Resale value

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

mancunianblade

Reaction score
Playing back the whole we are aiming to recruit players with resale value so had a look on Transfermarkt and Wiki to see how well we’ve done this to date because I don’t recall too much of such businesses and whilst there is an element of bad luck, we don’t exactly have form for this.

Firstly the figures on transfermarkt are a touch iffy however the trends seems to be pretty accurate, this is based on signing players for substantial fees who then moved on for larger fees, there is no questioning we do well with developing young players and making decent figures off them.

But anyway this is what I found post 1990

Ramsdale bought for £20m sold for £28m
Claude David bought for £3.5m sold for £2.5m
Brian Deane £45k sold for £2.9m
Jan aage Fjortoft £900k sold for £1.1k
Che Adams £150k sold for £2m
Michael Brown £400k sold for £500k 🥴
Marcus Bent £300k sold for £2m
Olivier Tebily £200k sold for £1.25m
Who am I missing?

We made a loss on Deane the second time, Beattie who I thought we made money on we didn’t it seemed and of course Billy Sharp twice!

Ched would have fetched a large fee hence me saying unlucky but with Berge likely to leave for 50% of what we paid or maybe even 0%, dread to think what Brewsters current market value is, McBurnies is low. Mousset and Freeman left on frees and I don’t think we will ever know what the Robinson deal was.

If we were to sell all the first team members who would we make a profit on? Ndaiye and RND are graduates so don’t count

Anel for sure
Egan and Baldock maybe? Although they’re now 30 with 1 year left on their deals.

Playing back the whole we are aiming to recruit players with resale value so had a look on Transfermarkt and Wiki to see how well we’ve done this to date because I don’t recall too much of such businesses and whilst there is an element of bad luck, we don’t exactly have form for this.

Firstly the figures on transfermarkt are a touch iffy however the trends seems to be pretty accurate, this is based on signing players for substantial fees who then moved on for larger fees, there is no questioning we do well with developing young players and making decent figures off them.

Who am I missing?

We made a loss on Deane the second time, Beattie who I thought we made money on we didn’t it seemed and of course Billy Sharp twice!

Ched would have fetched a large fee hence me saying unlucky but with Berge likely to leave for 50% of what we paid or maybe even 0%, dread to think what Brewsters current market value is, McBurnies is low. Mousset and Freeman left on frees and I don’t think we will ever know what the Robinson deal was.

If we were to sell all the first team members who would we make a profit on? Ndaiye and RND are graduates so don’t count

Anel for sure
Egan and Baldock maybe? Although they’re now 30 with 1 year left on their deals.
We're only just reaching this modern, sensible business type approach to transfers though. We've generally always been cobbling together and loaning players.

Can't judge us on the past with this topic.

I'm absolutely certain we could get above £5m for Egan! 100% right now if we wanted.

Ok, name a buyer? I love what Egan's done for the club, and his attributes have value in our system - he's basically just asked to defend in the centre of a three, where he does not have to utilise fairly limited athleticism, which has seen at least one red card when he's been isolated against anyone with pace. I'd hate to see him in a flat back four right now. He's also 31 in October. I'm not sure that there are that many buyers who are both playing three at the back and are also going to chuck down that sort of money for someone who is basically at a one last contract stage. He's one where I'm happy if he retires at the club and/or leaves when he physically can't go at the level we play at any more and sod the concept of resale value

Ok, name a buyer? I love what Egan's done for the club, and his attributes have value in our system - he's basically just asked to defend in the centre of a three, where he does not have to utilise fairly limited athleticism, which has seen at least one red card when he's been isolated against anyone with pace. I'd hate to see him in a flat back four right now. He's also 31 in October. I'm not sure that there are that many buyers who are both playing three at the back and are also going to chuck down that sort of money for someone who is basically at a one last contract stage. He's one where I'm happy if he retires at the club and/or leaves when he physically can't go at the level we play at any more and sod the concept of resale value
To be fair his age has crept up slightly on me, but for £5m? Southampton, Leeds, Leicester, Luton, Burnley, Everton and probably more in England (regardless of back 4/5 - pocket change for a good defender even if just a sub). Celtic, Rangers (maybe too pricey), probably some Italian teams... even Saudi they must need defenders over there as well.

He's a mainstay international defender with two Prem promotions and a top half Prem finish under his belt.

I'd be absolutely stunned if we couldn't flog him easily.

Who am I missing?

Anel for sure

We could've sold JOC, Stevens, Fleck, Egan,Basham, Baldock Norwood,Sharp, Mcgoldrick etc for profits if we hadn't kept them imo. Keeping players past peak valuation is another argument altogether. Anybody remember Leon Clarke to Villa for 5 million?

Adams, Murphy, Lee Evans and a host of academy players have gone for profits. Some of these academy lads were signed very late in their development, sometimes for fees, so could arguably be included. But yeah it's not a great record.

Nobody is paying £4m for Egan
Pretty sure Moyes still has tabs on him.
And Id expect £4m plus at present.

Only 18 months ago he was touted more like 8-10m

Does the acedemy count?

Jagielka, Tonge, Ramsdale, the tyle Kyles, Slew, Lyle Taylor all got in the millions.

Comedy hour is it?

Nope, as stated in a future post I really don't see where there is a buyer for the skillset Egan has compared with his age that would be willing to pay the sums that would be required to return a "profit" on the transfer, it's not an indictment on Egan's quality, more a case of circumstances meaning that I don't see a sale (not that we should ever consider it) to realistically get what he is worth to us.

Nope, as stated in a future post I really don't see where there is a buyer for the skillset Egan has compared with his age that would be willing to pay the sums that would be required to return a "profit" on the transfer, it's not an indictment on Egan's quality, more a case of circumstances meaning that I don't see a sale (not that we should ever consider it) to realistically get what he is worth to us.
🤯

P.S. Fair enough on your point, we may never know.

Timing sales is a problem that we show no sign of addressing

I wonder what we rejected for Max Lowe?

Probably end up losing him for nowt as well

To be fair his age has crept up slightly on me, but for £5m? Southampton, Leeds, Leicester, Luton, Burnley, Everton and probably more in England (regardless of back 4/5 - pocket change for a good defender even if just a sub). Celtic, Rangers (maybe too pricey), probably some Italian teams... even Saudi they must need defenders over there as well.

He's a mainstay international defender with two Prem promotions and a top half Prem finish under his belt.

I'd be absolutely stunned if we couldn't flog him easily.
Egan-: Rangers 🤣🤣🤣🤣

What --are you on about Mancunian blade?
Arsenal paid millions for Ramsdale Bournemouth paid millions for Brooks.
All decent profits.

Who am I missing?

Anel for sure
Egan and Baldock maybe? Although they’re now 30 with 1 year left on their

Who am I missing?

Anel for sure
1. Isn’t this supposed to be a new initiative??? All those players were bought/sold under different managers. If we’re looking at Hecky then Anel would fetch at least 4 or 5 times times what we paid for him.
2. Not all players are bought to expect bigger fees once they finish their Blades careers. You have to factor in the value they have been to us rather than the sell on value.

As a fan base we seem to get stuck in the “typical United” mentality. Forget the past and realise that we are currently one of the top 20 clubs in the country and are planning to improve on previous recruitment strategies.

Back
Top Bottom