Right....I'm over it

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Boroblade1889

Reaction score
I can’t go on like this, time to give me head a shake.

58 years old & I've been acting like it’s a bereavement!

Days and days of lounging around in my lockdown ‘jamas, 30 fags and 12 cans of wife beater a day,
curtains shut, constantly refreshing football websites, fans forums, more twitter feeds than you can shake a shitty stick at, to try and find out why Chrissy’s gone and what was the Owner and boards’ part in it -if any.

Well, enough’s enough, it’s football innit.

Great Managers come - eventually, they leave
Crap Managers come - eventually, they leave

Same for Owners, Chairmen, CEO’s, Boards, and players.

The only constant is the fans. Regardless of where we are in the football cycle, we turn up in numbers.
I’ve had just as much fun at Hartlepool away as Chelsea away and if in the future the football gods decide we are away at Inter Milan in the Champs League or Kings Lynn in the Vanarama National League, the away ends will be rammed and the bars full and spilling out onto the street.

Cos its’ the Blades innit…it’s what we do

Here’s to the future, pass me a Stella

BB

I can’t go on like this, time to give me head a shake.

58 years old & I've been acting like it’s a bereavement!

Days and days of lounging around in my lockdown ‘jamas, 30 fags and 12 cans of wife beater a day,
curtains shut, constantly refreshing football websites, fans forums, more twitter feeds than you can shake a shitty stick at, to try and find out why Chrissy’s gone and what was the Owner and boards’ part in it -if any.

Well, enough’s enough, it’s football innit.

Great Managers come - eventually, they leave
Crap Managers come - eventually, they leave

Same for Owners, Chairmen, CEO’s, Boards, and players.

The only constant is the fans. Regardless of where we are in the football cycle, we turn up in numbers.
I’ve had just as much fun at Hartlepool away as Chelsea away and if in the future the football gods decide we are away at Inter Milan in the Champs League or Kings Lynn in the Vanarama National League, the away ends will be rammed and the bars full and spilling out onto the street.

Cos its’ the Blades innit…it’s what we do

Here’s to the future, pass me a Stella

BB
Indeed! Love the away days which I’ve hugely missed since promotion, A lot to be said for Rochdale away!, best corned beef hash pie and chips at the pub next to the ground. More blades fans that home fans. So the next poll... best and worst away day footie food, when and where.
Mine, the aforementioned Rochdale, lost 2:0 match highlight Cuvelier hit the bar.! Worst.. Coventry, dreadful soggy burger outside that soulless ground.. lost 3:1 two down after eight minutes. Match highlight.. Bill scored if I remember right. Brigg Town away or Barcelona either way I’ll be there.

Indeed! Love the away days which I’ve hugely missed since promotion, A lot to be said for Rochdale away!, best corned beef hash pie and chips at the pub next to the ground. More blades fans that home fans. So the next poll... best and worst away day footie food, when and where.
Mine, the aforementioned Rochdale, lost 2:0 match highlight Cuvelier hit the bar.! Worst.. Coventry, dreadful soggy burger outside that soulless ground.. lost 3:1 two down after eight minutes. Match highlight.. Bill scored if I remember right. Brigg Town away or Barcelona either way I’ll be there.
Fish and chips shop next to the Crewe ground always used to be great. The worst can’t be anything other than a £12 burger and chips at Wembley.

I’ll be happy to see some Championship football next season. More games, more goals and more wins (hopefully). The PL is an elitist private members club that always destroys us. We are more of a working mens club (sorry Prince, that wasn’t a dig at our shite training facilities). Just need to fix our roof.

First post for a few days.

I think it is good to take a little time out without making a tit of yourself too much on message boards. I'm keen to have an interest in the cup run but might steer clear of the right or wrong debate. Far too draining.

I'm heading towards acceptance but the more that comes out, the more this parting of the ways just seems bizarre. Here's three titbits:

1. Results were not the driving issue. Prince already said he would accept losing every game and keeping Wilder.

2. Most local press are confirming no plans to have a Director of Football. So the idea that Chris was going to be totally undermined by having someone come in above him and buy his players for him seems wide of the mark.

3. Today and in the statement (and I appreciate actions > words) we commit to keeping the core together including Berge unless some wacky offer comes in and that isn't "here, thanks for bedding him in and establishing he can play at this level, here's your money back." I do hope if Liverpool come knocking we point out they thought 23m was a fair fee for a guy who can't get in our team.

So without these three what agreements could not be settled?

1. Board wants to widen recruitment net. If this leads to players of good enough quality coming in why would this be an issue? Or should I say, how was this presented to be an issue to fall out over? There's an Argentinian lad, plays in Spain, but he's never played in the Champ. Does Wilder knock him back? I think not. So how could extending the scouting and sourcing be delivered or taken in a fashion that would cause a parting?

2. Training facilities. I get that having one for the first team is not enough with 25 players. Could they seriously not have collectively acknowledged the need to extend, but confirmed perhaps a delayed timeline? It was ok to get us up through the Champ, where we will be once more. From a pragmatic sense, could they not simply stagger the timings in the meantime? U18s train at 8am for instance. U23s train after lunch so in the mornings first team had free run on all pitches. Is that really so difficult to arrange and accept? Was Chris not involved enough in the financial discussions? Surely the impact of covid and plans should have been properly shared? If not, so very silly.

3. Broken promises. I can see this being an issue of trust. But there should have been some wiggle room. Saying to the manager in December you can have 2 loans then going back on this was poor from the Prince. Also trying to soften this by saying other January deals, for which Wilder may have had less involvement (Zivkovic, Retsos), didn't work was also clumsy and bad form and not acknowledging the excellent deals made to get us here. But for a pragmatic manager, we'll not go down by a point like in 06/07. We'll be down with 6 matches to go. There was some merit to say spend in July not January. But perhaps that was imposed rather than agreed? Chris then digging out the Board on sticking to the plan and coming out like a threat was also ill advised. Likewise you could argue buying Berge was not in the budgetary plan either. Neither was signing McBurnie if it was up to McCabe. So the plan apparently is flexible when it needs to be!

It just seems we've lost our best managerial option because two proud headstrong characters were not prepared to compromise on almost trivial matters in the end for the good of the club as a Championship club in 2021/22.

So why did Wilder leave Dad? Oh, we were a couple of pitches short and the manager and owner said a few bad things to each other when we were losing. All seems very immature and unnecessary.

On to Chelsea...

First post for a few days.

I think it is good to take a little time out without making a tit of yourself too much on message boards. I'm keen to have an interest in the cup run but might steer clear of the right or wrong debate. Far too draining.

I'm heading towards acceptance but the more that comes out, the more this parting of the ways just seems bizarre. Here's three titbits:

1. Results were not the driving issue. Prince already said he would accept losing every game and keeping Wilder.

2. Most local press are confirming no plans to have a Director of Football. So the idea that Chris was going to be totally undermined by having someone come in above him and buy his players for him seems wide of the mark.

3. Today and in the statement (and I appreciate actions > words) we commit to keeping the core together including Berge unless some wacky offer comes in and that isn't "here, thanks for bedding him in and establishing he can play at this level, here's your money back." I do hope if Liverpool come knocking we point out they thought 23m was a fair fee for a guy who can't get in our team.

So without these three what agreements could not be settled?

1. Board wants to widen recruitment net. If this leads to players of good enough quality coming in why would this be an issue? Or should I say, how was this presented to be an issue to fall out over? There's an Argentinian lad, plays in Spain, but he's never played in the Champ. Does Wilder knock him back? I think not. So how could extending the scouting and sourcing be delivered or taken in a fashion that would cause a parting?

2. Training facilities. I get that having one for the first team is not enough with 25 players. Could they seriously not have collectively acknowledged the need to extend, but confirmed perhaps a delayed timeline? It was ok to get us up through the Champ, where we will be once more. From a pragmatic sense, could they not simply stagger the timings in the meantime? U18s train at 8am for instance. U23s train after lunch so in the mornings first team had free run on all pitches. Is that really so difficult to arrange and accept? Was Chris not involved enough in the financial discussions? Surely the impact of covid and plans should have been properly shared? If not, so very silly.

3. Broken promises. I can see this being an issue of trust. But there should have been some wiggle room. Saying to the manager in December you can have 2 loans then going back on this was poor from the Prince. Also trying to soften this by saying other January deals, for which Wilder may have had less involvement (Zivkovic, Retsos), didn't work was also clumsy and bad form and not acknowledging the excellent deals made to get us here. But for a pragmatic manager, we'll not go down by a point like in 06/07. We'll be down with 6 matches to go. There was some merit to say spend in July not January. But perhaps that was imposed rather than agreed? Chris then digging out the Board on sticking to the plan and coming out like a threat was also ill advised. Likewise you could argue buying Berge was not in the budgetary plan either. Neither was signing McBurnie if it was up to McCabe. So the plan apparently is flexible when it needs to be!

It just seems we've lost our best managerial option because two proud headstrong characters were not prepared to compromise on almost trivial matters in the end for the good of the club as a Championship club in 2021/22.

So why did Wilder leave Dad? Oh, we were a couple of pitches short and the manager and owner said a few bad things to each other when we were losing. All seems very immature and unnecessary.

On to Chelsea...

I suspect there was also frustration on CW's part from the club failing to land his top targets, who were reportedly - Watkins (£32m / (£80k/week); Wilson (£20m/£75k/week, Eze (£20m/£50k/week?), Barkley (£100k+/week). CW always maintained he would never put the club's future in doubt so he obviously felt the outlay (all figures are estimated btw), and the resulting uplift on the remaining wage bill, was affordable.

I’ll be happy to see some Championship football next season. More games, more goals and more wins (hopefully). The PL is an elitist private members club that always destroys us. We are more of a working mens club (sorry Prince, that wasn’t a dig at our shite training facilities). Just need to fix our roof.
... and no VAR?

I suspect there was also frustration on CW's part from the club failing to land his top targets, who were reportedly - Watkins (£32m / (£80k/week); Wilson (£20m/£75k/week, Eze (£20m/£50k/week?), Barkley (£100k+/week). CW always maintained he would never put the club's future in doubt so he obviously felt the outlay (all figures are estimated btw), and the resulting uplift on the remaining wage bill, was affordable.
Perhaps so. But that was way back in September. So there was plenty of time to get over this issue.

Wilder was even saying best window so far.

I disagree but I also see what he tried to do. Unable to afford Watkins and Cash, he effectively bought a Watkins and Cash equivalent as he saw it but perhaps 1-2 years further back in development. It would take time to integrate and what let the plan down was the injuries. It's arguable whether Rammers will ever be as good as Henderson but you can't deny he's made some positive steps the past month or so after a rocky start. These guys just needed more development in them.

It just seems bizarre that, 2 months until the end of the season when we will be a Championship team next season, that wages we paid in the season ending would be seen as a deal breaker. I'd got the impression that Chris had level set that next year was going to be a Championship season.

Even today, and you can understand the club for putting it out, there are articles on their commitment to improving the facilities.

Maybe time v money was the issue. Chris wasn't seeing enough of the evidence and the Prince didn't have access to the cash or desire to make it happen quicker.

This is another pitfall of foreign ownership. With the evolving covid situation, any impact to plans should have been a constant dialogue and this is where Bettis failed. He was supposed to be the link between the two and given that relationship broke down, surely some of that is on him too.

It just seems the barometer between time v money didn't sit in the right place. Chris would have wanted tangible progress on a number of items which would cost money. With the uncertainty of the pandemic maybe Prince Abdulla reigned in too much and this was received as a lack of visible backing.

Either way, it is a massive failing on all parties and the ones to suffer, potentially, are the fans.

Totally, a failure on both sides to communicate. I’m a teacher and it resembles a couple of kids bickering. That said, we aren’t ready for the PL and need to update our facilities and mindset before we have another crack at the big time.

Can’t take anything away from Wilder, he’s been amazing over the past few years. The football we played prior to our premiership journey was the most entertaining I’ve watched.

He had such a great relationship with the fans and with him in charge it literally felt like ‘one of own’ mates doing the dream job.

This season it’s not been good and I’ve not enjoyed his constant digs at everyone other than looking at the mistakes he’s made and the bad decisions he’s made too.

4 great seasons is the main thing though. It’s never pretty at the end unless he retired like Sir Alex on a high

I agree. The man’s a legend! I enjoyed watching us prove (for one season) that it’s not all about money and big names. In context, the man has had half a bad season in 20 years. And that was during a pandemic with no fans. He is a very good manager and will be missed.

Perhaps so. But that was way back in September. So there was plenty of time to get over this issue.

Wilder was even saying best window so far.

I disagree but I also see what he tried to do. Unable to afford Watkins and Cash, he effectively bought a Watkins and Cash equivalent as he saw it but perhaps 1-2 years further back in development. It would take time to integrate and what let the plan down was the injuries. It's arguable whether Rammers will ever be as good as Henderson but you can't deny he's made some positive steps the past month or so after a rocky start. These guys just needed more development in them.

It just seems bizarre that, 2 months until the end of the season when we will be a Championship team next season, that wages we paid in the season ending would be seen as a deal breaker. I'd got the impression that Chris had level set that next year was going to be a Championship season.

Even today, and you can understand the club for putting it out, there are articles on their commitment to improving the facilities.

Maybe time v money was the issue. Chris wasn't seeing enough of the evidence and the Prince didn't have access to the cash or desire to make it happen quicker.

This is another pitfall of foreign ownership. With the evolving covid situation, any impact to plans should have been a constant dialogue and this is where Bettis failed. He was supposed to be the link between the two and given that relationship broke down, surely some of that is on him too.

It just seems the barometer between time v money didn't sit in the right place. Chris would have wanted tangible progress on a number of items which would cost money. With the uncertainty of the pandemic maybe Prince Abdulla reigned in too much and this was received as a lack of visible backing.

Either way, it is a massive failing on all parties and the ones to suffer, potentially, are the fans.

This is the strange thing
He knows the financial constraints
He's always known it
He's relayed that to the fans constantly
He's repeatedly said he won't break the wage structure
He's repeatedly said he'll treat the clubs money like it is his own

And we're now led to believe that the club is not going down the DOF route.

And there's not going to be a firesale

The question has to be " What the bleeding 'ell exactly has happened"

Last edited:
This is the strange thing
He knows the financial constraints
He's always known it
He's relayed that to the fans constantly
He's repeatedly said he won't break the wage structure
He's repeatedly said he'll treat the clubs money like it is his own

And we're now led to believe that the club is not going down the DOF route.

And there's not going to be a firesale

The question has to be " What the bleeding 'ell exactly has happened"

The answer is beautifully simple.

Fuck knows.

The same has it always been for us Blades. Great managers Harris/Basset/Wilder go. best players get sold. Jones Currie Deano to name a few and as usual Board of directors fuck it up. Berge, Egan O, Connell will be sold when fit. then basement purchases crap players. same old same old.i,m not going told hold my breath for a quick return to the prem. most of the money that Wilder has spent this season was tv money from Sky etc. Chris Wilder expected that Prince to back him and buy the players he wanted to buy. this was promised and has now been reneged on. that prince promised to buy the players to keep us in the prem.it is plain to see most of the players Wilder wanted went to villa because they outbid us. where did they finish last season 4th from bottom on goal difference. this season probably
Top ten finish. and we will finish bottom. this is my humble opinion.

Back
Top Bottom