Rodwell

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Don’t disagree really, just think they could be potentially of value, but a year out on loan would be the caveat and if either (Rodwell less so) are on significant wages that we really need to save to recruit then they would both leave.

I mean we’ve got players on the books out on loan that are highly unlikely to ever play for the 1st team

I think they were both contracts offered by a promoted championship club without a significant transfer budget. We should be on better financial footing this/next season so shouldn’t need to take similar gambles.

I’d not even entertain offering contracts to either. Morrison would be a definite ‘no’. I’m assuming he’s not set the world alight in his 2 Championship appearances for Boro so why would we bother?

Great to see Rodwell come on, More experience in the team. And he’s obviously worked hard and been patient.

Is that three or four league debuts we’ve given out since kick down begun?

Zivkovic, Rodwell, Robinson are I think... and perhaps Osborn played before lockdown...

the last few months have been a boozy blur so I could be getting mixed up

The Spurs game was Osborn’s first start in the Premiership I believe, though he’d obviously come off the bench a few times.

With all due respect he’s been a worthwhile gamble for me; but why on earth would Ravel Morrison be worth another year?
Why on earth is anyone below the first team squad worth another deal ?

If I’m coming across as his No.1 fan, then that is really not the case and Roygbiv may well dispel any (false) hope I have for the lad with his ‘view from the loans’, but he’s currently operating, along with C. Robinson, at the highest level of loan player we have.

I wouldn’t want his (or Rodwell’s) wage to be at a level that severely impacts the first team budget, but I feel we have 2 previously proven players we could contract down for a year and send out on loan (that’s the caveat) with a club option to extend.

I’d not give him another ‘see how it goes contract’ so in that respect I agree

I think they were both contracts offered by a promoted championship club without a significant transfer budget. We should be on better financial footing this/next season so shouldn’t need to take similar gambles.

I’d not even entertain offering contracts to either. Morrison would be a definite ‘no’. I’m assuming he’s not set the world alight in his 2 Championship appearances for Boro so why would we bother?
I thought he was playing for Boro !? Just tagged Roygbiv awaiting the view from.

In such circumstances, then your probably right. We have no better than the other youngsters we are loaning our and for a higher wage.

Can you explain that? Are you talking about the bit where Sunderland gave Rodwell a contract and then didn’t want to honour that contract?

I don’t think it can be disputed that he doesn’t come out of it well.

Whether it’s how he was portrayed by the producers or whether it was a stitch up for dramatic effect is unknown to all but those ITK.

I had numerous conversations with Blades and other fans where the gist was “oh he’s the one on running his contract down on £70k a week at Sunderland while the staff were being fucked over”.

I thought he was playing for Boro !? Just tagged Roygbiv awaiting the view from.

In such circumstances, then your probably right. We have no better than the other youngsters we are loaning our and for a higher wage.

I’m going on this.....5DCE67B1-DEDE-4E73-8243-2AB7DAA0F00E.png

I don’t think it can be disputed that he doesn’t come out of it well.

Whether it’s how he was portrayed by the producers or whether it was a stitch up for dramatic effect is unknown to all but those ITK.

I had numerous conversations with Blades and other fans where the gist was “oh he’s the one on running his contract down on £70k a week at Sunderland while the staff were being fucked over”.

The facts presented in the Netflix series were that Sunderland gave him a contract but then expected him to walk away from it. Given his situation with injuries it’s completely understandable why he didn’t want to do that. There was no suggestion that he was refusing to play or anything like that, if there had even been a hint at that I don’t think Wilder would have signed him.

Why on earth is anyone below the first team squad worth another deal ?

If I’m coming across as his No.1 fan, then that is really not the case and Roygbiv may well dispel any (false) hope I have for the lad with his ‘view from the loans’, but he’s currently operating, along with C. Robinson, at the highest level of loan player we have.

I wouldn’t want his (or Rodwell’s) wage to be at a level that severely impacts the first team budget, but I feel we have 2 previously proven players we could contract down for a year and send out on loan (that’s the caveat) with a club option to extend.

I’d not give him another ‘see how it goes contract’ so in that respect I agree
One was a 7mil investment, the other nothing but a free gamble. You’re saying give him a year and loan him out. He’ll be 28... what are we expecting him to do? He’s hardly set the world alight at Boro.

We need to look no further than our mainstream media to see that with the use of editing (bits taken out or ignored and others left in, emphasised and repeated) they can change any news story to refect their own agenda.

For what it’s worth I don’t think Rodwell did anything wrong nor have I read anything negative about and suspect like others have said that it was more about the club or/and owner trying to shame him into correcting their mistake.

I have no doubt there was ‘selective editing’ as there always are in these things. It still doesn’t ignore the fact he chose to sit on a handsome wage and not play whilst the club headed to financial ruin. He’s more interestedin money than playing football.

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t knock people that do it at all, short career, get what you can. I just don’t really like those types of characters playing for United. Really don’t think any of our current squad could be accused of money over football, which I love! Think it’s the root of our success in truth.

I got the impression he was fit and willing to play but wasn't picked.
It looked like Sunderland were trying to force him out by not playing him.

The facts presented in the Netflix series were that Sunderland gave him a contract but then expected him to walk away from it. Given his situation with injuries it’s completely understandable why he didn’t want to do that. There was no suggestion that he was refusing to play or anything like that, if there had even been a hint at that I don’t think Wilder would have signed him.

It didn’t present them in a non-biased manner though did it? It was a good ‘sensational’ story for the series and as he didn’t defend himself it lead to a lot of people deciding he was being a bit of a twat. Personally I’m not sure how I would react in the same situation so won’t be too harsh on him.

He’s a prick. Get rid.

if you don’t hold this opinion, you don’t have Netflix.

Fuck that.

If my employer told me that they wanted me to go elsewhere, I wouldn't move until I'd got another job lined up.

If my employer said they didn't want me to do any work but we're still gonna pay me in full during this phase, I wouldn't really grumble too much

Rodwell is a seemingly decent player that cost nothing and probably isn't on massive wages.

If we don't extend I won't cry about it, if we do I'll understand why.

I think if we've got a smaller than anticipated budget, we'll still be going for the same targets as before the pandemic, but less of them, so if there's already some adequate back up here they'll stay rather than paying for someone new.

With all due respect he’s been a worthwhile gamble for me; but why on earth would Ravel Morrison be worth another year?
Ravel Morrison wouldn't get a game for York City! He's shit end of.

I got the impression he was fit and willing to play but wasn't picked.
It looked like Sunderland were trying to force him out by not playing him.

Not really got anything to do with the new owners. It was a catch 22 situation left by the previous owners.

Unless the new owners could cough up the money to pay Rodwells contract up then they were stuck with him. I doubt they could play him either as I assume he will be due bonus payments as well.

Wrong of the owners to make him out to be the bad guy. That said Rodwell could have a made some sort of gesture to help the club out or defer some of his wages especially as he only had a year or so left.

Maybe Jack did make a proposal? the documentary never went into enough detail about the situation.

I have no doubt there was ‘selective editing’ as there always are in these things. It still doesn’t ignore the fact he chose to sit on a handsome wage and not play whilst the club headed to financial ruin. He’s more interestedin money than playing football.

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t knock people that do it at all, short career, get what you can. I just don’t really like those types of characters playing for United. Really don’t think any of our current squad could be accused of money over football, which I love! Think it’s the root of our success in truth.

I’m pretty sure he didn’t refuse to play, ( I know you didn’t say that) If he had they wouldn’t have had to pay him.

Back
Top Bottom