Rose tinted spectacles?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I've been watching them for almost 30 years, so not as long as many on here but I haven't seen a United side as good as this. It is just so entertaining to watch, the one twos, the cheeky little through balls and the way we just seem to dominate most teams who we play.

The midfield is the key of course, that wonderful, multifaceted trio combining with the full backs and not forgetting the overlapping CBs as well.

Very very special and a team that could just kick on to the top level, we really could you know.

Only if when you got off the train you walked straight in to pigsborough or a carlost bouncing piglet or not as bad a wall of studded nails(o_O), then I would suggest the tint on your spectacles was a little too thick.....
:rolleyes:
I've watched them from a couple of seasons before TC signed in 1968 and seen a lot of exciting and attacking play, although many were the seasons when an away draw anywhere was seen as a triumph :rolleyes:.
Even during the run we had 1971/2 (ended by a certain G.Best) the football played was nowhere near the quality of the present entertainment.
This lot ARE the best we've had and I'm sure that even TC and Brian Deane would agree with that - if anyone asked them :)

Enjoy it!

In any way I can think to measure it, they are everything I want a Sheffield United team to be.

I'm enjoying watching them and I'm proud of how they represent my club.

There have been so many false dawn's and kicks in the bollocks over the years I'm having to force myself to block out what my eyes are showing me they're capable of achieving.

Happy days.
Double, nay, triple likes

When I got on the train home today the chap across the aisle from me said "I've been watching United since 1972 and this is the best team I've ever seen"

I said " I've been watching them a few years longer and I completely agree with you"

Are we wearing rose tinted spectacles?[/
I thought rose tinted specs were retrospectively biased?
Anyway....It's a new brand of football that will leave them foreign coaches drooling in it's wake.MADE IN SHEFFIELD
and about to take the world by storm.

I'm on mi 4th pint of San Miguel and feeling top of the world......
Top of the league next Friday night if we win and nestled comfortably in 3rd if we lose,can't be bad!

You know things are going well when you're comfortably on top of the game and you can bring a talent like Brooks on from the bench. Certainly seen better individual players but this is certainly the most entertained I've been about a squad collectively.
Brooks on the bench, says it all..
What a luxury that is.

I've been watching them since mid 70s (so really post Woodward and Currie) and in that time they've had spells where they've played very good football 02/03 inspired by McCall and Brown, back end of 95/96 under Kendall, 11/12 under Wilson, back end of 13/14 under Clough. The current team is right up with all of them but it seems like we've sustained this level of good football for a longer period than any of the other eras.

In my lifetime I still say our best strongest all round team was Spackman's at the start of 97/98. If Green and McDonald would have held their nerve and not meddled, just left it to Spackers (and we'd have been a bit luckier with the injuries to Whitehouse and McGrath, or pragmatically brought in proper replacements) I still reckon we'd have won the title that year and got to the FA Cup final.

We’ve had good teams in the past with TC and Woody, and Deane and Agana etc. but I think this team beats them in terms of shear consistency over the last year and a bit.
They have a remarkable way of learning from slight blips and just steamroller onwards.
This is a powerful squad of players that Wilder has assembled.
All that’s missing is a few 6-0 wins, Elland Rd would be a good place to start...

Early 71 was when I became a Blade (by choice rather than by birth) after visiting various teams further North, whence I came. I have to say that this is the best football that I’ve watched since 71/72 season. Style of play, mostly necessitated by pitch condition, means that it is impossible to compare precisely. I would say that 71/72 was a better footballing side BUT (controversial) that Tufty is head and shoulders above John Harris who is head and shoulders above anything that has gone since.

We are playing off the pitch teams that cost ten times what our guys cost. Our guys have character - OK - but they had character where they were before. There is an analytical genius in the guy who wears our heart on his sleeve. For those of a certain age - imagine what he would have done with the 71/72 squad - with fire in their bellies. Best would have been taken out in that fucking MOTD goal and history would have been very different.

We have Fergie’s real successor here. Hold your breath - it might never happen - but it just might.

The Magic is Back

been going since 87 , this is the best team to watch 100% , not the most successful.......................yet !

Calm down, calm down. We ain't achieved nothing yet. All the teams previously mentioned actually gain promotion, hopefully, we will to. But it's a bit premature to start calling this team the best in the last 40 odd years when we are still in Div2!!
We play great football,some say the best in 40 years,worth crowing about me thinks

Been watching since the early 90's and I've never seen an entire team play like they are fans of the club like this lot do. When the final whistle went today, Basham and o'connell sank to their knees celebrating like we had won the FA cup! I bet that whatever these players go on to achieve they will say they have never seen a dressing room so together like the one we have now

Calm down, calm down. We ain't achieved nothing yet. All the teams previously mentioned actually gain promotion, hopefully, we will to. But it's a bit premature to start calling this team the best in the last 40 odd years when we are still in Div2!!
I'm confused....... we ain't achieved nothing... help.......

Love this, love the fact we’re actually even talking about this and for the record I’m sticking my head on the line and saying....this is the best United side I’ve ever seen (starting watching 1980/81)

Next year will be my 50th watching the Blades and although there have been great performances over that time, it is the consistency of this side that is so amazing.

For over a year now we have been by far the better side, week in week out, regularly looking a division better than the opposition. Incredibly, despite winning all these /matches you could argue that we have actually deserved even more points than we've got. I can think of a few games where we've been better than our opponents and drawn or lost but am struggling to think of games where I feel we've mugged anyone. Again, in games we've won I've often felt that our winning margin should have been greater.

Two things that stood out for me again today were the quality of our pressing and our passing. It's hard to judge our poor our opponents are because it seems to me that the better we press the poorer they look.As for the passing, when we were pinging the ball around it was consistently under control first touch, When Reading were pressing later on they often needed that extra touch before moving the ball on,

Not only are they a fantastic team, demonstratively representing the values of so many fans on the pitch, but given the very quick turn around from the soulless dross of only a couple of seasons ago? I could not be more proud and pleased. It's joyful to be a small part of this piece of our history.

As i said elsewhere first half certainly I couldn't believe this was United, the team I supported. There was a period of 10 or 15 minutes when Reading barely touched the ball and when they got a tackle in the loose ball went to one of our players and it was beautiful to watch. Second half I'm hoping we were influenced by conditions more as we were ok but not a patch on that first period. If I have to complain it is still not getting the ball in the net often enough given our superiority.

I get what you're saying..But for me we've achieved loads.Yes, we're in Div 2..I don't care. Its light years away from what we've had to endure for the several seasons pre Wilder...It's a joy going to the Lane. Whatever we do. Or don't do, for that matter. I'm just loving it .. No giddy predictions, but we are good :)

well i've been watching with more or less attention since 1970 (i expect you can guess the times there was more attention and when less) exiled from the city in 1979 so not really a full timer since then - it's actually very difficult to compare what you see now as against what you saw as a young teenager - really the only things that you can be clear about is how much you enjoyed it (it was a lot of fun in the TC years) and how much of the others you beat - this lot are doing pretty good on both counts i'd say - i just hold my breath willing it to continue on and on and on - we need to really spank someone soon i think - reading would have been nice but leeds would be nicer still

Upping the length of time to 64 years of watching United. Comparisons are very hard, but the football now is at least as enjoyable as at any time since 1953. I cannot remember a more complete home performance than the first 45 minutes today. I welcome suggestions of performances as good. 3-0 up at Newcastle in the Cup 6th round in the early 60s is one candidate. But the quality today was outstanding.

After 45 years loyal service. I can't ever remember myself giggling out loud with some of the wonderful interplay from my wonderful team.
What's equally wonderful is that the fans can't find a whipping boy amongst the lot of em.

Some of the best football I’ve seen from united in a long time
Can’t possibly be best team until they’ve achieved what previous teams have - promotion and then maintaining top flight.
Few steps to go yet kids!!
⚔️⚔️⚔️

When I got on the train home today the chap across the aisle from me said "I've been watching United since 1972 and this is the best team I've ever seen"

I said " I've been watching them a few years longer and I completely agree with you"

Are we wearing rose tinted spectacles?
Nope.

Certainly the best midfield I’ve ever seen.

JOC is PL standard as well.

UTB

No. I said the very same last week. I've seen better individual players, TC, Woody, Deano, for example, but the key word is TEAM.

The Woodward, Currie, etc side of the first half of the 1970s was playing at a higher level than this one, so at the moment I would call it in favour of that side.

However, this side is really in it's infancy at the moment and has the potential to do better.

At certain times in our history there have been sides that you just really love. For me it's those of the early 1970s, the 2002-3 side and this one.

To quote a famous match of the day commentator 'a quality goal by a quality TEAM'.
The second goal even got a comment from the missus tonight whilst watching C5 'wow' you can't say better than that.

Utb

We're playing some very good stuff but it is only over 13 games in the second tier.
The early 70s team was better and the teams that played in the top flight since then also proved themselves at a higher level.
The Kendall/Spackman teams played some very good stuff as did Warnock's teams at times, including in the Prem.
The only time we've played a Premier team recently we got hammered.
We're playing really well at the moment but relative to previous teams, achieved nowt yet.

Back
Top Bottom