CONFIRMED Ricky Holmes

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
Lad on Bladesmad has posted this morning and seems certain he will be next to join....could be BS

Sorry, missed this thread and posted on the left footed midfielders thread

See below:

Ricky Holmes of Northampton looks like he's both footed

Seen a few of his goals and well ........................:)

Rumour on BM that he's on his way. Doesn't reveal his source but read post 6.

Lge 2 team of the year

Interesting if true

http://boards.footymad.net/sheffieldunited-mad/2109325933/#b5bXmBB6BD2gy4wO.97

Well he's obviously right footed (always look to see what foot a player dribbles with, you see the penalties there too) but he's clearly more than capable with his left as well.

He wouldn't be the left footed midfielder Wilder wants, I think he meant central midfielder in which case John Fleck seems a very likely target - especially as he can also attack and defend which is something Wilder mentioned.

Holmes is 29 this month but like Duffy, isn't heavily reliant on pace and has at least 2/3 good years left in him - he could probably play in the Championship now. His technical ability is his strength and he can run with the ball at full speed, even if he isn't that quick.

Also another set piece taker which is a big plus, we've already signed at least one of them.

If we sign Chris Taylor, which I hope we do, then maybe having three wingers pushing 30 would be a bit much but I wouldn't be against it, they're all players in their prime who can get us up next season and who'll be good for another 2/3 years.

Holmes has another year on his contract so I think he'd cost about 300k. I wouldn't want to go too far above that.

Well he's obviously right footed (always look to see what foot a player dribbles with, you see the penalties there too) but he's clearly more than capable with his left as well.

He wouldn't be the left footed midfielder Wilder wants, I think he meant central midfielder in which case John Fleck seems a very likely target - especially as he can also attack and defend which is something Wilder mentioned.

Holmes is 29 this month but like Duffy, isn't heavily reliant on pace and has at least 2/3 good years left in him - he could probably play in the Championship now. His technical ability is his strength and he can run with the ball at full speed, even if he isn't that quick.

Also another set piece taker which is a big plus, we've already signed at least one of them.

If we sign Chris Taylor, which I hope we do, then maybe having three wingers pushing 30 would be a bit much but I wouldn't be against it, they're all players in their prime who can get us up next season and who'll be good for another 2/3 years.

Holmes has another year on his contract so I think he'd cost about 300k. I wouldn't want to go too far above that.

Why is John Fleck a very likely target? What, of note, has he ever achieved apart from making our fax machine an exceedingly boring topic of conversation?

I suspect you are really saying you would like him to be a target. If so, that's a very different thing. I disagree. He's a complete mediocrity and ought to be avoided.

Addendum: Just checked his attacking prowess: A grand total of 10 career goals in 9 star-studded years. Oh, and he's 5 foot 6. That'll be four "No"s from the common sense jury.

Last edited:
Why is John Fleck a very likely target? What, of note, has he ever achieved apart from making our fax machine an exceedingly boring topic of conversation?

I suspect you are really saying you would like him to be a target. If so, that's a very different thing. I disagree. He's a complete mediocrity and ought to be avoided.

Addendum: Just checked his attacking prowess: A grand total of 10 career goals in 9 star-studded years. Oh, and he's 5 foot 6. That'll be four "No"s from the common sense jury.

You said you listened to Wilder's interview.

He said he wants a left footed midfielder.

He said, much to your delight, that he expects them to be able to attack and defend.

Fleck's left footed.

He can attack and defend - passing and creating is part of attacking.

He's out of contract.

He won Coventry's player of the season award.

I'd prefer someone more athletic but he's a good player, especially on a free so he's worth considering.

He's 28 YB.
I'd rather have someone in his prime than get a young prospect that we have to wait 2-3 years before he reaches his potential.

Nearly 29, unlike Duffy, Holmes is unproven at League One level. I just think if we are going for players unproven that this level they might as well be a bit younger with the potential to make it at Championship level and above.

If this was Adkins making these type of signings everyone would be moaning about not signing young hungry players. I'm not saying we shouldn't sign experience, but we have done that with Duffy.

Last edited:

He said, much to your delight, that he expects them to be able to attack and defend.

Fleck's left footed.

He can attack and defend.

He's out of contract.

I'd prefer someone more athletic but he's a good player, especially on a free so he's worth considering.

He's rhubarb. Please see the addendum to my previous post and reflect on whether he can attack or defend. As for being Cov's player of the year, well...

Fleck off.

He's rhubarb. Please see the addendum to my previous post and reflect on whether he can attack or defend. As for being Cov's player of the year, well...

Fleck off.

See my edit. Not scoring many goals doesn't mean a midfielder doesn't contribute to the attack. Four goals last season isn't bad anyway - and the most recent season is always the most relevant.

Coventry also had Adam Armstrong and Jacob Murphy by the way.

Last edited:
I looked at highlights of him from last season and he looks quality tbh, he is certainly a both footed player but uses his right foot abit more but he is a goal scoring midfielder which is what we need.

Fleck's left footed.

He's out of contract.

Left footed midfield players that Wilder might be aware of will definitely include Graham Carey at Plymouth. Only problem is he's under contract, so might cost a bit.

Fleck's left footed.

He's out of contract.

I'm with Pinchy on this one.

Left footed midfield players that Wilder might be aware of will definitely include Graham Carey at Plymouth. Only problem is he's under contract, so might cost a bit.

Yes, it's just whether he's the sort of midfielder Wilder's talking about, because he's a left winger or number 10.

If we had him and Holmes in the team they could switch between left wing and number 10. I'd like to see that. Both players have a lot of quality.

See my edit. Not scoring many goals doesn't mean a midfielder doesn't contribute to the attack. Four goals last season isn't bad anyway - and the most recent season is always the most relevant.

Coventry also had Adam Armstrong and Jacob Murphy by the way.

How is your last paragraph of the remotest relevance?

Anyway, we have your view that you want a non-scoring dwarf in our midfield because he's left footed. You regard a career-best haul of 4 goals in a season from central midfield as not bad and see Coventry as a role model. Noted.

I'm really not sure the recent influx (with the exception of Mr. Whitehouse) from T.I.L.D has enhanced this forum (actually I'm 100% certain, but I wouldn't want to offend anyone..)

How is your last paragraph of the remotest relevance?

Anyway, we have your view that you want a non-scoring dwarf in our midfield because he's left footed. You regard a career-best haul of 4 goals in a season from central midfield as not bad and see Coventry as a role model. Noted.

I'm really not sure the recent influx (with the exception of Mr. Whitehouse) from T.I.L.D has enhanced this forum (actually I'm 100% certain, but I wouldn't want to offend anyone..)

Oh dear, do I have to spell that out for you... OK. Armstrong and Murphy had fairly impressive seasons, certainly Armstrong who got in team of the season, yet Fleck's beat him to their player of the season award.

I've not said I want him, you've said that. You're also making up the bit about seeing Coventry as a role model, but it's OK, I understand why you feel the need to do that.

I've said that he's a likely target, all things considered. I've only said that he's worth consideration.

At least none of the posters you talk about stubbornly dismiss any talk of tactics etc simply because they're incapable of grasping it themselves!

Fleck off.
Fleck off. :D

Seems like they beat us to the signing of Revell (probably because they guaranteed him first team football) so it's not surprising it's proving difficult to get them to release their best player to a rival club.

Could be a long summer, good job we got Duffy and Hussey early doors or this forum would be in melt down by now !

Revell has talked about linking up with Holmes, so doesn't sound like the club are expecting to sell him.

Last night I read that Holmes has told the fans that he'll be there still next season.

Looking likely that another one bites the dust then :(
We can all debate whether we did really show an interest in these players, only a few people know the truth but reading between the lines it does sound like we were in for Holmes.
It's hard for the club though because forums like this throw 100 names in the air and for everyone we don't sign or that gets snapped up elsewhere we get more nervous and on edge.
Wilder talks about personalities, they could be Ronaldo- if they don't want to play for us, they are a waste of time.

Back
Top Bottom