Quick thoughts from the game

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

LoughboroBlade

Reaction score
First game I've been able to get to this season - and first view of the new Wilson style.

We played really well. There wasn't a player out there today that didn't look hungry for the ball, and we played some lovely stuff at times. The movement throughout seems so much better, and we could (and should) have had 2 or 3 more.

Simmo 7/10 - looked comfortable, no flapping at crosses, and a couple of good saves 1st half
Lowton 7/10 - positionally seems to drift off at times when defending, but solid and supported our attacks well. Very unlucky to hit the bar after a great run from deep picked out by Ched
Williams 7/10 - didn't put a foot wrong, tidy on the ball
Collins 7.5/10 - didn't win everything against their big striker, but won a lot of second balls and passed it confidently. Rightly got a standing ovation when subbed due to injury
Maguire 8/10 - he does look as though he's one slip up from presenting a goalscoring chance when he's tryin to be a bit too clever on the ball, but I was really impressed with his overall performance today.
Williamson 7/10 - probably should have scored in the first half, but he was involved in a lot of the good passages of play today.
McDonald 7.5/10 - I like the look of this guy. Always looking for the pass to split their defensive, good work rate too.
Doyle 7.5/10 - pleasantly surprised by his performance. Read the game well today, kept the ball moving, and unlucky not to score.
Quinn 8/10 - his goal capped a good overall performance. A menace in the first half, quieter in the 2nd but always tried to get involved.
Porter 7/10 - lovely finish for the goal. Frustratingly offside on a number of good occasions. Touch was better than I expected given recent criticism.
Evans 8.5/10 - welcome back Ched. Thought he was excellent throughout and a constant threat. Opportunistic finish (shocking defending mind), very unlucky not to score a 2nd in the first half when his header came back off the bar. Work-rate was good, and he created a fair bit too. Linked up well with Porter.

Could have easily been 7 or 8 with a bit more clinical finishing. Thought we bossed the game from minute 1. Only negative today for me was the crowd.

Loved it. Confident and creative. Great performances all over the park. No weak link at all.

Special mentions for Simmo, Lowton, Harry, Quinny and top of the pile, Ched.

Well done again Danny. Thanks for bringing football back. Please give K-Mac longer than his 12 months: A proper footballer indeed, even at reduced fitness. When he's 100% we shall see the best player in this league in a Blades shirt.

Pass me another ale!

:beer:

Could have easily been 7 or 8 with a bit more clinical finishing. Thought we bossed the game from minute 1. Only negative today for me was the crowd.

The attendance was't helped by only around 200 from Colchester - but 15,783 is still higher than the average of every club in the Division apart from ours and the Pigs.

For people who have seen the last few games, what did you think of the Porter/Evans partnership in comparison with Porter/Cresswell? Big difference?

Secondly, neither Williamson or Quinn are out and out wingers, did our full backs' overlapping mean we had enough width, and would you like to see those two continue out wide?

Secondly, neither Williamson or Quinn are out and out wingers, did our full backs' overlapping mean we had enough width, and would you like to see those two continue out wide?

Lowton is so good attacking from deep that there's great sense in not playing a conventional winger in front of him.

For people who have seen the last few games, what did you think of the Porter/Evans partnership in comparison with Porter/Cresswell? Big difference?

Evans performances have been startling in all the circumstances. Porter is a frustrating player, occasionally looking languid and half-hearted but he is a finisher and that (obviously) matters. I would give them a run together.

Lowton and Williams (very impressed today) are as good as you'll get at full-back in this league. They are both quick, pass and move; and readily get forward to support the attack.

The balance was just right today. Sure, Willo and Quinny are not 'old-fashioned wingers' but, for me, they have the quality on the ball to make up for lightning pace or trickery. Again I'd go with them on today's evidence.

Evans performances have been startling in all the circumstances. Porter is a frustrating player, occasionally looking languid and half-hearted but he is a finisher and that (obviously) matters. I would give them a run together.

Lowton and Williams (very impressed today) are as good as you'll get at full-back in this league. They are both quick, pass and move; and readily get forward to support the attack.

The balance was just right today. Sure, Willo and Quinny are not 'old-fashioned wingers' but, for me, they have the quality on the ball to make up for lightning pace or trickery. Again I'd go with them on today's evidence.

Under used Willo second half, he, Lowton, Ched and Porter played some cracking football in the first half on the right wing. He also seems to have a good understanding with Macdonald today. I don't like him out wide but it worked well this match.

Porter and Evans were excellent together even though they didn't play close to each other they pulled the defence apart with great movement and this was capitalised on by the excellent Macdonald whos accuracy and vision was the catalyst for a great attacking performance. When looking at Evans and Macdonalds contribution though ,it was enhanced by a lot of donkey work by Doyle and Porter.

I prefer Willo in CM too Beech but I'd sooner have him as 'wide midfielder' than not in the team at all. K-Mac has to start when fit and the competition is (happily and for once) fierce for the second CM spot.

I do, though, like to see good players in the positions where they have proved themselves good players.

Oh, the riches...

That football today was as good as any i've seen United play on occasions. Agree with the above about McDonald, when fully fit and some games under his belt, he could be a top midfielder. Think everything about the team worked today. Evans with Porter up front gave us so much more mobility. I think these two have to start in the coming games, if Cresswell does come in then Porter will have to be sacrificed. Porter and Creswell together are far too static.

easy win today.. lowton isnt a natural fullback he is a midfielder making a good stab at it, which is why he is occaisionally out of position... collins and macguire (who was imperious) look good .. i dont get the point of doyle the poor mans monty.. i'd like to see williamson and macdonald start in the middle. stuff this holding midfielder polava.. the front two that started showed much more mobility than creswell does although porter needs to be cuter with a well drilled backline like colchesters who caught him constantly offside.. marks
simmo 6 good shot stopper but typical foreign keeper when it comes to crosses
lowton 6 occasionally out of position .. missed a sitter again but at least was there in the first place
williams 7 totally comfortable in this position
doyle 5 anonymous.. again.. a couple of crap shots
macguire 8 totally untroubled
collins 7 kept fine run of form going although opposition was poor
williamson 6 out of positon and his body language suggests he isn't happy there.. we all know how effective he is in the middle
macdonald 7 tidy passer.. makes space and seems to have loads of time when on the ball.. at last.. hurrah
quinn 7 usual (these days) shift from quinny
porter 7 good finish, improved as game went on .. looks better partner for ched
evans 8.. looks too good for this level

Absolutely beyond me how you can give Quinn a higher mark than Simmonsen or Doyle and the same as Macdonald.

Good team performance today, Hard to fault anyones effort and performance today well done lads UTB!!

Bloody hell! I'd better put my tin hat on!

After going two up early on, I thought United were far too sloppy in a lot of their play. Having established that platform, we should have truly put them to the sword but tried to be too fancy. In fact, at 2-0, if Colchester had scored (and they were buzzing around our area) it could have looked very different.

Yes, we hit the woodwork 3 times, but Lowton's was a poor effort - one-on-one with the goalie and inside the area and one of the others happened to hit the outside of the post when a cross was intended.

In the space of 5 days we've seen two sides of the Third Division (and also v. Walsall). Without a lot more ruthlessness, the better sides will punish us, whereas we will mostly get away with it against teams like Colchester.

While I'm setting myself up for an almighty backlash, I may as well add that Harry (what a star in the making) had better learn to forget the showboating when being closed down. Pretty soon, the attacker will guess which way he's going and we'll be in the shit.

More professional, and we'd be clear top now. A performance similar to today in 2 weeks (home to Charlton) and we'll get what we deserve.

Sorry, just my thoughts on a good win, but could have been a lot better. :)

yes , times are good when we get moaning about only winning 3-0
keep up the pessimism , keep taking the mogadons

tuesday was weird we played as well as we did today ,

steveanage lost 0-2 at home , thats weird

grafikhaus is right though. How many chances did we have today and only scored three. We probably won't be offered that many chances by Preston, Wednesday, Charlton etc. Need to start being clinical and ruthless.

That said, I'd have taken 3-0 before the game for certain and there were loads of bright spots. UTB!

who was doyle? simmo had nowt to do all match.. but other than that you agree with 8/11.. not bad then really? :D

easy win today.. lowton isnt a natural fullback he is a midfielder making a good stab at it, which is why he is occaisionally out of position... collins and macguire (who was imperious) look good .. i dont get the point of doyle the poor mans monty.. i'd like to see williamson and macdonald start in the middle. stuff this holding midfielder polava.. the front two that started showed much more mobility than creswell does although porter needs to be cuter with a well drilled backline like colchesters who caught him constantly offside.. marks
simmo 6 good shot stopper but typical foreign keeper when it comes to crosses
lowton 6 occasionally out of position .. missed a sitter again but at least was there in the first place
williams 7 totally comfortable in this position
doyle 5 anonymous.. again.. a couple of crap shots
macguire 8 totally untroubled
collins 7 kept fine run of form going although opposition was poor
williamson 6 out of positon and his body language suggests he isn't happy there.. we all know how effective he is in the middle
macdonald 7 tidy passer.. makes space and seems to have loads of time when on the ball.. at last.. hurrah
quinn 7 usual (these days) shift from quinny
porter 7 good finish, improved as game went on .. looks better partner for ched
evans 8.. looks too good for this level
Doyle was easy a 6 today did alot of work.
And As for Simonson being a typical foreign keeper. He is English

Simmo had nowt to do ? They had 9 attempts 5 on target in the first half alone ,what time did you get there ?

Thought both Evans and Porter were poor today. Slow in movement and slow in thought. Both not aware at what is going on around them i.e. drifting offside (Porter) and getting caught in possession (Evans) and both not bright and alert to what the rest of the team is creating for them. Porter in particular was getting on my wick with total disregard of the offside rule, it was schoolboy stuff. Certain strikers do play right on the line, Edwards and Saunders were good examples, but they were bright and alert and looking to jump offside; Porter was just oblivious to getting caught offside.

How things change,3-0 and some are still not happy. As DW says it's work in progress. Just remember one short year ago how bad it was.

Thought both Evans and Porter were poor today. Slow in movement and slow in thought. Both not aware at what is going on around them i.e. drifting offside (Porter) and getting caught in possession (Evans) and both not bright and alert to what the rest of the team is creating for them. Porter in particular was getting on my wick with total disregard of the offside rule, it was schoolboy stuff. Certain strikers do play right on the line, Edwards and Saunders were good examples, but they were bright and alert and looking to jump offside; Porter was just oblivious to getting caught offside.
You are joking right? It was Cheds best game for us

No not joking, think he's an awful so called striker. No pace, poor appreciation of what is happening around him and gets caught in possession far too easily.

No not joking, think he's an awful so called striker. No pace, poor appreciation of what is happening around him and gets caught in possession far too easily.

I know you are entitled to your opinion but I find this comment astonishing based on todays game........did you actually go because it doesn't sound like it ?

yes and Brian Deane was terrible and Tony Currie was a useless twat

I love some of our fans
If we d got Messi some would call him a short arse , no good in the air

I read owls fans sites and they back some right dross , we have 2 players coming back from injury still recuperating and some feel the need to slag them off incessantly

Yes went today and probably being harsh on Chedwyn today, but just don't like that type of striker. To me he's not an on the ball footballer, not sharp upstairs, lethargic in thought and movement.

Yes went today and probably being harsh on Chedwyn today, but just don't like that type of striker. To me he's not an on the ball footballer, not sharp upstairs, lethargic in thought and movement.

I think he has certainly shown those weaknesses in a lot of games he's played, but today he looked quicker (in thought and movement), and good on the ball. Considering that's his first start back from injury, I thought he was excellent.

Back
Top Bottom