Projectors (watching the Blades)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Klaatu Barada Nikto

Reaction score
I’ve got a nice white wall out the back of KBN Towers which is just begging to have the seasons remaining games projected on to it.

anyone got a decent projector they can recommend that works well outdoors?

5D17D1CD-6590-42BC-9CA9-5DDB3E9AB116.jpeg

I’ve got a nice white wall out the back of KBN Towers which is just begging to have the seasons remaining games projected on to it.

View attachment 81958

I'll tell you when I've tested it :)

I'd still use a screen though.

View attachment 81958

Done same thing mate, bought a cheap one off eBay, worked well in house at night so was looking forward to setting it up outside the next day, set it up but couldn’t see anything in daylight and I mean not a thing. Did a bit of research and read a minimum of 3000 lumens was needed so I ended up buying a better one from amazon. Result: managed to get a picture in a shaded area of my garden but in strong sunlight even under full shade I have to have the projector close so I get about a 50 inch screen, as the sun starts going down I can pull the projector back to increase screen size, in full darkness it’s pretty impressive how good the picture is and the projection size. Still watchable strong daylight but you really have to create some shade to stand a chance, also I bought a grey screen from eBay that really helps during the day.

You can get 60"+ 4K TVs for around £300/350 nowadays if you have a quick look on a few retailers sale areas. Probably bigger and cheaper if you get standard HD.

Maybe something to look into. I know projectors start from that sort of money and go up to thousands.

The Banner Cross Inn, at Banner Cross (where else?) has a deceptively large garden out the back. When the footy is on they have a big screen outside if the weather is nice. I watched a fascinating play-off game there a few years ago, called "Yeovil v Blades". It had a funny ending. Although the picture wasn't bad, it was nowhere near as good as watching it on the big screen inside the pub.

Technology has moved on considerably since then in terms of projectors. As someone has said, if you are going to use a projector outdoors the most important feature is LUMENS. And you need at least 3000 of them. The best value for money projector out there at the moment, with a minimum of 3000 lumens, is this one...

EPSON EB-S41 PROJECTOR

1591586834192.png

It's got 3,300 lumens and will cost you £300.

If that's too much money then watch it indoors instead.

The Banner Cross Inn, at Banner Cross (where else?) has a deceptively large garden out the back. When the footy is on they have a big screen outside if the weather is nice. I watched a fascinating play-off game there a few years ago, called "Yeovil v Blades". It had a funny ending. Although the picture wasn't bad, it was nowhere near as good as watching it on the big screen inside the pub.

Technology has moved on considerably since then in terms of projectors. As someone has said, if you are going to use a projector outdoors the most important feature is LUMENS. And you need at least 3000 of them. The best value for money projector out there at the moment, with a minimum of 3000 lumens, is this one...

EPSON EB-S41 PROJECTOR

View attachment 82201

One of these would just about do the job. (Sony VW870ES)

51VgnQJcjdL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

It's £24,995, but you need the best for watching the Blades.

If anyone wishes to try it, they are welcome to borrow my old projector.
1591602449938.png

I don't think it will be much good for watching t' Blades on though as it only does slides.

I've now got a much newer model, one of these...

1591602541410.png
Lovely bit of kit this. You just have to remember to put the slides in the right way round and be careful when you are loading it as it can open and all your slides fall on the floor.

I am looking forward to the end of lockdown so we can have the neighbours round and I can show them all our holiday snaps in a slide show.

EPSON EB-S41 PROJECTOR

View attachment 82201

Actually the one I bought and was on offer £259 on amazon 3 weeks ago.
Someone mentioned buying a big tv for the right money and I get that but thing is you can’t leave a big tv hung outside on a wall for days on end thanks to the good old UK weather so would be a pain in the arse to hook it up every time you fancied a bit of viewing not to mention where you gonna store it when it’s not hung outside, projector just gets put in kitchen cabinet til next time 👍

Got one in the shed/summer house with Netflix and Amazon prime and iPlayer etc on it . Just need to get a hdmi cable running from the house to it to get sports on it and that's me sorted for summer.

Went with the Epson TW650 for a balance of value and lumens/contrast. It was a toss up between that and the similarly priced Optoma DLP.

Not had chance to test outside yet, but its fine in a bright room. If a little noisey fan wise depending on your settings.

Its gone up £100 since I got it.

I don't have a projector, but my brother does. Replacement bulbs can be quite pricey, so I've heard.
They are and (they may have upped their game now), but back when I bought a projector (2005 ish), you were talking about 200 hours life and the replacements back then were £200-300 quid.

Sounds like you lads are using them wrong.
You're not supposed to aim them at a wall
Shine them direct in your face. Works in bright sunshine and gives a Virtual reality experience. Sorted.

Actually the one I bought and was on offer £259 on amazon 3 weeks ago.
Someone mentioned buying a big tv for the right money and I get that but thing is you can’t leave a big tv hung outside on a wall for days on end thanks to the good old UK weather so would be a pain in the arse to hook it up every time you fancied a bit of viewing not to mention where you gonna store it when it’s not hung outside, projector just gets put in kitchen cabinet til next time 👍

You got a good deal there pal. Best price currently is John Lewis at £299.

I've not got one of these but this thread has made me think about it. I could probably buy one on the company because my work tends to involve me or others doing slide presentations and stuff. It might come in handy for watching the footy. I've got a big screen TV inside the house, but I don't have Sky, so I usually buy a Now TV pass and watch it on the computer. I've tried linking the computer up to the TV but Sky must do something to prevent that from being possible, because it won't work. So if I got myself a little projector I could beam it from the computer to a wall I suppose. Might have to scrape the Indian flock wallpaper off first and remove the photo of the mother-in-law though, (from the dartboard).

You can get "outdoor TV's". They are special bits of kit encased in a weatherproof box. They are not very common here in the UK but I've seen them many times abroad in pubs and restaurants. I imagine they'd cost a fortune though? And it's like anything else...would you really get good use out of it? I think you've probably done the best thing buying the projector.

Well actually, "the best thing" is being there in person, but seeing as we've no chance of doing that for a while, the next best thing is gathering round a projected image with up to 5 other people from the same household that you haven't exchanged bodily fluids with and having a beer - even if it does mean punching a hole in your face mask and inserting a straw from your gob to the pint pot! :oops:

I don't have a projector, but my brother does. Replacement bulbs can be quite pricey, so I've heard.

Yes you're right. And they seem to go quite frequently. Anyone reading this who's bought a projector for watching the games - make sure you've got a spare bulb handy. The problem is, they blow very easily and it's often down to operator malfunction. You have to switch the projector on and let it warm up a bit before you start - and at the end you have to let it gradually cool down when switching it off. There are controls that do this for you, but if some idiot just pulls the plug out or flicks the power switch - kaput! That's a new bulb you'll need.

I've tried linking the computer up to the TV but Sky must do something to prevent that from being possible, because it won't work.
£30 Firestick with some free apps plugged into back of projector sorts this conundrum 👍

£30 Firestick with some free apps plugged into back of projector sorts this conundrum 👍
ooh! now that's a very valuable tip. I'll ask my clever son to get me one of these firesticks. You're not the first person to mention it but I haven't a clue what one is.

If it works though it will be a big bonus because it's going to be a bit tight with all of us gathered round my Commodore 64 watching the game.

Many thanks for the tip! 👍

Back
Top Bottom