Pundits ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

finlaytheblade

Reaction score
What's happening here !
There's a consensus happening that we dig results out ," this is typical Sheff Utd "
Where do they get this from ,history -?
Our biggest failing under Wilder has been our inability to dig results out he has finally got us doing this and according to the media that's us , "what a load of Bollox ". Very frustrating to be judged this way,we have finally found that elusive ingredient to add to the quality football we play most of the time.
8 games to go and these lads are getting stronger by the game,it was a tremendous effort yesterday on the back of the Brentford game

What's happening here !
There's a consensus happening that we dig results out ," this is typical Sheff Utd "
Where do they get this from ,history -?
Our biggest failing under Wilder has been our inability to dig results out he has finally got us doing this and according to the media that's us , "what a load of Bollox ". Very frustrating to be judged this way,we have finally found that elusive ingredient to add to the quality football we play most of the time.
8 games to go and these lads are getting stronger by the game,it was a tremendous effort yesterday on the back of the Brentford game

Listening to the first half commentary on sky yesterday, i was annoyed at first at how much they were wanking over leeds and how little credit we got for our defending.

But then I reminded my son that the only thing that matters is the scoreline. Not the possession, not the chances, nothing else.

Who cares what the commentators think. We played a perfect smash and grab yesterday. Yes we rode our luck and they missed chances, but we deserved to win through sheer
persistence and desire. Im also totally made up for Bash, what a player!! UTB

I personally love it when they do this kind of thing. Opposition fans do it all the time, use phrases such as “workman like”, “well organised”, “physical encounter”. They’re cliches from a bygone era but I openly welcome them and hope we’re still getting them next year in the Premiership.
I just hope the opposition managers believe them, which unfortunately is unlikely, as the punches that do the most damage are the ones you don’t see.

I personally love it when they do this kind of thing. Opposition fans do it all the time, use phrases such as “workman like”, “well organised”, “physical encounter”. They’re cliches from a bygone era but I openly welcome them and hope we’re still getting them next year in the Premiership.
I just hope the opposition managers believe them, which unfortunately is unlikely, as the punches that do the most damage are the ones you don’t see.
True, and it's as if being organised and workmanlike is for some reason a bad thing. Leets play a 'high pressing game' and that's fine, we 'stifle the opposition' and 'stop them playing' which is not. To be fair, the real pundits have been pretty good this season and recognise exactly what we're all about, it's the ones who haven't taken the time to watch us and just trot out all the old cliches, as opposition fans do.

As Tufty said post-match, this is probably the 1st time under his tenure that we have beaten a 'top team' having not played particularly well.

Someone commented that our football was only one step up from Middlesbrough. Unbelievable.
And that’s what we’ll get because at the moment our defence is the easy stat.
Before that it was how our defence can be got at and they fold if pressured. Before that our away form was poor due to our overlapping centre halves and gung ho nature leaves opportunities at the back.
I think the truth takes a little more insight and investigation but they just want to look at the table and spout from what they’ve heard or can surmise in a few minutes.

I don't really know what pundits add, most just state the obvious. If it's the ex-professionals viewpoint, the goalies incident needs comment. Its a far better tactic for Billy to go down, win the red card, so Leeds lose their first choice for Millwall- than score. Billy's intelligence shines through and shows how our game management has improved.

Hasselbaink was pretty poor yesterday, he was suggesting that he'd seen our prevous 6 or 7 games and that we didn't defend very well yesterday in comparison. I don't believe he's watched our games and we defended well after the first 20 mins.

My Dad would never make a pundit, I rang him after the Villa game and he told me "we'll never get promoted, we can't keep a clean sheet". I asked him if he'd like to revise his comments recently and he just said "I still won't believe it until the season is over". No wonder I'm a pessimist at heart.

Hasselbaink was pretty poor yesterday, he was suggesting that he'd seen our prevous 6 or 7 games and that we didn't defend very well yesterday in comparison
If say that was pretty accurate, at least in the first half.

So much of our defence is simply keeping the ball usually though, so when we are playingpl team like Leeds it's hardly a surprise that we look different.

Get used to it. Next season we’ll be expected to lose 5-0 every week

Hasselbaink was pretty poor yesterday, he was suggesting that he'd seen our prevous 6 or 7 games and that we didn't defend very well yesterday in comparison. I don't believe he's watched our games and we defended well after the first 20 mins.

My Dad would never make a pundit, I rang him after the Villa game and he told me "we'll never get promoted, we can't keep a clean sheet". I asked him if he'd like to revise his comments recently and he just said "I still won't believe it until the season is over". No wonder I'm a pessimist at heart.
Your Dad’s an old-school Blade, mate, just like me....give him my regards

Never worried about ignorant pundits.

I just laugh rather than get angry. I just think about how stupid they make themselves look.

Plus I'm happy being under estimated.

I am convinced most pundits don't even watch the games, certainly not the whole match anyway. They just probably turn up 1 hour before recording have their make up done, look at the results and pick whichever cliche suits that game.
Its been the same since Match of the Day started.
Sky, Football league goals show or whatever its called now, talk sport or 5 live could do alot worse than hire Benjamin Bloom. Send him to a game and get a fair unbiased report from somebody who's actually watched the whole game.

Sky, Football league goals show or whatever its called now, talk sport or 5 live could do alot worse than hire Benjamin Bloom. Send him to a game and get a fair unbiased report from somebody who's actually watched the whole game.

I like Benjamin, he seems to be at all our matches and has a much more detailed recall of the game than I do.

I have no idea how he makes his money, but he earns it and he surely can’t have that detailed level of knowledge about many teams in the Championship.

I like Benjamin, he seems to be at all our matches and has a much more detailed recall of the game than I do.

I have no idea how he makes his money, but he earns it and he surely can’t have that detailed level of knowledge about many teams in the Championship.

I don't know if you look at his blog he is always at a championship game, sometimes two a week, and his assessment of all the Championship teams at new year was pretty good.

Not so with our very own media superfan , the peerless Colin Murray on EFL on Quest .

The first 20 mins. of last night's show were dedicated to our match and the longer it went on , the more it became a Blades love fest and included excellent interviews with Bash , Billy , Michael Brown and Sir Chris .

Anyone who didn't watch it missed a real treat .

Listening to the first half commentary on sky yesterday, i was annoyed at first at how much they were wanking over leeds and how little credit we got for our defending.

But then I reminded my son that the only thing that matters is the scoreline. Not the possession, not the chances, nothing else.

Who cares what the commentators think. We played a perfect smash and grab yesterday. Yes we rode our luck and they missed chances, but we deserved to win through sheer
persistence and desire. Im also totally made up for Bash, what a player!! UTB

All fine by me.

We have tightened up the way we play since conceding 3 in 10 mins at Villa but the longer other people underestimate us, and think that's the only way we can play, the better it is for mine.

Substance over style is fine at this stage of the season when we're at the top end of the league.

Not so with our very own media superfan , the peerless Colin Murray on EFL on Quest .

The first 20 mins. of last night's show were dedicated to our match and the longer it went on , the more it became a Blades love fest and included excellent interviews with Bash , Billy , Michael Brown and Sir Chris .

Anyone who didn't watch it missed a real treat .
Right that's it, you've sent me to the tele to watch the recording :)

He definitely doesn't make it through YouTube. I half expected him to have shit loads of views and followers, but his videos barely make 2000.

Yet some professional pundits such as Ian Holloway, Andy Hinchcliffe, Paul Cook have praised us to the heavens. Kemal Roofe interviewed by Sky yesterday says that we’re the sort of top opposition that players come into the game to play against. Who gives a shit what some tosser on a rival clubs website thinks. It’s enlightening to read how fans cope with a loss, anger, denial, etc

I am convinced most pundits don't even watch the games, certainly not the whole match anyway. They just probably turn up 1 hour before recording have their make up done, look at the results and pick whichever cliche suits that game.
Its been the same since Match of the Day started.

Good to listen to is Benjamin. Our Travelling Blade is good as well, wears his heart on his sleeve, although at times a bit too negative comparing us to other teams at times

Not so with our very own media superfan , the peerless Colin Murray on EFL on Quest.

I thought the interview with Tufty was the best manager interview I have ever seen in terms of its staging.

They are just sitting side by side on a step or something like 2 mates having a chat. The fact that both have loads of knowledge, that they really get on and that they are both good blokes is totally clear.

Magic Colin

I tend not to worry what pundits say as often they just speak for the sake of speaking. My own view, for what it's worth, is that the Villa game changed us. I suspect the players and management, as the season nears its end, chose to move from the more Gung Ho attitude to a more reserved one. I think this has meant we have become a tad more defensive.
The most apposite comment, came from a Leed's fan, "we mugged them at the lane and they mugged us yesterday". Our defence got lucky yesterday, let's be honest.
On our day we can play football as beautifully and efficiently as anyone in this division. I think we are choosing to get results over beauty. Let's be honest, the media have always had us down as a Warnockesque team. Our more defensive set up just plays into the hands of those lazy, ignorant and stupid pillocks the media employ as 'experts'. I love watching us at the moment; this team has awoken my love for the game. So stuff what others think.

I thought Don Goodman was pretty good yesterday, which is about the highest praise I'll give a commentator as they all drive me to fucking distraction. The main commentator is always searching for the bon mot and his sidekick ex pro can never usually overcome his own prejudices.

If I see one more game where the ball bounces off someone and the twat with the mic tells me he "failed to get it under his spell".......

I have no idea what the selection criteria is for ex pro pundits and I have never understood why it's necessary to find some ex player of either team. May as well go the whole hog and grab some scarf-festooned punter out of the stands. If they're going to let these people I had forgotten about give me their earnest and often idiotic opinions they could at least try and make it entertaining. For that reason I really, really miss Roy Keane.

I thought Michael Brown, Colin Murray and Kemar Roofe were at it before the game started on Quest. Bielsa has 'sprinkled stardust over the squad' :rolleyes:, the other Leeds players taking the piss out of Roofe is a sign of their 'team spirit' etc. etc.

Bielsa, considering he's never won anything, is enjoying a media wank-in. He'll be gone before Wilder.

Listening to the first half commentary on sky yesterday, i was annoyed at first at how much they were wanking over leeds and how little credit we got for our defending. UTB

Someone (forget who) said in the shoutbox during first half 'will somebody please give this Sky commentator a wank ..he's so backed up with Leeds he's bursting' or words to that effect. Made me spit me tea out!

Someone (forget who) said in the shoutbox during first half 'will somebody please give this Sky commentator a wank ..he's so backed up with Leeds he's bursting' or words to that effect. Made me spit me tea out!
It wasn’t me but they must have my front room bugged because that’s virtually word for word what I was saying

Get used to it. Next season we’ll be expected to lose 5-0 every week
But if we can get 3red cards a game then match abandoned and only a 3 0 loss against the cheque book league..

Back
Top Bottom