

at the end of the day we get a point on probably our worst performance in years,,,,

don`t agree the rotherham wingers kept our wing backs from getting forward, Freeman got into many good crossing areas , especially first half, just a shame he`d forgotten to unpack his legs and skill from his Albania jaunt. The lad was woeful, nothing to do with Rotherham... almost all his errors and poor passing were unforced.

Back
Top Bottom