Robinson on Saturday

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sheff de party

Reaction score
I think that’s the first time under Wilder that I’ve seen a lazy performance from someone. I’m being charitable excluding some of Madine’s efforts and Clarke often looked languid, but that’s just his style.

But Robinson simply was not putting the effort in on Saturday and he was lucky to make it past half time. We’re not a team that can take passengers effort-wise unless they score a lot of goals.

Looks low on confidence and I feel for the lad, but he has some talent. He just needed to cover more ground, put some tackles in and look more up for it. He was easy to deal with for them and rightly hooked.

Tin hat on. No I’m not writing him off/furthering an agenda/getting on his back for the sake of it :)

All I can think is he is carrying an injury still or is trying to avoid getting injured again. With injury issues he has had in the past maybe he is letting it get to him?

If that isn't the case then there are other strikers that should be playing. We can't afford to have a passenger at this level of football.

Lee Evans and David Brooks vs Barnsley a couple seasons ago were incredibly lazy performances.

I can't figure out what is going on with him. Looked like a right signing in pre season. Quick, energetic, tricky and skillful.

Now he doesn't seem able to beat a man and gives it away more than he creates anything. Granted the standard of opposition is higher than anything he has faced for a long time, but as a top end Champ player he should be stepping up like the rest have.

Needs a spell out of the team and to be used as an impact sub imo. Give Sharp the nod with McG or Mousse and we'll score more than we have been doing.

Agree that he looked exciting preseason. I was delighted when he scored his first preseason goal as I thought it would help him push on.

Had a chat with him when the kids were getting autographs outside the player's entrance and he seems like a genuinely nice lad. I really hope makes the step up, but agree that he looks a long way off Premier League quality at the moment.

I wouldn't say "disinterested" or "lazy", I think more lacking confidence. He could really do with a goal to give him a boost.

Wilder clearly sees that there's something there.

We definitely can’t afford to have any passengers at this level. When Chrissie thinks he’s made a mistake with a player he doesn’t usually hang about. If Robinson doesn’t shape up soon I think the JTW could be a ominous one for him.

Lazy now! What next?

Please note our forwards are under orders to hold position when better teams are trying to draw us onto them. Common sense, don't expose midfield. It changes when subs come on to battle back if needed late in the game so don't be naive.

Robinson is as genuine a player as they come.

Pepe, Coutinho, Bale, McBurnie, Lacazette, Stones, Walker, any number of really expensive players who are having a difficult time right now.

Our two new lads are triers if they are anything. Support don't demolish. Not every person is as resilient as Lundstran. Changing clubs is not easy, especially for forwards.

Lazy indeed. Embarrassing Blade.

The irony is that had their keeper not got that faint touch on that cross, Robinson would have been up and running.

The lad is young, relatively inexperienced and he might not make it in the P.L. just like so many costing five times more and loads more experienced.

Be a Blade. Support and embrace, don't knock the lads. They'll likely make you look daft in due course.

The manager is selecting the player and will not take kindly to having to leave him out to protect him from our fans. We are not Arsenal fans.

Lazy now! What next?

Please note our forwards are under orders to hold position when better teams are trying to draw us onto them. Common sense, don't expose midfield. It changes when subs come on to battle back if needed late in the game so don't be naive.

Pepe, Coutinho, Bale, McBurnie, Lacazette, Stones, Walker, any number of really expensive players who are having a difficult time right now.

Our two new lads are triers if they are anything. Support don't demolish. Not every person is as resilient as Lundstran. Changing clubs is not easy, especially for forwards.

The irony is that had their keeper not got that faint touch on that cross, Robinson would have been up and running.

The lad is young, relatively inexperienced and he might not make it in the P.L. just like so many costing five times more and loads more experienced.

Be a Blade. Support and embrace, don't knock the lads. They'll likely make you look daft in due course.

The manager is selecting the player and will not take kindly to having to leave him out to protect him from our fans. We are not Arsenal fans.

I agree we don’t need to be jumping on his back so quickly, but if you think Wilder would pick a team based on whether a player has taken some stick on this forum then I would disagree.

I agree we don’t need to be jumping on his back so quickly, but if you think Wilder would pick a team based on whether a player has taken some stick on this forum then I would disagree.

I don't.

He's a winger which means he enjoys getting the ball outwide in space and facing forward. As mentioned in other threads he is not strong enough to battle centrally upfront with back to goal. It's only natural he'd be frustrated playing in a position that he's not physically built for.

Would never call any player “lazy” But I don’t really see what he brings to the table. He must train very well because I must say apart from the Chelsea game he has been quite underwhelming. He’s definitely not a “quickie” like Mousset or a “fox in the box” like Billy, he hasn’t got the deft feet of Didzy. Even the big dozy Loiner has got a defined “target man” role.
So if the rumours are correct and we go for Ollie Watkins in Jan. I would say on early evidence the Robinson is looking the most dispensable.

"Lazy" isn't a matter of opinion in modern day football. Matt Prestridge will know exactly how far he's run and how much he's exerted himself. If he hasn't done enough, he'll be out.

Some of the stuff United fans were saying about him on Saturday was mind-blowing. Pure vitriol about one of our own players, I just don't get it.

That header on Saturday 🤣🤣 whether the keeper got a feint touch on it or not it’s incredible how he managed to actually head it clear.

These things do happen of course but I think overall it’s quite clear to see he is struggling in the role he has been given. If it persists then he could well be loaned out in January with a view to putting him in the window for a permanent move next year.

Lazy is not how I’d describe him but headless chicken is probably more correct from what I’ve seen. Runs around a lot and then looks very unsure what to do when he gets the ball.

I think that’s the first time under Wilder that I’ve seen a lazy performance from someone. I’m being charitable excluding some of Madine’s efforts and Clarke often looked languid, but that’s just his style.

But Robinson simply was not putting the effort in on Saturday and he was lucky to make it past half time. We’re not a team that can take passengers effort-wise unless they score a lot of goals.

Looks low on confidence and I feel for the lad, but he has some talent. He just needed to cover more ground, put some tackles in and look more up for it. He was easy to deal with for them and rightly hooked.

Tin hat on. No I’m not writing him off/furthering an agenda/getting on his back for the sake of it :)

I think it's a confidence problem with him. Let me talk about a very positive thing he did, a few weeks ago, when he scored that goal at Chelsea just after half-time. Did you see the expression on his face? Seriously, if you didn't, then it's worth taking another look at that. It was not one of "aggressive joy" like we see when most players score, it was one of, "how the f*ck did I just do that?". He stunned himself with that goal - and it was as if he couldn't believe it. That was the expression on his face. And to me that tells us a lot. The lad is still coming to terms with being a Premier League player. It's like he's been flown in from another planet and suddenly found himself here.

I don't think he's a bad footballer at all. And I was impressed by what I saw of him when he played for Preston. He was quick and willing to take men on and looked a threat. I know that was the Championship and this is the Premiership. But it's like he daren't even try some of that stuff now. He was doing it o.k. in pre-season wasn't he? And not all the teams we played were pub teams! So why isn't he doing it more now?

I think the lad has stage-fright, to put it mildly. The only thing I can suggest is that he gets some help to get his head around this. Because the thing about opportunities like this is they don't hang around forever. Over the course of 9 games he's gone from someone that most of us were saying..."he looks our best player" to "what does he offer?".

He seems like a really nice kid btw - perhaps a bit too nice? Whatever, I hope the lad gets a bit more of a vicious, winning streak in him, otherwise he'll be one of those that look back in a few years time and regret that he didn't make the most of the opportunity.

Does anyone know how his demeanour differs, if at all, for how he used to perform for PNE?

Also, what did they find his best position to be, cos I'm struggling to know where to fit him in at the min...

That header on Saturday 🤣🤣 whether the keeper got a feint touch on it or not it’s incredible how he managed to actually head it clear.

These things do happen of course but I think overall it’s quite clear to see he is struggling in the role he has been given. If it persists then he could well be loaned out in January with a view to putting him in the window for a permanent move next year.

Lazy is not how I’d describe him but headless chicken is probably more correct from what I’ve seen. Runs around a lot and then looks very unsure what to do when he gets the ball.
How is it incredible? He's committed to heading where the ball is going, any feint touch from the keeper is bound to make it come off the back of his head.

Does anyone know how his demeanour differs, if at all, for how he used to perform for PNE?

Also, what did they find his best position to be, cos I'm struggling to know where to fit him in at the min...

Few quotes in the view from Preston after we signed him said he was lightweight, couldn't run and looked uninterested. Alex Neil sorted that out and he became stronger and quicker.

Seems like we've gone back in time and signed him from that first few months at Preston.

From what little I saw Koz, he seemed to be most effective running at defenders creating space for a shot, and finding the net, but generally after the rest of the team had passed their way through, dragging the oppo defenders all over the place, allowing him to do his stuff. This relied on moving the ball quickly from defence to attack, something we haven't managed to master yet this season. To be fair though, we didn't do that last season either much of the time. I just don't think he fits our system.

I'm sure you'd be a bit below part if you been rightly hooked. I've took a few of them, they hurt! 😜

He looked disconnected Saturday, caught in two minds where to be and ending up in no man's land and being ineffective, my first thoughts were he looked like he couldn't be arsed chasing the ball down. I think there is more to it than that.

I've seen something similar with a few of the U11's that we train, when they are not confident, they overthink and can't make a correct decision and their legs are heavy, score a goal and you see the change, suddenly they are more confident, faster, try taking a man on and generally 'on it'. I appreciate he's a professional but confidence in sports people is massive and I think he may be struggling with the step up slightly and being on the worldwide stage, compared with his last job.

How is it incredible? He's committed to heading where the ball is going, any feint touch from the keeper is bound to make it come off the back of his head.
I agree,he's so close to the keeper that the slightest deviation takes it away...and no way can he have time to adjust...On another day,no touch from the Keeper and it's in the back of the net and we're all heaping the praise.
It's not really happening for him at the moment,but I still think he can come good from what I've seen in the past...hopefully he'll bring it soon,or could drop down the packing order.

From where I'm sat the problem is he doesn't look like a striker to me. Think of half a dozen attributes you are looking for from a striker and he doesn't tick any of the boxes. If we're going to be relying on him for goals then we'd better have plan B alongside him and a plan C ready on the bench. That said, he does look like a clever footballer running with the ball rather than waiting to receive it and there is still a vacancy in the attacking midfield department. However, it appears that the flat three is here to stay so that leaves him in no-mans land for the foreseeable future unfortunately.

Agree with OP. Robinson's not doing the bare minimum and putting the effort in to defend from the front and close defenders down.
Both him and McBurnie haven't impressed so far but McBurnie is at least doing the bare minimum and grafting a bit.

We've barely seen him come off the bench.

He needs to start coming off the bench, when we're on the front foot, when opponents are tired, to see if he can have an impact that way and build confidence.

We might also want to consider trying to sort his hamstring out properly?

Lazy now! What next?

Sorry but I don’t buy into this “be a Blade, back the team regardless” mentality. They get paid a lot of money to do something I’d kill to be able to do.

Contrast the amount of effort Sharp put in with Robinson’s contribution on Saturday.

I’m not going to slam players for missing chances or making mistakes. You don’t see me calling for McGoldrick’s head or dissecting every goal we concede.

But he didn’t close anyone down, barely showed for the ball and looked completely uninterested for much of the game. I’ve been so positive on here I get called a clapper, but Robinson’s effort wasn’t good enough on Saturday and the timing of his substitution is evidence of that.

In my book - Robinson is - lightweight, half hearted, compare Goldy as regards closing down, Goldy literally attacks the opposition, properly panics them and gets his foot in. Robinson slows down the closer he gets to the opposition, its cringeworthy. If I was Chris on Saturday I would have wanted to hook him after 20 mins, I thought he looked terrible. I don't see it as a lack of effort I see it as a proper flaw, he's ineffectual.

Saying that I would never advocate letting him know whilst on the pitch, thats plain wrong, but he needs to be shown how Goldy and Lunny get stuck in and try to match it.

Back
Top Bottom