CONFIRMED Ricky Holmes

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Is really what we need? Personally I would have brought in a CM playmaker, since we are devoid in that area. Team needs more balance

Based on what? One good performance at the Lane for Charlton? He’s never even played at Championship level and last season was his first season above League Two level.

At 30, I can take or leave signing him to be honest. He might do very well for us, but he’s far from a sure thing.

Unless we’re going to sign proven Championship quality (which we aren’t), I'd rather we looked to sign younger players with a point to prove and the potential to improve.

We're signing a mix with the accent on younger hungry players.

Always need a mix of experience.

Wilder fully gets the need for experience. His Northampton squad average age was 28.

I do think given a run in the team Carruthers would show his ability and win over a few fans. Very few players ever look good with the odd cameo off the bench here and there, however with Duffy having a decent season it’s difficult to see Samir getting a run in the team.

Personally I wouldn’t be keen on letting Carruthers go in exchange for a 30 year old that’s never played at Championship level before. But the problem is Wilder is shopping at Aldi whilst our rivals are shopping at Waitrose, so what can he do?
So you don’t think CW really, really wanted Leonard and Holmes, you think he’s having to make do because we can’t “shop at Waitrose” like Birmingham, Sheffield Wednesday, etc? If only we could afford someone like Jordan Fucking Rhodes, the moaners might be happy then,

In a realistic world I think Wilder as been well backed by the board in this window - lets give credit where it's due.

He has been after Leonard and Holmes.of last summer and couldn't get them in place for one reason or another. Now one window on, he's got his original targets in place all in the first half of the window. No one can accuse Utd of 'fannying about' this time. Credit to all concerned re the Board who provided the money, Wilder, Knill and the scouting team, and Bettis and Shieber for getting the financial side of the deals negotiated & agreed quickly.

Wilder wanted these lads and he's been allowed to get them in. No wonder he sounded so chipper recently. Short of giving him Wilder a serious amount of money to spend (which we don't have) i don't see that Wilder would have wanted to shop at Waitrose anyhow. He's got his preferred targets.

I look at the squad now and the squad we had just over 18 months ago with the likes of Hammond and Woolford in it and its like it was all a very bad dream. Wilder has done a phenomenal job.

He is exactly what we want a striker that will run at defences. Like Fleck did just before half time against the pigs. Pretty good with the dead ball too. A very much needed acquisition
He’s not a striker, but agreed apart from that

Aren't Fleck and Lundstram playmakers?

I think he's exactly what we need. The Pigs defence was so deep on Friday that there was big gap between midfield and forwards. We needed someone to one at them to try and draw them out

Remember how that odious Pig Wallace caused us problems on Friday night, tying our defenders in knots on a couple of occasions and having the ability to whip in a dangerous cross/shot...? That's what Holmes does, just as well, if not better.

Duffy is more than capable of tying defenders in knots but can lack the final killer pass and is guilty of looking for a colleague out wide when he should be having a pop at goal....and when he does have a shot, (Bouncing day apart) his shooting can be wayward.

Remember how that odious Pig Wallace caused us problems on Friday night, tying our defenders in knots on a couple of occasions and having the ability to whip in a dangerous cross/shot...? That's what Holmes does, just as well, if not better.

Duffy is more than capable of tying defenders in knots but can lack the final killer pass and is guilty of looking for a colleague out wide when he should be having a pop at goal....and when he does have a shot, (Bouncing day apart) his shooting can be wayward.

Daft thread but excellent post.

Of course it matters. If Utd paid £750k it means they have £550k less of the budget to spend elsewhere than if they'd paid £200k - that could equate to a large part of Leonard's or Evans' fees or Wilson's wages. CW obviously doesn't have a bottomless pit - are you sure you'd be happy if one (or more) of those players couldn't be afforded as a result of over paying for Holmes? Possibly an even dafter comment than your one suggesting Carruthers is released

I stand by my comment - it doesn't matter. We are not talking millions here we are talking a few hundred grand which is a pittance in today's market.

Nobody and I mean nobody (including myself) on here has a clue about player valuation. We read papers and valuations from other fan fora :rolleyes: to get a figure.
A player's worth is determined by how much a club wants him. We needed Holmes and we've paid his true value - whatever that is!

Oh and while were at it RELEASE CARRUTHERS HE'S SHITE (sorry Samir only joking)

So where the fuck is he?

There’s a Holmes is a wanker thread waiting with his name on it...

Radio Sheffield said this morning that it expects Holmes to be confirmed at some point today.

On a further point mentioned above; Wilder has done exceptionally well since his arrival. With a modest budget, he must have increased the value of our squad from players hardly anyone wanted to over 20 million quid (my guesstimate). In today’s madness, it may be worth even more !

Radio Sheffield said this morning that it expects Holmes to be confirmed at some point today.

On a further point mentioned above; Wilder has done exceptionally well since his arrival. With a modest budget, he must have increased the value of our squad from players hardly anyone wanted to over 20 million quid (my guesstimate). In today’s madness, it may be worth even more !
We could sell em all and buy Rhodes

£50m plus I'd say !

I do wonder why Samir was not Built in as part of the deal?, Karl Robinson said Chris Wilder was interested, but then it changed and the deal would be cash only around the 400k mark.

I cant with all the new requirements, see Samir getting a route back into the first team now, so going to Charlton and re-uniting with Robinson seems like it would have made sense.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/foo...player-as-part-of-ricky-holmes-deal-1-8956654

Back
Top Bottom